So I finished Prime 2... and I liked it? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-07-2011, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I did it. Took 30 hours (and 6 years) but I did it.

As previously noted, I felt like bashing my controller into the floor probably 1,000 times... but now that I'm finished, I'm back to my original conclusion: Prime 2 is a better looking game than 1, has some crazy awesome boss fights and is just an overall darn good game. Prime 1 is still better as a whole, but beating this and struggling through all of the tough bits gave me a better appreciation for the game and the series. I also think if I had played this from the Trilogy disc rather than GCN I'd have been a little more impressed and a lot less frustrated. It's my new goal to find a Trilogy copy before they hit $200 on eBay...

What I will probably always despise is
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
the s#!tty controls while in the spider ball. I seriously considered quitting every time I had to make a boost ball jump... It made getting around the Sanctuary Fortress infuriating, hitting the last form of Quadraxis was nearly impossible (especially because I had almost no health left), trying to bomb the inglets while spider balling my way around the second form of the Emperor Ing, trying not to get whacked into oblivion... did it really need to be a fixed camera, Retro?
For what it's worth, I liked the morph ball puzzles, and I didn't mind all the bosses you have to fight while in morphball form (I had 4 energy tanks when I got to the Boost Guardian, so the battle wasn't quite as bad). I didn't care much for the fetch quest at the end (now please stop doing this in video games, Nintendo), but even that was reasonably good in retrospect.

Not that anyone asked, but I've gotta say Prime 1 > Prime 2 in terms of gameplay, feel and controls, but Prime 2 > Prime 1 in graphics, bosses and puzzles. So as soon as I finished, I popped Prime 3 into the Wii (never got past the initial 'generator quest' to date)... I'm so in love with this game. Shoulda played this one through before Other M... luckily I can always do my planned replay of Other M right afterwards, and keep my Metroid rollin'

-vdz

Somewhat related: I finished the also-polarizing Starfox Adventures last weekend as well, and... I liked it. Been playing it on weekends on and off with my 5 y/o, and even though there's obvious problems and some janky aiming controls that make later parts tough, it was a fun ride and an amazing looking game for it's time. Ninty should absolutely remake this in the "new play control" series at the least, but adding just a few tweaks and rounding out the content near the end would make this game a classic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-07-2011, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen View Post

I did it. Took 30 hours (and 6 years) but I did it.

As previously noted, I felt like bashing my controller into the floor probably 1,000 times... but now that I'm finished, I'm back to my original conclusion: Prime 2 is a better looking game than 1, has some crazy awesome boss fights and is just an overall darn good game. Prime 1 is still better as a whole, but beating this and struggling through all of the tough bits gave me a better appreciation for the game and the series. I also think if I had played this from the Trilogy disc rather than GCN I'd have been a little more impressed and a lot less frustrated. It's my new goal to find a Trilogy copy before they hit $200 on eBay...

What I will probably always despise is
Spoiler  
the s#!tty controls while in the spider ball. I seriously considered quitting every time I had to make a boost ball jump... It made getting around the Sanctuary Fortress infuriating, hitting the last form of Quadraxis was nearly impossible (especially because I had almost no health left), trying to bomb the inglets while spider balling my way around the second form of the Emperor Ing, trying not to get whacked into oblivion... did it really need to be a fixed camera, Retro?
For what it's worth, I liked the morph ball puzzles, and I didn't mind all the bosses you have to fight while in morphball form (I had 4 energy tanks when I got to the Boost Guardian, so the battle wasn't quite as bad). I didn't care much for the fetch quest at the end (now please stop doing this in video games, Nintendo), but even that was reasonably good in retrospect.

Not that anyone asked, but I've gotta say Prime 1 > Prime 2 in terms of gameplay, feel and controls, but Prime 2 > Prime 1 in graphics, bosses and puzzles. So as soon as I finished, I popped Prime 3 into the Wii (never got past the initial 'generator quest' to date)... I'm so in love with this game. Shoulda played this one through before Other M... luckily I can always do my planned replay of Other M right afterwards, and keep my Metroid rollin'

-vdz

Somewhat related: I finished the also-polarizing Starfox Adventures last weekend as well, and... I liked it. Been playing it on weekends on and off with my 5 y/o, and even though there's obvious problems and some janky aiming controls that make later parts tough, it was a fun ride and an amazing looking game for it's time. Ninty should absolutely remake this in the "new play control" series at the least, but adding just a few tweaks and rounding out the content near the end would make this game a classic.

