post #181 of 304 Old 12-05-2011, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

Yep, $200 and you can walk out with Mario Kart, Marioland 3D, and Zelda. Tough to beat that deal....I've been contemplating whether or not to wait till the inevitable revision, though I'm not one that often upgrades my gaming hardware within a generation.

I can't imagine not going for that ^^^ deal!

I've played a bit more Mario3DLand over the last couple days, and it's sensational. It has me jonesing for Kart, which is on the Christmas list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 304 Old 12-05-2011, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

I've been contemplating whether or not to wait till the inevitable revision, though I'm not one that often upgrades my gaming hardware within a generation.

I considered that for a long time too, but I figure, GameStop usually offers pretty good trade-in values for Nintendo portable consoles when new versions come out anyway, so I think of myself as "renting" the current model. And with the BB sale you're essentially getting the hardware for $80. Even with the "second circle pad" rumors I still have to believe we're at least about a year from a new 3DS. I mean, the thing's barely been out eight months now; the DS and DS Lite were nearly two years apart.
post #183 of 304 Old 12-05-2011, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

I can't imagine not going for that ^^^ deal!

Indeed, at this point it's more or less impulse buy.

Mongo, the more I think about it, it would take a 3ds XL revision or something seriously drastic for me to upgrade. As I was saying before, I'm not one to upgrade too often, just that with Nintendo we know there's likely at least four iterations of the 3ds hardware coming down the pipeline, but this deal is just too good to pass up.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #184 of 304 Old 12-05-2011, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Okay, so after beating Mario 3D and the special levels, there's a fifth star on your save file you can get for BEATING EVERY LEVEL A SECOND TIME.

... The game did end up being much longer than I thought it would with the special levels, but that fifth star is just stupid.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #185 of 304 Old 12-06-2011, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

Okay, so after beating Mario 3D and the special levels, there's a fifth star on your save file you can get for BEATING EVERY LEVEL A SECOND TIME.

... The game did end up being much longer than I thought it would with the special levels, but that fifth star is just stupid.

Oh, you know you are gonna go for it.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #186 of 304 Old 12-06-2011, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

New firmware is live, y'all. 3D video-taking! New Streetpass content! And uh, other stuff I'm forgetting. Go get it if you have nothing better to do.
post #187 of 304 Old 12-07-2011, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

New firmware is live, y'all. 3D video-taking! New Streetpass content! And uh, other stuff I'm forgetting. Go get it if you have nothing better to do.

Will DL this @ lunchtime today - about the only time I can get my paws on it while the kids are @ school. That will change, of course, once we aquire MK 7.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #188 of 304 Old 12-07-2011, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
cool, ill get it downloaded tonight.
thanks.

PC/PS3/360/Wii U
PSN GT: chuckster1
XBL GT: TahoeCougar
Steam: chavan30

post #189 of 304 Old 12-07-2011, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey, they finally added download queues. Up to 10 in the queue, then it'll start downloading once put in sleep mode. You're slowly catching up to, what, 2005, Nintendo!

Find Mii II also seems significantly deeper than the original. Branching paths, various potions to buy, team attacks, you can re-hire any Miis in your plaza (3 coins for a Level 1 Mii, and my one Level 3 Mii costs 7 coins). You also meet your King Mii's somewhat disturbing family.
post #190 of 304 Old 12-09-2011, 12:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Well I joined the 3ds fraternity today.... Flame red model with Mario 3dland, Mario kart and Zelda for $200+tax( best buy promotion $50 gift card and buy 2/get 1 free).

post #191 of 304 Old 12-13-2011, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I'm on the final level of the Mario 3Dland special stages (it's my commuter game). I've noticed A LOT more streetpass tags in the last few weeks. In the last week alone, I got three new tags...all of them playing Mario Kart.

Hoping to pick it up this week.
post #192 of 304 Old 12-14-2011, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey, remember the 10 GBA "ambassador games" promised to people who bought the 3DS before the price drop? Well, they're finally coming this Friday (in the UK and Japan at least, but America has to follow soon), and they at last revealed the full list:

Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island
Mario Kart: Super Circuit
Metroid Fusion
WarioWare Inc. Mega Microgames
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Wario Land 4
Kirby & The Amazing Mirror
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
F-Zero: Maximum Velocity

Now, is it me, or is that a pretty damn good list? Including a Fire Emblem game instantly adds a ton of value in terms of playtime, even though that has to be the worst GBA FE game (it's also by far the easiest and most newcomer-friendly, and thus its inclusion makes sense). I've never played the Wario Land or Kirby installments, but I have pretty high hopes for those as well. I thought the initial round of ambassador games was an unimpressive dump of stuff people have already played/paid for a billion times or would never pay to download in the first place, but this is all A/B-list, much less overexposed stuff. Welp, looks like I'm not buying any actual 3DS games for a while more.
post #193 of 304 Old 12-14-2011, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 205
So Fire Emblem is fun? I've never paid much attention to that series, especially since so much of it never made it out over here until recent years (Including Nintendo's last Super Famicom game in 2000 or so, a couple of years after SuperNes owners got their final game over here). I'd hate to get hooked but then not be able to play the other games in the series. Also was never interested in the WarioWare series of minigame collections.

