Wii U - and there we are. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 06-07-2011, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16

Well, the presentation's done and we're still kind of in the dark. Nintendo is following the drips-and-drabs approach again, with giving 'feel' presentations and then slowly giving out the information second.

What we can deduce:

Funky Controller? Check.

HD graphics? Check.
'Core Gamer' games? Check.
BluRay or DVD? Unlikely, but unknown.
Wii Compatible? Almost certainly.
Gamecube backwards compatible? Unknown, but highly likely.
Wii U / 3DS connectivity? Check.

I know we'd gotten snippets of this being the real deal earlier, but I'm still surprised at how different this approach potentially could be. With the advent of Move, though...we'll now see much strong support for motion controls in all games that's consistent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 06-07-2011, 11:08 AM

Liked: 10
When you think about it, this was the only way for Nintendo to go. If they had just made a console that was HD, pushed 7.1 surround and can produce uber graphics with a standard controller, then what do they have to differentiate themselves from Sony and Microsoft? They would just be locked in another console race with systems that are all the same, specially now a days where exclusives seem to be rare.

It also, at least for me, seems to be like they are at least trying to compete with Apple. I mean the controller itself is a six inch tablet and has all the other features that would appeal to an Apple consumer. But now the system seems like it will be able to handle all those games that Microsoft and Sony seem to get from third parties.

Anyway, will have to see more. I am excited but I'm glad that I also own a 360, PS3 and 3DS.

PSN: soundofav8
X-Box Live: soundofav8
post #3 of 31 Old 06-07-2011, 02:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
No Blu-Ray has been confirmed. It will use Nintendo's own proprietary media storage.

I also am a bit skeptical. At the press conference, for 3rd party support they just showed PS3/360 footage. If it's about as powerful as a PS3/360 why would I want one? I already have both of those.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #4 of 31 Old 06-07-2011, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

No Blu-Ray has been confirmed. It will use Nintendo's own proprietary media storage.

I also am a bit skeptical. At the press conference, for 3rd party support they just showed PS3/360 footage. If it's about as powerful as a PS3/360 why would I want one? I already have both of those.

Perhaps another "new" way to play? Playing Madden 13, using the touch screen to thumb thru your playbook or draw out new receiver routes? Could happen.

Might be interesting to add a DS-style touch screen element to "core" games...and be enough to differentiate WiiU versions of multiplatform titles. Certainly a better way to be unique than waggle & last gen graphics.

I'm getting the feeling that Ninty at this point is infinitely less concerned w/ Sony/MS as being the competition. And is it coincidence that the WiiU controller seems to be tailor made for iOs-style game play? It seems from early info, WiiU still has the casual side of Wii in place, but has the horsepower & (hopeful) online implementation to take Mario & Co into the truly next level. We'll see.....but I think, if nothing else, they have a very intriguing product coming our way.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #5 of 31 Old 06-07-2011, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:

What I read was that Nintendo was utilizing Blu-Ray technology (Much like how they utilized DVD technology with the GameCube and Wii) but likely won't be paying the Blu-Ray Disc Association to enable video playback.

Officially, the GameCube and Wii used "propretary" media as well, although they licensed the necessary DVD related patents they required for both systems and the Wii was even easily able to play DVD video when hacked.
post #6 of 31 Old 06-07-2011, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
They will need to convince developers to make exclusive titles for the Wii U, otherwise owners will be stuck playing newer versions of Wii Sports and Carnival games. Of course they will still release a Zelda game every 5 years also.

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
post #7 of 31 Old 06-08-2011, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:

Originally posted by WizarDru:
'Core Gamer' games? Check.

I must have missed that part, what’s your definition of those? Is this just another platform for ports? If I want a tablet, I will buy one. I wanted a new game system. Their lack of specs is really concerning considering rumors of a Radeon 4000 graphics chip. No DX 11? The Zelda boring and had nothing to do with a game, it was a Nvidia or ATI tech demo. I find it funny how everybody mocked the size of the Duke Xbox controller, yet this on is perfectly acceptable. I really hope the come out with a relevant use for it. Right now it's just a gimmick to me. What’s the sense of HD if you are going to transfer to a 6” screen? Also, speaking of no specs, what’s the resolution of that screen?

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #8 of 31 Old 06-08-2011, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
First, let me say that I'm sure Nintendo will be very successful with this console from a business standpoint and fans of the big N will be very happy with the first party titles released for this system.

I watched the Nintendo press conference live and they seemed to make a big point of trying to convince people like me, the (hard)core gamer, that this would indeed be a system for me. But after watching their presentation I just don't see it. Now, that new controller may open up avenues of innovation in game play that make me reconsider, but I suspect that it will largely be limited to first party titles.

Reggie Fils-Aime has stated that games on this machine should look "at least as good" as games on the PS3 and XBox 360, meaning that the power of the hardware is more comparable to those machines than any next gen console either Microsoft or Sony would release. That means that for a period of time all three companies will be competing on a level playing field and the Wii U should see fairly decent third party support. But once MS and Sony drop next gen hardware, Nintendo will once again find itself in the position of having vastly underpowered hardware compared to MS and Sony.

