Don't want one 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 10-01-2010, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
With the price set in Japan, but still unknown here, I am curious what everyone would be willing to pay to get the upcoming 3DS.

My own thoughts - I expected the price to be $200 or less, but I'd be willing to go $250.

What about you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 10-01-2010, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtiebird View Post

I expected the price to be $200 or less, but I'd be willing to go $250.

Basically the same--thought it'd $200, but I know full well I probably would pay $250, though I wouldn't like it. I don't see being able to convince myself to pay $300, however.
post #3 of 26 Old 10-01-2010, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
$100 tops

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #4 of 26 Old 10-01-2010, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I voted for $300. You people are just being cheap and not logical. Imagine all the money and time that went into R&D for this thing. The biggest kicker being 3D without glasses.
post #5 of 26 Old 10-01-2010, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoRn View Post

I voted for $300. You people are just being cheap and not logical.

I realize this is AVS, but come on, I am cheap for not wanting to spend $300 on yet another handheld gizmo? When I already have like 60 of them? $300 is a lot of money. I don't care how much Nintendo spent to make this. Kiss my ass.
post #6 of 26 Old 10-01-2010, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

I voted for $300. You people are just being cheap and not logical. Imagine all the money and time that went into R&D for this thing. The biggest kicker being 3D without glasses.

I'd probably sit on it and break it

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #7 of 26 Old 10-02-2010, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

I want $200, and would pay $200 day one.... but I'll pay $250 if it's still that price when the games get good. 3DS would need a great launch slate to get me to buy one day one, and a STUNNING slate to ever get me at $300.

I'm like most others, I've got too many expensive hobbies to drop $300+games on another single-use item. Sorry, Nintnedo.

-vdz
post #8 of 26 Old 10-04-2010, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...d5dbbef84b0020

Hey, at least Toshiba is not making them....in comparison, Nintendo's glasses-less 3D is a freaking bargain.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #9 of 26 Old 10-05-2010, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Considering it is 25000 yen in Japan that is about $300 us dollars.So a $275-$325 price tag in the states would seem plausible for the 3DS.
post #10 of 26 Old 11-09-2010, 11:27 AM
D96

Quote:

cheap? I can get a loaded netbook for less than 300.

If the 3D isn't as crippled as the other DS's (with regard to doing other things like supporting MP3, etc). If it's on par with the PSP in ability to do the multimedia 'thing' I'd happily shell out 300, but if it's just a DSi with a 3D gimmick slapped on it..no thanks. Especially given the fact you'll see very little software support for this feature.
post #11 of 26 Old 11-09-2010, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by D96 View Post

If it's on par with the PSP in ability to do the multimedia 'thing' I'd happily shell out 300, but if it's just a DSi with a 3D gimmick slapped on it..no thanks. Especially given the fact you'll see very little software support for this feature.

Given Nintendo's history with regards to these kind of standards, it probably won't support it as well as it could. There will be support for 3D movies...we know that already. That implies video (and the 3DS sounds like it will be able to push the pixels for it, despite having a relatively low resolution.

But I fully expect it to be an incremental step-up from the DSi, feature-wise. At least in the US...Japan will probably again get lots of features we don't. Even so, I'll still pay $300 for it, if I have to. But my kids won't be getting one, just me. I suspect Ninty understands this intellectually and will try to deliver it on a lower price point $250 is likely, $269 is my guess.
post #12 of 26 Old 11-09-2010, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

cheap? I can get a loaded netbook for less than 300.

If the 3D isn't as crippled as the other DS's (with regard to doing other things like supporting MP3, etc). If it's on par with the PSP in ability to do the multimedia 'thing' I'd happily shell out 300, but if it's just a DSi with a 3D gimmick slapped on it..no thanks. Especially given the fact you'll see very little software support for this feature.

A few comments:

1. The DS isn't crippled because it can't do a bunch of media stuff. Nintendo doesn't add that stuff because they focus on releasing a game machine. It's a conscious choice.

2. It's a much more capable machine than the DS.

3. My guess is that this thing will be hugely popular and have tons of software support. What makes you think it won't? Every big developer is behind it.
post #13 of 26 Old 11-09-2010, 02:32 PM
D96

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizarDru View Post

Given Nintendo's history with regards to these kind of standards, it probably won't support it as well as it could. There will be support for 3D movies...we know that already. That implies video (and the 3DS sounds like it will be able to push the pixels for it, despite having a relatively low resolution.

