Nintendo E3 2011 - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #151 of 174 Old 06-07-2011, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mpalmieri1203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pleasant Valley, NY
Posts: 2,641
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post


And since I'ver never owned a Wii how would I accomplish this?

It will also be interesting how one uses a Wiimote that is designed for a 480i system to work on a 1080p game. I'm sure it will be very accurate.

Are you being sarcastic?? The resolution doesn't factor into it's function at all. I've used a wiimote on my pc via dolphin upscaling games to 1080p.

I get your hesitation but now you're just grasping for straws and being a....troll.

mpalmieri1203 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #152 of 174 Old 06-07-2011, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mpalmieri1203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pleasant Valley, NY
Posts: 2,641
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post


I said it and I stand but it. I would never let a child touch an ipad. Appearantly peole her are rich and can afford to buy new ones. Which is ironic since wii fanbois bought it because it was so much cheaper than the REAL next gen systems.

No, I work in a k-8 school and have seen them used at all levels. I started with 4....and I'm ending the year with all four unbroken and in fine shape. I'm not rich, just received a grant through donorschoose.org.

I think people bought wiis because they were/are fun systems with lots of great titles. The price is a bonus!

mpalmieri1203 is offline  
post #153 of 174 Old 06-07-2011, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Leo_Ames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

And since I'ver never owned a Wii how would I accomplish this?

It will also be interesting how one uses a Wiimote that is designed for a 480i system to work on a 1080p game. I'm sure it will be very accurate.

I thought it was quite clear what I was getting at. But since you want to be difficult, I'll explain it further.

Some fear that they're going to have to buy 3 of these hybrid traditional controllers/tablets that we all expect to be expensive for 4 player local multiplayer. But after what we saw today, those fears might very well be unfounded after finding out that it will support existing Wii controllers and with speculation that only 1 of these new controllers can be in use at one time (They didn't show anything where more than one was in use, instead using legacy Wii controllers for multiple players).

So if true, existing Wii owners can utilize their current controllers to fill out a multiplayer match and new WiiU owners can buy what will probably be far cheaper Wii controllers instead of having to go out and buy three more of these things. But of course that's just speculation so far, I haven't see any official confirmation that just one of these controllers can be utilized at one time on this system, so we might all be working under a false assumption here.

And like someone already said, the Wiimote could care less what the resolution of a game is. It looks at a seperate sensor bar placed under or above a television screen, not at the screen of your television.
Leo_Ames is online now  
post #154 of 174 Old 06-07-2011, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jblank74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bristol, Tennessee
Posts: 2,054
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

2014 release?

If that's so, that's a big problem for Nintendo... I was expecting late 2012 at the worst (So they can deal with "Next Gen" head on in 2015/16)

Take a look at the article again, Reggie says "a year away from release". All I ever heard was Q2 2012, so that fits perfectly. It will not take 3 years to bring this out....who said that?

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

 

Carl Sagan (1980)

jblank74 is offline  
post #155 of 174 Old 06-07-2011, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
filecat13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4,485
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

I said it and I stand but it. I would never let a child touch an ipad. Appearantly peole her are rich and can afford to buy new ones. Which is ironic since wii fanbois bought it because it was so much cheaper than the REAL next gen systems.

"by"
"iPad"
"apparently"
"people"
"here"
"Wii"

Using your logic, I would never let you touch a keyboard based on your performance with one.

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
filecat13 is online now  
post #156 of 174 Old 06-07-2011, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Anthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 5,953
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

with speculation that only 1 of these new controllers can be in use at one time (They didn't show anything where more than one was in use, instead using legacy Wii controllers for multiple players).


This is truly bizarre to me. Only one of these things will work on a Wii U at a time? But I thought the whole idea was that you could be playing Madden against your buddy, and you'd be able to call your plays on the touchscreen, so your buddy has no idea what play you called.

This bit of news reminds me when people first heard that the Kinect doesn't work while sitting down... it's like "wait a minute.... what?"
Anthony1 is offline  
post #157 of 174 Old 06-08-2011, 03:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mpalmieri1203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pleasant Valley, NY
Posts: 2,641
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post


This is truly bizarre to me. Only one of these things will work on a Wii U at a time? But I thought the whole idea was that you could be playing Madden against your buddy, and you'd be able to call your plays on the touchscreen, so your buddy has no idea what play you called.

