CRT or Plasma for playing the Wii? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-09-2010, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Let me just get this out of the Way, I'm a huge Nintendo nut. My first system was the Nes back in the 80's and I've loved and adored Nintendo's franchises ever since. And for me the Wii has been the greatest thing since the SNES, when motion controls are done right(like in Metroid Pime 3 for ex.) they're simply put amazing. Anyways, blah blah this isn't what this topic is about haha.

Anyways, I've been gaming on my Sony Wega 32" SDTV CRT for almost 6 years now. I have my Wii hooked up to it using component cables. And of course the Color is wonderful and because it's CRT i get perfect motion, and there's zero lag to worry about. Yet My CRT doesn't produce perfect blacks, while they're good they're not that good. Yet my gripes with my CRT is that I don't get progressive scan or Widescreen. I'd LOVE to have both those things, not to mention I can't stand that the fact that my TV is silver. I was thinking about getting a Samsung 42" PN42C430 720p Plasma, but at the same time I know I'll be getting more cons with the TV. The motion won't be quite as good as my CRT, there's bound to be some slight green trailing, then there's the upscaled image since it will be 480p upscaled to the Plasma's fixed 720p resolution, and worst of all there will be minor lag...

Minor lag alone would break the experience for me....So I'm just totaly confused at this point as to what to do. Do I keep my CRT until Nintendo unleashes it's next system which will most likely be at the end of 2012, or do I should I get the plasma for Progressive scan and Widescreen and put up with the other crap. What do you guys think? I'd with out a doubt nab myself a 50' 1080p Plasmas for movies, but for the Wii...It's definitly alot trickier. And by now, at least it's great to say that the better plasma's out there offer CRT-like Color and black levels. Motion hasn't quite hit the spot yet though...
And no thanks to LCD, it's out of the question based on my many experiences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-16-2010, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Personally, if you've already got a CRT, I wouldn't buy a plasma just for the Wii. I say keep it until it burns out.

Besides, if you ever want to play on any legacy systems that output 480i, or play any Wii or Gamecube games that don't have progressive scan... your TV will have to deinterlace them. And deinterlacing introduces a LOT of lag.

HDTVs are suboptimal if you're stuck with non-HD sources. They stopped making SDTVs WAY too quickly. Cable wasn't ready (most channels are still in 480i), DVD players weren't ready, some gaming consoles weren't ready, etc.

A plasma is not a bad idea. The Wii can be made to work well enough on it, though games with timing-sensitive controls may or may not suffer. But make sure you have something to do with your plasma other than play the Wii, in case you're disappointed with the performance and want to put your Wii back on your CRT.

I think Plasma performance is probably good enough that if your CRT goes out, you should probably get one.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-16-2010, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
CRT for sure, because the CRT can handle the Wii's native resolution, and there is no lag whatsoever.
post #4 of 10 Old 11-30-2011, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Not to mention the Wii's Widesreen is completely bogus. As it's anamorphic and stretched. It makes the graphics look sofer and jageddy.
Wii games are 640x480 which is a native full screen image. So that Widescreen benifit has been tossed out the window.
Plus the wii's widescreen also makes wii titles take a hit in the motion department, it just looks off...

Anyways! I miss my CRT for Wii gaming that's for sure. ZERO LAG, Perfect amazing motion...These 2 things are a 'must' for wii pointer/motion controlled type games
like Metroid Prime 3 for example. On my LCD it looks awful because of the blurry motion handeling....There's so much detail loss because of it when the camera is zipping around,
and while my Set is great in the input lag department, it still doesn't match my CRT.

If anything i absolutely love my LCD's brightness and super bright whites. It makes the games look absolutely gorgeous and surreal, like Super Mario Galaxy
for example or New Super Mario Bros Wii ect ect. Plus the progressive scan is great as well. Wii games look pretty damn clear and sharp when set to 4:3 via component cables on my 1080p LCD....
BUt still, i can't get over that bloody motion handeling and blur.

At this point I dont know what to do. Get a second hand 32" flatScreen CRT, go for a Plasma or just put up with what i got....Then again i can't put up wiht this LCD for movies especially....weak black levels and 60hz motion doesn't cut it!

