Best Wii S-video cable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 09-08-2010, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As there are plenty of inexpensive and good quality alternatives to Nintendo's own component video cable, I'd like to turn the discussion to another video format; S-video. As with all analog video, a good S-video signal depends upon maintaining 75 ohm cable and connector impedance along with proper shielding. Properly constructed analog audio would include such qualities as proper shielding and low capacitance. Now the real problem I've found when shopping for a cable for any game console is that manufacturers rarely--if ever--include the specifications for it. If there does indeed exist a well built alternative to Nintendo's own cable, please inform me. I don't buy into the idea that just because often times video game consoles are categorized under "inexpensive consumer electronics" that we should sacrifice qualities in accessory construction that have objectively been proven to maintain electronic signals properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-09-2010, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

hmm, perhaps no 3rd party manufacturer has taken the time to slap together some good cables for video game consoles? Don't tell me Monster is the only one out there that invests anything worthwhile into video games? I am not about to pay 100% in markups for comparable products that can be had for far less...damn you proprietary connectors!
post #3 of 15 Old 09-09-2010, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Have you searched Monoprice.com? They have a link here @ the top of every AVS page.

Here - did the legwork for you...

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

S-Video + L/R audio to Wii A/V jack. Just what you were looking for?

They sell excellent quality AV cables/supplies for relative pennies compared to most brick & mortar retailers. Fast delivery, too. I have bought EVERY AV cable I've needed for the last 3+ yrs from Monoprice, as well a few other items. Always received a quality product.

As to the specs, they may or may not show them on the page, but they should be able to confirm online or over the phone any tech details you desire. I've yet to have them send me anything remotely close to a "cheap" quality cable.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #4 of 15 Old 09-09-2010, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
If you're looking for good video quality, why would you choose an S-video cable instead of a 480p-capable component video cable?

Free over the air HDTV + Tivo HD + Netflix for Blu-ray and streaming = Bliss
post #5 of 15 Old 09-10-2010, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboG View Post

If you're looking for good video quality, why would you choose an S-video cable instead of a 480p-capable component video cable?

Well unfortunately, James, I am not currently in possession of a television set that can display 480p images. Just a decent enough quality CRT that can still benefit from a upgrade in interconnect quality.

EDIT: I am becoming more and more intrigued by monoprice. I really am scratching my head while attempting to figure out how they make such functionally really good to great quality AV products while maintaining an absurdly low price point for most items they have in stock.
post #6 of 15 Old 09-10-2010, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedrein View Post

Well unfortunately, James, I am not currently in possession of a television set that can display 480p images. Just a decent enough quality CRT that can still benefit from a upgrade in interconnect quality.

EDIT: I am becoming more and more intrigued by monoprice. I really am scratching my head while attempting to figure out how they make such functionally really good to great quality AV products while maintaining an absurdly low price point for most items they have in stock.

Oh, stop scratching your head & pull the trigger!!

Actually, a CRT display is often the best type for the Wii, in terms of smoothing out/masking those pesky "jaggies". It can be a crap shoot w/ newer HDTV tech - Wii PQ will depend greatly on the display's internal scaler. W/ CRT, if it's normally a decent to good looking picture, the Wii PQ should be just fine. No scaler concerns at all.

Some of the best looking Wii images I have seen have been on the calibrated/tweaked CRT RPTV in my house.

I assume it's volume & little overhead that help Monoprice keep the prices low.

The Wii S-Video cable I linked to you will set up back about $5-6 after S&H. It'll be the best "cheap" cable you will have ever purchased.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #7 of 15 Old 09-10-2010, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedrein View Post

I really am scratching my head while attempting to figure out how they make such functionally really good to great quality AV products while maintaining an absurdly low price point for most items they have in stock.

Their prices are in line with what cable "should" cost. It is not a case of them being able to sell at an 'absurdly low price", but more most others sell at a "ridiculous high price" and some at "obscene high prices" It really is not that much cost that goes in to a video cable.

Barry
post #8 of 15 Old 09-10-2010, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

Oh, stop scratching your head & pull the trigger!!

Actually, a CRT display is often the best type for the Wii, in terms of smoothing out/masking those pesky "jaggies". It can be a crap shoot w/ newer HDTV tech - Wii PQ will depend greatly on the display's internal scaler. W/ CRT, if it's normally a decent to good looking picture, the Wii PQ should be just fine. No scaler concerns at all.

Some of the best looking Wii images I have seen have been on the calibrated/tweaked CRT RPTV in my house.

I assume it's volume & little overhead that help Monoprice keep the prices low.

The Wii S-Video cable I linked to you will set up back about $5-6 after S&H. It'll be the best "cheap" cable you will have ever purchased.

Alright alright, I just bought the thing (I can't imagine I'll be disappointed for under $6). I can definitely say I prefer how a CRT displays Wii graphics versus most HDtv's. Especially because most of the content I play is from the Virtual Console. Retro games were undeniably meant to be experienced on a tube set imo.
post #9 of 15 Old 09-10-2010, 01:49 PM

Liked: 93
Just about everyone calls up the same couple of factories in China and tells them, "I want a cable of this style to sell to my customers". Some companies also add "Add some nylon and gold plating so I can run the best scam".

