post #91 of 245 Old 03-25-2011, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

I spent a bit of time with the 3DS yesterday. The 3D in Pilotwings is extremely mediocre, and the sweet-spot for it to work felt too small with weird color shifts any time you wiggled your head even a little bit. I am very glad that the slider goes to "Off" for the 3D effect. The screen just feels like very "first gen" tech with the 3D turned on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

The good news is the 3D effect, if it works for you, works really well.

See - I found the 3D in Pilotwings to be rather impressive, although about midway on the slider looked the best, despite having less "depth".

Not doubting your assessment, darklordjames......but I wonder if our 2 different reactions are just due to how for some the 3D "works" or does not.
Still n plan to give up the Touch for quickie handheld gaming for now...but SFIV 3D is still tempting.....

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 245 Old 03-25-2011, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I think I'm going to wait until Ocarina of Time comes out.

I never got into iPod Touch gaming. I find the DS to be far superior. Games are more expensive but it's worth it IMO.

OOT + SF4 3D = enough 3DS goodness to last a long time.
post #93 of 245 Old 03-25-2011, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I keep reading about the games, hoping one will sell me, but none are doing it for me.

I'll likely end up canceling my pre-order, and just get it whenever some games I do think I'll want come out.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #94 of 245 Old 03-25-2011, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 469
If you are on the fence, this little item might change your mind.
post #95 of 245 Old 03-25-2011, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Should have mine on Monday. I'll post my take on it. Pilotwings and ghost recon came today.

Heard great things on gaf about recon and heard stores only got a few copies.

post #96 of 245 Old 03-25-2011, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Kotaku confirms that ghost recon is the game to own. Ubisoft! Who'd of thunk

post #97 of 245 Old 03-25-2011, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

So I couldn't resist... on the way home from work I popped in to Best Buy just to check out the 3DS.

ohhhh... I think it's very cool. I love the feel of the analog nub, and once I found the sweet spot for the top screen, LOVE the 3D effect in Pilotwings. And the screens look very nice, too.

Now I can't wait for next week for Amazon to ship, and just changed my order's shipping to one-day delivery. NEW TOY! Bring on the Zelda remake.

BTW, this is an interesting, and quiet extensive, overview of the 3DS.
post #98 of 245 Old 03-25-2011, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Let's be sure to exchange friend codes upon release gents!

post #99 of 245 Old 03-25-2011, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Had this at my door tonight. Not sure how it is but it looks fun? I like the other lego games.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

post #100 of 245 Old 03-25-2011, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I dropped in Best Buy earlier today as well. Was disappointed the demo unit was locked in to Pilot Wings; I was anxious to try some 3D photos.

My level of enthusiasm is somewhere between DLJ and DaverJ's. I don't think the 3D is a gimmicky flop, but it was also a bit tricky for me to find the sweet spot and keep it throughout gameplay. I think I'll have an easier time if I'm able to sit down while playing.

The analog nub is a huge plus for me. Felt very natural, as if I'd been using it for years.

I also think the unit itself looks great. Seems very well put-together, and felt more like a nice handheld device rather than a plasticky toy (i.e. turquoise DSi). I ordered a black one, but was really digging the blue demo unit.

I only played for 15-20 minutes, and my eyes hurt a bit after, but I'm sure it's something you have to get used to. Fortunately, there's always the option to simply shut off the 3D. DLJ is right that the screen looks great even in 2D.

I almost bought a protective case for $20, but stopped because I'd rather use that money toward a game. One of the things I love about the DS line is that it's self-protecting with its clamshell design.

Already bought Ridge Racer, just couldn't wait, lol. Getting my unit Sunday, and will probably pick up Monkey Ball, one of my favorite series.
post #101 of 245 Old 03-26-2011, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
That box is ridiculously oversized.

Stupid question: is that an SD card?

