post #61 of 245 Old 03-02-2011, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
Well, this is a nice, unexpected feature: Netflix on 3DS!

It will also have support for 3D movie trailers.
Hot Diggity! Now if they get Sling support on this thing I'm back on the train. The idea of a true mobile all-in-one entertainment device (I'll keep my phone separate, thank you) is freekin' sweet. iPod and the like just don't do it for me, I need buttons for gaming.

So now that we'll have 3D trailers... seems likely that we'll see increased consumer demand for other 3D streaming content like movies and TV... could Nintendo be the one that makes 3D relevant outside of theaters?

-vdz

ps I love the teaser for the 3DS Mario. Get a look at that tail, brothers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 245 Old 03-02-2011, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Aw man, Raccoon Mario back? Interest: piqued. Game Gear/TurboGraphx games on the VC is a nice surprise as well.

Some of the augmented reality and "3D graffiti" looks neat too, but I'll wait to see if any of this stuff is ever commonly implemented in games.
post #63 of 245 Old 03-07-2011, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Another strike: DS games load slower on 3DS. Good to hear at least there's no problems, framerate or otherwise, once the game is loaded.

I hope the next gen titles for this handheld kick arse, because reports on backwards compatibility of the 3DS hasn't been stellar.

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #64 of 245 Old 03-07-2011, 09:05 PM

Liked: 93
So every DS game take 5 seconds longer to initially load. That's it, Nintendo should just scrap the whole project. This is unacceptable!

Again, most people won't care. Even the ones that do care and are early adopters won't care a couple months down the road once they've abandoned their DS libraries. You know what's more a inconvenient problem regarding DS game load times? Not having a DS for several months as you already sold it off in anticipation for the next version.

"Not being able to play DS games for months? That's fine. DS games taking ever so slightly longer to load? END OF THE WORLD!". I'm not the only one that sees the incongruity here, right?
post #65 of 245 Old 03-08-2011, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post
So every DS game take 5 seconds longer to initially load. That's it, Nintendo should just scrap the whole project. This is unacceptable!

Again, most people won't care. Even the ones that do care and are early adopters won't care a couple months down the road once they've abandoned their DS libraries. You know what's more a inconvenient problem regarding DS game load times? Not having a DS for several months as you already sold it off in anticipation for the next version.

"Not being able to play DS games for months? That's fine. DS games taking ever so slightly longer to load? END OF THE WORLD!". I'm not the only one that sees the incongruity here, right?
Damn James, I'm just reporting on the Japanese launch so we can curb our exceptions for when it hits over here. I've never said any of this was deal-breakers. My pre-order is still locked in.

When a new product comes out with better hardware in addition to new features, it's easy to think there will be improvements in all areas. If we know ahead of time the minor strikes against it, we can make better decisions about the purchase... or at least not be caught off-guard with minor disappointments.

post #66 of 245 Old 03-08-2011, 06:10 AM

I don't like private messages, so here's a public response:

You know what? I genuinely like you, dude. If I've been too harsh on you, then you have my apologies. I'm pretty obviously prone to hyperbole.

In this case though, we're talking about lost available time for playing DS games. I just found it humorous that the same person that sold off his DS at least a month before it's replacement is released is now the same person reporting about a 5 second delay. This is of course after a string of posts regarding your disappointment in DS support on the 3DS. Again, an apparent incongruity given that having DS support seemingly hasn't been important to you for at least a month.

In addition: None of us have put our hands on the hardware. I can see where you are coming from in the "tempering expectations" department. On my side of this fence though, I see alot of negative posting about hardware that we haven't played with yet. If I'm coming off as especially sarcastic on this subject, it is simply due to being tired of the "DS support is crap!" turn that this thread has taken.

