Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 174 Old 06-07-2011, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddUGA View Post

So there is a new console? I'm completely confused.

Yes.

But they wanted to focus on the controller. (A controller too complicated for the general Wii'ers IMO).

Is it WiFi? BT? Some propitiatory streaming? How heavy is it? Looks kinda bulky to me when the woman was holding it....

So many questions. Maybe that's what they intended?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 174 Old 06-07-2011, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddUGA View Post

So there is a new console? I'm completely confused.

Yeah. It is a new console and a new controller to be used with the new console.
post #93 of 174 Old 06-07-2011, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVEN56706 View Post

PSv was nice but doesnt win it for PS... they all get c+ to me...

This has to be one of the most lackluster e3's in recent memory, and considering a new home console was shown (kinda), that's pretty depressing. Really, if you sit back and think about what was shown at the various e3 conferences, it was very underwhelming. What big, new, huge game that we never knew existed was revealed?

You know it's pretty depressing when the most exciting thing for me was a new Sly Cooper game, lol.
post #94 of 174 Old 06-07-2011, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

Even though I could not have any less interest in Darksiders, Ninja Gaiden, or 80% of EA games, the focus on them here was the right call. We KNOW all the usual Nintendo stuff will be coming, but gamers and devs need to know this new system is going to have lots of third-party support too. For the same reason I wish they would've addressed their other big weakness, online play.

I'm still iffy on how comfortable it will be to use that controller for long periods (I'm reminded of when I tried to play Smash Bros Melee with the Gamecube Keyboard Controller, just to be stupid), but Nintendo usually nails ergonomics so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on that.

The fact that 3rd parties seem to have been brought into the fold in a big way (compared to Ninty's previous track record, at least), makes me think the "core" gamer & online requirements may have been taken more seriously this time out.

According to IGN coverage, all previous Wii accessories will be BW-compatible. What I am wondering is how this may relate to something like Rock Band - less so the plastic instruments working (think that is a logical conclusion) but more so previous DLC. If WiiShop content can be moved to Wi U, how 'bout said content that came from 3rd parties?

As to your ergonomics thought, Mongo - true that Ninty usually nails this....and it could be that the final build of this new controller could be streamlined even more.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #95 of 174 Old 06-07-2011, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Specs link!!!!

http://pubvo.com/wp-content/uploads/...rcspec13iu.jpg

Pretty damn impressive I think.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Carl Sagan (1980)

post #96 of 174 Old 06-07-2011, 10:44 AM

Liked: 19
All the people thinking the new contoller is great. Yes put that in the hands of child and see how great they think it is. Can they even hold it let alone use it? Oh and how much is a 2nd one going to cost? Who has just ONE controller? Sorry like the Wii another stupid idea form Nintendo. How about making a NORMAL gaming system for EVERYONE? Making a NICHE system is not gaming for EVERYONE.
post #97 of 174 Old 06-07-2011, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblank74 View Post

Specs link!!!!

Looks great spec wise! Hard drive? I'm kind of surprised to see that from Nintendo. Why didn't they promote this?

post #98 of 174 Old 06-07-2011, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Specs link!!!!

So, it is using BD media, albeit "special discs" & surely no BD playback. But both GCN & Wii discs can be used as well.

An actual hard drive - looks to be coming in 250gb & 320gb iterations? "Additional" storage via SD/SDHC - the "up to 64gb" seems to tell us that Wii U has 2 SD slots, I assume? SD slots also lend potential creedence to previous WiiShop stuff being playable on Wii U (let's hope I can use those hundreds of RB tracks!!!!)

Component AND HDMI HD outputs!! Nice move, Ninty! No word on audio support outside of the obvious HDMI digital....an additional optical out, maybe? Or will non-HDMI-ers be stuck w/ 2 ch analog/Dolby PLII-type output?

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #99 of 174 Old 06-07-2011, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

All the people thinking the new contoller is great. Yes put that in the hands of child and see how great they think it is. Can they even hold it let alone use it? Oh and how much is a 2nd one going to cost? Who has just ONE controller? Sorry like the Wii another stupid idea form Nintendo. How about making a NORMAL gaming system for EVERYONE? Making a NICHE system is not gaming for EVERYONE.

What's stupid about it? It's an HD system that looks as though will have games for everyone, does HD, has Blu-Ray, a controller with some real potential....

The Wii was not a good system, I didn't like the one we had for sure, but this seems to me to be a system with real potential.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Carl Sagan (1980)

post #100 of 174 Old 06-07-2011, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

All the people thinking the new contoller is great. Yes put that in the hands of child and see how great they think it is. Can they even hold it let alone use it?

Uh, have you seen a kid in the last five years? My 4-year-old nephew is better at iPad games like Angry Birds and Plants vs Zombies than I am.

Also explain how the #1 home console worldwide is "niche."
post #101 of 174 Old 06-07-2011, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

So, it is using BD media, albeit "special discs" & surely no BD playback. But both GCN & Wii discs can be used as well.

