Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Loot Ninja seems to think so:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loot Ninja.com View Post

After reading countless initial reviews of the Move today, I started wondering to myself if I was going to pickup the new peripheral. I am usually the first to jump on any new technology, especially when they deal with video games. However after E3 earlier this year, I wasn’t convinced that I would be purchasing the new motion sensor controls come September.

But here we are with the launch only a couple weeks away and the reviews are in. With mostly positive opinions [of the hardware], I started to convince myself that the Move is going to be a worthy pickup. Not only that, but that it will blow the Wii out of the water. With more precision and better graphics, there is no way Nintendo can keep up without releasing a next generation system. I am not saying graphics make or break a system (it’s all about the games), but nice visuals always help turn consumers minds when making a purchase.

Don’t get me wrong, the Wii has plenty of great games that do not solely rely on motion controls such as Zelda and Mario. But for me, I just don’t find myself playing those games too often. I pick the games up on launch, play a little, and then get tired of flicking this, and doing that, however slight the motions may be. Motion control games are meant for parties and multiplayer games. With the PS3, you get the best of both worlds. An amazing game platform with classic controls and HD graphics, along with the added bonus of motion control that you can have a blast with friends playing.

In regards to the Kinect, I think that stands on it’s own pedestal and can coexist with the Sony Move. Having the Wii sensor bar in addition to these other peripherals will start to make my TV look like the robot from Short Circuit. Come launch day, my Wii and the plethora of games I have accumulated, will be having a burial service at Gamestop where I will upgrade to the future of gaming. It was a glorious ride Wii, but it is time we move on and go our separate ways.

I'm not so sure that Move/Kinect are Wii's demise, but it could hasten the launch of WiiHD, or put Ninty's focus on 3DS and their ongoing handheld gaming dominance.

Bolded portion of the quote above: I wonder how long before Sony fans are saying the same thing about waggle...

-vdz

[and off the post topic entirely, but...]
I fully expect their next console to be integrated with the 3DS (or whatever N is selling at the time), and wouldn't surprise me at all to see a console/handheld hybrid system in the near future. Well, 10 year future.

A console base, probably with limited functionality, that's controlled via the portable device makes me all snuggly inside. Make it tied to my account, all the games digitally distributed or at least able to be backed up from physical media, playable as handheld games or from anyone's base (with 0 load time, of course)... day one for me

But I bet Apple makes it first, G!*%#@ it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 09-02-2010, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't think this guy has any damn clue what he is talking about. He's making the same dumb argument that people have been wrong about since 2006: that the Wii is doomed because the graphics aren't good enough. When will they learn?

Why does anyone think a ~$130 peripheral from Sony will hasten the demise of the Wii? The Move looks cool but not that cool. The ball is still in Wii's court. Sony has a lot of work ahead of them, to convince people they need to spend $130 on the Move or $400 on the PS3 bundle. Nintendo just needs to keep up the momentum and that is a much easier job.
post #3 of 23 Old 09-02-2010, 12:55 PM

Liked: 93
"Loot Ninja seems to think so:"

Loot Ninja is obviously a ****** then.
post #4 of 23 Old 09-03-2010, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

I don't think this guy has any damn clue what he is talking about. He's making the same dumb argument that people have been wrong about since 2006: that the Wii is doomed because the graphics aren't good enough. When will they learn?

Why does anyone think a ~$130 peripheral from Sony will hasten the demise of the Wii? The Move looks cool but not that cool. The ball is still in Wii's court. Sony has a lot of work ahead of them, to convince people they need to spend $130 on the Move or $400 on the PS3 bundle. Nintendo just needs to keep up the momentum and that is a much easier job.

Totally agree here, although I think momentum is waning- and will keep waning regardless of platform, graphics, accuracy, etc- until there's a new trick involved. 3D, interaction, social networking, something will have to up the ante. Just "better than" is not a game changer.

