3DS Official Price & Release Date Announced - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-19-2011, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
No more speculation - Nintendo 3DS is launching on March 27th at a cost of $250.

So what are people's plans now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2011, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

No more speculation - Nintendo 3DS is launching on March 27th at a cost of $250.

So what are people's plans now?

Just pre-ordered from Amazon.

I don't know why... I barely do handheld gaming anymore. But I know when it comes out I will want to play with it.

To quote Penny Arcade: "I am a consumer whore."
Old 01-19-2011, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Day before my 41st birthday....hmmm...should I ask for a 3DS?

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

Old 01-19-2011, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Well...

$249.99 is lower than I expected, and the ability to transfer DSi stuff and the (almost 21st century) friend code system is 'progressive' for Ninty (translation: no Wii-style 200 digit friend codes... there's still a unique code tied to your 3DS only, but at least you can add a user name to it).

I fully expected we'd get %uttf^!%ed and pay $299, but the list of what we know about these is still fair to blah, and gives me little incentive to go day 1:

Unfortunately typical crap included with 3DS:
• Charging cradle
• AC adapter
• Stylus
• 2GB SD Memory Card
• 6 AR Cards
0 pack in games announced

Amish-level Nintendo stubbornness:
• 3-5 hour battery life in 3DS mode, with a 3 HOUR RECHARGE TIME
• 100% region locked
• Launch titles mostly recycled N64 IPs
• Only blue and black models, both ugly as homemade sin

I'm not underwhelmed, it's a nice piece of tech and a move up for Nintendo for sure, but that opinion is mostly a function of the price being lower than it could have been... so I'm still gonna wait.

Which is good, since I expect these to be sold out for basically forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

Day before my 41st birthday....hmmm...should I ask for a 3DS?

well, yeah! And suddenly the '1970' part makes perfect sense!

-vdz
Old 01-19-2011, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

So what is going to be THE 3DS game launch game to own?
Old 01-19-2011, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
well it includes a 2gb flash card so you can load games on it... you know it will be cracked at launch. I dont' know anyone that actually buys games for the DS.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just gave the wife the go-ahead to run up to Gamestop and preorder mine. Wonder if I can sell my DSi on eBay for more than their $50 trade in value...
Old 01-19-2011, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Pre-ordered mine from Amazon with one day shipping. Still not sure if I am going to play it or sell it for a profit yet, gotta see how the launch lineup turns out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch Window View Post

-Pilotwings Resort™
-nintendogs™ + cats
-Steel Diver™
-Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked
-Super Street Fighter® IV 3D Edition
-Resident Evil®: The Mercenaries 3D
-Madden NFL Football
-The Sims™ 3
-Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D
-LEGO® Star Wars® III: The Clone Wars™
-Ridge Racer® 3D
-Dual Pen Sports™
-Super Monkey Ball™ 3D
-Thor™: God of Thunder
-CRUSH™ 3D
-BUST-A-MOVE™ UNIVERSE
-Samurai Warriors® Chronicles
-Dead or Alive® Dimensions
-Asphalt™ 3D
-Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon® Shadow Wars
-Combat of Giants™: Dinosaurs 3D
-Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell® 3D
-Rayman® 3D
-Rabbids® Travel in Time

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen View Post

so I'm still gonna wait.

-vdz

Not for a price drop, I hope. The DS launched at $129 and is still, 7 years later, $129. Hell, they supersized it and increased the price. I'd expect the 3DS, if it enjoys the same sales, to be $249 for its entire lifespan. Although, at $249 its not exactly an 'impulse buy', particularly when you figure there's going to be a lot of parents looking to buy one for little Jack and Jill. The price literally doubled from the DS....

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

Old 01-19-2011, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

voodoozen, the battery life thing is probably because the screen is a giant energy killer. Honestly, Nintendo has been stressing battery life for over two decades so I am very surprised to see that low battery time. Any company making a handheld device nowadays (and there are a lot) just do the best they can. My guess is the first hardware revision will have much greater life. This screen is brand new tech and with all the research going on in glasses free 3D I expect advancements quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

Not for a price drop, I hope. The DS launched at $129 and is still, 7 years later, $129.

It's easier to drop from $249 than it is to $129. The funny thing is that the PSP was pilloried for launching at $249. It's true that game consoles don't drop in price like they used to. I plan on waiting for the inevitable hardware revision next year.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Glad it's not $299, but I'm still happy to wait for the inevitable 3DS Lite. The thing looks
almost intentionally chunky and clunky, since early adopters won't care what it looks like and future hardware revisions will seem even more attractive by comparison. However, the battery life is really what kills it for me. I understand it's new technology but releasing a handheld with such short battery life seems distastefully un-Nintendo. I have fond memories of my Game Boy/DS keeping me company for entire plane rides to Asia; the 3DS's battery seems like it would die on me before I even left the airport.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Hey, I'm not completely let down, just a little sad for what could have been a truly awesome portable console... Let me respond:

-vdz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post

well it includes a 2gb flash card so you can load games on it... you know it will be cracked at launch. I dont' know anyone that actually buys games for the DS.