An actual hard drive - looks to be coming in 250gb & 320gb iterations? "Additinal" storage via SD/SDHC - the "up to 64gb" seems to tell us that Wii U has 2 SD slots, I assume? SD slots also lend potential creedence to previous WiiShop stuff being playable on Wii U (let's hope I can use those hundreds of RB tracks!!!!)

Still might have playback for BD....we can hope.

Carl Sagan (1980)

post #102 of 174 Old 06-07-2011, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

Even though I could not have any less interest in Darksiders, Ninja Gaiden, or 80% of EA games, the focus on them here was the right call. We KNOW all the usual Nintendo stuff will be coming, but gamers and devs need to know this new system is going to have lots of third-party support too. For the same reason I wish they would've addressed their other big weakness, online play.

I'm still iffy on how comfortable it will be to use that controller for long periods (I'm reminded of when I tried to play Smash Bros Melee with the Gamecube Keyboard Controller, just to be stupid), but Nintendo usually nails ergonomics so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on that.

also known as the most awesome controller in the history of evar!

I don't think this controller will be something my wife would want to use... and that's fine, but isn't the 'everyone' party they alluded to in the Iwata portion of the show. It does look a bit uncomfortable at first glance, I'm not sure how level it will sit with the trigger lip on the back. I'll hold judgement, but there's not any 'good' info to talk about right now.

Also, Reggie just said on G4 that WiiU IS 1080p. But they're not saying a lot of positive stuff right now...
post #103 of 174 Old 06-07-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:

What's stupid about it? It's an HD system that looks as though will have games for everyone, does HD, has Blu-Ray, a controller with some real potential....

Doesn't look like it's fun to use for me. Also as I said you think a 7 year old can hold and use that thing? It's supposed to be a system for EVERYONE. I assume that means children too. Also most household will need TWO contollers. How much is a 2nd one. Got to be at least $150.
post #104 of 174 Old 06-07-2011, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Shouldn't be worse that the current Wii uDraw tablet, which both of my kids (8 & 4 yrs respectively) have no issue getting their mini mitts around.

post #105 of 174 Old 06-07-2011, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:

So no mention of specs or blu-ray playback?

I read that it uses a proprietary disc that is the same size as the current wii disc... so I doubt it (I can't imagining the capacity being very high if true).

Edit: I see that someone has provided a link that the media is indeed BD.

The only reason I skipped out on the Wii was the lack of HD, but right now I'm having a hard time thinking of any Nintendo exclusive that I'm really missing out on other than Zelda. I love new hardware, but I don't think I can justify a new console for one game franchise. Hopefully there will be a lot of exciting first party announcements from now until launch.

The controller is pretty cool but looks like it will be pretty expensive.
post #106 of 174 Old 06-07-2011, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It seems to me that the screen controller would be more like being "IT" when playing tag. Which is neat for in room multiplayer.

But yes, you'd probably want more than one. I'm going to say at least $150 on that controller? I see the system coming in at $300-$400. But who knows.

post #107 of 174 Old 06-07-2011, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Still might have playback for BD....we can hope.

If not, lets see what homebrewers can hack together.....

post #108 of 174 Old 06-07-2011, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Doesn't look like it's fun to use for me. Also as I said you think a 7 year old can hold and use that thing? It's supposed to be a system for EVERYONE. I assume that means children too. Also most household will need TWO contollers. How much is a 2nd one. Got to be at least $150.

How heavy do you think it's really gonna be? Come on man, you're trying a bit too hard to be negative on this.

They aren't gonna make the controller weigh 3lbs or anything, I don't think it's gonna be as heavy as you're making it out to be.

Carl Sagan (1980)

post #109 of 174 Old 06-07-2011, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post

I read that it uses a proprietary disc that is the same size as the current wii disc... so I doubt it (I can't imagining the capacity being very high if true).

The only reason I skipped out on the Wii was the lack of HD, but right now I'm having a hard time thinking of any Nintendo exclusive that I'm really missing out on other than Zelda. I love new hardware, but I don't think I can justify a new console for one game franchise. Hopefully there will be a lot of exciting first party announcements from now until launch.

The controller is pretty cool but looks like it will be pretty expensive.

The spec sheet I posted says it uses "special" BD storage.

Carl Sagan (1980)

post #110 of 174 Old 06-07-2011, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I also think Wii Sports is what really sold back when the Wii first came out, not the Wii. They need a huge piece of anchor software again that will really get groups of people together playing this thing.

When I first got my Wii everyone came over and played it. Loved Wii Sports. 6 months later everyone had one. It spread like a virus because of Wii Sports. They need another experience like that. That will help people understand whatever this controller is.

post #111 of 174 Old 06-07-2011, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Spec info for anyone sitting firewalled...

Quote:

It is a combination of a more traditional interface—as previously reported, the New Controller has two analog sticks, one d-pad, four face buttons, two shoulder buttons and two triggers—and the tilting, turning and shaking motion controls that made the Wii a smash success.