That's important because right now, every game developed for the Wii is, by necessity, an exclusive version of the game because it cannot be ported from the PS3/X360 versions. This scenario will repeat itself int the next generation, meaning that third party support will likely dry up fairly soon after the console is launched. That would fit with Nintendo's historic lack of third party support and poor sales of third party software.

If you're a Nintendo fan, then you'll buy the console for the first party titles. I have been doing without them for half a decade now and I don't really miss them, and this console doesn't really seem to give me a reason to change that position, at least not as this point. I'm hopeful that as the launch grows closer Nintendo can give me a reason to change my mind.

"Experience is the one thing you can't get for nothing." - Oscar Wilde
post #9 of 31 Old 06-08-2011, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Just watching the demo's of people using the new controller make my hands cramp up. They better have an alternative to that big ass thing. If they have announced something and I haven't heard, I have no problem eating my own words here!

Gamertag: Fargus
Playstation ID: Fargus79
post #10 of 31 Old 06-08-2011, 03:32 PM

Here's a up close video of the console, it's ports, connectors, etc

http://kotaku.com/5810084/this-is-th...+stained-hands
post #11 of 31 Old 06-08-2011, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 63
The controller looked awesome. Something like a cross between a galaxy tab and a Wii classic controller. Then I read it was resistive not capacitive....

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #12 of 31 Old 06-08-2011, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Lack of GameCube compatibility confirmed, btw. Can't say I'm surprised. It isn't very Nintendo to eat additional hardware costs (however small) if only a fraction of the audience would take advantage. Also, it opens up the possibility of GC games on the Virtual Console. Or HD remakes...
post #13 of 31 Old 06-08-2011, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

A hd remake of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess would be nice (And Skyward Sword eventually if it doesn't make it's way to the lineup as a launch game next year).
post #14 of 31 Old 06-08-2011, 08:20 PM

I have read some reports that stated that even though the controller looks difficult to hold, it's actually not that heavy and easy to handle while playing the demos.

I can tell you though, we should be seeing a 360 U and PS3 U in a couple of years, it happened with motion controls and it happened with portable touch screens. lols

PSN: soundofav8
X-Box Live: soundofav8
post #15 of 31 Old 06-08-2011, 10:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Max View Post

First, let me say that I'm sure Nintendo will be very successful with this console from a business standpoint and fans of the big N will be very happy with the first party titles released for this system.

I watched the Nintendo press conference live and they seemed to make a big point of trying to convince people like me, the (hard)core gamer, that this would indeed be a system for me. But after watching their presentation I just don't see it. Now, that new controller may open up avenues of innovation in game play that make me reconsider, but I suspect that it will largely be limited to first party titles.

Reggie Fils-Aime has stated that games on this machine should look "at least as good" as games on the PS3 and XBox 360, meaning that the power of the hardware is more comparable to those machines than any next gen console either Microsoft or Sony would release. That means that for a period of time all three companies will be competing on a level playing field and the Wii U should see fairly decent third party support. But once MS and Sony drop next gen hardware, Nintendo will once again find itself in the position of having vastly underpowered hardware compared to MS and Sony.

That's important because right now, every game developed for the Wii is, by necessity, an exclusive version of the game because it cannot be ported from the PS3/X360 versions. This scenario will repeat itself int the next generation, meaning that third party support will likely dry up fairly soon after the console is launched. That would fit with Nintendo's historic lack of third party support and poor sales of third party software.

If you're a Nintendo fan, then you'll buy the console for the first party titles. I have been doing without them for half a decade now and I don't really miss them, and this console doesn't really seem to give me a reason to change that position, at least not as this point. I'm hopeful that as the launch grows closer Nintendo can give me a reason to change my mind.

The big problem is that if the hardware is only about as good as 360/PS3, the fact it won't be out for at least 12-18mos pretty much makes it obsolete right there.

post #16 of 31 Old 06-08-2011, 10:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I'm surprised by the titles they're announcing, all the PS360 sequels.. but I'm not hearing much about online play, which I thought the whole Cafe name was pointing to.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #17 of 31 Old 06-09-2011, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by satinsilverstang View Post
I have read some reports that stated that even though the controller looks difficult to hold, it's actually not that heavy and easy to handle while playing the demos.

I can tell you though, we should be seeing a 360 U and PS3 U in a couple of years, it happened with motion controls and it happened with portable touch screens. lols

Oh yeah, PS3 will have it, I expect a PS3/Vita bundle sometime next year. I've been thinking all along that the 3DS will be linked in somehow, and Ninty has alluded to that this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiggy Miyamoto
Q: Will players use two touchscreen controllers or will they use just one new controller and the original Wii controls with the new console?
Our basic premise is that you can use one with a system. If we got to an idea of having multiple (controllers) it might be just more convenient for people to use their Nintendo 3DS and have a way to connect that.
That being said, we are doing research about if someone brings their controller to their friends house and they want to play together on Wii U to whether or not something like that would be possible.
His comment also adds some (albeit not much) hope that 2 controllers at once will be possible. But still, it's not like you'll be able to buy a second one, and unless they get some strong 3DS interaction confirmed soon this means almost no games implementing any features utilizing this... ala motion plus in Wii.
post #18 of 31 Old 06-09-2011, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
A hd remake of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess would be nice (And Skyward Sword eventually if it doesn't make it's way to the lineup as a launch game next year).
Most HD remakes I could give a rip about but HD Wind Waker I'd pick up in a heartbeat. Those graphics still hold up today, even in SD, and they look even more incredible in 1080p (just going by Dolphin screenshots I've seen). And okay, I wouldn't mind if they took out the Triforce hunt at the end and replaced it with the rumored two full dungeons they had to cut for time.