But I fully expect it to be an incremental step-up from the DSi, feature-wise. At least in the US...Japan will probably again get lots of features we don't. Even so, I'll still pay $300 for it, if I have to. But my kids won't be getting one, just me. I suspect Ninty understands this intellectually and will try to deliver it on a lower price point $250 is likely, $269 is my guess.

my kids (7 and 3 years old) are too aware of these things now. No way could I get one myself and not let them have it.

Nintendo really has been dropping the ball on the hand helds. The XL was a bust. I was in the market to get my son a new DSi and pass his older DS to his sister/.

So..I go look at the XL....gee....bigger screen....same resolution....no new features....PASS. Bought a reg DSi instead. I expect more of the same with the 3d.
post #14 of 26 Old 11-09-2010, 02:36 PM
D96

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

A few comments:

1. The DS isn't crippled because it can't do a bunch of media stuff. Nintendo doesn't add that stuff because they focus on releasing a game machine. It's a conscious choice.

2. It's a much more capable machine than the DS.

3. My guess is that this thing will be hugely popular and have tons of software support. What makes you think it won't? Every big developer is behind it.

GIVE. Me. A. Break.

The Dsi as a multimedia tool is a joke...it's wireless is crippled by not supporting WEP and even if you don't use that it's a joke...slow...clumsy...

no built in memory (pathetic)

no support for good ol' mp3, so you need to rip music to other formats... (pain in the arse).

It's a gaming systemt, no more, no less, and it's worth the shade over 100 I paid..if I'm paying 300 + it better have built in memory, much better wireless, etc.

Anyway, you do what you want, I won't be jumping on this ship early, thats for sure.
post #15 of 26 Old 11-09-2010, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:

It's a gaming systemt, no more, no less

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that already the gist of the post you quoted and replied to?
post #16 of 26 Old 11-09-2010, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's a gaming systemt, no more, no less, and it's worth the shade over 100 I paid..

But that was my whole point...

3DS will be the same way.
post #17 of 26 Old 11-26-2010, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

$299 CAN, soooooo... USD is probably $299 :mad

http://nintendo3dsblog.com/gamestop-...-and-299-price

Me, I can't wait for 'Kid Incarus', and I bought a half ounce of 'Ataris Great Hit' in LA once for $9!

This list is totally legit.
post #18 of 26 Old 12-01-2010, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen View Post

This list is totally legit.

A totally legitimate GUESS, yes. Gamestop does this sort of thing all the time. That doesn't mean it's wrong, but it's not what I'd call verification...any more than when a game pops up on GameFly's pre-reserve list when it has no announced release date. You can preorder the 3DS in the US at Gamestop, too...they just don't know the price. They had to put SOMETHING in the inventory system, though, so that's probably the origin of this price (which I think is the exchange rate for the 3DS's announced price in Japan).
post #19 of 26 Old 12-03-2010, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 54
No matter what it can do, most people have a certain mindset regarding how much a given device should cost. Sony learned this the hard way when they introduced their PS3 and PSP systems at high prices. Even though they had numerous, non-gaming capabilities people just weren't willing to spend the money because they viewed them as "games machines" and felt them overpriced at their initial MSRP.

I will be the same with the 3DS. No matter what it does or how good it looks, most people simply don't want to spend over $150 (maybe $175) for a handheld gaming console and until it drops to that level it will be a niche item at best.
post #20 of 26 Old 12-03-2010, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post
No matter what it can do, most people have a certain mindset regarding how much a given device should cost. Sony learned this the hard way when they introduced their PS3 and PSP systems at high prices. Even though they had numerous, non-gaming capabilities people just weren't willing to spend the money because they viewed them as "games machines" and felt them overpriced at their initial MSRP.
The PS3 was so out of whack from expectations, there were gasps of surprise at E3 when it was announced. The PSP...didn't suffer much at all from it's MSRP. It sold strong out of the gate...it just never expanded past a core audience. Sony didn't market it widely, iirc. They tried to astro-turf a viral marketing campaign, but at launch, it was widely assumed by many that Nintendo was about to have it's lunch money taken.

The PS3 was marketed MUCH harder than the PSP, but has sold 20 million fewer units. Part of that was the uncertainty about BluRay and a larger part of that was the price.

I agree, though...the 3DS is going to have a hard climb, depending on it's price point. The DS/DSi has a HUGE installed base and the economy is NOT GREAT. Which is why I suspect they'll try and find a way to defray the cost somehow (or create a bundle in some way to make it seem like a better bargain).
post #21 of 26 Old 12-06-2010, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The PS3 was marketed MUCH harder than the PSP, but has sold 20 million fewer units. Part of that was the uncertainty about BluRay and a larger part of that was the price.

