N64 Cable question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-25-2010, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a universal S video cable that has the analog ports for the xbox ,ps2, Nintendo consoles before the wii, and Dreamcast

But i noticed on the Nintendo connector it only has 3 yellow gold pins inside. If you look at the analog connection on the N64 console it has 6 gold pins.

am i using a cheap cable ? Should i google for like a monster gamecube Svideo cable or an official Nintendo one that has more pins on the port to match the console so maybe it will look better ?

cause the consoles port has the 6 gold pins for a reason or what ever they are called

I hooked it up to my tv and i know its not supposed to be HD or anything but the video seems kinda laggy in a way.
but my dreamcast looks ok

Yeah i know i dont have anything else to do with my life except hook up my N64 to my HD TV on thanksgiving. lol

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-25-2010, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by champer View Post

I have a universal S video cable that has the analog ports for the xbox ,ps2, Nintendo consoles before the wii, and Dreamcast

But i noticed on the Nintendo connector it only has 3 yellow gold pins inside. If you look at the analog connection on the N64 console it has 6 gold pins.

am i using a cheap cable ? Should i google for like a monster gamecube Svideo cable or an official Nintendo one that has more pins on the port to match the console so maybe it will look better ?

cause the consoles port has the 6 gold pins for a reason or what ever they are called

I hooked it up to my tv and i know its not supposed to be HD or anything but the video seems kinda laggy in a way.
but my dreamcast looks ok

Yeah i know i dont have anything else to do with my life except hook up my N64 to my HD TV on thanksgiving. lol

http://pinouts.ru/Game/n64video_pinout.shtml

Is it an s-video only cable? They may have omitted the composite out.
Maybe omitted mono audio as well... and ground?
post #3 of 8 Old 11-25-2010, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It has S video and composite. whats the ground connectors for ?

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #4 of 8 Old 11-25-2010, 06:22 PM

Liked: 93
At minimum a N64 S-video connection requires 5 pins. Video Y, Video C, Audio Left, Audio Right, common ground. A 6th pin would be required for the addition of composite. Either you aren't counting all the pins because they are hidden from view, or your cable is a piece of crap.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-25-2010, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

At minimum a N64 S-video connection requires 5 pins. Video Y, Video C, Audio Left, Audio Right, common ground. A 6th pin would be required for the addition of composite. Either you aren't counting all the pins because they are hidden from view, or your cable is a piece of crap.

only 3 in there as you can see so no i didnt miss count unless the other pins are invisible. now i do get a picture with color and i do get audio but everything on the edges seems laggy.

and whats the commong ground pin for ?

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #6 of 8 Old 01-27-2011, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I just bought an S video cable for the gamecube off of ebay and it only has 3 gold pins as well. where can I get a decent S video cable to use on my N64. the 1st cable i listed is a universal one with 3 pins as well. this new cable is just for the Nintendo consoles.

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #7 of 8 Old 04-08-2011, 06:23 PM

i know this is a bit old, but i have some info.

i have a generic adapter that's ps2/xbox/nintendo (8-bit -> n64) ...and it has 6 pins inside the adapter. I got it at my local gamestop for $10 or $15 I think. It's quite an improvement using S-Video instead of the RCA (especially on the super nintendo). The original nintendo, super, & n64 all look better with this cable.

i have a component cable on my gamecube and wii, which both look better than the original cables.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-13-2011, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by voidhawk View Post
It's quite an improvement using S-Video instead of the RCA. The original nintendo, super, & n64 all look better with this cable. .
You couldn't of used a s-video cable (Or even the same composite cable as used on later Nintendo consoles until the Wii) on a original Nintendo.

Neither revision of the console, as built, had s-video support or even the standard multi-out video port used on the SuperNes/N64/GCN.
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page