AVS Forum banner

So... what is Nintendo up to with the 3DS?

25K views 303 replies 27 participants last post by  dragonyeuw 
#1 ·
Full Disclosure:

I have not purchased and have no intention of buying a 3DS. I think the games library is too small, the current design is pretty 'meh', battery life is fair at best, and the price is still $50 too high.

Reports are that sales have been soft at best; I don't know anyone (personally, not including AVS'ers) that bought one, and stores here all have plenty of them on the shelf. Heck, even we AVS Nintendorks are pretty quiet on the board...which is unusual for a new console that had us so hyped initially. Even the near 'messiah' level launch of OoT hasn't driven sales like predicted. Now we've got price-drops and sales?

3DS $214 USD shipped until 11am EST today:
http://deals.ebay.com/5000044643_Nin...37153588756583

WalMart Canada has 3DS "Rollback" to $198CAN starting next week:

Amazon has buy-one-get-one-free on games:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...0ARHSEZ9CBT3AA

And coupe all that with the reports of hinge problems, the screens scratching when closed, the lack of game releases any time soon... and basically I'm not sure what the heck Ninty has left in their magic hat. I'd almost venture to say they're stumped, confused, bamboozled... which is mind boggling, they should be rocking sales and sold out everywhere, right?

Right?

-vdz

See less See more
#4 ·
FWIW... the system is much better looking in person. The pictures seem to highlight all these weird lines and stuff that you don't really notice.

What's Nintendo doing? Holding down the fort until Mario Kart and Super Mario come out. The exact same thing they did with the DS. I really doubt they bet on huge sales with a $250 price tag and highlight games like OoT remake, Street Fighter, and Shadow Wars.

#5 ·
Fail!

Rumor has it that during Black Friday these babies will be $150!

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by binici /forum/post/20746484

Fail!

Rumor has it that during Black Friday these babies will be $150!

See, that's the thing... 3DS launches and everyone said "THIS IS $250?" [/ignore]

Vita hits at E3 and everyone said "WHOLLY FOOBAR; THIS IS $250?" [/welp, N just died a public death]

Honestly, N rushed this thing and it's showing... it's starting to be blatantly obvious that they chased a concept and pushed too hard to be first to market to try and appease shareholders. Just glad I'm not a Nikkei guy.

And I love Nintendo. I hate saying this.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing /forum/post/20746368

FWIW... the system is much better looking in person. The pictures seem to highlight all these weird lines and stuff that you don't really notice.

What's Nintendo doing? Holding down the fort until Mario Kart and Super Mario come out. The exact same thing they did with the DS. I really doubt they bet on huge sales with a $250 price tag and highlight games like OoT remake, Street Fighter, and Shadow Wars.
The fort

The fort

The fort is on fire

We don't need no water, let the...

well, you know the rest...

" Nintendo's earnings for the April-June quarter are likely to be lackluster, underscoring how sharply the company's fortunes have turned since the days when the Wii seemed to be an unstoppable retail force."

Nintendo 3DS dropped by online retailer Amazon

" Whilst Amazon.co.uk continues to stock the 3D gaming device US gaming fans turning to the online outlet to purchase the portable Nintendo console have found themselves facing no official listing for the 3DS. "

While Konami couldn’t provide a reason as to the delay nor what the exact new date would be, a refurbished Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater is still on-track for a late-2011 release for the PS3 and Xbox 360. Sucks for everyone who was thinking of picking up a 3DS just to play this

#8 ·
Eh, the system was released in March and it's the summer now. Not big months for hardware or software. Look at the sales numbers - industry is down 10%+ year-over-year.

Plus, the 3DS lineup is pretty bad. I mean, for an owner there is good stuff but nobody is rushing out to buy a system for these games.

If the system is still struggling once it has Super Mario and Mario Kart, then that would be a time for Nintendo to panic.

#9 ·
#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb16 /forum/post/20748027

That Amazon story is highly misleading, at least the headline is. Amazon only every removed the cosmo black version (and it was only temporary), and currently both models are available for purchase through and from Amazon.com

Point taken. Now, everyone please start listening to the madman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwata San /forum/post/0

REDMOND, Wash., July 28, 2011 – Nintendo of America today announced plans to drop the suggested retail price of its portable Nintendo 3DS™ system to $169.99 in the United States, as new games based on some of the world's most beloved video game franchises head to the system. The new price, down from the suggested launch price of $249.99 and effective Aug. 12, makes an outstanding value even better and sets up a strong holiday season for the system.

"For anyone who was on the fence about buying a Nintendo 3DS, this is a huge motivation to buy now," said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. "We are giving shoppers every incentive to pick up a Nintendo 3DS, from an amazing new price to a rapid-fire succession of great games."

Full article: http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=30048

I'm just as shocked as you guys... but this is where they should have started. PSVita would have had a very different opening position if 3DS was at $169 from the start.

But, hey. Live and learn.

[EDIT] Oh, and early adopters get 20 free games:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendo /forum/post/0

Since Nintendo 3DS launched in the United States on March 27, more than 830,000 people in the U.S. alone have purchased one to enjoy 3D visuals without the need for special glasses. These Nintendo 3DS owners represent some of Nintendo's most loyal customers, and Nintendo is rewarding them for getting in on the action early with 20 free downloadable games from the Nintendo eShop.

