Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/3..._At_Retail.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamasutra View Post

Nintendo appears to be phasing out its Wii Speak peripheral. The hardware, designed to be used for voice chat on the console, will now be available only at "limited retail locations," with further shipments made only "if consumer demand increases."

The company hasn't specified what, if any, impact the apparent discontinuance of the Wii Speak microphone will have on the designated Wii Speak channel for which it's designed. Unlike standard online in-game chat, Wii Speak lets users correspond inside a designated chat room using their Mii avatars.

"We have nothing to announce regarding the future of this channel, and it currently is being enjoyed by many gamers," a spokesperson told consumer site GameSpot.

No surprise. It wasn't well supported (by Ninty or 3rd parties), only worked marginally well... and to be honest, is far bulkier than any useful peripheral should be.

Makes you wonder what's next... There's, what, 20 games that support the Balance Board?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-02-2010, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen View Post

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/3..._At_Retail.php

No surprise. It wasn't well supported (by Ninty or 3rd parties), only worked marginally well... and to be honest, is far bulkier than any useful peripheral should be.

Makes you wonder what's next... There's, what, 20 games that support the Balance Board?

Being that the main support for the Board happens to be one of Wii's (and gaming in general's) biggest long-term sellers (Wii Fit)....probably not. But it seems the Classic Controller & lowly old Wii Zapper are getting more love these days. And there looks to already be almost as many games supporting the PDP headset in a short span of time than utilized WiiSpeak since it's inception.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #3 of 5 Old 12-02-2010, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
figures ...just got this from amazon yesterday
post #4 of 5 Old 12-02-2010, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Wii Speak is a dorky, clunky piece of kit. Having written that, I use it regularly to play Animal Crossing with my grandson in Chicago, and he thinks it's pretty cool. As long as it keeps working until he grows out of it, I'll be satisfied with the expenditure.

After that, meh.

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
post #5 of 5 Old 12-02-2010, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I find it odd, considering the new Jeopardy & Wheel of Fortune games made use of it, albeit poorly. It also seems fairly useless for anything other than local multiplayer - headsets seem to be the peripheral of choice for every other console.

PS not like it was readily available to begin with

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page