Super Mario 64 121 stars - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-12-2011, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ive heard numerous rumors about Mario 64 on the original Nintendo 64 console has an additional star. Is that real or fake ? ive seen many youtube videos saying its real but then some post saying its fake.

Also ive seen abunch of videos of where you can unlock luigi in the game as well. that im thinking is fake.

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-12-2011, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 201

All fake

But on the Nintendo DS port, there are 150 stars to collect, a few additional levels, and several new playable characters (Yoshi, Wario, and Luigi) that you can switch between in a new room added to the second floor balcony of the castle.

It's a very nice handheld port of the game that I suggest looking into (I'm currently playing through it again after finishing it 100% when it first launched with the system). The lack of an analog stick hurts it a bit (I won't lie, it was a game killer for some people and could be for you too), but the d-pad controls still worked surprisingly well I thought and the experience was very enjoyable and intact.

Has a few minor downgrades though. That wonderful fog effect hovering about the water at Jolly Roger Bay for a mission or two isn't present on the DS port for one example. 

post #3 of 11 Old 06-12-2011, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
All fake

But on the Nintendo DS port, there are 150 stars to collect, a few additional levels, and several new playable characters (Yoshi, Wario, and Luigi) that you can switch between in a new room added to the second floor balcony of the castle.

It's a very nice handheld port of the game that I suggest looking into (I'm currently playing through it again after finishing it 100% when it first launched with the system). The lack of an analog stick hurts it a bit (I won't lie, it was a game killer for some people and could be for you too), but the d-pad controls still worked surprisingly well I thought and the experience was very enjoyable and intact.
Thought about downloading it on to the wii for the quality. Do you have it on the wii and does it make a big difference with the video quality and 16:9 image ?

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #4 of 11 Old 06-13-2011, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by champer View Post

Thought about downloading it on to the wii for the quality. Do you have it on the wii and does it make a big difference with the video quality and 16:9 image ?

The version on the Wii's Virtual Console is the original N64 game running under emulation. It's identical to the original N64 game since it's literally the exact same code. So it has none of the enhancments I just mentioned for the DS port.

And it doesn't have 16:9 support. So if you download it, be sure to change your television's setting so it isn't stretching the game to fill your screen. You only want it stretching the image if it's an anamorphic widescreen game like Super Mario Galaxy. And you don't have to worry about changing your Wii's dashboard setting since selecting 16:9 there only affects games with an anamorphic widescreen mode to trigger. So there's no effect leaving your Wii set to widescreen since it has no widescreen mode to trigger (A surprising number of people seem to think they have to select 4:3 in their dashboard if they want to play a 4:3 game such as this).

And even though it's the exact same code that is on millions of N64 cartridges out there, I think it's well worth the $10 to download (Even if you own a N64 and a copy of the cartridge such as I do). The clarity of the N64 emulator running something like Super Mario 64 via component is a very nice jump in picture quality compared to the original hardware via s-video.

The blurriness is gone leaving a very sharp image behind thanks in part to both the emulator and the benefits of component video. And it plays very well with a GameCube controller (Not so well with a Wii Classic Controller though, if you ask me).
post #5 of 11 Old 06-13-2011, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Concur w/ Leo that SM64 via the Wii is a slightly better looking experience that via the original N64 fed into a modern HD display, save for the "auto-stretch" Leo described in the previous post (easy fix via your TV controls).

I'm curious to see if Nintendo both continues to offer 'Virtual Console" titles for WiiU and whether we'll soon see GCN titles delivered in this manner (esp since GCN BW-compatibilty seems to have been tossed).

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #6 of 11 Old 06-13-2011, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

The version on the Wii's Virtual Console is the original N64 game running under emulation. It's identical to the original N64 game since it's literally the exact same code. So it has none of the enhancments I just mentioned for the DS port.

And it doesn't have 16:9 support. So if you download it, be sure to change your television's setting so it isn't stretching the game to fill your screen. You only want it stretching the image if it's an anamorphic widescreen game like Super Mario Galaxy. And you don't have to worry about changing your Wii's dashboard setting since selecting 16:9 there only affects games with an anamorphic widescreen mode to trigger. So there's no effect leaving your Wii set to widescreen since it has no widescreen mode to trigger (A surprising number of people seem to think they have to select 4:3 in their dashboard if they want to play a 4:3 game such as this).

And even though it's the exact same code that is on millions of N64 cartridges out there, I think it's well worth the $10 to download (Even if you own a N64 and a copy of the cartridge such as I do). The clarity of the N64 emulator running something like Super Mario 64 via component is a very nice jump in picture quality compared to the original hardware via s-video.

