So... what is Nintendo up to with the 3DS? - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 304 Old 06-29-2012, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17

That's not microUSB. That's a proprietary cable for the proprietary port in the back of the 3DS. It won't fit anything else.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 304 Old 07-02-2012, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Eurogamer got their hands on a 3DS XL, and apparently the 3D 'sweet spot' isn't better on the bigger screen. Personally I think the extended screen size probably makes up for it from a pro/con standpoint, but interesting nonetheless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurogamer 
Powering through Rhythm Thief or Super Mario, the 3D effect still looks lovely most of the time - and the bigger screen arguably makes it more of a feature, since it's really filling your entire view now - but if you're hacking away at a game that encourages you to spend a lot of time looking away from the centre of the playing area - at the UI, for example - you're going to notice a touch more image separation than you got with the original 3DS.

Good shot of the difference in thickness as well:
post #273 of 304 Old 07-02-2012, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
That side by side reminded me how chunky and ugly the original 3DS is. Almost looks like prototype hardware they never bothered redesigning to make it pleasing to the consumer eye.
post #274 of 304 Old 07-02-2012, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen View Post

Eurogamer got their hands on a 3DS XL, and apparently the 3D 'sweet spot' isn't better on the bigger screen.

Bummer. frown.gif

I also noticed this letdown too:
As with the DSi XL, though, the larger screen size takes a little getting used to, and leaves you with a sense that the image quality has been quietly compromised. In motion, you're not really going to notice it that much, perhaps, but the jagged edges of, say, a Mario block, look surprisingly pronounced when the action comes to a stop.

Thanks for posting!

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #275 of 304 Old 07-02-2012, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
So, it has the same issues that the original XL had.... I'm sold. I love the DSi XL and I just can't go back to the smaller screens. Hopefully the system feels just as solid as the DSi XL does, because I feel like if I dropped my 3DS one foot it would break.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #276 of 304 Old 07-02-2012, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

So, it has the same issues that the original XL had.... I'm sold. I love the DSi XL and I just can't go back to the smaller screens. Hopefully the system feels just as solid as the DSi XL does, because I feel like if I dropped my 3DS one foot it would break.

Agreed. I don't own an XL, but having played both the DSi and XL I'd take the XL almost any day. I love my PSPGo and definitely prefer that over the DS's screen, but the XL screen even more impressive.

Of course, I still play my GBA Micro all the time, too, so I'm a bit of a hypocrite biggrin.gif
post #277 of 304 Old 07-12-2012, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Here's a more positive hands-on with the 3DS XL on 1up.com.

post #278 of 304 Old 08-19-2012, 02:11 PM

Liked: 93
Just got back from Target with my red 3DS XL. Initial impressions are very good. Sitting next to my girl's 3DS, I already like this thing better. Sitting next to my iPad 3, the screens on the 3DS XL equal about half of the iPad's 10" screen in size, or about the same as a 7" tablet. The matte finish is nicer in that it doesn't pick up fingerprints nearly as easy. The top screen also has a much nicer anti-glare finish than the original 3DS. It might even be a hair better than the iPad 3's anti-glare finish. The bottom screen has the same somewhat matte finish that we've seen since the DS Lite. The three middle system buttons are vastly better as real buttons instead of the 3DS' blisters.

I miss the charging dock that the 3DS came with. Hopefully there is a $10-20 dock offered up soon, as the dock charge points are still in place. The 4GB SD card that it comes with is a waste. It's too small to be useful. New Mario 2 already eats up 350MB, meaning one can expect to fit roughly 10 games on it before needing to upgrade the card. My DS library is roughly 30 games, with at least a hundred having gone through the system in it's life. Thankfully, 32GB SDHC cards are $20 on Amazon. Mine should be here tomorrow. My hope is that I will never have to buy a cartridge to put in this system and Nintendo will just sell everything through the eShop.

The 3D sweet-spot is not any larger, but you can't expect it to be. The limiting factor is the distance between the center of your pupils. The sweet-spot has nothing to do with the hardware. Until the front-facing camera develops head-tracking, combined with the parallax divider moving in sync, glasses-free 3D will still be limited by human physiology. Thankfully again, stereoscopy is the least important part of 3D perception. Parallax and relative motion are far more important to human depth perception. As such, you'll note that moving from sprites to polygons has a much larger effect on the feeling of seeing 3D than stereoscopic images being rendered for each eye does.

I'm patiently waiting for New Super Mario 2 to download. I'll report back on whether the blown up low resolution is a negative factor. So far though, it's a no-brainer to spend the extra $30 for this version of the hardware if you are deciding between the two. It isn't the drastic difference from the DS to the DS Lite was though, as that was a no-brainer to upgrade from the earlier hardware to get. The original 3DS was much closer to a DS Lite to begin with, and this is closer to moving from a DS Lite to a DSi XL.
post #279 of 304 Old 08-19-2012, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

You really want Digital Downloads on the 3DS? I wouldn't tough them since they are linked to the hardware and not an account.