I made special care here to never crap on the PS3 until I owned one, if you know what I mean.
post #67 of 245 Old 03-08-2011, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

For what it's worth, I appreciate your reports, DaverJ. I know I likely won't care about most of it when the time comes to make a purchase, but I always like to know all the minor niggling crap before I fork over my money (even though, in this case, that won't be for a while). Comments about unexpected functionality quirks make for the most educational reading on forums like these.
post #68 of 245 Old 03-08-2011, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 197
If you're concerned about DS compatibility, just pick up a DSiXL down the road when Nintendo starts to phase the platform out. Much larger screens than the 3DS that are able to display the content at it's native resolution along with increased battery life makes it the superior way to enjoy the DS compared to backwards compatibility on the 3DS.

Leave the 3DS for 3DS software.

I keep a Game Boy Advance SP2 (The backlit version) around for GB/GBC/GBA games. Things like the poor button layout for GBA games when played on the DS (Just try to hold down the run button and jump at the same time in a Mario Advance game on the DS to see what I mean), the lack of GB/GBC compatibility, and the fact that GBA carts stick out of the system if you wanted to play with a DS with a decent screen all held back backwards compatibility on the DS, too.

So such quirks aren't exactly new.
post #69 of 245 Old 03-08-2011, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

For what it's worth, I appreciate your reports, DaverJ. I know I likely won't care about most of it when the time comes to make a purchase, but I always like to know all the minor niggling crap before I fork over my money (even though, in this case, that won't be for a while). Comments about unexpected functionality quirks make for the most educational reading on forums like these.

Thanks for the support Mongo!

And in DLJs defense, I didn't realize I was turning the thread into a bitch-fest, but I see it now. Although I did post about the Netflix and 3D movie trailer feature - that's pretty damn cool.

I should clarify that I'm really looking forward to the 3DS. I can't wait to play Pilotwings (plus future 3D games), and the built-in mini games and tech demos look pretty cool too. I'm glad they added the analog nub too, that will help the feel of the controls.

The reason I sold off the DSi -- after messing with the iPod Touch, the screen resolution on the DSi bugged me. But I do miss the multi-screen gaming and the quality DSi software. My concern about backwards compatibility will probably be a moot point once more 3DS software starts rolling out.

post #70 of 245 Old 03-08-2011, 04:33 PM

"after messing with the iPod Touch, the screen resolution on the DSi bugged me."

This is my primary concern with the 3DS myself. I'm used to the iPhone 4's mega-sharp screen now. I'm sure it'll be fine though. It just means that we'll only buy one 3DS at launch instead of our customary two.

And Daver: When you own a 3DS, if it turns out to be kind of crap feel free to complain about it all you want.
post #71 of 245 Old 03-11-2011, 11:51 AM

Liked: 10
This thread is now pretty funny. People post what they want, then wonder when or if DLJ is going to come w/ a moral beat down to the position taken.

For my part, if the device floats your boat thats great.
post #72 of 245 Old 03-11-2011, 08:46 PM

Liked: 11
Guess I'll have to hope for a demo kiosk at a local Best Buy or Gamestop:

Nintendo 3DS Demo Pods

New York. LA. Chicago. San Francisco. Nowhere near me. Thanks Nintendo!

I remember several years ago, when Nintendo had us all excited about the Wii. They came to several cities including my own, with huge crowds waiting to demo each game.

I guess a demo kiosk will be nice, assuming we get one. It's so much more important, IMO, that they get the 3DS in the hands of potential buyers, than any other system, simply because you cannot experience the 3D any other way.
post #73 of 245 Old 03-12-2011, 12:40 AM

The same page does say "Get some hands-on time with a Nintendo 3DS system before launch day, at any one of thousands of retail locations nationwide."

I'm surprised that there isn't a Seattle stop for me, given that NOA is right up here. Close enough that I even worked for them for a very short period of time.
post #74 of 245 Old 03-14-2011, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Hm, on the one hand, getting to try out the 3DS. On the other hand, having to go to Grand Central around lunchtime. That is an alarmingly difficult decision.
post #75 of 245 Old 03-16-2011, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I saw a demo endcap at Best Buy yesterday. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the unit to power up. Perhaps they weren't finished setting it up, since the video screen for promos wasn't on either.
post #76 of 245 Old 03-16-2011, 11:44 AM

Saw this display at Best Buy. Better get one while they're "on sale":

post #77 of 245 Old 03-18-2011, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

IGN has a review up for the 3DS hardware.. Mixed review -- they give it a 7.5. The good news is the 3D effect, if it works for you, works really well.

post #78 of 245 Old 03-18-2011, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

1UP reviewed Pilotwings Resort.. They gave it a "B".

post #79 of 245 Old 03-18-2011, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Sounds like a typical Pilotwings score.