While I still haven't bought a 3DS and I already own the games that interest me in their original form (All of the NES games including several prior rereleases after the NES days, and the 8 GBA games in that list that interested me), that would've gone a long way towards keeping me from being displeased when the system saw a drastic price drop if I had been an early adapter. Good move by Nintendo.

If they make these available to everyone someday (Which I'm sure they will, they're just saying they have no current plans to sell these, not that they never will), I'll be hard pressed to ignore my favorites. But I hope I can resist for a change.

I'm a sucker for a rerelease of a favorite game, but I see no real reason to buy any of these GBA games. When it gets right down to it, other than convenience, they don't offer anything I don't already have with the original cartridges on my nice backlit SP2. And I'm glad to see Link to the Past not appear on this list. I'm hoping we'll see that one be remade as a 3D Classics release like they've talked about wanting to do.

But when it comes to a freebie, I've never seen a better deal than these 20 games.
post #194 of 304 Old 12-14-2011, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Huh, apparently Nintendo has also added downloadable games as Club Nintendo rewards. I might actually use all my points for once.

post #195 of 304 Old 12-14-2011, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey, remember the 10 GBA "ambassador games" promised to people who bought the 3DS before the price drop? Well, they're finally coming this Friday (in the UK and Japan at least, but America has to follow soon), and they at last revealed the full list:

Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island
Mario Kart: Super Circuit
Metroid Fusion
WarioWare Inc. Mega Microgames
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Wario Land 4
Kirby & The Amazing Mirror
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
F-Zero: Maximum Velocity

Now, is it me, or is that a pretty damn good list?

Pretty damn good list from where I sit.....

post #196 of 304 Old 12-14-2011, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
some great games on there… wow. Knew about Metroid and YI, but Minish Cap and Fire Emblem are welcome inclusions.

Having said that, it does seem that these were hand-picked to be the "new installments" for their respective series, something we might take and kindly shut up about until Ninty feels like doling out real next gen franchise updates… I also own nearly all of these in original form, and while they're great games and welcome additions to VC, it's no substitute for the real thing.

Maybe I'm just crotchety anymore. I could be Mr Burns and not realize it…
post #197 of 304 Old 12-15-2011, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

So Fire Emblem is fun?

I'm kinda surprised you never gave one a try given what appears to be an extensive gaming background. If you're into strategy RPGs at all I can't see what you wouldn't love about them. Other than of course the unforgiving difficulty, which I'm sure you've heard about--when a character dies, he/she's gone forever, period. Nothing like spending two hours carefully making your way across a map, only to accidentally move your guy one space to far to the right, thus luring the boss out to one-hit-kill your archer that you've been carefully leveling for 18 previous missions.

I admit that I was only willing to even try the series when given the opportunity to play them on a *cough* emulator (thus liberally abusing save states), but I got hooked enough that I eventually played nearly all the GBA/GC iterations in proper form. The GC versions are slightly more forgiving, at least allowing limited mid-battle saving, but Sacred Stones on GBA is piss-easy. It's the only game in the series that has unlimited side missions, meaning you can grind your characters into godhood if you wish, not to mention that most of your characters are unusually powerful for the series to start with. (Perhaps as a side effect, its characters are among the least memorable in the series.) But like I said, this does make it the easiest game to start the series with.
post #198 of 304 Old 12-15-2011, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Well, this is kinda cool. Seems the Louvre is using the 3DS as their new electronic guidebook. Wonder if they're have some kind of QR codes that bring up info as you walk around? Or better yet, AR!

But you'll have to run in order to see much in the in 3 hours before the battery dies...

http://www.news.com.au/world/louvre-...#ixzz1gcOcr8UR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some guy at the Louvre View Post

Starting in March, the world's most visited museum will gradually replace its traditional audio-guides - used by just four per cent of its 8.5 million annual visitors - with 3DS pocket consoles.

"We are the first museum in the world to do this," Agnes Alfandari, museum's head of multimedia told AFP.

The Japanese giant Nintendo is supplying 5000 of the latest-generation consoles, which offer 3D vision without the need for special glasses, as part of a partnership with the museum.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/world/louvre-...#ixzz1gck7M6EN

post #199 of 304 Old 12-15-2011, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 205
You won't be able to have a tour guide take you around anymore? When I was there a couple of years ago, my group and many others had a tour guide taking you around and talking to you wirelessly through headsets.