Plasma would be MUCH better regarding black levels, blur and richer colors....but i'd still have to deal with a bit of lag, motion that's still inferior to CRT and brightness that just doesn't match up to an LCD. damn these trade offs! lol
post #5 of 10 Old 12-20-2011, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

At this point, I'm either sticking with my Sony Wega 32" SDTV CRT using component cables(which actually works perfectly now,
before it was suffering from some random green hazing problem) or move up to a 42" Panasonic 720p X3 plasma....Which would of course
introduce some minor lag, and slightly inferior motion + that dithering effect. eek!

The pro's would be Progressive scan of course, and that's really it....But eh, zero Lag and superior motion is more important to me to be honest.
I'd also be using it for Bluray/DVD's so the 720p, larger scree, Widescreen and HDMI connection would obviously be fantastic.

Still torn on this point, i guess I'll use my Wega for now and take home the X3when i get the cash and test it out.
When playing the Wii on an HDTV, the disadvantages easily out number the advantages. I don't consider having wide screen an advantage for the Wii considering
wii games look 'worse' in wide screen....Giving off a softer less appealing look. That's anomprhic StretchOvision for ya! Set the Wii in 4:3
and every thing looks crisper, sharper and clearer the way it was intended to look at 640x480.

Once the Wii U hits, I'll have EVERY reason to upgrade to an 1080p HDTV. but for now, with the wii it's just not worth it....
But in my case it's for the Wii and movies so that's a different story hehe.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-22-2011, 08:37 AM

It's looking better at 4:3 and 480i because that's the native resolution of your TV. Since video games are naturally progressive, you're actually still not getting the best video you can from your Wii.

Your 640x480 reasoning is bogus too. Doesn't matter because the Wii will output 720x480i or 720x480p, that's what 480 is.

I've got a 1080p 60" Sharp (LC-60E88UN) that I use for playing my Wii. Setup properly you should be seeing a dramatic difference in picture with no 'strechovision'. If you've got streching on a wide screen TV then you missed something.

Wii: 480p (EDTV) Widescreen, Component cable

TV: 1080p, dot to dot mode (some TVs it's named pixel mode or something similar.) Make sure you don't zoom, 120hz or any other 'video enhancment' turned on. These are the types of things that introduce lag. Look for a 'game' setting on the TV. Sharp is know for it's lack of lag. There is a thread specifically for tv lag and who's got what. ANYTHING under 30ms is what you're looking for. Since that's less then the frame rate anyway, it would be impossible for you to know the difference.

Widescreen games like MP, MK and Zelda look 100% real and crisp, no 'stretching/zooming' if done correctly. I'll see if I can post pictures tonight.

(If you go through an AVR, like I do, make sure it's set to passthrough and not doing any upscaling. I went through a couple before I found an Onkyo - TX-NR708 -that did it correctly on component.)

Have a good one,

neomaine
post #7 of 10 Old 01-06-2012, 10:47 AM

Liked: 19
Don't worry about motion blur it doesn't occur with plasmas, that is only a problem with LCDs.

I have a Panny P42GT25 and I love playing the Wii on it. I have not experienced any lag either, that I noticed.

As far as brightness goes, increase it through video controls. Most TVs now have "game" modes anyway.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-18-2012, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidoroboo View Post

Don't worry about motion blur it doesn't occur with plasmas, that is only a problem with LCDs.

I have a Panny P42GT25 and I love playing the Wii on it. I have not experienced any lag either, that I noticed.

As far as brightness goes, increase it through video controls. Most TVs now have "game" modes anyway.

Based on my Plasma & LCD experiences, Plasma 'definitly' has the edge in the motion department(which is a MUST for movies), but there's still blur for example when quickly zipping an in-game camera around for something like Metroid Prime 3 on the Wii, where as a CRT would retain 'every' single detail perfectly without any blur whatsoever. Plus Plasma's include that crappy dithering effect which is more noticable in whites, like zipping the camera around a cloudy background introduces nasty artifacts.

As for brightness, plasma can't match an LCD, thats a no brainer too.

Also you may not have experienced any lag, but there is. No HDTV is perfect, the lower amount of lag you'll most likely ever encounter in this day and age is 16ms. If you had a wii hooked up to a CRT side by side you would beable to tell the difference, especially for motion controlled games.