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #102 of 245 Old 03-26-2011, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow View Post

No. It's more like a ds cart with a tab on right corner. The box is thinner than ds cases. Feels more like a blu case. The plastic is also cut out all around. The packaging is way too big though.

post #103 of 245 Old 03-26-2011, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Yay... Amazon shipped the 3DS and Pilotwings today! The console should be here monday (one day shipping), and the game Tuesday (2 day), but I wouldn't be surprised if both arrive on Monday.

EDIT: I just checked and both estimate delivery on Monday. Probably shouldn't have upgraded to one-day shipping on the console, but oh well.

Now I just have to get through one day of "I got mine!" posts.
post #104 of 245 Old 03-26-2011, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Yay... Amazon shipped the 3DS and Pilotwings today! The console should be here monday (one day shipping), and the game Tuesday (2 day), but I wouldn't be surprised if both arrive on Monday.

Now I just have to get through one day of "I got mine!" posts.

I'm willing to bet most on here went with amazon because of their $25 deal.

post #105 of 245 Old 03-26-2011, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:

Now to see if the lame 3D turns this device in to a Virtual Boy

I don't know about you, but I'd be first in line to get a 3DS if it had a full color remake of Virtual Boy Wario Land, Mario Clash, or Teleroboxer.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #106 of 245 Old 03-26-2011, 04:42 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow View Post

The case is defnitely larger than it should be. No reason for the width of the case to be longer than the PSP cases, considering the PSP UMDs are twice as big as the 3ds catridges.

I also ordered a copy of SSF4 because of the amazon deal. Was on the ropes about the game at first but after seeing the postives reviews decided to give on getting it.

That and ghost recon should hold me over for a while before more appealing 3DS games are relased.
post #107 of 245 Old 03-27-2011, 12:15 AM

Liked: 93
"No reason for the width of the case to be longer than the PSP cases"

DVD set the standard. Anything with less width than a DVD case sits too far back on a media shelf. If anything, the PSP game case is a retarded design.
post #108 of 245 Old 03-27-2011, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Amazon orders, in addition to getting $25 toward a 3DS game, also get a free accessory. Of course all the accessories to choose from are crap, but hey - there's the "bear puppet carrying case".

I also got an additional $10 credit toward a game for pre-ordering Pilotwings, so those two credits together make almost a free second game! I'm torn between the Ghost Recon game (I'm not really into turn-based games, but could be cool?), Ridge Racer (mediocre reviews, but love driving games), and Nintendogs + Cats (I've never played one of these and not sure I get it, but has great reviews). Oh, and maybe Steel Diver. I don't like fighting games, but I haven't completely ruled out Street Fighter.

I'm looking forward to hearing reactions to what everyone's playing! This list was helpful.
post #109 of 245 Old 03-27-2011, 12:22 PM

Nintendogs is the right choice.
post #110 of 245 Old 03-27-2011, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 186
By the way, if anyone is looking for recent DS games to play using the backwards compatibility during the light slate of games at launch, I highly recommend 999, Ghost Trick, and Okamiden.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #111 of 245 Old 03-27-2011, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Nintendogs is the right choice.
I know Nintendo first-party games are usually the safe choice (especially at launch), but is Nintendogs a good game? I was thinking it was more of a cute, Tamagotchi-style pet sim.

My brain is telling me either Nintendogs or Ghost Recon is the wise choice, but I'm really itching for some 3D racing ala Ridge Racer.

Nobody's posted that they picked up a 3DS today. I guess AVSers aren't much on hand-held gaming.

The OP should probably change the name of this thread if it's to continue.
post #112 of 245 Old 03-27-2011, 04:32 PM

Got one!
post #113 of 245 Old 03-27-2011, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ

I know Nintendo first-party games are usually the safe choice (especially at launch), but is Nintendogs a good game? I was thinking it was more of a cute, Tamagotchi-style pet sim.

My brain is telling me either Nintendogs or Ghost Recon is the wise choice, but I'm really itching for some 3D racing ala Ridge Racer.

Nobody's posted that they picked up a 3DS today. I guess AVSers aren't much on hand-held gaming.