If you're a Pilotwings fan such as myself, you can probably bump that up a letter grade.
post #80 of 245 Old 03-19-2011, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
After seeing my interest wane, the videos and coverage on Kotaku has really excited me again. The games look great and the AR looks like a lot of fun.

I decided to pick up an extra for my wife as well!

I plan on getting SF4, Steel Diver, and Pilot Wings.

I commute via bus and train and currently have an iPhone and iPad. I love my iPad but it's more of my TV companion. I find it to cumbersome on the bus.

I think this will be a great complement to my iPhone on my commute. I'm excited for Ocarina of Time as I've only briefly played it back in the day.

post #81 of 245 Old 03-22-2011, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I watched the ESPN documentary "The Fab Five" and every commercial break showed SF4 3D. It looks awesome!

I'm a HUGE fan of the SF4 franchise and that is all very tempting. I may have to pick up a system in the summer.
post #82 of 245 Old 03-22-2011, 04:06 PM

Liked: 10
For some reason most of the 3DS launch titles don't seem that appealing to me. I like the Street Figther series but never liked playing fighting games on a handheld system.

The only game I preordered with the 3DS on amazon is ghost recon shadow wars, which has already shipped from amazom. But it won't do me any good until the 3DS arrives.

Crossing my fingers that Amazon has enough units in stock to meet all the preorders.
post #83 of 245 Old 03-23-2011, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
My local BestBuy has a 3DS display in the game section. While there yesterdaay afternoon, I got to take Pilotwings for a spin.

Graphically, it is basically Wii Sports Resort with all flying games. Like the incorporation of WuHu Island (?) across various games.

First time seeing the glasses free 3D. Color me impressed. While it's true that it's all about viewing angle, the normal angle/view one would have when holding a DS just happens to be the "sweet spot". Just don't close one eye!

Messed about w/ the 3D slider & found that for me, Pilotwings at about the midway point on the slider gave me a solid 3D effect. Does take some geting used to, espcially after playing a 3D game - they eyes felt slightly wonky afterwards momentarily.

While not personally in the market for a handheld, I was initiallt impressed enough w/ 3DS to think that should I decide to go handheld beyond various Apple products, this is the device I will most likley buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asseenontv View Post

For some reason most of the 3DS launch titles don't seem that appealing to me. I like the Street Figther series but never liked playing fighting games on a handheld system.

While it has taken some adjustment wrapping my head & fingertips around playing it via a touchscreen, I'm really starting to dig the iPod/Phone version of SF IV. Bought the game last week while it was being offered in the App Store for $0.99 - all proceeds are going to Japan relief efforts. SF IV for a buck added to the Red Cross donation we already made - I feel better about helping my fellow Earthlings & get to kick some digital butt, too. Curious to see it on the 3DS.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #84 of 245 Old 03-23-2011, 01:55 PM

post #85 of 245 Old 03-24-2011, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I've got one on pre-order and plan on picking it up this weekend. Based on the reviews I've read, it sounds like Steel Diver is really short. Like only 3-5 hours short. The 3D is supposed to be really good, but the gameplay is centered on replay, which isn't that appealing.

SF IV 3D has gotten near universal praise, so that's a guarantee for me.

The Ghost Recon game is from one of the creators of X-Com and looks pretty good, based on the videos I've seen. The graphics aren't stunning, but the gameplay looks solid (if you like the Advance Wars/Fire Emblem sort of game).

post #86 of 245 Old 03-24-2011, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Amazon has a nice deal going... order a 3DS, get a $25 credit toward a 3DS game after it ships.

