Wii with Projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-06-2010, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wish to use my Wii with my projector / screen. The screen is 105" diagnal cinescope. I'm not 100% sure what the diagnal will be when I project 16x9 images, but Im' guessing around the 90" mark.

I wish to place the wii in an opposite corner of the room then the screen.

So, what do I all need to get for this setup? I'm guessing some sort of after market sensor bar that accounts for a bigger screen and has a longer cable run (or even wireless).

I will be standing roughly 8' back when playing.

And, with my Denon 4311ci display the wii using my hdmi out? I will just check it when at home, but was wondering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-06-2010, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
It's actually a myth that you need a wider sensor bar for a bigger screen... the stock size will work. You can go wireless, or get one (or make one) that plugs into a nearby outlet, as it doesn't even need to be attached to the wii. Or you can get some of the low-profile "Sensor dots" that are available and mount them above or below the screen.

Your Denon has analog to hdmi conversion, so the wii should display ok.

One thing you'll want to consider is, if you have a tv and the projector in the same room, making sure the two sensor bars don't interfere with each other. Mounting them on different walls, situating them so that you can share one bar, or implementing a switch or controlled outlet are all ways to make it work.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-06-2010, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response!

So, I could get something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/foot-Sensor-Ex...1664983&sr=1-6

and be just fine?

What are these sensor dots? They sound interesting, less cable to run is always a good thing
post #4 of 8 Old 12-06-2010, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzirkelb View Post

Thanks for the response!

So, I could get something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/foot-Sensor-Ex...1664983&sr=1-6

and be just fine?

That's one way to go. But remember, the sensor bar doesn't actually send or receive any data; it's just a couple light sources the remote uses for tracking. So you could go wireless:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Quote:

What are these sensor dots? They sound interesting, less cable to run is always a good thing

Here's the link:

http://www.videogamebundle.com/sensoreyes.html

(credit to this post: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1274149)

If you use two ac-powered bars in close proximity, look at getting a couple of these controlled power strips to automatically turn them on/off:

http://www.smarthomeusa.com/ShopByMa...td./Item/SCG4/

Good luck!
post #5 of 8 Old 12-29-2010, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post

It's actually a myth that you need a wider sensor bar for a bigger screen... the stock size will work. You can go wireless, or get one (or make one) that plugs into a nearby outlet, as it doesn't even need to be attached to the wii. Or you can get some of the low-profile "Sensor dots" that are available and mount them above or below the screen.

It will "work", but the accuracy is horrendous. I have a couple of shooter games that are simply unplayable as-is on my 120" screen. I figure there HAS to be a way to adjust for that, though.

Here's where my head is at on the matter:
- There is a screen size where the Wii aims perfectly. It was the screen size that they had in mind when they designed it. The Wiimote uses the sensor bar lights to determine it where it is pointing.
- The lights are approximately 8" apart on a standard bar, which is perfect for that designed-for tv with (for example) a 30" screen. For a screen that is larger, the standard 8" bar is telling the Wii that it's still a 30" screen, so when your wiimote is pointed at the edge of that imaginary 30" screen, the Wii is placing the cursor way ot at the edge of my actual 120" screen. Similar skewing with up and down. The point of aim/point of cursor gets farther and farther off as you aim away from the what the Wii believes is the center.

I haven't been following or dealing with this issue until now, so I'm not sure if this issue has been officially solved or not. I don't want to spend a bunch of time and money trying to reinvent the wheel if it's already been figured out. I'm not finding much on normal Google searches, so I've come back to AVS. This is the most current discussion I've found so far, so I replied.

So, please be kind if this is regularly beat to death. I'm still looking and learning.

ETA: Disregard the above. More reading, and found additional info here in this forum from earlier in the year. It looks like it's been tried with unsat results. Looks like there's no fix for this.

And then...
post #6 of 8 Old 12-29-2010, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

I purhcased those eyes to put on the wall for my screen; however, my receiver took a crap on me, so I cant' do any testing until my new one comes in. I received the new Bond game for the Wii (not really new), so I'll do testing witht that.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-30-2010, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I purhcased those eyes to put on the wall for my screen; however, my receiver took a crap on me, so I cant' do any testing until my new one comes in. I received the new Bond game for the Wii (not really new), so I'll do testing witht that.

Let me know how they work for you. I found the range to be excellent; the only "con" is that they are VERY directional. Good for gaming, when you're standing centered, but you lose tracking as you move to the side. They build them with the leds recessed, alomost like a little spotlight.

Sorry about your receiver...
post #8 of 8 Old 01-01-2011, 04:40 PM

I have a 108" screen that I play the new GoldenEye on. I sit 9' from the screen and at that distance I have sensors for the sensor bar 35" apart. If I place them any further apart, the Wiimote won't be able to see both sensors when you aim to sides of the screen. The aiming isn't perfect but it makes it easier for FPS.
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page