What Wii titles could become the next Nintendo Selects? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-21-2011, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm guessing we will see another wave sometime during the holiday shopping season. What titles will they be? Super Mario Wii? Galaxy 2?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-21-2011, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Most any 1st party Wii title appears to be a candidate, I would think. They're picking games that were massive successess and games that didn't make a big splash, so far. The only ones I would be skeptical of would be Super Mario All-Stars (They already said the 2nd run was it), the freebies given away with an accessory (Wii Play, for instance), and the New Play Control lineup. I think they might give Metroid Prime Trilogy a try, though. And I doubt the games that Nintendo just acted as publisher on, rather than as developer or the company paying for development, would be candidates (Kororinpa: Marble Mania in PAL territories, for example)

I assume you mean New Super Mario Brothers Wii? That's a candidate for certain and I'm sure it will make it's way out eventually as a member of this line. But I'm not sure we'll see that or Super Mario Galaxy 2 join the program this year. I'm under the impression both are still selling well (Plus, Super Mario Galaxy hasn't been in the program for very long and they want to milk that one at a budget price first), so I think they will be later candidates.

Although it doesn't look like they've been in the top 10 recently, unlike Mario Kart Wii, so maybe they're not still selling as well as I thought.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-21-2011, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
I don't expect another round before the holidays, even with a push to get sagging Wii sales back up I'd be they just market the crap out of what they've already got... and 3DS, of course.

As to what the eventual next wave would be, I'd be surprised if they didn't re-re-release the Prime Trilogy games as 3 individual "Selects"... everyone who doesn't own Trilogy would buy them again. As well they should.
post #4 of 8 Old 08-22-2011, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen View Post

I don't expect another round before the holidays, even with a push to get sagging Wii sales back up I'd be they just market the crap out of what they've already got... and 3DS, of course.

As to what the eventual next wave would be, I'd be surprised if they didn't re-re-release the Prime Trilogy games as 3 individual "Selects"... everyone who doesn't own Trilogy would buy them again. As well they should.

I expect to see the 3 MP games re-issued as well - especially if a WiiU Metroid title comes down the pike @ some point. Some have hypothesized that GCN games will end up as "WiiU Virtual Console" titles, which is where MP 1 & 2 could come from.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #5 of 8 Old 08-22-2011, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

Some have hypothesized that GCN games will end up as "WiiU Virtual Console" titles, which is where MP 1 & 2 could come from.

I'm one of those hypothesizers... and I'd venture to bet (again, double down!) that GBA games will join WiiU just like 3DS. And when they do, you can be sure we'll see re-releases like these:

post #6 of 8 Old 08-22-2011, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't expect another round before the holidays, even with a push to get sagging Wii sales back up I'd be they just market the crap out of what they've already got

While I wouldn't want to bet against you, I wouldn't be surprised if we got a third round this year. Just been three months since the initial launch of the program.

I could see a third wave coming somewhere around November for the Christmas season, assuming the second wave performs up to expectations (I assume the 1st did since we're getting a 2nd wave of releases).

Quote:

I'd bet on a rerelease for the Trilogy. I'm not sure I'd see $20 rereleases for each Metroid Prime release performing very well in the marketplace these days, but I bet a budget release containing all three would capture those remaining few sales from the people that have missed out on the series so far, those that regret not getting the Trilogy for the new controls for MP1&2 when they could, or just from people that played some of them over the years and are now feeling nostalgic that might pick this up on a whim (The MP series has been around for a surprising amount of time at this point, although it still feels brand new to me).

I don't think with the GCN copies of MP1 & 2 being so cheap and even MP3 itself on the Wii being cheap to acquire these days, that they'd have enough people viewing $20 standalone releases of each as having enough value these days.

Quote:

I expect to see the 3 MP games re-issued as well - especially if a WiiU Metroid title comes down the pike @ some point. Some have hypothesized that GCN games will end up as "WiiU Virtual Console" titles, which is where MP 1 & 2 could come from.

With how acclaimed MP3's control scheme was and the addition of it to the first two games in the series on the Wii, I don't ever envision Nintendo rereleasing the GCN originals again.

The WiiU will be fully compatible with Wii accessories, and I think it's widely felt it will come packaged with a WiiU branded Wii Remote Plus and nunchuck along with that tablet controller to keep motion gaming as a critical component of their new console..

Not to mention that the popular rumor was something like 8 gigs of internal memory for the WiiU. I'm not sure I see Nintendo doing digital distrbution of GCN or Wii software this generation if that was accurate, even with the SD slot.

Quote:

I'm one of those hypothesizers... and I'd venture to bet (again, double down!) that GBA games will join WiiU just like 3DS. And when they do, you can be sure we'll see re-releases like these:

Nintendo has fallen in love with digital distribution of their back catalog, so I'd bet against a physical rerelease program for GBA software on the 3DS or the WiiU. I bet it joins the WiiU's Virtual Console someday like it's already been announced for the 3DS.

And if they did, it wouldn't be the GBA release of Zelda with it's changed aspect ratio with missing lines of resolution to fit it on the GBA's 3:2 screen. They would just release the NES game itself (I believe they've shown off a demo of it for their 3D Classics line on the 3DS, and I bet the WiiU still will have a Virtual Console and a NES section), I'm sure.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-20-2011, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

lol rerererelease
post #8 of 8 Old 10-21-2011, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

Quote:

Some have hypothesized that GCN games will end up as "WiiU Virtual Console" titles...

Not to mention that the popular rumor was something like 8 gigs of internal memory for the WiiU. I'm not sure I see Nintendo doing digital distrbution of GCN or Wii software this generation if that was accurate, even with the SD slot.

Looks like you very well might be right about that.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/.../video/6324668

Which to me suggest that the rumors of just 8 gigs of internal flash memory might not be accurate. I have trouble picturing them releasing digital content that would take up a significant amount of space available on a WiiU right out of the box with just a couple of downloads (Many popular GCN games from Nintendo basically fill all 1.4 gigs of space available on a GCN disc).

So although we already know it has a SD slot and plenty of USB ports that very well might support plugging in an external hard drive, I'd bet on more memory as standard if they're going to digitally be distributing GameCube software. Especially if they also want to distribute popular Wii releases, where many popular games were around 5 gigs, and a few beyond 7 gigs (I only know of Super Smash Brothers, but I assume there might be a few others just as large).

8 gigs just isn't going to be very much room at all if they want to sell digital versions of their last two generations of console releases.
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page