AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post
According to research from Digital Entertainment Group:

I'll say it again....why in 2011 does a game console HAVE to play DVDs as well? While my 99.99999% was a silly exaggeration, the DEG data does appear to partially back said exaggeration up.
Jwebb: There is a very spirited debate going on about this very subject over on the XBox Area of this forum titled "Microsoft Fires The First Shot In Next Generation Consoles".

Reasons given over there ranged from:
1. DVD is cheap and getting cheaper...and will be dirt cheap in 2013-2025
2. There is a lot of room available for inexpensive Red and Blu laser storage enhancement
3. Alternative storage media like USB and flash storage drives are too expensive right now
4. DD only is out of the question due to bandwidth, coverage and preference limitations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 177 Old 06-17-2011, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

If we are stuck with just one controller, then at least put some real thumbsticks on the thing, instead of those wack circle pad type thumb nubs. I've listened to many e3 podcasts with guests complaining about the "circle pads". They basically said they wouldn't ever want to play a first person shooter using those circle pads. They were hoping they could use a Wii classic controller instead.

I've seen this mentioned on here a few times, but I don't understand why it's such a big deal. Did they mention why they wouldn't like the circle pads for FPS?

If it's because aiming would be more difficult, I would think the FPS games for Wii-U would incorporate point-and-shoot, ala Resident Evil 4 for the Wii. This could be done with the tablet controller (which would actually be a bit awkward), or the wiimote-nunchuk combo.

I happen to like the circle pads, if they're like the ones on the 3DS. They feel very natural to me.
post #153 of 177 Old 06-17-2011, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtiebird View Post

I've seen this mentioned on here a few times, but I don't understand why it's such a big deal. Did they mention why they wouldn't like the circle pads for FPS?

If it's because aiming would be more difficult, I would think the FPS games for Wii-U would incorporate point-and-shoot, ala Resident Evil 4 for the Wii. This could be done with the tablet controller (which would actually be a bit awkward), or the wiimote-nunchuk combo.

I happen to like the circle pads, if they're like the ones on the 3DS. They feel very natural to me.

the reason it is a big deal is because FPS rule the world and they are easiest played with analog sticks..
post #154 of 177 Old 06-17-2011, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

i will partly agree with you... ..couple of things
1. there are 310 million people in the US
2. the wii is not a US only product

look all i am saying is that for some people it is a "deciding" point for them, also the other things with those figures that are deceiving is the fact that they might have a DVD player in the living room (so they fall into that 90 million), but they have a kid that they want to buy a console for that also plays DVD's so that way they can play the kiddie/tween dvd's in their room and not hog the TV in the living room, not sure if you have kids, but this is a very real factor for a lot of people..... just because someone owns one dvd player doesn't mean that it eliminates the need for another dvd player..

I have kids - the youngest has a $20 DVD player from Target, the other currently uses the old Toshiba HDDVD player that was once part of our living room theater system.

Nintendo's decision to not allow DVD playback on Wii was strictly from a financial aspect. The royalties due to the DVD Forum on any DVD playing device would have led to an increased retail price. Sure, the increase may be miniscule....but it is still an increase. Such is the concern of the Ninty number crunching dept.

Ninty wanted Wii to launch @ the lowest profitable price. Adding DVD playback, while not requiring any additional circuitry/parts, would see the cost passed on to the consumer.

You really need to get a kid a DVD player for their bedroom? WalMart has 'em piled up on shelves for $10-$20 these days. And cheap BD players for way under a c-note.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #155 of 177 Old 06-17-2011, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

I have kids - the youngest has a $20 DVD player from Target, the other currently uses the old Toshiba HDDVD player that was once part of our living room theater system.

Nintendo's decision to not allow DVD playback on Wii was strictly from a financial aspect. The royalties due to the DVD Forum on any DVD playing device would have led to an increased retail price. Sure, the increase may be miniscule....but it is still an increase. Such is the concern of the Ninty numer crunching dept.

