Wii Games like Mario Kart? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-16-2010, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Are there any Wii games like Mario Kart that you can actually play against friends online AND family friendly?

=====================================
My HT Thread index on 1st post
Samsung AllShare and Internet@TV Discussion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-16-2010, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Swap out Mario & Co w/ Sonic the Hedgehog & the SEGA roster - and you have Sonic & SEGA All Stars Racing.

http://www.amazon.com/Sonic-All-Star.../dp/B002BH3N2W

This is realy just MK Wii with a SEGA paintjob.

Or another Kart-like game that meets your multiplayer desires - and gets a tad "weird" (in a good way): Excitebots: Trick Racing

http://www.amazon.com/ExciteBots-Tri...9929949&sr=1-1

I personally enjoyed this one - esp the fact that unlike MK Wii, which for me is vastly more enjoyable & accurate using the Wiimote/nunchuk scheme VS the Wheel, Excitebots only supports the Wii Wheel or Wiimote alone. Far more responsive motion based turning with this than in MK Wii, IMO.

Outside of racing games, most EA Sports Wii titles have good online implementation (mainly due to using EA servers as opposed to Nintendo's) & in the case of Wii, tend to have more casual-friendly options. The most popular on Wii would be the Tiger Woods games, although to get the most frm the TW PGA games, you want to make sure you also have Motion Plus capabilities.

And both major music game franchises - Rock Band & Guitar Hero - also allow online play in addition to local group fun. The recent Rock Band 3 is easily the best music game to date (particularly among Wii choices), and even allows users to filter/sort songs based on several criteria, incl "family friendly" tracks.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #3 of 9 Old 11-17-2010, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for info

So the Sonic games are very similar to MK with primarily different characters, karts and tracks? Can you play friends or just random folks?

Excitebots looks interesting but does not look like will work with UK.

I have teenage girls and they have not been over interested in RB & GH due the the music content - you would think they would have a girl band edition

post #4 of 9 Old 11-17-2010, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritInVA View Post

Thanks for info

So the Sonic games are very similar to MK with primarily different characters, karts and tracks? Can you play friends or just random folks?

Excitebots looks interesting but does not look like will work with UK.

I have teenage girls and they have not been over interested in RB & GH due the the music content - you would think they would have a girl band edition

AFAIK, Sonic karting has the same online features as MK Wii - friends or randoms can be played against.

Activision issued the music title Band Hero last year. A more "pop" version of Guitar Hero 5 with a likely more teen-girl frendly setlist - plus it shares a music store w/ the main GH franchise.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #5 of 9 Old 11-17-2010, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

Activision issued the music title Band Hero last year. A more "pop" version of Guitar Hero 5 with a likely more teen-girl frendly setlist - plus it shares a music store w/ the main GH franchise.

This actually looks like may suit them couple of questions

1) You say "plus it shares a music store w/ the main GH franchise" does this mean they can buy additional specific tracks? If yes how much do they typically cost?

2) In addition to the Wii they have the XBox 360....... what is the beter system to use. I would think Xbox will have better graphics.

Thanks

post #6 of 9 Old 11-17-2010, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This actually looks like may suit them couple of questions

1) You say "plus it shares a music store w/ the main GH franchise" does this mean they can buy additional specific tracks? If yes how much do they typically cost?

2) In addition to the Wii they have the XBox 360....... what is the beter system to use. I would think Xbox will have better graphics.

Thanks

For multiplatform games, go w/ the 360. Graphically, it will be nicer.

Yes - you can download new tracks that you purchase w/ Wii/XBL Points. While w/ the Rock Band franchise, the Wii is limited in terms of how much content is available (though far less so w/ RB3 than it's predecessors), the Guitar Hero games have been on par feature-wise on all systems since last years' GH5 & Band Hero releases.

Single tracks are generally $2/each, occasional freebies or $1 tracks pop up. As well, tracks are often sold in "packs" - allowing you to make a multi-song purchase for a slight discount. Band Hero shares the Guitar Hero music store servers, so any GH tracks can be purchased & played in Band Hero.

On 360, tracks obviously are stored on the console's hard drive. For Wii, you need to use an SD card - cards up to 32GB are supported.

As a player who still digs on the genre, I gotta say from a gameplay & content standpoint, the RB franchise is vastly superior to GH in pretty much every way. And Harmonix did a great job on RB3 Wii - pretty much every lacking feature from the previous 2 games is now in the current Wii version. Hands down the Wii's best music title.

If your daughters are more interested in just singing, there are sseveral music games of that sort out there. If they are GLEE fans, there is a GLEE Sing It (uses USB microphones) that is currently a Wii exclusive.

post #7 of 9 Old 11-17-2010, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks - just picked up the Xbox Band Hero Super Bundle for $64 - was $149 on Wii so no brainer but your response tipped it.

Think I'll get the Sonic thou on Wii too

Thanks for you advice!!!!

Really appreciated.

post #8 of 9 Old 11-18-2010, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks - just picked up the Xbox Band Hero Super Bundle for $64 - was $149 on Wii so no brainer but your response tipped it.

Think I'll get the Sonic thou on Wii too

Thanks for you advice!!!!

Really appreciated.

No problem.

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall Band Hero selling better on Wii overall - not by too much - so that could explain the Wii edition being pricier (more likely to sell @ this point). But what you paid for a game & a mostly "full" band set up....cannot beat that!

And should you or the kids decide to check out the RB games (RB3 is still, IMO, the best of the bunch - and The Beatles RB is one of the nicest looking games of it's kind), your Band Hero gear will be compatible.

Saw a video of Sonic Colors co-op play on Wii earlier today - looks pretty sweet.

post #9 of 9 Old 11-18-2010, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 197
NASCAR Kart Racers is a solid karting game that was basically Mario Kart with a NASCAR theme loosely applied to the game to justify the name on the cover and draw in NASCAR fans.

The only problem is it lacked online play. So if you were spoiled by Mario Kart Wii's excellent online multiplayer, this game is going to seem somewhat bland and short lived.
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page