This bit of news reminds me when people first heard that the Kinect doesn't work while sitting down... it's like "wait a minute.... what?"

No it will work with two. It's beyond that there seems to be question.

mpalmieri1203 is offline  
post #158 of 174 Old 06-08-2011, 04:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mpalmieri1203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pleasant Valley, NY
Posts: 2,641
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
...and the third party footage shown was all from a 360....lol

The Zelda footage still looks great.

mpalmieri1203 is offline  
post #159 of 174 Old 06-08-2011, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Leo_Ames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

This is truly bizarre to me. Only one of these things will work on a Wii U at a time? But I thought the whole idea was that you could be playing Madden against your buddy, and you'd be able to call your plays on the touchscreen, so your buddy has no idea what play you called.

This bit of news reminds me when people first heard that the Kinect doesn't work while sitting down... it's like "wait a minute.... what?"

Madden was purely speculation on our part as gamers and the media tried to theorize possible uses for this when the rumor first leaked out.

But don't forget that what we've said about just 1 in use is pure speculation on our part. Unlike what mpalmieri1203 said, we only ever saw 1 of these in use at a time with legacy Wii controllers rounding out the number of players. So we're making an assumption here that might very well end up being incorrect. Just because we didn't see multiple instances of this controller in use at the same time doesn't mean that capability isn't there.

They never said just 1 and they never said up to at least 2 (A number that I find even more questionable, if they're going to allow more than one of these to be in use, I would think they'd go all the way to four for full 4 person multiplayer gaming).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalmieri1203 View Post

...and the third party footage shown was all from a 360....lol

The Zelda footage still looks great.

Just to clarify since your statement that "the Zelda footage still looks great" seems to be implying that it too was running on a 360, I'm quite sure the 1st party demos shown off yesterday were running on Nintendo hardware. It's strictly the 3rd party software that was having generic footage shown off.

Having something like a Zelda title running on a Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 would be a public relations disaster.
Leo_Ames is online now  
post #160 of 174 Old 06-08-2011, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RAVEN56706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Jersey City, NJ, USA
Posts: 4,671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


nintendo admits its wii u highlight reel was spiced up with ps3 and xbox 360 footage

nintendo's e3 2011 keynote yesterday gave the world its first official look at the all-new wii u hardware plus (we thought) a glimpse at the graphical capabilities of its next console. As it turns out, the impressive list of upcoming games for the 2012-bound console was just that, a list, with the visuals we saw on screen coming from ps3 and xbox 360 versions of said titles. Nintendo of america chief reggie fils-aime has confirmed that to be the case in an interview with gametrailers, where he also points out that the eventual wii u games will look at least as good as their ps3 / 360 counterparts. Which is why, in his eyes, it's okay to show us those games being played on the competition's (current-gen) hardware. He does remind us that the wii u will be delivering graphics at a 1080p resolution, and points to the garden tech demo that also graced e3 as an indicator of what can be done with nintendo's next console.


right!

2011 SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS- New York Giants!!!

Gamertag: GENERAL CUPKAKE
RAVEN56706 is offline  
post #161 of 174 Old 06-08-2011, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mpalmieri1203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pleasant Valley, NY
Posts: 2,641
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post


Madden was purely speculation on our part as gamers and the media tried to theorize possible uses for this when the rumor first leaked out.

But don't forget that what we've said about just 1 in use is pure speculation on our part. Unlike what mpalmieri1203 said, we only ever saw 1 of these in use at a time with legacy Wii controllers rounding out the number of players. So we're making an assumption here that might very well end up being incorrect. Just because we didn't see multiple instances of this controller in use at the same time doesn't mean that capability isn't there.

They never said just 1 and they never said up to at least 2 (A number that I find even more questionable, if they're going to allow more than one of these to be in use, I would think they'd go all the way to four for full 4 person multiplayer gaming).

Just to clarify since your statement that "the Zelda footage still looks great" seems to be implying that it too was running on a 360, I'm quite sure the 1st party demos shown off yesterday were running on Nintendo hardware. It's strictly the 3rd party software that was having generic footage shown off.