I'll say it right here: I give 3DS no more than 5 months to a full softmod hack allowing playable everything, minus maybe 3DSWare or updates. Region locking already = po'd code kiddies, and the obvious undercurrent of R4 cards for original DS means 3DS CFW is a done deal, very soon and very cheap. Also, based on the internet, you have the stretchiest anus I'll (n)ever see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtiebird View Post

Just gave the wife the go-ahead to run up to Gamestop and preorder mine. Wonder if I can sell my DSi on eBay for more than their $50 trade in value...

Oh hell yeah. Except "eBay" = "craigslist", and "trade in value" = "what sad moms who didn't score a 3DS will pay in the meantime". Dude, I think you're golden. No, add $60... BONUS golden!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Pre-ordered mine from Amazon with one day shipping. Still not sure if I am going to play it or sell it for a profit yet, gotta see how the launch lineup turns out.

You have time to add a second pre order... (see above for resale input)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

Not for a price drop, I hope. The DS launched at $129 and is still, 7 years later, $129. Hell, they supersized it and increased the price. I'd expect the 3DS, if it enjoys the same sales, to be $249 for its entire lifespan. Although, at $249 its not exactly an 'impulse buy', particularly when you figure there's going to be a lot of parents looking to buy one for little Jack and Jill. The price literally doubled from the DS....

No, but it's not gonna be a day one. I'l likely hold out now for the 3DS slim, the high battery life 3D portable that'll compete with an inevitable Android/iPhone 3D entry...

Oh, and:
  • DS launched at $149 USD in the US in 2004.
  • DSi started at $169
  • DSi Xl launched at $189.

DS Lite was $129 but was lighter AND had (has) an 8+ hour battery life, plus I hear it had 50% fewer calories. Math's not my strong point.

Quote:

voodoozen, the battery life thing is probably because the screen is a giant energy killer. Honestly, Nintendo has been stressing battery life for over two decades so I am very surprised to see that low battery time. Any company making a handheld device nowadays (and there are a lot) just do the best they can. My guess is the first hardware revision will have much greater life. This screen is brand new tech and with all the research going on in glasses free 3D I expect advancements quickly.

Yup, and with the revelation that there's not some unfortunate overclocking or taxing of the processor (remember those shaders built into the GPU?) means that they've put something in there that pushes graphics at a VERY high expense of battery life. I fly 4 hours each way multiple times a year, and over 8 hours at least once... and my GBA Micro makes the trip. NAY, Nintendo, I say. Nay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

Glad it's not $299, but I'm still happy to wait for the inevitable 3DS Lite. The thing looks
almost intentionally chunky and clunky, since early adopters won't care what it looks like and future hardware revisions will seem even more attractive by comparison. However, the battery life is really what kills it for me. I understand it's new technology but releasing a handheld with such short battery life seems distastefully un-Nintendo. I have fond memories of my Game Boy/DS keeping me company for entire plane rides to Asia; the 3DS's battery seems like it would die on me before I even left the airport.

Amen, amigo. Amen. And what's up with the bottom being the wrong size for the unit? What happened??

Old 01-19-2011, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:

I plan on waiting for the inevitable hardware revision next year.

Admittedly, I sold my DS( and my PSP) a few years ago. I've been considering getting the 3DS, but at this point I think I'll just try and find me a cheap DS XL to hold me for a few years till the next 3DS model. I'm not really a huge portable gamer, just want something to eff around with every so often. $250 is out of the range I'm willing to pay for a portable at this point.

Quote:

[*]DS launched at $149 USD in the US in 2004.

Did it really? Could have sworn it was $129 launch.... in any event, that's still pretty amazing that the system never dropped below $100 in its 7 year run.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

Old 01-19-2011, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yup, and with the revelation that there's not some unfortunate overclocking or taxing of the processor (remember those shaders built into the GPU?) means that they've put something in there that pushes graphics at a VERY high expense of battery life. I fly 4 hours each way multiple times a year, and over 8 hours at least once... and my GBA Micro makes the trip. NAY, Nintendo, I say. Nay!