I have one of the best LCD's on the market for gaming(16ms) and my CRT beats the crap out of it for motion based titles. for everything else that's traditional controls it's fantastic, still not perfect but pretty close and definitly good enough for me. But the pointer controls, tilting and the like with the wii remote are much better on my crt to the point where the experience is almost kind of broken on the LCD. you need every single MS for motion controls dude. :P At least i do! haha
post #9 of 10 Old 02-19-2012, 06:32 PM

There is one critical issue with the Wii on a 4:3 screen. Many newer games are designed for 16:9 and play in letterbox on a 4:3 TV. New Super Mario Bros Wii is an example. Skyward Sword is another. Games like this are native anamorphic and lose resolution when played on a 4:3 TV. It is especially frustrating on Skyward Sword, since it makes some text difficult to read. Xenoblade has it even worse. I haven't played the game, but I have read several reports that the game is virtually unplayable on a 4:3 TV, since the text is so small that it becomes unreadable due to the lost lines of resolution.

The only way around this is to use the 16:9 squeeze feature on some of the newer CRTs. However, this requires you to set the Wii to 16:9 mode, which means you need to have the squeeze feature on all the time. This is also frustrating since the Wii doesn't send the proper anamorphic flag to allow the TV to automatically switch to 16:9 mode. Virtual Console and GameCube games, along with some Wii games are programmed for 4:3 only and will require you to manually switch the 16:9 squeeze off.

It's just so frustrating. I suffered through this for my first week of Skyward Sword and gave up. I now have the Wii connected to an HDTV. The anamorphic 16:9 still doesn't look that great, but the 16:9 "hard coded" games can finally use the full screen area and have their full resolution.

I have hopes that the Wii U will automatically detect 16:9 Wii games and upscale appropriately, adding pillarboxes to 4:3 games, but I suspect Nintendo will just output the original raw Wii video and nothing will change.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-19-2012, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorban View Post

There is one critical issue with the Wii on a 4:3 screen. Many newer games are designed for 16:9 and play in letterbox on a 4:3 TV. New Super Mario Bros Wii is an example. Skyward Sword is another. Games like this are native anamorphic and lose resolution when played on a 4:3 TV. It is especially frustrating on Skyward Sword, since it makes some text difficult to read. Xenoblade has it even worse. I haven't played the game, but I have read several reports that the game is virtually unplayable on a 4:3 TV, since the text is so small that it becomes unreadable due to the lost lines of resolution.

The only way around this is to use the 16:9 squeeze feature on some of the newer CRTs. However, this requires you to set the Wii to 16:9 mode, which means you need to have the squeeze feature on all the time. This is also frustrating since the Wii doesn't send the proper anamorphic flag to allow the TV to automatically switch to 16:9 mode. Virtual Console and GameCube games, along with some Wii games are programmed for 4:3 only and will require you to manually switch the 16:9 squeeze off.

It's just so frustrating. I suffered through this for my first week of Skyward Sword and gave up. I now have the Wii connected to an HDTV. The anamorphic 16:9 still doesn't look that great, but the 16:9 "hard coded" games can finally use the full screen area and have their full resolution.

I have hopes that the Wii U will automatically detect 16:9 Wii games and upscale appropriately, adding pillarboxes to 4:3 games, but I suspect Nintendo will just output the original raw Wii video and nothing will change.

Kirby's epic Yarn, NSMBWii and Return to Dreamland use the letterbox format on 4:3 sets as well. But like you said, You can set the Wii to Widescreen on your Full screen CRT and the top and bottom bars are gone. And when doing so, the picture on my HDTV and CRT doesn't looked squeezed at all...It looks perfectly fine, or almost at least.

Also, these games may have been 'designed' to be played in widescreen, but the truth is you're not getting any extra resolution. The native res for these wii titles are still 640x480 so you're still stretching, enlarging the res so you can feel up the entire widescreen imag resulting in a fuzzier softer unappealing picture when setting it to widescreen on an HDTV....SKyward sword looks miles better in it's 4:3 ratio, IF your HDTV doesn't make it look squeezed(even then it'ss till going to look crisper and clearer) that is. I know mine doesn't. :P

I do the same thing for Kirby's Epic yarn, Return to dreamland and NSMBWii and it does wonders for the quality. Playing wii games in Widescreen looks awful imo, especially on an LCD....Plasma's fair better, but LCD offer a crisper/cleaner image in '4:3' I dont know how anyone can play Wii games in crummy anamorphic stretchOvision Widescreen mode.
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page