#12 ·
Wow, that's a pretty shocking drop, unheard of for Nintendo. I guess Vita coming in at $250 (as opposed to the usual pricing ridiculousness everyone expected from Sony) really forced a drastic change. This almost makes me want to buy one now, as $170 is impulse-buy territory...but that battery life, man.

Kinda sucks for early adopters, but all those VC games (and there's some really good ones in there) aren't a bad consolation prize.

Also, is it me or is it weird to see a Mario Kart sequel with just a number at the end of it instead of the name the system it's on?

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing /forum/post/20750139

I'm actually pretty shocked. I got my system a month ago of course.

I got 2 at release (one for me and one for my fiance) for about that price because of two ds lite trade ins.

I'm bummed about the drop, and pretty shocked.

Oh well, early adopters of everything usually get screwed to some degree.

#16 ·
Some of the GBA games:

Yoshi's Island/Super Mario Advance 3

Mario Kart: Super Circuit

Metroid Fusion

WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgames

Mario vs. Donkey Kong

And the NES ones:

Legend of Zelda

Balloon Fight

Ice Climber

There's some good ones in there (Yoshi's Island, Metroid Fusion and Mario vs Donkey Kong) but the announced NES ones so far are either not very good or just ones I've played a million times (Zelda). And Mario Kart for the GBA? Is there even a point to that one? I like Mario Kart, but I'd imagine the GBA one is pretty laughable compared to the DS and eventual 3DS ones.

Now if only they'd round off the prices in the eShop. There is no reason for downloadable products to be $x.99 other than to screw you in the end, when you've got $x.98 and can't buy ANYTHING.

#18 ·
@ $169, I can see getting one as being more of a reality now.

#19 ·
I can't get excited about 20 free games I

1) may still own on other Ninty platforms (which is all the GBA games!) and

2) were hand picked to be headline-grabbing and mainstream accessible

Make that "deal" a $100 VC gift card for things I feel like downloading and we might talk, Reggie.

-vdz

#21 ·
This is going to be an awesome price tag! Black Friday, here we come!

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Nintendo of America today announced plans to drop the suggested retail price of its portable Nintendo 3DSsystem to $169.99 in the United States, as new games based on some of the world's most beloved video game franchises head to the system. The new price, down from the suggested launch price of $249.99 and effective Aug. 12, makes an outstanding value even better and sets up a strong holiday season for the system.

For anyone who was on the fence about buying a Nintendo 3DS, this is a huge motivation to buy now, said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. We are giving shoppers every incentive to pick up a Nintendo 3DS, from an amazing new price to a rapid-fire succession of great games.

Nintendo 3DS has the strongest software lineup of any video game system this holiday season and the new price now opens up the glasses-free 3D experience to many more consumers. Building on the popularity of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, which launched June 19, the upcoming game calendar is a Who's Who of iconic video game franchises. Star Fox 64 3D arrives on Sept. 9, followed by Super Mario 3D Land in November, Mario Kart 7 in December and Kid Icarus: Uprising during the holiday season. In addition to great games, Nintendo 3DS has a host of attractive features* that make it the must-have video game system this season:

The new Nintendo Video service automatically delivers short 3D videos from the worlds of music, comedy, animation and Hollywood.A free application allows Netflix members with unlimited streaming plans to instantly watch TV episodes and movies streaming from Netflix.

The Nintendo eShop is a digital store for Nintendo 3DS owners that provides access to a wide variety of downloadable content, such as original 3D software, classic games that have been re-mastered in 3D called 3D Classics, Game Boy and Game Boy Color Virtual Console games in their original 2D glory, and more than 350 Nintendo DSiWare games. Visitors can also view video game trailers, screen shots and product information for games, including those available at retail locations.

Since Nintendo 3DS launched in the United States on March 27, more than 830,000 people in the U.S. alone have purchased one to enjoy 3D visuals without the need for special glasses. These Nintendo 3DS owners represent some of Nintendo's most loyal customers, and Nintendo is rewarding them for getting in on the action early with 20 free downloadable games from the Nintendo eShop.

These free games are available to anyone who owns a Nintendo 3DS system and uses a wireless broadband Internet signal to connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11. These users will automatically be registered in the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador program. The program contains two elements:

Starting Sept. 1, Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors will be able to download 10 NES Virtual Console games at no charge and before they are available in the Nintendo eShop to the general public. These games, including Super Mario Bros., Donkey Kong Jr., Balloon Fight, Ice Climber and The Legend of Zelda, are slated to become paid downloadable games, but Ambassadors get them early for free. Once the paid versions of the games are posted to the Nintendo eShop later in the year, the updated versions will be available to Ambassadors for download at no cost. By the end of 2011, Nintendo will provide Ambassadors with 10 Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games. These include games like Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3, Mario Kart: Super Circuit, Metroid Fusion, WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ and Mario vs. Donkey Kong. These games will be available exclusively to Ambassadors, and Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on the Nintendo 3DS in the future.

More details about this program will be announced in the future.

#24 ·
I think the news shows that consumers are not able to bear the purchase of ANY next gen console at above $200 price points at this time. I believe any console released with in the next two years will flop hard. People won't be able to run out and buy $400 Xbox 720s and $600 PS4s because of the current economy. What's out there right now is good enough for most consumers and if it's not they'll just go running to Steam....like I did.

#26 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing
Run to Steam, to buy games for their $800+ gaming PC?
I didn't say a lot of people...I just mean the people willing to foot the bill for next-gen...it's already here just not at consumer friendly prices. $600 consoles will face a tough road against $500 iPads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.