The cables then get shipped to the US and Monoprice sticks the cable in a clear plastic bag. Monster and the wide variety of online cable-scam retailers package the cable in the fanciest space-devil plastic possible and slap fancy made up phrases on the box. The consumer doesn't know enough about what they are buying, and so they are easily taken in.

Zedrein - If you are ever paying more than $20 for a cable of any sort, and it isn't some sort of crazy 50 ft long HDMI or something, then you are getting ripped off. Seeing a cable for more than $20, your default position should be "This is a scam", not "This is well made".
post #10 of 15 Old 09-10-2010, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blb1215 View Post

Their prices are in line with what cable "should" cost. It is not a case of them being able to sell at an 'absurdly low price", but more most others sell at a "ridiculous high price" and some at "obscene high prices" It really is not that much cost that goes in to a video cable.

Barry

Your avg Best Buy/Fry's/etc...cables & accessories are the real profit. Retailers make pennies - if any real profit at all - on big items.

post #11 of 15 Old 09-11-2010, 03:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

Just about everyone calls up the same couple of factories in China and tells them, "I want a cable of this style to sell to my customers". Some companies also add "Add some nylon and gold plating so I can run the best scam".

The cables then get shipped to the US and Monoprice sticks the cable in a clear plastic bag. Monster and the wide variety of online cable-scam retailers package the cable in the fanciest space-devil plastic possible and slap fancy made up phrases on the box. The consumer doesn't know enough about what they are buying, and so they are easily taken in.

Zedrein - If you are ever paying more than $20 for a cable of any sort, and it isn't some sort of crazy 50 ft long HDMI or something, then you are getting ripped off. Seeing a cable for more than $20, your default position should be "This is a scam", not "This is well made".

I agree with your sentiment. However I have in my own experience compared some Monster stuff I have for musical purposes and home theater, and it typically outperforms cheaper cable...but it still doesn't justify the high price point.
post #12 of 15 Old 09-11-2010, 03:17 AM

Liked: 93
Then whatever testing procedure you used for your comparison was broken. There really is no nicer way to say it.
post #13 of 15 Old 09-11-2010, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

This is true of many products produced in Asia. Not just consumer electronics.

For several years I worked for a musical instrument retailer. Virtually every guitar produced in Japan up until the late 90s was actually built by Fujigen Gakki. Most Japanese-built Fender & Ibanez guitars came from this factory. Order enough guitars & they'd slap just about whatever brand name you wanted on it. Of course these days, Japanese built instruments are often comparable in price to US built stuff, with the "cheap" stuff now produced in China, Korea...even Vietnam (a major location of production for the once "US Made"-only Peavey). And in Fender's case, a lot of products are now made in Mexico.

Same with drum hardware - save for pricey high end stuff from DW & Sonor (and even all of DW gear was not considered "high end"), most all hardware was made by the Asian manufacturer KHS, which also issued their own brand-Mapex-a number of years ago. Gibraltar, Ludwig, Tama, Pearl.....all that hardware came from the same Asian factory.

Now - not saying these companies were scamming or ripping folks off. But with most Asian-made products, there are far more brand names than there are actual factories.

post #14 of 15 Old 09-12-2010, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Zedrien,

Sorry if I came off a little boorish in my above reply. If you do want the best picture quality from an SD display that doesn't have component inputs, then S-Video is the way to go. Monoprice makes good quality products and I can't see spending more than what they charge for a Wii S-Video adapter.

As for the somewhat off-topic discussion of top quality musical instruments that all are produced in the same Chinese factory, I would counter with the example of Zildjian cymbals. Top quality cymbals made in North America. Not saying that plenty of fine quality musical instruments can't be made in China, but there are some products that haven't made the jump that far east yet.

Free over the air HDTV + Tivo HD + Netflix for Blu-ray and streaming = Bliss
post #15 of 15 Old 09-13-2010, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboG View Post

Zedrien,

Sorry if I came off a little boorish in my above reply. If you do want the best picture quality from an SD display that doesn't have component inputs, then S-Video is the way to go. Monoprice makes good quality products and I can't see spending more than what they charge for a Wii S-Video adapter.

As for the somewhat off-topic discussion of top quality musical instruments that all are produced in the same Chinese factory, I would counter with the example of Zildjian cymbals. Top quality cymbals made in North America. Not saying that plenty of fine quality musical instruments can't be made in China, but there are some products that haven't made the jump that far east yet.

Something as individualized as cymbals - yes, the "real" ones are made in US or EU factories by craftsman with years/decades of experience. The work that goes into such products is reflected in the price tags. Zildjian, Sabian, Paiste, etc do make budget/student cymbals often made of stamped out metal for cheap, though.

It tends to be more "generic" products coming from the same few Asian factories - both low & high end.

Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page