A two year head start didn't hurt matters...
post #22 of 26 Old 12-06-2010, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

A two year head start didn't hurt matters...

Two year head start? For what? The Xbox 360 dropped in November 05 (December 05 in Japan), the PS3 in November 06. The DS was released in November 2004, the PSP in March 05 (November 04 in Japan).

Sony should have, by all rights, eaten Microsoft's lunch. The one year head-start certainly wasn't the deciding factor or even a significant one. Both consoles launch with weak line-ups. Sony's was actually a bit worse for only having two true exclusives, Genji and Resistance:FOM (I don't count Ridge Racer, since both titles launched with one) to the 360's four.

Nintendo learned this lesson. That's why they launched with a Zelda game out of the gate (Sure, it was a retooled gamecube game...but it was a Wii launch title, nonetheless). And that's why the 3DS launch window is chock full of name brands: they know that's what moves units.

I mean, the 3DS is launching with these titles from Nintendo alone:

Kid Icarus
Mario Kart
Paper Mario
Starfox 64 3D
Animal Crossing
Pilotwings
nintendogs

That's a good showing. And that's not including all the other stuff, like Street Fighter 4, Metal Gear Solid, Kingdom Hearts, Dead or Alive, Resident Evil and so on. Games sell a console right out of the gate.
post #23 of 26 Old 12-06-2010, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

What are you going on about?

You stated that that the Playstation 3 was marketed much more then the Playstation Portable while selling 20 million fewer units than the Playstation Portable. Then you go on about the possible reasons for that.

All I pointed out was that the Playstation Portable first went on sale in December of 2004, while the Playstation 3 was first released in November of 2006. Don't you think that 23 month head start just might've played a significant role in why the PSP has a 20 million lead over the PS3 as 2010 comes to a close?

Not really sure what the launch of the Xbox 360, the launch of the DS, the launch of the Wii, a GameCube port, or possible 3DS launch titles have to do with my reply.
post #24 of 26 Old 12-07-2010, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

All I pointed out was that the Playstation Portable first went on sale in December of 2004, while the Playstation 3 was first released in November of 2006. Don't you think that 23 month head start just might've played a significant role in why the PSP has a 20 million lead over the PS3?

I was under the impression you were comparing why the 360?DS had a lead over the PS3/PSP. I didn't see how the PSP's sales tied in any way to the PS3s. I get what you're saying...that the PSP sold more because of being released two years earlier. And the answer is No, I don't.

The Wii was released in 2006 along with the PS3 and sold 75 million worldwide, to the PS3's 41 million. The PSP has sold 62 million to the DS's 135 million. The 360, which had a solid year lead, has only sold 44 million. Extra time certainly doesn't seem to factor into market adoption, in this case...or if it does, it's not a very significant factor.
post #25 of 26 Old 12-07-2010, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know why you thought that. You were comparing the sales of the Playstation 3 with the Playstation Portable in the section of your post I quoted (Virtually your entire post), and I never mentioned any other platform. You never even mentioned the Xbox 360 in your initial post and I sure never did.

I never saw a reason to compare the sales of the PS3 with the PSP and was puzzled why you ever did (Virtually your entire initial post did nothing but compare the sales of them), but I felt like letting you know that you missed the obvious reason why the PSP has sold a lot more. It wasn't just because of the price of the PS3 and "uncertainty" over Blu-Ray. A large part of it was the PSP has had an additional 23 months on the market. It had been selling millions of units for nearly two years before the PS3 even launched.

Once again, I merely commented on the major reason why the Playstation Portable has a 20 million lead over the Playstation 3. How you could think anything other then that is beyond me. Any reasonable person would agree that 23 additional months on the marketplace is a significant reason why millions more PSP's have been sold then Playstation 3's.

It's had 23 more months on the marketplace to sell units to people. Take away those 23 months and launch it alongside the PS3 and the sales gap between the two is going to be far less or the PS3 might've even been ahead (The likely scenario since the PS3 has been quickly catching up with the PSP over the past two years).

It's not exactly rocket science.

Quote:

Extra time certainly doesn't seem to factor into market adoption.

Time is everything when discussing market adoption for anything.
post #26 of 26 Old 12-09-2010, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
More powerful than a Nintendo Wii with a 3D glasses free display I hope its not $300 I will have to wait til its $250.
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page