Neglected Wii, what to play - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 12-08-2010, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We purchased a Wii when they first came out, mainly for our kids. We all had fun with the bowling and boxing games, bought some mario games and six months into ownership, it was seldom used. We haven't used it for at least the last two years. So now that the Family/HT Room is 95% complete, the Wii is going back in service.

Donkey Kong has caught our interest and I'm wondering what other Wii exclusive games are worthwhile? We currently use the 360 for FPS, Racing and Adventure games.

Thanks for any suggestions.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Basement HT/Family Room | Status: 11.24.2010: 95% Complete, Working on trim and details
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-08-2010, 05:58 AM

Goldeneye
Metroid Prime 3
Metroid: Other M
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Star Wars: Force Unleashed
De Blob
Epic Mickey
Conduit
Red Steel 2
Punch Out !
post #3 of 13 Old 12-08-2010, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Not sure about the age of your kids, I have a 4 year old so my suggestions will range from the super young to the can't play until the kids are alseep.

Family Friendly:
Kirby
Donkey Kong Country
Boom Blox (either)
Super Mario Brothers Wii
Mario Cart
Any of the Dora/Diego Games (under 5 only)
Any of the Lego games of interest
World Of Goo

Teen+ Only:
Resident Evil 4
Black Ops
Golden Eye
Mad World
post #4 of 13 Old 12-08-2010, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I would add Excitebots to that list--little weird on the surface, but it's a very unique, high-quality racing game with rock-solid motion controls for steering. (Mario Kart Wii is good too, though I prefer Excitebots.) If you've got any interest in fighters, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom is an excellent one, or there's Smash Bros Brawl for a more party-type fighter. Animal Crossing would be good for a family as well.

And don't forget the Virtual Console/WiiWare downloadable games service, either. There's a lot of great, cheap, simple games on there. At this point nearly my entire family has logged so many hours into Dr. Mario that the $10 I spent on it is approaching nearly infinite value.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-08-2010, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Concur w/ Mongo's review of Excitebots. Great alternative to MK Wii. And IMO has far better motion control than MK.

With MK Wii, it's all about the Wiimote/'chuk controls - to me the analog stick (which is what I was accustomed to using playing MK 64 for years) just works far better. While Excitebots has no support for anything other than Wiimote (with or without the Wheel), but implements the comtrol scheme much better. Surprisingly, I came across some online players recently - looks like folks are still logging on to play this.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #6 of 13 Old 12-08-2010, 07:22 PM

Family-friendly:
Either Boom Blox game
Raving Rabbids series
Wario Ware
Mercury Meltdown Revolution
Zack & Wiki

Both Raving Rabbids (I've only played the first one) and Wario Ware have almost caused me to cough up my own lungs from laughing while playing with friends; they're really multi-player experiences, not solo games. Mercury Meltdown and Zack & Wiki are puzzle games - Z&W's an adventure puzzler, and MM's a physics puzzler.

Not so family-friendly:
Dead Space: Extraction
Resident Evil 4
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands

Resident Evil's a port, but they managed to use the Wii controls in a way that improves the gameplay over the original. Dead Space & Prince of Persia are built from the ground up for the Wii, and are really great games.
post #7 of 13 Old 12-09-2010, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan E View Post

Not so family-friendly:
Dead Space: Extraction
Resident Evil 4
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands

Resident Evil's a port, but they managed to use the Wii controls in a way that improves the gameplay over the original. Dead Space & Prince of Persia are built from the ground up for the Wii, and are really great games.

Not only does the Wii ediition of RE IV improve upon things with well implemented Wii controls, it also is a combo of sorts of both Gamecube & PS2 editions (the "bonus" story/mission found on the PS2 version was added to the Wii port).

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #8 of 13 Old 12-10-2010, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses with details. Looks like I can grab at least 4 or 5 of these at decent prices to give a try. There are a few others mentioned that I will check out while hitting one of the local Gamestops.

Thanks

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Basement HT/Family Room | Status: 11.24.2010: 95% Complete, Working on trim and details
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°...
post #9 of 13 Old 12-10-2010, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Golden eye is an excellent game as is dead space extraction. Soooo much fun with those two titles.

post #10 of 13 Old 12-14-2010, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Zack & Wiki -fun point & click puzzle/adventure game; kid-friendly in presentation though it gets challenging in later levels. Also, decent-to-good motion controls.

ExciteBots - pure fun and ridiculous racing. Only 2-player split-screen though. Mario Kart Wii supports up to 4.
post #11 of 13 Old 12-15-2010, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundull View Post

Zack & Wiki -fun point & click puzzle/adventure game; kid-friendly in presentation though it gets challenging in later levels. Also, decent-to-good motion controls.

ExciteBots - pure fun and ridiculous racing. Only 2-player split-screen though. Mario Kart Wii supports up to 4.

I have excitebots and excitetruck. Personally I like trucks better, but my 4 year old loves both. Also MonsterJam for him, but I think its crap.

Strength, Determination, Merciless, Forever
post #12 of 13 Old 12-15-2010, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The U Draw Game tablet with Pictionary works great and is a lot of fun when you have a group of people. The downside is that the Game tablet costs $70 and Pictionary is another $30. Still, the Game Tablet works great and is reasonably priced for what you get which is the tablet and a software program.

(I was able to cut those prices in half by buying some other games and accessories at the recent Toys R Us "Buy one, Get 50% off sale.")
post #13 of 13 Old 12-22-2010, 04:19 PM

Sonic colors is a fun game to play on the wii. I personally think that this is the first 3D sonic game that I really had fun playing.
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page