Another piece on the Move's introduction:this time from the NY Times:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytimes.com View Post

The Sony Move system borrows tricks from both Microsoft Kinect and the Wii, and puts it all into one system, for twice the price. But it will only play a dozen games, compared with the Wii's roughly 1,700. Sony has a lot of catching up to do.

I like the idea of realistic graphics with motion control, but at this point it's not going to suddenly change gaming as much as Wii did in 2006.

-vdz
post #5 of 23 Old 09-22-2010, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Wii isnt going anywhere. Nintendo has owned the video game world since 1985. Nintendo has outlasted every system there is/was including sega. If anything that PSP is going into the recycle bin.
post #6 of 23 Old 09-22-2010, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
If anything, Move (i.e. Wii HD) is probably going to hasten a new home console from the big N a tad sooner....or not.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #7 of 23 Old 09-22-2010, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
For me personally, I feel the Move is to the WM+ as the WM+ is to the stock Wiimote. The added level of tracking added by the camera completely changes things.

I do still love my Wii for the first party stuff, but I imagine the world of Wii exclusives is going to get a lot smaller. To someone without the cash/desire/gaming time to invest in a PS3, a Wii will be perfect. But personally, I don't think my Wii will get much love outside of the first party games and back catalog.

Chris Schempp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PSN - Mandos_eD
post #8 of 23 Old 09-22-2010, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Schempp View Post

For me personally, I feel the Move is to the WM+ as the WM+ is to the stock Wiimote. The added level of tracking added by the camera completely changes things.

I do still love my Wii for the first party stuff, but I imagine the world of Wii exclusives is going to get a lot smaller. To someone without the cash/desire/gaming time to invest in a PS3, a Wii will be perfect. But personally, I don't think my Wii will get much love outside of the first party games and back catalog.

Have you noticed any lag in Move at all? I have read where some early on are saying there is a very slight delay btwn your motion & the action on-screen.

Granted, this could also be chalked up to what my work's IT Dept call "ID 10 T" errors.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #9 of 23 Old 09-22-2010, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

Have you noticed any lag in Move at all? I have read where some early on are saying there is a very slight delay btwn your motion & the action on-screen.

Granted, this could also be chalked up to what my work's IT Dept call "ID 10 T" errors.

Honestly, if there is lag, it's so negligible on Sports Champions that I haven't noticed it. It really feels just perfect.

Chris Schempp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PSN - Mandos_eD
post #10 of 23 Old 09-22-2010, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

why would you want to play any game on the Wii thats on another console you own?
post #11 of 23 Old 09-22-2010, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbicich View Post

why would you want to play any game on the Wii thats on another console you own?

Because it had a good implementation of motion control? Okami is really the only one I can think of that was on multiple consoles that I wanted where I bought it for the Wii.

Chris Schempp

PSN - Mandos_eD
post #12 of 23 Old 09-22-2010, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:

To someone without the cash/desire/gaming time to invest in a PS3, a Wii will be perfect. But personally, I don't think my Wii will get much love outside of the first party games and back catalog.

Close to the truth there. I have the cash, but not the desire or time to waste on acquiring a frickin' PS3 and software (games) to run it, so I'll stick with the Wii. My sense from among the dozens of Wii owners I know is that no one is hard core enough to want to spend $$ for dubious PS3 benefits.

This will not be true for die-hard gamers, of course, but millions and millions of Wii owners are NOT hard core, so there's little interest in PS3 Move or XBox or anything else.

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
post #13 of 23 Old 09-22-2010, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen View Post

Totally agree here, although I think momentum is waning- and will keep waning regardless of platform, graphics, accuracy, etc- until there's a new trick involved. 3D, interaction, social networking, something will have to up the ante. Just "better than" is not a game changer.

Another piece on the Move's introduction:this time from the NY Times:

I like the idea of realistic graphics with motion control, but at this point it's not going to suddenly change gaming as much as Wii did in 2006.