The blurriness is gone leaving a very sharp image behind thanks in part to both the emulator and the benefits of component video. And it plays very well with a GameCube controller (Not so well with a Wii Classic Controller though, if you ask me).

Yeah I even have the DS version. I would love to play that on the big screen if Nintendo ever added that version. I think I liked it better since it had more stars and more levels, plus the additional characters. the game was longer than the original but easier. on the N64 getting some of those stars with mario is no where as easy getting them with Luigi

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #7 of 11 Old 06-13-2011, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok I downloaded it on the wii. and mario 64 doesnt look like its stretched at 16:9. I have the console and TV settings, set at 16:9 and looks fantastic. I wish I coud hook up my N64 to the gamecube ports on the console. anyone know of any adapters out there, that can do that ?

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #8 of 11 Old 06-13-2011, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by champer View Post

Ok I downloaded it on the wii. and mario 64 doesnt look like its stretched at 16:9. I have the console and TV settings, set at 16:9 and looks fantastic. I wish I coud hook up my N64 to the gamecube ports on the console. anyone know of any adapters out there, that can do that ?

If it's filling your 16:9 display, your set is incorrectly stretching the original 4:3 image.

Compare it with screenshots with the correct aspect ratio and you'll certainly start to notice the different proportions everything has taken on your television. But if you're pleased with how it looks filling your screen despite it being a 4:3 game (And sometimes people are happy stretching their games if it has a more cartoony look such as this one, despite knowing it's not actually correct), just enjoy yourself.

It's not like the aspect ratio police will come knocking on your door.

As for your last question, I assume you're asking if you can hook up a N64 controller to the GameCube controller ports. There are adapters that can do that, but I suggest you don't bother. The Nintendo 64 games on the Virtual Console each have customized button mapping from game to game to best suit the GameCube and Classic Controller controller. So while you'd be using an actual N64 controller to play the game with, the buttons won't all be mapped to the same buttons on the controller that they would if you were on the original hardware. So why even bother?

But if you have any NES and SuperNes games you'd like to download, I'd highly suggest something like RetroUSB's NES and SuperNes controller adapters that utilize the GCN controller ports. The button layouts are correct for the NES and SuperNes VC releases and it's great to be able to use the original controllers (Though the Wiimote on it's side performs just fine for NES games and the Classic Controller handles SuperNes games just fine).

And if you have a GameCube with a Game Boy Player kicking around, an original SuperNes controller makes for a perfect controller for playing GB/GBC/GBA games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

Concur w/ Leo that SM64 via the Wii is a slightly better looking experience that via the original N64 fed into a modern HD display

It's even a nice improvement just on a standard definition CRT. Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Wave Race all look significantly better on my Trinitron via component than they do on the N64 via composite or s-video (My HDTV has a sucky scaler, so just the PS3 and 360 are hooked up to it). And Paper Mario almost looks like it could've passed pretty well as a early GameCube game beyond when they zoom in on a sprite (It's the one Virtual Console N64 game I've purchased that I don't have the original cartridge for and have never played on real hardware). Everything's so nice and sharp with a lot more clarity than the original hardware offers.

I wish they'd release Pilotwings 64. I'd love the opportunity to rebuy that since it's the only other 1st party N64 game I'd like to get on the VC.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-17-2011, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
The best way to play N64 games is still with a PC emulator, running Ocarina of Time at 1080p (rendered) 60fps 16:9 non stretched is truly breathtaking. Even more so if you download a texture pack, but that takes quite the PC to pull off.

Makes the 3DS port of the game look a lot less appealing...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-17-2011, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

The best way to play N64 games is still with a PC emulator, running Ocarina of Time at 1080p (rendered) 60fps 16:9 non stretched is truly breathtaking. Even more so if you download a texture pack, but that takes quite the PC to pull off.

It has been years since I've messed with N64 emulation. I do remember Project 64 working well, albeit with some serious visual anomalies in some games.

What is the best N64 emulator today? I still have my console and dozens of cartridges, but playing the games on the PC with a wireless Xbox 360 controller sounds enticing.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-17-2011, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

It has been years since I've messed with N64 emulation. I do remember Project 64 working well, albeit with some serious visual anomalies in some games.

What is the best N64 emulator today? I still have my console and dozens of cartridges, but playing the games on the PC with a wireless Xbox 360 controller sounds enticing.

Project 64 1.6 is still the best. 1.7 beta is out there and has several improvements, but it is a beta so it isn't the most stable thing... The PJ64 Team stated that 1.7 will be the final version so they are taking their time to make it perfect.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page