Yea, I actually think the GPU in there is underclocked, like the PSP's CPU for the first few years. When more energy efficient 3DS systems come out Nintendo will probably let developers code to the full speed. The first gen 3DS systems will get like 30 minutes of battery life by then.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Very excited to pick one up but not very excited about the launch line up. Reminds me of the ds launch. The only really great title was Mario 64.

How cool would a Mario galaxy be on this system?

Old 01-19-2011, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Also I think Nintendo may be able to curb piracy if they have a compelling multiplayer feature.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 195
I'm not sure I'll get the 3DS right away, but from playing some games in 3D on my TV, I definitely think it's got a great chance to be a big hit.

I just don't really have enough of an opportunity for portable gaming for more than 10-15 minutes at a time any more, and in those instances, a smartphone fills the time perfectly.

I play my DS more sitting in the comfort of my own apartment than anywhere else, and so it doesn't really make sense to spend the money yet, especially when Nintendo refreshes their portable hardware as often as they do.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
Old 01-21-2011, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I think I'll probably get Pilotwings Resort and Zelda: Ocarina at launch, if available.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

On Weekend Confirmed Garnet talked about a Statue Mode in Street Fighter 4.

So basically if you walk past or are in the vicinity of other people that have a 3DS, your "fighters" will have a simulated fight without your input at all. It just happens.

That sounds pretty rad to me.

Old 01-22-2011, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalmieri1203 View Post

On Weekend Confirmed Garnet talked about a Statue Mode in Street Fighter 4.

So basically if you walk past or are in the vicinity of other people that have a 3DS, your "fighters" will have a simulated fight without your input at all. It just happens.

That sounds pretty rad to me.

Might be pretty rad the dozen or so times the stars ever lined up perfectly and two 3DS owners with their handheld in that mode with that game inside it walked close to each other.

For 99.9% of the owners of this thing, they're never going to have it happen. Might as well go look for Big Foot or something, your chances are about the same.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
Might be pretty rad the dozen or so times the stars ever lined up perfectly and two 3DS owners with their handheld in that mode with that game inside it walked close to each other.

For 99.9% of the owners of this thing, they're never going to have it happen. Might as well go look for Big Foot or something, your chances are about the same.
Unless you live in a city, and travel by thousands of people a day, of course. I doubt it has to be THAT close too, since it's probably using something like a Wifi connection for it.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Dragon Quest IX on DS had a mode like that. One day I optimistically walked around NYC for a few hours with my DS on me in that mode. Ultimately: Nothin'. Then I happened to be going to Japan for a couple weeks, so I decided to try the same thing in Tokyo. I got three "tags" inside half an hour.

So yeah, that kinda thing is much more built for Japan.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yea, tag mode in the USA is absolutely useless unfortunately. It *might* be more prevalent with the 3DS since it is more of a system-wide thing but still, it will pale in comparison to Japan.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

Dragon Quest IX on DS had a mode like that. One day I optimistically walked around NYC for a few hours with my DS on me in that mode. Ultimately: Nothin'. Then I happened to be going to Japan for a couple weeks, so I decided to try the same thing in Tokyo. I got three "tags" inside half an hour.

So yeah, that kinda thing is much more built for Japan.

Well there's a huge difference in the DS and the 3DS' use of it, in that on the DS you have to be playing the specific game. I thought I read that the 3DS goes by any game you saved, so it should be more likely that you get someone else who has the same game.

Still, I definitely agree that it's more useful in Japan, but it could work decent in some cases here too.

Old 01-22-2011, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

Well there's a huge difference in the DS and the 3DS' use of it, in that on the DS you have to be playing the specific game. I thought I read that the 3DS goes by any game you saved, so it should be more likely that you get someone else who has the same game.

Still, I definitely agree that it's more useful in Japan, but it could work decent in some cases here too.

Yeah according to weekend confirmed you just need a save file.

It appears a ton of the games have been slated for June 2nd. Seems like that should have been the proper release date.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 211
If it just needs a save file present, it's more viable than I gave it credit for.

"Unless you live in a city, and travel by thousands of people a day, of course. I doubt it has to be THAT close too, since it's probably using something like a Wifi connection for it. "

It's using WiFi to communicate to another DS directly, not wireless hotspots. So you'd need to be at least pretty close to someone for it to happen. If I'm not within line of sight playing a game with someone on the current DS and go into a different room, we're losing connection constantly. So it's WiFi isn't the most powerful thing in the world and not terribly far reaching.

I would think you'd have to be within 30' or so of someone for this to be possible. There's an excellent chance for most of us that we're never going to encounter someone else randomly. I guess if you spend a lot of time on longer distance commuter trains somewhere like NYC or Chicago or do a lot of flying that it might be more viable.