I noticed a local KMart had 3-4 copies of the Trilogy for sale for $49.99 after XMAS. If you have one near you, check them out.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #3 of 9 Old 01-07-2011, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

I noticed a local KMart had 3-4 copies of the Trilogy for sale for $49.99 after XMAS. If you have one near you, check them out.

I didn't realize that was available anywhere...nice.

Chris Schempp
How to post links to Amazon.com Products.
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #4 of 9 Old 01-07-2011, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Schempp View Post
I didn't realize that was available anywhere...nice.
Technically, it isn't.

After reading IGN's praise of Wii's Scarface game a year or so ago, I looked around for it - new or used - to no avail.

Happened to have a rare moment soon after that found me in the local KMart electronics area - looked thru their large glass case of games & found TWO new copies of that game for $19.99 each. Looked to have been there for some time - bought one.

I assume KMart does not pull old inventory like most retailers do. Right after XMAS, I was in their electronics dept again - that is when I saw the new Prime Trilogy discs for $50. A local GameStop had used copies going for $60 around the same time.

Almost am considering buying one just to plop onto eBay.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #5 of 9 Old 01-07-2011, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen View Post

(Heartbreaking ramblings of a crazy person)

I have no son.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-07-2011, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post
I have no son.
But, please, papa?

You know, I still respect your opinions above all others, mongo.... Consider this one post a counterpoint- out of curiosity, have you finished MP2 recently? Up until I found the keys and unlocked the sky temple, I was constantly near saying "screw it", but once I finished and that wave of release swept through to my toes... All the bad was numbed and the good refueled my brainmuscles. It felt... good.

Honestly, I probably wanted to like SFA, tho. I was stunned how good it looked, and between my love for Zeldas and SF64, it just clicked. Let's call that one a draw.

-Benedict Zen
post #7 of 9 Old 01-08-2011, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Oh, I never finished MP2 at all. By the time I got to the Boost Ball guardian, the game had reached the exact intersection of super-tedious and annoyingly hard, and I couldn't justify spending any more time playing it. Weirdly, though I found it even more boring, I did finish SFA, probably because it was overall easy enough to mindlessly slog through to completion. But these days, as I grow older and have less free time, if a game starts feeling distinctly more like work than fun, I'm not gonna bother. A book gets 100 pages to grab me, and a game gets up to a few hours, depending on what type it is.

Then again, I also found Beyond Good & Evil thoroughly uninteresting, which is one of those sleeper hits we videogame dorks are supposed to adore, and I seriously would rather spend the entirety of my remaining recreational life playing with jacks or a simple cup and ball than ever touch any Metal Gear Solid game ever, so maybe it's me that has the bad taste.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-10-2011, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I wonder if giving MP2 another shot via the Trilogy disc would change you mind a little - not that it needs changing, but others have stated that MP2 on the Trilogy disc had some of the GC version's toughest/most tedious sections get tweaked a bit.

post #9 of 9 Old 02-20-2011, 06:50 PM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post
I wonder if giving MP2 another shot via the Trilogy disc would change you mind a little - not that it needs changing, but others have stated that MP2 on the Trilogy disc had some of the GC version's toughest/most tedious sections get tweaked a bit.
As someone who played the original GC and re-release Trilogy version, I can verify that a couple of the insanely hard parts were specifically modified to be easier on the Trilogy version. For the hard-core MP fans that want a challenge, beat MP2 on Hard / Veteran Mode. Simply awesome. Side note: has anyone unlocked and beat MP2 on Hypermode difficulty in the Trilogy? It's still on my to-do list & I was wondering if Hypermode corresponded to the original Hard Mode or was even more difficult. (More difficult would be a neat trick.)

Actually, looks like Hypermode (Wii) = Hard Mode (GC).
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page