The OP should probably change the name of this thread if it's to continue.
Personally I'd stay away from the dog game. Not too much game there

I hear the 3d on ridge racer makes the car float off the road.

Ive played neither though.

I got Lego star wars, sf4, pilotwings and ghost recon.

My 3ds comes from Amazon tomorrow.

post #114 of 245 Old 03-27-2011, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Got mine today, wanted to post earlier, but been busy with a sick baby

The last couple of days, I was fearing the worst, as I was somewhat bothered by Pilotwings (made my eyes hurt). But since picking up my own 3DS, along with Ridge Racer and Monkey Ball, I've had no problems. Might be the ambient lighting, or the game itself, who knows.

So far, I love it. The first thing I did was try out the 3D camera, took a few baby pics. She was holding a spoon, and I got a couple of great 3D shots of that. I wonder if we can post these and share them with other 3DS-ers?

I didn't know exactly what the AR cards were, and purposely avoided looking it up so I could be surprised... Well, they are extremely cool. I have only played archery so far, but it looks like the targets are actually on the desk.

Ridge Racer was really good, I have only played RR on Xbox 360, but really like the arcade style racing. It definitely adds some depth to both the scenery and road itself, and I felt that much more immersed in the action.

Monkey ball is one of my favorite series, and I though the 3D is very well done, but the last two versions of Monkey Ball have disappointed me in that they've drastically changed how you play through the main game. I'm not a big fan of each world being a completely separate game... I like the old way where a complete game is all worlds, one after another.

On the unit itself... I posted earlier that I felt it was well constructed, and I still think so. I really like the cradle - was surprised the unit charges simply by resting on it.

Hope others here can post their thoughts... I'm off to start a friend-code sharing thread
post #115 of 245 Old 03-27-2011, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

I got my 3DS today, along with four games: Steel Diver, Ridge Racer, Rayman, and Super Street Fighter IV. Steel Diver seems really great so far - a slow-moving side-scrolling submarine simulator game where the bottom screen is all complicated touchscreen controls. It's a very unique game that feels a lot like an old 8-bit computer game - my only fear is that it'll be fairly short, as there are only 8 missions. Ridge Racer is your average arcade racer, built around drifting. Street Fighter is a great port of the console games, VERY packed with features.

But my favorite game is Rayman 3D - it's really a port of Rayman 2: The Great Escape, which came out for every old game system under the sun (this one is a port of the Dreamcast version). The game is one of the best 3D platformers around, with great music, fun gameplay, a bit of humor, and very awesome 3D effects: the world has dust motes floating in the air, groups of butterflies float around, and the world just has a real feeling of 3D. There's some minor ghosting during cutscenes, but not enough to detract from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtiebird View Post

So far, I love it. The first thing I did was try out the 3D camera, took a few baby pics. She was holding a spoon, and I got a couple of great 3D shots of that. I wonder if we can post these and share them with other 3DS-ers?

Yeah, they are saved to the SD card in the system as ".mpo" files, which is kind-of becoming a standard for 3D photos (the Fujifilm W3 3D camera uses .mpo files as well). You can take someone's .mpo and put it on your SD card, and then it's just like you took the picture on your 3DS.

"Playing this game is like having your eyes slit open with straight razors, filled with baby spider eggs, then re-sealed, and then being treated to the sensation of hundreds of tiny, venemous little arachnids bursting into being behind your pupils, consuming everything they can touch, and feeling...
post #116 of 245 Old 03-28-2011, 02:06 AM

Okay, spent a little time with my girl's 3DS tonight.

Screens: The black levels are certainly vastly improved. They aren't quite on par with an iPhone 4, but do look black instead of dark-blue like a DS or iPod Touch 3rd gen. The resolution is also fine. It's kind of crappy to see the aliasing of high-contrast lines next to each other, but it doesn't feel as low resolution as I had feared. It's on par with a iPod Touch 3rd gen, and certainly better than a DS. While pixel structure is evident if you look for it, it isn't as blatant as with a DS.