Ninty wanted Wii to launch @ the lowest profitable price. Adding DVD playback, while not requiring any additional circuitry/parts, would see the cost passed on to the consumer.

You really need to get a kid a DVD player for their bedroom? WalMart has 'em piled up on shelves for $10-$20 these days. And cheap BD players for way under a c-note.

once again i don't fully disagree with you, i am just giving you the other perspective on why some people might want it...
post #156 of 177 Old 06-17-2011, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Adding DVD playback is pointless. My 360 has DVD playback and I've never once used it. Everyone already has a DVD player.

And its not like lack of DVD video support hurt the Wii sales any.
post #157 of 177 Old 06-17-2011, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:

the reason it is a big deal is because FPS rule the world and they are easiest played with analog sticks..

On a console, that is.
post #158 of 177 Old 06-23-2011, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
http://wii.ign.com/articles/117/1178120p1.html

Stoked to hear that now Valve has at least some fleeting interest in WiiU as a future platform to support.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #159 of 177 Old 06-29-2011, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:

once again i don't fully disagree with you, i am just giving you the other perspective on why some people might want it...

I understand why you think they should have it but in reality, If people can afford a $300 or more console for a kids room they can afford a >$20 DVD player. Would it be nice to have? Sure, why not have another DVD player just in case. But in reality I have at least 9 DVD players in my house. I don't even have 9 rooms in my house!

The one instance DVD playing ability could be very useful is if you wanted to bring Wii U to a grandparents house and they didn't have a DVD player. Would be nice to kill two birds with one stone, but I am sure circumstances like this don't come up often. Plus you could always run to the store and pick up a dirt cheap DVD player.

It wasn't a big deal for the Wii and it certainly is less of an issue years later.

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

post #160 of 177 Old 06-29-2011, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Concur with Mbyrnes, DVD is such a common device in the home now, the lack of DVD drive in the WIIU is really irrelevant. I've got about 5 dvd playing devices in my house and I only use like 1/2 of them with any consistency. I haven't popped a DVD in my 360 in ages. YMMV of course, but it's really a non-factor nowadays.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #161 of 177 Old 06-29-2011, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

If it could stream DVD video to the controller (And Blu-Ray, as that's believed to be the basis for the technology Nintendo is using for WiiU disc), I'd of liked to have seen it (Mostly for the novelty value, I suppose, since I don't see a circumstance where I'd actually be taking advantage of that frequently).

But I imagine the DVD Forum and Blu-Ray Disc Association rules prohibit such things. You can't do it when using remote play with a PSP and PS3, for instance.

But your points stand, dedicated players are cheap, most of us already have tons of devices in our households that play DVD's, and there's no sense wearing out an expensive gaming console to do something a cheaper dedicated player can handle just fine.
post #162 of 177 Old 06-30-2011, 02:01 AM

Liked: 93
"there's no sense wearing out an expensive gaming console to do something a cheaper dedicated player can handle just fine."

There is a lot to be said for simplicity of your installation. In example, I have now dropped down to zero DVD players throughout the house. My 360 in the bedroom plays DVDs, and the PS3 and 360 in the living room play DVDs. I'm not saying that I need DVD playback on a Wii U, but I can see how it would be very nice for those that want to only have a single device hooked up, as I do in my bedroom. Cost isn't the issue. I don't care if I burn out a $300 device doing the job of a $20 device. I can buy another one if I break it. I just don't want so much crap hooked up to my display/audio.
post #163 of 177 Old 06-30-2011, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

Cost isn't the issue. I don't care if I burn out a $300 device doing the job of a $20 device. I can buy another one if I break it.

Just so I'm understanding you clearly, you're saying that you'd sooner burn out your $300 WiiU overusing the DVD drive for games and movies, rather than buying a $20 DVD player? And once it's burnt out, you have no issues buying another $300 WiiU before you buy that $20 DVD player? And the reason for that is to save space on your A/V rack? Just making sure I read that correctly.

post #164 of 177 Old 06-30-2011, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

Just so I'm understanding you clearly, you're saying that you'd sooner burn out your $300 WiiU overusing the DVD drive for games and movies, rather than buying a $20 DVD player? And once it's burnt out, you have no issues buying another $300 WiiU before you buy that $20 DVD player? And the reason for that is to save space on your A/V rack? Just making sure I read that correctly.