I bet it doesn't last. Sounds like a mistake, to me, to replace the human element.

Or do they mean something else when they're talking about an audio guide? Is there some electronic system already in place for self guided tours, perhaps?
post #200 of 304 Old 12-16-2011, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I think they mean as an option, not completely replacing tour guides.

Looks like I'm able to download the GBA games now too.

Edit: Not very impressed by the "Download Later" function though. After ten minutes, my downloads have all progressed 0%.

post #201 of 304 Old 12-16-2011, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

That's funny, I was about to praise the new download queue because all mine downloaded in about 10 minutes. You know you have to close the lid to activate the background downloading, right?
post #202 of 304 Old 12-16-2011, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's funny, I was about to praise the new download queue because all mine downloaded in about 10 minutes. You know you have to close the lid to activate the background downloading, right?

Yeah, I had it closed for ten minutes and when I checked each one, the progress was at 0%. I checked again an hour later and everything downloaded though. If it downloaded that fast for you though, I wonder if Nintendo was just having server issues or something at first, and that's why it wasn't going.

post #203 of 304 Old 12-18-2011, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Did anyone pick up the 3D Classics version of Xevious? I'm trying to decide whether it's worth the 100 Club Nintendo points or if I should just wait until next month and see what games come.

post #204 of 304 Old 12-19-2011, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Did anyone pick up the 3D Classics version of Xevious? I'm trying to decide whether it's worth the 100 Club Nintendo points or if I should just wait until next month and see what games come.

It's a very accurate version of the NES version of Xevious in 3D. Unfortunately after buying it, I realized that the NES version of Xevious is really pretty dull.
post #205 of 304 Old 12-19-2011, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I heard fluidity is good. The mario/dk game looks ok, but I think the mere fact that I'd never heard of xevious when I actually loved crap like r-type & gradius stopped me from getting it.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #206 of 304 Old 12-19-2011, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Well....out of some late evening boredom, I was a tad naughty & openend up the MK7 game we got our eldest daughter for XMAS (nice that the game can be easily sealed up as "new" without her knowledge - and it had yet to be giftwrapped).

Been a while since I played MK Wii. MK7 3D is pretty much MK Wii 2.0, which is not a bad thing. First Kart game I have played on a handheld. I like it...a lot! Digging the 3D & found online to be very smooth.

post #207 of 304 Old 12-20-2011, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I loaded it on the kid's 3DS last night - had some coins to use & also picked up the Mario Minis title & Super MK for the Wii. Post-XMAS, we should be able to earn a few more coins to suppliment what I have left.

It is Xevious....in 3D. I find the 3D works well for this one, but is the most eye strain a 3D title has given me to date. Within the game settings, you can further dial in the the overall 3D effect in addition to what the slider nets you - this helps with the eye strain.

post #208 of 304 Old 12-28-2011, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone else downloaded and played around with Swapnote? Sometimes I think Nintendo devotes too much time to cutesy utility programs that no one's ever going to really use (when they could instead be say, hammering out an online infrastructure that doesn't seem like it's from 1998 by way of George Orwell's 1984), but I'm having a lot of fun. Sure, it's not that much of an update from the dick-doodle delivery system that was PictoChat on the DS, but I'm having fun drawing stuff in 3D (i.e., two-plane). It's especially cool how it keeps track of exactly how you drew it; it's mesmerizing watching your brushstrokes come together each time. I want to test out the Spotpass/Streetpass functionality, but am debating whether it's anywhere near as funny as I think it is to pass a picture that spells out "I'm Stalking YOU!" to anyone I Streetpass.
post #209 of 304 Old 12-29-2011, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Swapnote is pretty neat, but honestly it's the type of thing that needed to be fully built in to a System Update, to ensure that everyone has it, and not just the few who download it.

post #210 of 304 Old 12-30-2011, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Has anyone else downloaded and played around with Swapnote? Sometimes I think Nintendo devotes too much time to cutesy utility programs that no one's ever going to really use (when they could instead be say, hammering out an online infrastructure that doesn't seem like it's from 1998 by way of George Orwell's 1984), but I'm having a lot of fun. Sure, it's not that much of an update from the dick-doodle delivery system that was PictoChat on the DS, but I'm having fun drawing stuff in 3D (i.e., two-plane). It's especially cool how it keeps track of exactly how you drew it; it's mesmerizing watching your brushstrokes come together each time. I want to test out the Spotpass/Streetpass functionality, but am debating whether it's anywhere near as funny as I think it is to pass a picture that spells out "I'm Stalking YOU!" to anyone I Streetpass.

hey mongo add me 3136-6780-8494 and my wife will send you pancake-related swapnotes

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page