How to use a wii with a projector? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-15-2011, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am finishing my basement and am going to have a projector with a fixed 106 inch acoustically transparent projector screen. I have an adjacent wall/room under the stairs which will serve as the equipment room and will have all hardware (game consoles, bluray player, etc). I didn't even think that I could play the wii on the projector screen because it seemed like there was no good place for the wii sensor bar. The screen would take up most of the wall real estate and the sensor bar is usually placed somewhere above or below the screen. With a screen that big, not sure if that would even be an option that would work.

I just thought to check online for wii sensor bar extension cables, and sure enough, they are out there. It may not be too late for me to pre-wire the extension cable (might have to detach and re-attached a few pieces of drywall).

So here are my questions/issues?

1) I might have to overnight ship an extension cable from amazon (not sure if it is worth it). Has anyone bought an extension cable for their wii sensor bar from a local B&M store? I hate stores like Best Buy and HHGregg, but if they have it for 20% markup, might still be worth it

2) Where would I mount the sensor with a 106 inch screen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-15-2011, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
With such a large screen, the "sensor bar" may not sync your movements to your cursor on the screen. I find that even my 50" plasma seems too large - if I actually point a wiimote toward the corner of the screen, the cursor will be off screen. I think the wii was designed with smaller TVs in mind.

That said, depending on how handy you are, you might be able to rig something else up...

First, the fact that Nintendo calls it a "sensor bar" is entirely inaccurate. It's really nothing more than a pair of infrared LEDs, shining steadily. It's only function is to give the wiimote a point of reference, and the wiimote is the actual sensor.

If you were to dismantle a "sensor bar," and discreetly mount the LEDs at the bottom (or top) of your screen, a little wider apart than they are from the factory, you could probably have a pretty great setup for a projector. I don't know how much wider than stock they should be to make a large screen feel right - some trial and error may be involved, to get it right.

I watched a video on youtube recently where some guys soldered up a pair of infrared LED lamps, and played wii sports in a full-size movie theater. They didn't use any sort of sensor bar extender - the IR LEDs don't actually need to be hooked up to the wii at all (the wii was up in the projection booth).
post #3 of 8 Old 08-15-2011, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 198
I thought wider spaced IR lights for the Wii to improve your control when played on a larger screen had pretty much been detirmined to be a myth at this point?
post #4 of 8 Old 08-15-2011, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Just buy a $20 wireless sensor bar at Best Buy or Walmart. They're battery powered and the batteries last a long time.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-15-2011, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythan View Post

Just buy a $20 wireless sensor bar at Best Buy or Walmart. They're battery powered and the batteries last a long time.

That's brilliant. Now where do I put it or mount it. That's half the battle.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-16-2011, 03:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrain View Post

That's brilliant. Now where do I put it or mount it. That's half the battle.

Right under the screen. Tape it to the wall if you have to.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-16-2011, 04:25 PM

I have 2 Wii sensor bars that can either be battery powered or plugged directly into an outlet that I have mounted at the top of my screen with Velcro. I have them plugged into an outlet for power. Then I put black electrical tape over the LEDs towards the center of each so that I essentially have an extra large bar and it's way more stable at a typical projector throw distance. It works great!
post #8 of 8 Old 08-16-2011, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page