I didn't interpret darklordjames comment that way. I read it to mean...he prefers multi-platform consoles in each setup...which can do a lot of things like Games, DVD, Internet interaction, streaming, Digital Download and perhaps other uses. And he likes that kind of flexibility much better over a single use cheaper...DVD only player. And he is willing to pay more to get it. Everyone has different tastes and preferences. I understand his position and your more budget conscious approach. They are both valid. I say to each his own choices.
post #165 of 177 Old 06-30-2011, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post

Everyone has different tastes and preferences. I understand his position and your more budget conscious approach. They are both valid. I say to each his own choices.

I wasn't attacking his position in any way. I was merely trying to get some clarification if what I wrote above.... is his position. The manner he chooses to spend his money is completely his choice, and I'm not trying to invalidate it in any way.

post #166 of 177 Old 06-30-2011, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

I wasn't attacking his position in any way. I was merely trying to get some clarification if what I wrote above.... is his position. The manner he chooses to spend his money is completely his choice, and I'm not here to judge it.

I didn't mean you were attacking him Dragon. Nor was I defending an attack. I actually see both points of view as very legit. I was acknowledging both points of view as very credible IMO...and they are based upon what a person's interests and priorities are. That's all. Your query for clarity actually made me look at this in more detail.
post #167 of 177 Old 06-30-2011, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post

I didn't mean you were attacking him Dragon. Nor was I defending an attack. I actually see both points of view as very legit. I was acknowledging both points of view as very credible IMO...and they are based upon what a person's interests and priorities are. That's all. Your query for clarity actually made me look at this in more detail.

I wasn't really saying that you were accusing me of attacking him. I just wanted to clarify for all concerned.... that I wasn't.

post #168 of 177 Old 06-30-2011, 01:18 PM

"Just so I'm understanding you clearly, you're saying that you'd sooner burn out your $300 WiiU overusing the DVD drive for games and movies, rather than buying a $20 DVD player? And once it's burnt out, you have no issues buying another $300 WiiU before you buy that $20 DVD player? And the reason for that is to save space on your A/V rack? Just making sure I read that correctly."

Absolutely. Take my bedroom setup for example. It use to be complicated with a DVD player, Xbox running XBMC, Gamecube, Dreamcast, a receiver, 5.1 speaker setup, on my old 27" CRT. Then my livingroom 360 red-ringed, causing me go grab a new 360 Arcade to replace it while out for repair. Once the repaired 360 came back, I decided to redo the bedroom setup. I gutted everything, put in a 32" Panasonic LCD, hooked up the 360 with a new HDD and called it good. The 360 mostly gets used for streaming Netflix and Hulu, plus a bit of gaming in that room for when the girl wants the big TV for whatever game she has gotten in to. It's played a DVD maybe a dozen times since it has lived in the bedroom. I would hate to have a separate DVD player in there to play a disc maybe 15 times over it's life, especially when the 360 sitting right next to it plays DVDs just fine.

My livingroom is a similar story, though it retained more complicated stuff. Instead of the ~15 devices that it used to run, I gutted it to contain my 50" plasma, receiver and 5.1 speakers, 360, Wii, and PS3. There is no separate Bluray player as the PS3 does that just fine after adding the Harmony adapter to it. I can play a DVD in either of the big consoles, which happens maybe once a month. Netflix and Hulu Plus on the 360 are better DVRs than any of my physical DVRs ever were. And with proper PC server software and sticking to some specific formats, the PS3 serves as a decent media streamer, mostly replacing my XBMC Xbox.

Of course, I run everything on Harmonys to simplify everything for my girl when she picks up a remote in either room.

So yes, I would absolutely replace any of my $150-$300 media devices with a second of the same thing if I broke it by playing too many discs, rather than add complication with a cheap $20 player. Hell, I couldn't wait the 13 days for my 360 to come back from service, before buying a new one on day two.