Having something like a Zelda title running on a Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 would be a public relations disaster.

No I was stating it as I knew that it was running on their platform.

I think they should've waited on the unveiling until it had been more finalized.

mpalmieri1203 is offline  
post #162 of 174 Old 06-08-2011, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Monger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Meh. We've got a year to see what the hardware can really do.

They got the controller into peoples hands which was probably the most important thing they could do.
Monger is offline  
post #163 of 174 Old 06-08-2011, 10:27 AM
 
TyrantII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 10,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
TyrantII is offline  
post #164 of 174 Old 06-08-2011, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
voodoozen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

They never said just 1 and they never said up to at least 2 (A number that I find even more questionable, if they're going to allow more than one of these to be in use, I would think they'd go all the way to four for full 4 person multiplayer gaming).


Ain't gonna happen. 1 new controller is it, amigos. I'd put the chances of 2 touch screen controllers (let's call it "U" for short) working simultaneously at < 10%, and more? exactly 0%.

The horsepower to fully render 3+ screens at once would be astronomical in console form... it's not such a big deal when games only the U screen for an inventory, occasional input (like Udraw) or as the HUD, but that's doesn't seem to be the focus, basically *all of the Nintendo demos have you using the U as a second viewpoint. Since U's have no processing built in, that console is rendering everything for the main screen as well as the controller; doing that for 2 screens is taxing, 3 or more means exponentially more processing, heat, and more importantly, cost. Say you wanted to play CoD in 4-player local multiplayer... there's no way a console could handle a 4-way split screen and 4 U screens at the same time, it'd meltdown like Chernobyl... and at 12 FPS.

Ninty said yesterday that the console will be bundled with the U controller, and that the controller won't be sold separately. The official press release also mentioned that the console will support up to 4 Wiimotes (the video on their website actually shows a 5 player demo game) and all Wii controls, including the classic controller... which means for games you wanna do with 4 people using dual analogs (like Goldeneye), you'll need 1 U controller, 3 Wiimotes and 3 classic controllers. Basically, the Wiimote market isn't going to decline.

This really sounds like Cafe is a "giant DS" to me, one that also happens to allow for others to join in, but not with the full dual screen experience at the same time.

-vdz
voodoozen is offline  
post #165 of 174 Old 06-08-2011, 02:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Kurtiebird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen View Post

Ain't gonna happen. 1 new controller is it, amigos. I'd put the chances of 2 touch screen controllers (let's call it "U" for short) working simultaneously at < 10%, and more? exactly 0%.

The horsepower to fully render 3+ screens at once would be astronomical in console form... it's not such a big deal when games only the U screen for an inventory, occasional input (like Udraw) or as the HUD, but that's doesn't seem to be the focus, basically *all of the Nintendo demos have you using the U as a second viewpoint. Since U's have no processing built in, that console is rendering everything for the main screen as well as the controller; doing that for 2 screens is taxing, 3 or more means exponentially more processing, heat, and more importantly, cost. Say you wanted to play CoD in 4-player local multiplayer... there's no way a console could handle a 4-way split screen and 4 U screens at the same time, it'd meltdown like Chernobyl... and at 12 FPS.

Ninty said yesterday that the console will be bundled with the U controller, and that the controller won't be sold separately. The official press release also mentioned that the console will support up to 4 Wiimotes (the video on their website actually shows a 5 player demo game) and all Wii controls, including the classic controller... which means for games you wanna do with 4 people using dual analogs (like Goldeneye), you'll need 1 U controller, 3 Wiimotes and 3 classic controllers. Basically, the Wiimote market isn't going to decline.

This really sounds like Cafe is a "giant DS" to me, one that also happens to allow for others to join in, but not with the full dual screen experience at the same time.

-vdz

Gadzooks, VDZ, you hit it right on the head. I was just assuming you'd be able to use multiple tablet controllers with Wii-U, but I think you're exactly right.

Color me quite a bit less enthused. Wii was billed as the ultimate party console, but with only one tablet controller, the new system will be single player + helpers and onlookers. Playing as player 2-4 will be quite a bit less fun, kind of like being the "helper" in Super Mario Galaxy (maybe not quite as bad).

Don't get me wrong, playing as player one looks awesome, but I'm pretty disappointed because of what I was originally thinking.