Besides, the games are cheaper online than on the eshop so there is barely any reason to buy the digital versions.

I plan on getting a XL but I am waiting for a color I want, the two tone blue/red options don't appeal to me at all.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #280 of 304 Old 08-19-2012, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:

You really want Digital Downloads on the 3DS? I wouldn't tough them since they are linked to the hardware and not an account.
Besides, the games are cheaper online than on the eshop so there is barely any reason to buy the digital versions.
I plan on getting a XL but I am waiting for a color I want, the two tone blue/red options don't appeal to me at all.

I'd much rather get the digital download, because then you don't have to carry a ton of carts around.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #281 of 304 Old 08-19-2012, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I love having everything on a single cart, it is why I hacked my PSP years ago and why I bought a DS flashcard. (I had physical copies until my housefire) But the restrictions Nintendo has on their digital items are just terrible. You drop your handheld and you risk losing every game you own in addition to the hardware. It just isn't worth the risk.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #282 of 304 Old 08-20-2012, 12:25 AM

"You really want Digital Downloads on the 3DS? I wouldn't tough them since they are linked to the hardware and not an account."

That concern will be valid for about another two months. When the Wii U comes out, universal accounts are also launching and will be integrated in to the 3DS firmware. So, I'm taking a slight risk on about $80 worth of software for two months. Not that big of a deal. On the other hand, I hate, hate, hate physical media, and it is especially terrible on a portable system.

Even in the unlikely case that my 3DS breaks in the next couple months, I send it in the Nintendo, they transfer to a new one, they send it back with data intact. It gets stolen? I call up Nintendo and tell them how they are going to take care of me.

"Besides, the games are cheaper online than on the eshop so there is barely any reason to buy the digital versions."

You have exactly zero data to back up this claim. The only thing that is available in both locations is NSMB2, and that is $40 everywhere right now. In addition, anything that is both retail and digital will be offered in a pre-paid card format that is sold on a wholesale basis from Nintendo versus the competitors' commission basis. The result? Carts and cards will see the same levels of promotional discount as the retailer is paying the same for them on their end and Nintendo does not lock the price on them. With 360/PS3/Wii/Apple pre-paid, they cost the retailer nothing, but the retailer makes 10% on an eventual sale. Hence, no retail discounts.

So, today NSMB2 cost me $40, just as it would as a cart. In a couple months people will be able to find it for maybe $35 on occasion, along with pre-paid download codes for it. Not enough for me to care about, nor deal with disgusting cartridges.
post #283 of 304 Old 08-20-2012, 12:59 AM

Regarding resolution: The bigger screen certainly has bigger pixels. It is by no means a deal-breaker though. The closest it feels to is like playing Wii on a bigger HDTV. Sure, it'd be nicer if it was sharper, but it doesn't break the experience given good frame rates and art direction are present. I've only played SMB2 on it so far. I'm going to load up Mario Land 3 to see how full 3D worlds look and the Resident Evil demo to see how a game with proper anti-aliasing looks. I sure wish more games use the 3D-off mode to add AA or render at a full 800x240 instead of the 400x240.
post #284 of 304 Old 08-20-2012, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Frys has the 3ds XL for $179.99 and NSMB2 for $29.99 right now. (sold out online so instore only at this point)

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326979

Discounts will get better over the next few weeks as well. (I got Mario Kart 7 for $22 and 3d land for $23 just weeks after their launch.)
I'll probably pick up nsmb2 in a week or two when a deal pops up for under $25

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #285 of 304 Old 08-20-2012, 01:38 AM

Yes, look at this single deal that is A) sold out, B) expired, and C) the same as retail download codes will be treated. Still doesn't make your case.

Resolution continued: Resident Evil Revelations in 3D-off with it's AA is nice looking on the new screen. The resolution is not an issue on it at all. Mario Land 3 on the other hand has rather obvious aliasing on contrasting lines. It's again about the same as playing a Wii, but Mario Land 3 really is the chunkiest of the three titles I've played. It was also certainly sharper when I went through it on the original 3DS.

So, overall? The 3DS XL is certainly a better device than the 3DS. The only caveats are physical size and bigger pixels. Everything else is an improvement.
post #286 of 304 Old 08-20-2012, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Thanks for the review. I was curious about whether there was a dock, as I love the ease of plopping my 3ds into at when I come home each day. Also, I've heard rumblings on a couple other forums of some people noticing screen-scratching issues when the console is closed, much like the original 3DS had (has?). Have you noticed anything like that?

I will mostly be sticking to buying physical copies of games myself, since I almost never play more than one game at a time and usually resell or trade away most games after I'm done with them. Certain stuff like Animal Crossing though will be awesome to have digitally. I can't wait for that.
post #287 of 304 Old 08-20-2012, 08:57 AM

It's got the same rubber nubs holding the screens apart that the DS has always had. Anyone with rubbing issues is likely jamming the thing in a tight book bag or some thing. Mine will sit at home for the most part so I'll likely never see an issue with that.
post #288 of 304 Old 08-20-2012, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

It's got the same rubber nubs holding the screens apart that the DS has always had. Anyone with rubbing issues is likely jamming the thing in a tight book bag or some thing. Mine will sit at home for the most part so I'll likely never see an issue with that.

