Having issues calibrating brightness with Wii - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-21-2010, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Samsung LN-T3253H lcd tv and a Wii using component 480i. I am using the following picture http://www.ramelectronics.net/templa...hite-level.jpg by taking Wii online and using it for brightness calibration. Now according to that pattern. My brightness should be set to 28. That is my issue. I think that is way to low and not suppose to be like that? My Xbox 360 uses a brightness of 44 using HDMI. I used a dvd that had THX tests on it including for brightness. Why is the difference so huge? Getting back to the 360 brightness calibration using the THX pattern. It says to drop brightness down until you cannot see the THX drop shadows. Which for me locks it in at 44. Now if I put that same pattern up on the 360 that I am using to calibrate Wii with that online link I posted. The brightness is not correct and to get it right with that pattern. I need to drop it down to 38.

***EDIT***
Am I not understanding the Wii pattern I posted? The last bar should not be visible with the second bar barely being able to see it correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-22-2010, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have Zelda and just noticed it has a brightness pattern. It says that each shade should be different. The first 1 to the left should be all black. And second one should not be black but where it changes color right? I have the brightness set to 34 now using that pattern. But I have a feeling it is not right? Because certain dark areas are pitch black in the game and when I turn up the brightness. I can see the area that is blacked out.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-22-2010, 12:01 PM

Liked: 13
The pattern you linked to cannot be accurate. I have my Wii going through a DVDO Edge video processor and I check my Wii's black start-up warning screen against the pure black sidebars that the processor produces when in 3:4 mode. I tried making your pattern "correct" and it goes WAY below the black of the processor. Also, the setting of my Wii is matched pretty much exactly with the brightness setting on my other inputs.

As for the in-game patterns, they are useless for any accurate calibration. The developers only include them to make sure that your display is not so dark that you just get a black screen when you're supposed to be seeing a darkened corridor, for instance.
post #4 of 5 Old 10-22-2010, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What a bummer. So basically no way of calibrating brightness on Wii with a brightness pattern?
post #5 of 5 Old 10-31-2010, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoRn View Post

What a bummer. So basically no way of calibrating brightness on Wii with a brightness pattern?

Not in any reasonable fashion. Game designers do not adhere to standards the same way the movie industry does.

Nothing drives me crazy like a game whose interactive content is authored at a different standard than its in-game cinemas. BOOOOOOO!!

Some of these games have budgets that dwarf those of hollywood films, yet there are no standards enforced. Or adhered to. Or perhaps even known about...
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page