Maybe they can change the name to Mii-Not-U.
Kurtiebird is offline  
post #166 of 174 Old 06-08-2011, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Leo_Ames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 199
While a Nintendo spokesperson indeed said that, they've also said the following.

We're considering our options with maybe two screens,' Eguchi told Kotaku, who said he considers multiple New Controller games to be an interesting idea.' That would mean games that used two new Wii U controllers. Eguchi's five-player prototype, here at E3, has one person using a new controller and four other people using Wii Remote-Nunchuck combos.

http://nintendoeverything.com/66623/
Leo_Ames is online now  
post #167 of 174 Old 06-08-2011, 08:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Kurtiebird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

While a Nintendo spokesperson indeed said that, they've also said the following.

We're considering our options with maybe two screens,' Eguchi told Kotaku, who said he considers multiple New Controller games to be an interesting idea.' That would mean games that used two new Wii U controllers. Eguchi's five-player prototype, here at E3, has one person using a new controller and four other people using Wii Remote-Nunchuck combos.

http://nintendoeverything.com/66623/

I hope they do this. Another consideration is, if they could implement decent online play, then you could have games that support a tablet for each player.
Kurtiebird is offline  
post #168 of 174 Old 06-08-2011, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Anthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 5,953
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post


We're considering our options with maybe two screens,' Eguchi told Kotaku, ]

Uh... that doesn't sound very promising, lol. Maybe?
Anthony1 is offline  
post #169 of 174 Old 06-09-2011, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ThisOneKidMongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 2,620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
It would seem insane not to let at least two tablets to be used per console, even if the picture on each tablet is of noticeably reduced image quality. Having each player's screen used as a personal GPS or to call football plays are just two no-brainer useful implementations that don't require high image fidelity, which they'd be missing out on if it's just one tablet per console...
ThisOneKidMongo is offline  
post #170 of 174 Old 06-09-2011, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
voodoozen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post
It would seem insane not to let at least two tablets to be used per console, even if the picture on each tablet is of noticeably reduced image quality. Having each player's screen used as a personal GPS or to call football plays are just two no-brainer useful implementations that don't require high image fidelity, which they'd be missing out on if it's just one tablet per console...
Miyamoto made some comments, doesn't confirm anything yet... typical N conservative "maybe"!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=20
voodoozen is offline  
post #171 of 174 Old 06-09-2011, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jhoff80's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,948
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I'd like to see it too, but I'm with voodoozen, it'd be tough. I mean, as it is, consoles have enough trouble with one 720p display.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
jhoff80 is online now  
post #172 of 174 Old 06-09-2011, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mbyrnes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Media, PA (outside Philly)
Posts: 3,356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 147
It seems like they were planning on making the controller at a low price point. It isn't much different than a Dual Shock for the PS3, except the screen, stereo speakers, and camera of course. Is it possible that they could add a chip or two to the controller to take some of the work off of the Wii U console?

In all honesty I would probably be fine with just one controller (since I almost never use the extra controllers I buy). I did frequently use two Wii motes, but that is really the exception. But two Upads seems like a must. There is still a lot of time to change the specs to accommodate two IMO. Hopefully the developers have ideas that they can throw back to Nintendo to strongly suggest two simultaneously.

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

 

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

mbyrnes is online now  
post #173 of 174 Old 06-09-2011, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Anthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 5,953
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Nearly a month ago, when news of the 6 inch screen touch controller was first leaked, I immediately thought of 4 player Mario Kart, with each player having the new controller, and being able to play multiplayer with your own private screen, without even having the TV turned on. I don't know why, but it just never occured to me that this would cause too much strain on the hardware to pull it off.
Anthony1 is offline  
post #174 of 174 Old 06-09-2011, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Leo_Ames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Nearly a month ago, when news of the 6 inch screen touch controller was first leaked, I immediately thought of 4 player Mario Kart, with each player having the new controller, and being able to play multiplayer with your own private screen, without even having the TV turned on.

They already sell something that will be able to do that.

It's called a Nintendo 3DS and the Mario Kart entry for it looks to be of console quality for the first time. I thought the preview E3 footage for it especially looked great.
Leo_Ames is online now  
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off