The screen scratching has been fixed with the XL model, unless you apply a lot of force to the cener of a closed unit it has little to no chance of happening. (this is based on several user reviews and tests I have read)

And where are the matching deals for Download cards? I haven't even seen a download card offered online. And while the deal is dead online (sold out nearly instantly) it is still Live in any Fry store nation wide assuming they have it in stock. Deals like this will continue to pop up through the next several weeks, which is when I will buy the game. (I never pay full price for a game unless it is a limited edition of a small print run)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #289 of 304 Old 08-20-2012, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Well, I usually take mine along with on my daily commute, so that would be a factor for me. Then again, I've never had a piece of Nintendo hardware that couldn't stand up to that, so I'm not overly concerned.

I'm a little tempted: I really loved my DSXL, although the 3DS XL is just on the cusp of 'maybe a little too big'. I can toss the 3DS in my pocket, but I got very comfortable with the larger screen on the DS and assume I'd feel the same way about the 3DS XL. Food for thought.
post #290 of 304 Old 08-20-2012, 02:48 PM

Liked: 10
post #291 of 304 Old 08-21-2012, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I picked up a blue one to upgrade from my DS Lite and I have to say that the screen size makes all the difference in the world. I really can't tell too big a difference as far as sharpness goes but that may just be my eyes. Well worth the money if you have it. I'll give some impressions on battery life after I get a better handle on it. Initial impressions is that the battery life is also going to be pretty good. Also the blue looks a lot better in person and the box really doesn't do it justice. It's slightly darker and has a nice sheen to it.

PSN ID: javant86

post #292 of 304 Old 08-21-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I also picked up a Red XL, and like the upgrade. I got a straight $100 credit for my old 3DS via Gamestop, and based on recent auction-endings on ebay, I'm happy with that credit amount and not having to worry about shipping, bad bidders, etc..

The screen size is nicer, and the perceived resolution "loss" of the larger screen doesn't bug as much as I feared. Probably because now and can play without my glasses, so I don't see the bigger pixels as clearly. tongue.gif It feels better all-around - weight, balance, texture - although my hand still cramps somewhat while playing. I believe the circle pad now has more/wider active area? It was a smart idea to remove the blue 3D light on the right, but I do kinda miss it for some reason. I don't mind not having the charging cradle.

I don't know if it's because it's shiny and new, but I feel like playing the 3DS XL more than I did with the older 3DS.

post #293 of 304 Old 08-23-2012, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I wonder, when the Nintendo network goes Live how the cross compatability between the Wii U and the 3ds will be handled. We know that the Wii Virtual Console games will be able to be moved to the Wii U. Will Nintendo allow us to buy Zelda 1 on the Wii U will it be able to be downloaded on the 3DS as well without buying it twice? This is a big deal for me and will factor into if I buy and VC games for either system.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #294 of 304 Old 08-23-2012, 11:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
just gonna have to wait and see. When's this thing coming out? November?

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #295 of 304 Old 08-26-2012, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I just got an XL. I have a 32gb card on the way so I won't have to upgrade later. Hopefully the transfer from my new 4gb card will be simple enough.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #296 of 304 Old 08-26-2012, 04:28 PM

Pull the 4GB card out, pop it in your PC, copy contents to a new folder. Pop 32GB card in to PC, quick format as FAT32 64k clusters. Copy contents of new folder to 32GB card. Done. smile.gif

Did you grab the $22 Amazon Basics Class 10 card?
post #297 of 304 Old 08-26-2012, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Pull the 4GB card out, pop it in your PC, copy contents to a new folder. Pop 32GB card in to PC, quick format as FAT32 64k clusters. Copy contents of new folder to 32GB card. Done. smile.gif

I grabbed the Basics class 4 card for $4 less, class 2 would probably do well enough.

I'll get a class 10 for my Wii U when I get one. By then the 64gb cards might be cheaper.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #298 of 304 Old 08-28-2012, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:

Replace the 32GB for a 16GB card I had lying around...and my experience with upgrading a 3DS's removable memory was just that easy....was also able to add a "Music" folder & drag/drop a bunch of AAC files over from iTunes so my 9 yr old can groove on her fave music on the 3DS.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #299 of 304 Old 08-28-2012, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Just ordered NSMB2 and KHDDD for $30 each from Amazon. Resident Evil Revelations is $20 as well. Man my XL is going to be getting a lot of use in the coming weeks...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #300 of 304 Old 08-29-2012, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just ordered NSMB2 and KHDDD for $30 each from Amazon. Resident Evil Revelations is $20 as well. Man my XL is going to be getting a lot of use in the coming weeks...

Let us know what you think of that Kingdom Hearts game. I was on the fence about that one before I had the XL, but now kinda busy with other games.

LOVING the XL! Great purchase.

Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page