As for online play, Ubisoft said at their conference that the Wii U finally ditches friend codes in favor of a universal gamertag-type system. I'm hopeful, but I'm still taking this with a grain of salt until I hear it from Nintendo themselves.
post #19 of 31 Old 06-09-2011, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The big problem is that if the hardware is only about as good as 360/PS3, the fact it won't be out for at least 12-18mos pretty much makes it obsolete right there.
My question is, how much immediately, noticeably better can the next console generation really look than the current one? It's not like previous generations, where there was a huge leap, like from sprites to polygons, or SD to HD. The next gen's graphical increase will be far more incremental, and I have trouble believing it will capture the attention of anyone besides those people who post 360/PS3 screenshots of the same game side by side and scrutinize them for hours to see which looks better.
post #20 of 31 Old 06-09-2011, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post
My question is, how much immediately, noticeably better can the next console generation really look than the current one? It's not like previous generations, where there was a huge leap, like from sprites to polygons, or SD to HD. The next gen's graphical increase will be far more incremental, and I have trouble believing it will capture the attention of anyone besides those people who post 360/PS3 screenshots of the same game side by side and scrutinize them for hours to see which looks better.
Until game characters look like real people then there is much improvement to be made. Also what about 3D, 4K, etc?

post #21 of 31 Old 06-09-2011, 07:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepyourgameup View Post
Until games characters look like real people then there is much improvement to be made. Also what about 3D, 4K, etc?
Have you guys seen The Witcher 2 PC on high settings? That's pretty much cutting edge PC gaming right there.

post #22 of 31 Old 06-09-2011, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Have you guys seen The Witcher 2 PC on high settings? That's pretty much cutting edge PC gaming right there.

I have, and it's pretty for sure, makes me wonder how the 360 version will look. Having said that, it should look great on U if the specs we've seen all hold up... and it gets ported.

-vdz
post #23 of 31 Old 06-09-2011, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Until game characters look like real people then there is much improvement to be made. Also what about 3D, 4K, etc?

My opinion is that I don't want game characters to look like real people, outside of sports games.

And even if the technology is there, it's doubtful companies will want to put the work in. Is EA going to invest in LA Noire type face tech for Madden?
post #24 of 31 Old 06-09-2011, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

My opinion is that I don't want game characters to look like real people, outside of sports games.

And even if the technology is there, it's doubtful companies will want to put the work in. Is EA going to invest in LA Noire type face tech for Madden?

I just hope "virtual reality" is a reality in my lifetime. How cool would it be to plug into a simulated world like the Matrix.

post #25 of 31 Old 06-09-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
If it's 1080p, and has a decent graphics card, then Sony and Microsoft probably won't improve much on graphics. Unless they plan on putting a 6990 GPU, or 590 GPU in their systems and charge $1,000 for them...ha ha.
post #26 of 31 Old 06-09-2011, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo
This a joke...right?
post #27 of 31 Old 06-09-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post
This a joke...right?
How is it a joke? I upgraded from a Radeon HD 2600PRO to a 4670 and there was a huge difference. I then upgraded to a 5770, while there were improvements, not even close to the first upgrade. I now have a 6970, and there was an improvement, but not a drastic one. The improvements will be incremental, but not a "knock your socks off" type of improvement. I can tell you that my PC will kick the **** out of my PS3 as far as graphics are concerned. Since I game on a PC too, the next generation of consoles won't be impressive to me, as far as graphics are concerned. Consoles are trying really hard to be a PC, but fail miserably at it.

It was like going from VHS to DVD was a huge difference, and going to Blu-ray was a big improvement, but nowhere near as drastic as VHS to DVD.
post #28 of 31 Old 06-10-2011, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

I just hope "virtual reality" is a reality in my lifetime. How cool would it be to plug into a simulated world like the Matrix.

You know the people in the Matrix were prisoners, right?

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #29 of 31 Old 06-10-2011, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Has anybody heard all this talk about only being able to use a single tablet controller at a time? I mean, this has to be some unfounded rumor right? No way this could possibly be legit....

I mean, how am I going to play Madden against my buddy on the sofa, with both of us using touch screens to call our plays ?
post #30 of 31 Old 06-10-2011, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm confused why you're asking us if we've heard about it? You've been discussing this with us in another thread here...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1339629&page=6

I think it's safe to say that we've heard about it.
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page