-vdz

I don't know where the NYTimes gets twice the price of the wii and the kinect? If they got the cost as the cost of the PS3 system with Move bundle, then it certainly isn't close to twice as much as the kinect since you need a 360 too. Not to mention a PS3 does a hell of a lot more than the wii.

And I doubt the Wii has 1,700 games to play on it, and even if it did only a fraction of those use motion control (let alone use it well). The Move isn't a freaking console like the Wii is, why would there be more games to choose from for a peripheral than a whole console?

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #14 of 23 Old 09-22-2010, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

The bottom line is that regardless of how advanced the PS Move is, or how much better it is than the Wii (the PS Move is technically better in every way), it will never gain enough traction to be a threat to Nintendo's business.

Ultimately, the PS Move is an accessory, and no accessory in the history of video games has ever sold 1 to 1 with hardware, which is what is needed to get full publisher support. The majority of 3rd Party publishers (EA, Capcom, Square, etc.) will look at the PS Move sales numbers, see that only a small percentage of PS3 owners have the PS Move, and opt not take on the cost to support it. Without full publisher support, potential PS Move customers will see the small selection of games available for it and opt not to buy it. It is a vicious circle, and the only way to make it work is to include the controller with the launch of new hardware.

So the best Sony can hope for, is that the PS Move will generate some positive publicity for them for being a company that is continuing to advance their technologies, and use this as a stepping stone for the launch of PS4 with the next gen of PS Move bundled in.

- Tim

post #15 of 23 Old 09-23-2010, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

The bottom line is that regardless of how advanced the PS Move is, or how much better it is than the Wii (the PS Move is technically better in every way), it will never gain enough traction to be a threat to Nintendo's business.

Ultimately, the PS Move is an accessory, and no accessory in the history of video games has ever sold 1 to 1 with hardware, which is what is needed to get full publisher support. The majority of 3rd Party publishers (EA, Capcom, Square, etc.) will look at the PS Move sales numbers, see that only a small percentage of PS3 owners have the PS Move, and opt not take on the cost to support it. Without full publisher support, potential PS Move customers will see the small selection of games available for it and opt not to buy it. It is a vicious circle, and the only way to make it work is to include the controller with the launch of new hardware.

So the best Sony can hope for, is that the PS Move will generate some positive publicity for them for being a company that is continuing to advance their technologies, and use this as a stepping stone for the launch of PS4 with the next gen of PS Move bundled in.

Well, I don't know exactly what this says for it, but there were so many people on Sports Champions this weekend that you couldn't access the leader boards in the game. Could be poor planning on Sony's part or it could be much better than expected sales.

Either way, you're right, it's no where near 1:1, but hopefully Sony can keep the Move from becoming waggle 2.0.

Chris Schempp

PSN - Mandos_eD
post #16 of 23 Old 09-23-2010, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The majority of 3rd Party publishers (EA, Capcom, Square, etc.) will look at the PS Move sales numbers, see that only a small percentage of PS3 owners have the PS Move, and opt not take on the cost to support it. Without full publisher support, potential PS Move customers will see the small selection of games available for it and opt not to buy it. It is a vicious circle, and the only way to make it work is to include the controller with the launch of new hardware.

Move already has support from a lot of developers. EA is even bringing over Dead Space: Extraction (which bombed on Wii) to the PS3.

I think if the Move provides a tangible gameplay upgrade over the DS3 with established genres on the system it will be a success. I have read really good things about the Move with MAG, an FPS. If it makes FPS games better FPS fans will buy it and it will do fine.
post #17 of 23 Old 09-23-2010, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbicich View Post

So I can swing around a pretend lightsaber like an idiot

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #18 of 23 Old 09-23-2010, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, I don't know exactly what this says for it, but there were so many people on Sports Champions this weekend that you couldn't access the leader boards in the game. Could be poor planning on Sony's part or it could be much better than expected sales.

