Okami on Wii, feels like a downgrade - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-19-2011, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm having a hard time enjoying Okami on the Wii for several reasons. I was nostalgic and happened to have a sealed copy of Okami for the Wii handy and popped it in. I've played this game 3 or 4 times on the PS2 before since it is my favorite PS2 game. The first thing that struck me was how blurry, muddy, and desaturated the game looked. I remember it being much sharper and colorful on a relatively recent playthrough with the same TV setup, although I don't have a PS2 handy right now to compare. My TV settings had already been fine-tuned for other Wii games, so that shouldn't be the issue. Did the paper filter of the PS2 version mask the blurriness of the game? That doesn't make sense to me.

The next annoying thing was that all the animal farm voices sounded really garbled, like they were cut up and the volume was going in and out. The sound mix in general was awkward and unbalanced. Other niggles included framerate drops, jittering and stuck cameras, and even this low-frame ghosting effect for the litttle red wolf that runs past the screen when saving, like an old-school RM file. I cannot perform more than two or three hits when jiggling the remote continuously before it stops responding. Using the D-pad as a camera control was also a bummer. For what they said the Wii remote would bring to the brush element, my slashes were triggering less than half of the time, and the brush was oversensitive in most cases. Either the game or the nunchuk joystick is also making the game feel far looser than it should be when running around.

These perceived problems are really bugging me since I was hoping for a better, if not on par, experience to the PS2. Is it due to some idealized memory I have of the game that actually had these faults to begin with?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-19-2011, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwolf0 View Post

I cannot perform more than two or three hits when jiggling the remote continuously before it stops responding.

It's been a while since I played it (only the Wii version), but I seem to remember that the game wanted you to go slowly and more rhythmically to get longer combos of hits, rather than flicking the remote repeatedly.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #3 of 5 Old 02-19-2011, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hold Z when you're doing a slash. Or is it C? One of the nunchuk buttons. Makes a straight line easier.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #4 of 5 Old 02-25-2011, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
I've only played the Wii version after the PS2 version in the small town I was living was stolen. I loved it on the Wii, never had any issues with controls.

Chris Schempp
How to post links to Amazon.com Products.
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #5 of 5 Old 03-04-2011, 01:45 PM

Liked: 11
For what it's worth, I remember reading about that port when it first came out. Apparently the company that produced the game went out of business right after the game came out and the final release source code was lost. So the port team had to reconstruct a working version of the code and proceed from there.
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page