Pokemon Black and white question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-10-2011, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hm, haven't been to the Nintendo side here for a while. I'm surprised it seems to be so inactive. In any case, I have a question about the new Pokemon games that were just released. I have 2 girls I'd like to buy the game(s) for, but my question is (and I know nothing about these Pokemon things) should I buy one copy of Black and and one copy of White, or if they would like to play together, should I get both the same colour? This seems like a dumb question all of a sudden, but I'd hate to buy a copy of each only to find that they can't play with each other on their Dsi's.

Or, now that I think about it, can I buy just one copy of the game, and they can share the same game on 2 DS's? (Like Mario Kart.)

**Edit.
Ha, I thought the Nintendo board was inactive, as it showed only 5-6 threads when I got here. After I posted, all the rest of the threads popped up. Very strange.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2011, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 62
My understanding of Pokemon is proudly limited, but I believe how these games work is that Black and White are nearly identical, except each contains a few Pokemon exclusive to that version. Thus, to "catch 'em all," which certain unwillingly ingrained/insidiously catchy theme songs lead me to believe is the whole point, you'll need both versions to trade Pokemon between.

Oh, and you were right the first time--the Nintendo board IS quite inactive, but some of us still hang around.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

My understanding of Pokemon is proudly limited, but I believe how these games work is that Black and White are nearly identical, except each contains a few Pokemon exclusive to that version. Thus, to "catch 'em all," which certain unwillingly ingrained/insidiously catchy theme songs lead me to believe is the whole point, you'll need both versions to trade Pokemon between.

Ha, I'm proudly limited in my understanding of Pokemon with ya. Then again, I find something strangely compelling about the whole thing. But not compelling enough for me to dive in myself. That's what my kids are for.

So, in your limited knowledge of the sport, both versions is the way to go for my two girls. Any guesses on whether or not they can share one game, on 2 DSi's? Damn it, how do you write out the plural of DSi? I think I need a nap.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kess View Post

So, in your limited knowledge of the sport, both versions is the way to go for my two girls. Any guesses on whether or not they can share one game, on 2 DSi's? Damn it, how do you write out the plural of DSi? I think I need a nap.

Sharing isn't possible as Pokemon B/W only supports one save game per cartridge. Buy a black and a white version and you'll have an optimal pokemon training environment.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappes View Post

Sharing isn't possible as Pokemon B/W only supports one save game per cartridge. Buy a black and a white version and you'll have an optimal pokemon training environment.

Thanks, Zappes. That's what I'm going to do.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Yes, buy one copy of each. The Pokemon available in the world vary between each game, and also they vary in location. So even early on in the game, your girls will likely run in to different Pokemon that they can then catch and trade with each other. Later, you can even trade Pokemon between different series of games, so you can pick up a copy of Pokemon Pearl and Diamond and bring those monsters forward to Black and White, for example.

Those of you proud to be missing out on Pokemon - Why? The titles are fantastic. The stories are always fun little pun-filled things. The battle mechanics are fantastic, being closely based on the classic rock-paper-scissor formula that RTS games have depended on for years, but roughly 10x more complex than your regular RTS system. In short: great games. Pokemon Red is how I spent most of my time in college.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

Yes, buy one copy of each. The Pokemon available in the world vary between each game, and also they vary in location. So even early on in the game, your girls will likely run in to different Pokemon that they can then catch and trade with each other. Later, you can even trade Pokemon between different series of games, so you can pick up a copy of Pokemon Pearl and Diamond and bring those monsters forward to Black and White, for example.

Those of you proud to be missing out on Pokemon - Why? The titles are fantastic. The stories are always fun little pun-filled things. The battle mechanics are fantastic, being closely based on the classic rock-paper-scissor formula that RTS games have depended on for years, but roughly 10x more complex than your regular RTS system. In short: great games. Pokemon Red is how I spent most of my time in college.

Thanks for the help. I'm gonna pick up my girls each a copy. I have an unopened Epic Mickey special edition box I'll probably bring to EB Games for a trade in. Just haven't been able to crack the wrapper on that one. (Got it as a gift.)

As for Pokemon, I would say it's been less about me avoiding it, and more about me being afraid of it. It's like a whole world onto itself, and I'm not sure once I got there, I'd be able to get back. Ha. I have no problem if my kids get lost there, though. It's cheaper than a babysitter.