Either way, you're right, it's no where near 1:1, but hopefully Sony can keep the Move from becoming waggle 2.0.

Quote:

Move already has support from a lot of developers. EA is even bringing over Dead Space: Extraction (which bombed on Wii) to the PS3.

I think if the Move provides a tangible gameplay upgrade over the DS3 with established genres on the system it will be a success. I have read really good things about the Move with MAG, an FPS. If it makes FPS games better FPS fans will buy it and it will do fine.

No argument from me that PS Move is a great controller and better than Wii Remote, but again from a business perspective it is very unlikely that it will achieve mass appeal.

The current enthusiam for the PS Move is pretty typical market behavior. You have a strong line-up of 1st Party titles and support from key 3rd Party publishers at launch that produces a spike in interest from early adopters, then there is a steady decline in interest after the newness wears off and people realize that the only companies making games for the accessory are Sony and a handful of 3rd Party publishers.

With accessories you always end up with the same unsolvable puzzle. PS Move won't gain mass appeal unless it has full publisher support and you won't get full publisher support unless EVERY PS3 owner purchases a PS Move. So you either give away the accessory for free or you include it at launch of new hardware. There are no other solutions.

- Tim

post #19 of 23 Old 09-23-2010, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't think it's unsolvable, especially if Sony makes it very easy to support the Move, and apparently they have.

You also don't need 100% of owners to buy something before it's supported. I mean, it's not like every single PS3 owner has their system hooked up to the internet with a PSN account. Yet games are supported. Not every Wii owner has a classic controller but games come out with CC support.

All you need is "enough." Of course, "enough" is vague and mainly a function of how expensive it is to put it in. If you can make the same game you were making before, and drop in Move support, it's not a big deal and can get you extra attention.

We'll see what happens.
post #20 of 23 Old 09-23-2010, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

The key difference between what you and I are saying is that I'm talking about the PS Move achieving *mass* appeal, and turning the PS3 into the must-have, top-selling system. I'm not saying that PS Move will fail and die, but if the end goal is to broaden interest in PS3 to more than hard core gamers, and to crack into Nintendo's market share, Sony needs to show the average joe consumer that the PS Move is strongly supported with a large library of games. Well, that and it needs to competitive in price. At $399 for the PS3 / Move bundle vs. $199 for the Wii, the PS3 / Move is still only going to appeal to the dedicated gamer. Not a bad thing, but not something that will result in the "demise of the Wii", which is the subject of this thread.

- Tim

post #21 of 23 Old 09-23-2010, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
As long as you have a wife and kid(s) in the house, especially if there is already a DS on the premises, the Wii isnt going anywhere. Even though 90 percent of the games are absolutely worthless. Go figure. I didnt get the Move right away for one reason which is the only games they have for it right now is the same crap im not buying for the Wii. Wii first person only please. Xbox 360 slightly more than first person. PS3 just about all multi platform games. Wii has a solid VC library and can play the 10 Gamecube games that are solid over component(rather than drop $60 for GC cables). Its pretty cheap, and will always have more kids stuff than PS3. ICarly may suck but its still ICarly. I think if anything the Move, plus the probable upgrades for the Wii will send the XBOX Kinect into the same warehouse where all Nintendo Gloves and Sega handhelds are sitting. What the hell is Microsoft thinking here. The XBOX demographic doesnt want to move their whole body around as the controller, they want to blow **** up.
post #22 of 23 Old 09-23-2010, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm talking about the PS Move achieving *mass* appeal, and turning the PS3 into the must-have, top-selling system.

Well I don't think that is going to happen, ever. I said as much in the beginning of the thread.
post #23 of 23 Old 09-23-2010, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well I don't think that is going to happen, ever. I said as much in the beginning of the thread.

No worries.

As a long time gamer I think the PS Move is great tech, and it is good for the growth of the video game industry, so even if it doesn't take over the market, it is still a good option to have for those games that do use it well.

- Tim

Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page