The new controller also incorporates a large touchscreen interface, a front-facing camera, gyroscope, and microphone.

Nintendo offered the following loose technical specifications to Kotaku in a pre-briefing on Nintendo's New Console.
  • High definition display, up to 1080p resolution via HDMI output
  • 6.2" touchscreen on New Controller, running in non-HD resolution
  • Internal flash-based media storage, upgradeable via USB and SD carts
  • Games ship on proprietary iDensity discs of unspecified, but "large capacity"
  • Games will also be available as downloadable content
  • Console compatible with Wii games and devices
  • Release date between April 1, 2012 to December 31, 2012; or after the end of Nintendo's fiscal year

Info in pic form

post #112 of 174 Old 06-07-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:

Also explain how the #1 home console worldwide is "niche."

#1 doesn't mean crap jack. Millions of people bought the pet rock. Wii is NICHE because of the controller. There was no way to play the games without it. No option for using a NORMAL controller. I have no desire to be waving my arms around like an idiot trying to play a game. The controller was the BIGGEST disinsentive for me getting the thing. Looks like the same thing for the WiiU
post #113 of 174 Old 06-07-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:

How heavy do you think it's really gonna be? Come on man, you're trying a bit too hard to be negative on this.

They aren't gonna make the controller weigh 3lbs or anything, I don't think it's gonna be as heavy as you're making it out to be.

I'm not talking WEIGHT Einstien I'm talking SIZE.
post #114 of 174 Old 06-07-2011, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not talking WEIGHT Einstien I'm talking SIZE.

If you're going to discuss this like a jerk, then the conversation is over. I haven't been hateful to you, no reason to go there on me.

Anyway, considering you hold it with two hands, I don't see a problem with it. Every controller out there, even the Wiimote with nunchuks, is two handed.

Carl Sagan (1980)

post #115 of 174 Old 06-07-2011, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

#1 doesn't mean crap jack.

Uh, it means one thing: that it's not "niche." I don't think you know what words mean. That's like saying the iPod is a niche music player because you hate iTunes.
Quote:
There was no way to play the games without it. No option for using a NORMAL controller.

Classic Controller says hi.

And again, I have no idea how you think a child wouldn't be interested in a big shiny screen with buttons on the side of it. Seriously, have you met a child? Were you ever one? Kids take to the iPad like crack and Wii U is clearly a move in that direction.
post #116 of 174 Old 06-07-2011, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Uh, it means one thing: that it's not "niche." I don't think you know what words mean. That's like saying the iPod is a niche music player because you hate iTunes.
Classic Controller says hi.

And again, I have no idea how you think a child wouldn't be interested in a big shiny screen with buttons on the side of it. Seriously, have you met a child? Were you ever one? Kids take to the iPad like crack and Wii U is clearly a move in that direction.

I'd say it's niche when the controller prevents you, as a developer, from properly porting over your game.

post #117 of 174 Old 06-07-2011, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Reggie is on GT TV right now, says there's absolutely no upres to Wii games, they'll play but in 480i/p same as with your old Wii

Other highlights in the conversation:
  1. Won't commit to what internal devs are doing what projects
  2. Swears launch will have first party titles, can't discuss which ones
  3. Will NOT be blu-ray capable, no specifics on disc capacity
  4. The controller has to be within an unspecified range of the base, he mentioned that Wii remotes work further away than advertised but wouldn't say any more
  5. Seemed to indicate that there's a lot more to be talked about in the developer conferences later this week, but that price, exact timing and game launches will not be confirmed until a later date

I notice that no one has mentioned the GCN controller- I see no mention of extra controller ports on the console [/tear]
post #118 of 174 Old 06-07-2011, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalmieri1203 View Post

I'd say it's niche when the controller prevents you, as a developer, from properly porting over your game.

Really? Classic Controller. I don't think it was exactly the controller that was preventing the Wii from getting ports.
post #119 of 174 Old 06-07-2011, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen View Post

I notice that no one has mentioned the GCN controller- I see no mention of extra controller ports on the console

I noticed that too. Looks like it may not be backwards compatible with the GCN.

post #120 of 174 Old 06-07-2011, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 146
My pricing predictions:

Wii U system = $349.99 (the idea being that you can always lower to $299, but might as well start a wee-bit high)

Extra controller = $139.99 (eventually would discount down to the magical $99 price)

You know what's crazy, is that Nintendo could probably release a special Wii U Core system bundle. It wouldn't include the new controller with the screen, instead including a classic controller (or new improved Wii U version of the classic controller). The idea being that for the gamer that is more interested in playing the new Tomb Raider and the new Arkham City games, that they could just play it the normal way and not even worry about the fancy controller, and save some money. They could get the fancy controller later on. They could price it as low as $229.99 or maybe price it at $249.99 but include a pack-in game. They could make the pack-in game a more "core" type gamer game, like Darksiders 2 or something. They could call it "The Basic Gamer Pack".

ya dig?
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page