Audio: It's fine. Speakers on par with a DSi or iPhone 4. Mic is functional.

Body: It's a solid device, on par with a DS Lite. I don't like the angles of the top half, but what are you gonna do, right?

System software: There are far too many "This feature is coming in a system update later" warnings. The system is very much running "stable beta" software.

3D Camera: Low res, but still awesome as hell.

Augmented reality: The use of the AR cards is really well done. It would be nice if it used predictive positioning to counter viewing obstruction, but the software is snappy enough at finding the card again that it doesn't matter much. Playing a game of pool-golf on my deformed desk surface is extremely rad.

Nintendogs: My girl says it's great. We both really liked the first one, being a virtual pet that is far more interactive than a Tamagachi or the like. She says it improves on the formula, but still feels kind of v1.5 in nature. If you didn't play Nintendogs before, then play it now. If you already played it and loved it, then get this version too. If you hated what you played last time, then not enough changed to change your mind. Really guys, dismissing Nintendogs is a mistake. The interactions with your puppy are a very unique experience that you won't find elsewhere in gaming.

Oh, and do your system update to see a 3D OK Go music video. Terrible music, but they make great videos!
post #117 of 245 Old 03-28-2011, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
How impressed are you guys with this thing? I've got it stored in my amazon cart, with twitchy fingers....

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #118 of 245 Old 03-28-2011, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

How impressed are you guys with this thing? I've got it stored in my amazon cart, with twitchy fingers....

Picked mine up yesterday, and I LOVE it. Some thoughts:

1) Nintendo surprised me by making it FORWARDS-COMPATIBLE with the DSi's charging cables. So the car charger for our DSi units works with it. Charge time is long, but the cradle is nice and it will accomodate my daily commute.

2) The 3D just works. Yes, it's a trifle gimmicky. Yes, it has a narrow viewing angle. But it works great. SFIV and Ghost Recon feel...'realer', somehow.

3) I agree that there's at least three too many 'feature to be activated soon' messages. No web browser, eShop or System Transfer at launch? For shame, Nintendo.

4) The bundled games and features, however, are a blast. My kids practically fought over the chance to play Face Raiders, for example. Designing Miis is hit or miss, but just as fun as before. Mii Plaza is the casual RPG ever.

I currently have two games: Super Street Fighter IV 3D and Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars. SSFIV is...well, it's a full-blown SSFIV game. The analog stick works well and the touch-screen buttons help overcome the difficulty brought on by having the bumpers for Heavy attacks. Graphically it's very sharp...not up the 360/PS3 version, but it's easily a match for a Wii version, if one existed. Only real differences are more static backgrounds and still pictures instead of full-animated cut-scenes during the character stories. Haven't tried the online, yet.

Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars is a turn-based strategy game from the maker of the original X-Com. It is SWEET. The 3D is a nice enhancement on top of a solid game. If you liked Fire Emblem or Advance Wars? You'll love this. And no, it's not a DS port...it's clearly designed from the ground up for the 3DS, though it does have a noticeable blemish in no online play. It does feature head-to-head dueling over local wireless.

All in all, I'm digging it. A few hiccups don't detract from an otherwise solid piece of kit with an obvious future.
post #119 of 245 Old 03-28-2011, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Thanks for the reply, Wizardru. I'm actually thinking, with Zelda's 25th here and Ocarina of Time due in June, what's the odds of a special Zelda themed commemorative 3DS? I'm willing to wait until June to see how that turns out, though this means missing out on the Amazon deal ( $25 off any launch game with 3DS purchase). I've heard alot of good things about Shadow Wars, a hidden gem of sorts....

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #120 of 245 Old 03-28-2011, 01:19 PM

Liked: 10
Mine just arrived from Amazon via the mail man. Funny thing is I only choose standard shipping option.

I was contemplating about upgrading to one day shipping last week but ended up forgetting about it and saved a few bucks. Guess one of their distribution center is really close to Los Angeles.
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page