This offer will be extended to all existing pre-orders.

post #87 of 245 Old 03-24-2011, 02:24 PM

I spent a bit of time with the 3DS yesterday. The 3D in Pilotwings is extremely mediocre, and the sweet-spot for it to work felt too small with weird color shifts any time you wiggled your head even a little bit. I am very glad that the slider goes to "Off" for the 3D effect. The screen just feels like very "first gen" tech with the 3D turned on.

On the other hand, the screens both felt like much higher quality screens than the DSi. They are a tiny bit sharper, but they seem to handle black a hell of a lot better. By comparison, they felt closer to an iPhone 4 display with great blacks, than an iPhone 3GS screen with it's dark-blue blacks. That was just my initial impression though. I'll have to spend more time with it to confirm.

In rendering capability, it felt like a Wii. Better than a PSP, but not really getting close to a 360. I'd say it's pretty on-par with an iPhone 4 again with the images it can produce, sans resolution. I'll need more time with a variety of games to further judge this.

The body and the feel of the hardware isn't nearly as clunky as I thought it would be. I was fearing a return of the original DS, but this is closer to a DS Lite in execution.

So, the 3D is a flop of a gimmick, but the large processing improvement over the DS line still makes it worthwhile. The lack of a real resolution increase is a bit disappointing, but with proper 3D acceleration hardware now included sub-pixel rendering is now a possibility. This can bring a much sharper "feel" to the screen without more physical pixels.

Now to see if the lame 3D turns this device in to a Virtual Boy, or if the improved hardware just gives the large volume of classic DS devs more to work with in the "flat 3D" DS style of game.
post #88 of 245 Old 03-24-2011, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames
I spent a bit of time with the 3DS yesterday. The 3D in Pilotwings is extremely mediocre, and the sweet-spot for it to work felt too small with weird color shifts any time you wiggled your head even a little bit. I am very glad that the slider goes to "Off" for the 3D effect. The screen just feels like very "first gen" tech with the 3D turned on.

On the other hand, the screens both felt like much higher quality screens than the DSi. They are a tiny bit sharper, but they seem to handle black a hell of a lot better. By comparison, they felt closer to an iPhone 4 display with great blacks, than an iPhone 3GS screen with it's dark-blue blacks. That was just my initial impression though. I'll have to spend more time with it to confirm.

In rendering capability, it felt like a Wii. Better than a PSP, but not really getting close to a 360. I'd say it's pretty on-par with an iPhone 4 again with the images it can produce, sans resolution. I'll need more time with a variety of games to further judge this.

The body and the feel of the hardware isn't nearly as clunky as I thought it would be. I was fearing a return of the original DS, but this is closer to a DS Lite in execution.

So, the 3D is a flop of a gimmick, but the large processing improvement over the DS line still makes it worthwhile. The lack of a real resolution increase is a bit disappointing, but with proper 3D acceleration hardware now included sub-pixel rendering is now a possibility. This can bring a much sharper "feel" to the screen without more physical pixels.

Now to see if the lame 3D turns this device in to a Virtual Boy, or if the improved hardware just gives the large volume of classic DS devs more to work with in the "flat 3D" DS style of game.
Any chance you got to use the 3d via AR? The AR seems to be all the rage at neogaf.

I'm right in NYC but have been to exhausted to head out and do a hands on. I'll wait until my delivery on Monday I guess.

post #89 of 245 Old 03-25-2011, 03:01 AM

Oh, I'm sure the AR is rad as hell. I've already played with that on my iPhone though, so that isn't anything new to me.
post #90 of 245 Old 03-25-2011, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizarDru View Post

The Ghost Recon game is from one of the creators of X-Com and looks pretty good, based on the videos I've seen. The graphics aren't stunning, but the gameplay looks solid (if you like the Advance Wars/Fire Emblem sort of game).

The British site NOWGamer gave Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars the highest review of all the launch 3DS titles.

Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page