ADDITIONAL: To clarify, the issue is not rack space. The issue is simplicity.
post #169 of 177 Old 06-30-2011, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Different strokes, Darklord, is all I can say. I suspect Nintendo plays more to the common denominator than to people with slightly more 'advanced' A/V tendencies like yourself, and perhaps others on the forum. Perhaps that's why Nintendo refuses to put a DVD drive in their machines, for the cost factor( minimal I'd imagine, but a cost regardless) and they probably figure everyone has a DVD player(s) in the home. I've got absolutely zero need for DVD playback in the WiiU, but my mileage obviously differs from yours.

post #170 of 177 Old 06-30-2011, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
It's nice to have an all in one system. Since I bought my PS3 I haven't used my DVD player. It might use more power, but it's convenient. The HDMI-CEC is halfway decent, so I can play pause and pick out menus with the TV remote. Having one less appliance in your living room is a good thing to me.

If Nintendo wanted to sell a lower-priced console with fewer features a la Xbox arcade, it would make sense to me. There are only seventeen different DS models, I don't see why they cant do the same with Wii 2.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #171 of 177 Old 09-16-2011, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Nintendo can't get it to work?

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming...o-work-1020531

Pushed back to a year from now?

As with all such reports, a bit of skepticism is needed, but if there's smoke here, could there be fire?

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
post #172 of 177 Old 09-16-2011, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Uhh, it was always coming out next year

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #173 of 177 Old 09-16-2011, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Pretty poor article, if you ask me.

What's this nonsense about the system being less than a year away from its scheduled release date? When did Nintendo pinpoint a release date prior to September 16 of next year?

If they can't even get a little fact like that right, what does it say for the rest of their write up? All Nintendo said is that it wasn't coming in fiscal year of 2012 and that it will be released in the 2012 calendar year.

So that gives us a release window from May 1st 2012 to December 31st 2012. We very well are still over a year away from release.

I'm sure Nintendo, if they actually are experiencing any issues, will be able to straighten it out soon enough and meet their internal date they've set for release.
post #174 of 177 Old 09-16-2011, 03:08 PM

That article is a poorly written piece of crap. Shame on you for bringing it to us and presenting it as something worth looking at, filecat.

This right here?

"Nintendo is said to be having problems sending information wirelessly from the tablet-like controller to the console and is currently having to use a tethered connection."

Yeah, this is some retarded as all hell reporting. So the dev consoles currently use a wired controller? Oh noes! End of the world!!!1

Yes, dev units are obviously the exact same thing as released hardware. That's why the Xbox 360 sitting in my living room is in a giant aluminum case, cost $3000, and has an Apple logo on it. Right?
post #175 of 177 Old 09-16-2011, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Uh, I knew that. Of course it's bollocks. Ever seen sarcasm? Guess not.

Shame indeed.

post #176 of 177 Old 09-16-2011, 09:41 PM

I'm fairly certain that you don't understand what the word "sarcasm" actually means. Thankfully, we have wikis now! Might I suggest googling up "sarcasm wiki" and reading up on the subject?
post #177 of 177 Old 09-16-2011, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post

Nintendo can't get it to work?

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming...o-work-1020531

Pushed back to a year from now?

As with all such reports, a bit of skepticism is needed, but if there's smoke here, could there be fire?

I suppose if I would have written:

Oh no! Nintendo can't get it to work?

Oh my, pushed back to a year from now?

As with all such idiotic reports, a bit of skepticism is needed, but if there's smoke could there be fire? (Nope, lack of oxygen.)

Maybe that would have helped. In any event:

sarcasm: a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, or ironic language that is usually directed against an individual (in this case the author)

as differentiated from

condescension: patronizing attitude or behavior

I missed with my poor sarcasm with at least three of you, but I bet everyone gets your condescension. Good job. (sarcasm)

Okay, now I promise to drop it, and if need be you can have the last word, regardless of its content. I won't be responding.

Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page