New Red Wii 25th Anniversary 480p convert to 1080p Asking for community wide HELP!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-16-2010, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ok So I got a brand new Red Wii for $28 bucks Yes its true. Brag. Short story Best Buy sold it to be for $149.99 - $135 in gift cards I had. Oh and bye the way all the gift cards were given to me by Best Buy corporate.

Anyways I am connecting my Wii via cheap universal 480p Component cables from Gamestop. To a 32" Panasonic TC-L32S1. Which is 1080p

480p is a giant leap over 480i I tried it.

My question is. ? Would it be better to hook it up to a different HDTV preferably 720p native so theres less converting to do?

I had the fortune/misfortune of playing my buddies Wii on his 34" Sony WEGA which does 480p component and 1080i one of those old Tube HDTV's and Wii looks HD quality much better than on my HDTV?

Is it just a bad quality Scaling in my HDTV by Panasonic?

Please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2010, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You did well choosing a small screen for the TV.

I'm afraid it's true that the Wii looks suboptimal on fixed-pixel displays, which all of them are these days.

All you can really do is look for a television with a quality scaler, or get an external scaler like the DVDO Edge. I've heard Samsung plasmas have a good scaler for dealing with 480p and 480i content, but I'm not certain because I've never had one.

I don't think it matters what resolution the output has to be scaled up to, but you should be safe choosing a lower resolution TV, because the 1080 definitely doesn't help in displaying 480p content at all.

If you're dissatisfied with the display even with a quality scaler, you have little choice but to hunt down a used CRT, or not play the Wii at all. TV manufacturers just don't care about Wii owners, unfortunately.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post

You did well choosing a small screen for the TV.

I'm afraid it's true that the Wii looks suboptimal on fixed-pixel displays, which all of them are these days.

All you can really do is look for a television with a quality scaler, or get an external scaler like the DVDO Edge. I've heard Samsung plasmas have a good scaler for dealing with 480p and 480i content, but I'm not certain because I've never had one.

I don't think it matters what resolution the output has to be scaled up to, but you should be safe choosing a lower resolution TV, because the 1080 definitely doesn't help in displaying 480p content at all.

If you're dissatisfied with the display even with a quality scaler, you have little choice but to hunt down a used CRT, or not play the Wii at all. TV manufacturers just don't care about Wii owners, unfortunately.

Yeah fixed pixel displays LCD seem like a step backwards don't get me started about the HDTV LCD scam its all about weight and shipping more profits.

Anyways, May look and try out a 720p 24" or 26" VIZIO smaller screen better.

Or hunt for a 480p CRT on Craigslist seen really good SONY WEGA's for $100 bucks.

Or Will try a Plasma or SONY 32" LCD with Bravia Engine 3 which is a high quality image processing chip.

Question? Could it be poor quality cables??

The ones I am using are Gamestop Madcatz Universals which can be used by the PS3 and 360 also to do 720p 1080p via Component.

Would dedicated Wii cables be better?
Old 11-16-2010, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Maybe, but probably not.

I have my Wii hooked up to the same TV as my PS3 and 360, and I dunno, I think it looks good. Smash Bros, Metroid Prime, Super Mario Galaxy, I am pleased with it. But I've never seen the platform run on a high quality CRT so maybe it's just ignorance.