Still, I didn't mean to rain on everyone's parade. Just having some fun with it since it does require a good bit of luck for it to happen. I think it's a neat feature, too.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I don't understand - it interrupts what you're doing and plays a video? And that's good?

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

Old 01-27-2011, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Good lawd... ain't a good day at the Nintendo ranch. First PSP2 details are released (wowza, BTW), Wii sales are called down yet again, and then a confirmation of the poor battery life 3DS will offer:

Short version:
3D enabled: 3 - 5 hours
3D disabled: 4 - 6 hours
2D/DS mode: 6 - 8 hours
Drop all of those by 10% with WiFi active while running the backlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendo View Post

Umezu: What eats more electricity than anything in a handheld gaming device is the LCD backlight.

Iwata: Nintendo 3DS has two of those—and the upper one is for 3D.

Umezu: Right. And the 3D one has to delivery separate images to the left and right eyes. Which means that in 3D the amount of light delivered to each eye is halved. In order to make it look just as bright as usual, you have to increase the brightness of the backlight, which increases the power used by even more.

Iwata: In principle, it may not be much use in a game with lots of bright screens, but if you set the backlight to bright, the more darker screens there are in a game, the greater the effect of the power save mode.

Umezu: Right. But you can't say exactly how much of an effect the power save mode is having on game processing because of the various factors that influence power use, such as how constantly the SoC is running, whether you're using the camera or wireless, and how loud the volume is set.

Iwata: Maybe you can't be exact, but how about an approximation?

Umezu: We announced the other day that the battery duration for playing Nintendo 3DS games on it is about three to five hours. When I measured it by playing several Nintendo games, with the backlight set to the brightest level and the power save mode turned off, battery duration was about three hours. But if you use the power save mode under the same conditions, it gets about 10-20% longer. And if you set the backlight to the darkest setting, the battery lasts five hours, but the power save mode makes less of a difference then.

Iwata: In other words, the brightness of the backlight has the greatest effect on battery duration.

Umezu: Right. What's more, with the backlight set as high as it will go, battery life changes about 25% according to whether you're playing in 2D or 3D.

Iwata: Yes, 3D is a battle against power use. How about wireless use? Some players may be worried about that.

Umezu: In StreetPass mode, the system isn't always communicating, so there isn't much of a drain on the battery, but games that communicate a lot through local play and online play—with the backlight set to high—have an over 10% effect on the battery.

Still a 'meh' for me, and I was really hoping to be excited. I'll stick with my decrepit old GB Micro and it's antiquated 6-8 hours battery life for a few more years.

-vdz
Old 01-27-2011, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

The specs on the PSP2 look impressive, but I just don't see how that could come in at any even remotely reasonably price (I'm thinking $350 at a minimum, honestly).

And haven't we been through this before with the original PSP? Raw power isn't enough for a handheld, if it comes at that high of a cost.

Besides that, I think that the iPhone / Android phones are even more of a competition for the PSP2 as opposed to the DS/3DS. I realize they usually don't have real gaming controls, so it's a little different, but it seems to me that they're competing more on the graphics and power front, whereas the DS and 3DS are generally seen to be an entirely different experience.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the Playstation Phone (Xperia Play) is more popular than the PSP2, despite how much more powerful the PSP2 is.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

The specs on the PSP2 look impressive, but I just don't see how that could come in at any even remotely reasonably price (I'm thinking $350 at a minimum, honestly).

And haven't we been through this before with the original PSP? Raw power isn't enough for a handheld, if it comes at that high of a cost.

Besides that, I think that the iPhone / Android phones are even more of a competition for the PSP2 as opposed to the DS/3DS. I realize they usually don't have real gaming controls, so it's a little different, but it seems to me that they're competing more on the graphics and power front, whereas the DS and 3DS are generally seen to be an entirely different experience.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the Playstation Phone (Xperia Play) is more popular than the PSP2, despite how much more powerful the PSP2 is.

I'm with you here- PSP2 is basically a handheld PS3, and even if Sony does sell it for a sizable loss I'm stillguess it to be ~$300, and games around $40-$50. They'll sell tons to guys who want to play COD and MMORPG's, but looks like they'll completely overshoot the non-hardcore gamer yet again. Still, an impressive piece of portable hardware.

Personally, I really like the PSP Go, and wish the 3DS was more like it in form and power. It's a great size, the slide out screen is perfect for a gaming handheld, and it's plenty powerful (plus it's now running CFW).

Way off topic for this thread, but I read the Engadget article yesterday on the Xperia, and I'm leaning towards it. This might be my next handheld... and phone, and MP3 player, and calendar, and...

-vdz

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/26/s...phone-preview/