Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #181 of 220 Old 01-18-2012, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I just completed the Lanayru Mines, and Link is supposed to talk to an old woman in the protected zone. Where is the protected zone? Thanks.

Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 220 Old 01-18-2012, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I believe that's referring to the old woman with the long braid who you first met in the forest area.
post #183 of 220 Old 01-19-2012, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

I just completed the Lanayru Mines, and Link is supposed to talk to an old woman in the protected zone. Where is the protected zone? Thanks.

Doug

The old woman in the sacred realm at the start of the forest.

It's been a month since I finished this game (I'm a bit of a completionist, did everything except the Hylian shield). I must say, it was a fairly unmemorable experience. I read all the reviews, some saying it supplants OoT as the best in the series. I can't say I agree. The motion controls were excellent (with exception of several moments when the Wiimote went haywire), and it felt very polished.

That being said, I liked Twilight Princess better. Yes, the early wolf sections were lackluster, but overall it had more of an adventure feel than Skyward Sword. I also did not like returning to Skyloft over and over again; part of an adventure to me is the "can't go home again" theme, highlighted by the last scene with Link riding out of town.

Also...

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
... the Demise fight was simple and anticlimactic. I felt more tension and an epic feel fighting Koloktos, and Ghirahim in his various guises was more difficult.
post #184 of 220 Old 01-19-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I realize this is totally subjective, but in terms of having an "adventure feel," I think the scope of SS wins out over TP. I mean, you're exploring ground that no one's been in or even knew existed for centuries, and by the end you're working a plan that's been in motion for centuries. Plus, you're not just saving some faceless princess you've never met in this one, you're saving your dearest childhood friend/love interest and with the fate of the world still in the balance. To me being able to return home as you like doesn't counteract that; in fact part of what I like about this game is how Skyloft and its populace's perception of you changes over the course of the game.

I do agree you with you on the end boss, though. I expected at least a third phase.
post #185 of 220 Old 01-19-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

I realize this is totally subjective, but in terms of having an "adventure feel," I think the scope of SS wins out over TP. I mean, you're exploring ground that no one's been in or even knew existed for centuries, and by the end you're working a plan that's been in motion for centuries. Plus, you're not just saving some faceless princess you've never met in this one, you're saving your dearest childhood friend/love interest and with the fate of the world still in the balance. To me being able to return home as you like doesn't counteract that; in fact part of what I like about this game is how Skyloft and its populace's perception of you changes over the course of the game.

I do agree you with you on the end boss, though. I expected at least a third phase.

I agree that there was much greater characterization in SS. In TP, Midna was fairly annoying until the end when her story was revealed, and Zelda was definitely under-developed. I just liked TP's more expansive overworld, and there just felt like more to do with side quests.

Don't get me wrong; I thoroughly enjoyed nearly every minute playing SS. I just felt a greater sense of satisfaction (and a bit of melancholy) when I finshed TP, and I still recall moments of it fondly to this day. I don't have that with SS.
post #186 of 220 Old 01-19-2012, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Twilight Princess' final hour annoyed me to no end, the story was just terrible. (no way Link would fall for Zelda, not after the massive build up of the childhood friendship then it gets thrown out.) they should have focused more on the children and the people of the world more, the characters were great but they didnt get enough screen time.

At least SS didn't pull that. The overall adventure was more fun in TP but SS had one of the best stories in the series, not since OoT have I cared about the characters that much (I actually feel that SS has the best cast yet)

My favorite game stories are usually character driven not epic save the world driven. (Tales of Vesperia's cast remains one of my favorites)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #187 of 220 Old 01-20-2012, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

... SS had one of the best stories in the series, not since OoT have I cared about the characters that much (I actually feel that SS has the best cast yet)...

Agreed with SS having the best characters in the series.

I guess it comes down to expectations. Ever since I played the original as a kid, I've come to expect the following from a Zelda game: gameplay, a huge overworld, puzzles, dungeons, and fetch quests. As long as those boxes are ticked, I'm happy. Now, if I was to play a Final Fantasy game, then the story and characters mean much more. It's all about expectations. Like I wouldn't care one bit about story when playing Super Mario Galaxy because its predecessors set my expectation for that franchise.
post #188 of 220 Old 01-20-2012, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I actually got a bit...emotional at points in SS, which was surprising. A lot of it is that the game actually has character development for practically the first time in the series, but well-implemented motion controls often get me more emotionally invested in a game. It feels like it means more when I'm physically exerting myself a bit to take down an A-hole bad guy who's screwing with the characters I've actually come to care for a bit. Swinging Koloktos' own giant sword against him wouldn't have been nearly the cathartic, badass moment it was just lightly tapping a button instead of taking a giant F-you swing with my arm.

I can't argue against someone preferring the more traditional/less segmented overworld of TP, but from a story/gameplay perspective I think it's clearly inferior to SS. I don't like motion controls when they could just as easily be mapped to a button, and I can barely remember a single thing that happened in that game despite playing it twice.
post #189 of 220 Old 01-20-2012, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

The events after beating the third boss and leaving the dungeon is easily my favorite moment of the game, never before has a video game made me feel so.... It is hard to describe, epic and heart wrenching come to mind. And without actually caring for the characters, then it wouldn't have meant anything.

I also loved how the villain was an ever present pain in the rear.

Here is how wished the final boss would have gone down.
Spoiler  
The demise final boss really did need another form, especially since we could save before it right after the final fight against his sword (nice touch on who he really was) a hulking beast form of raw power would have been great, maybe with a Shadow of the Collossus element to it, and I might have felt more involved if the fight took place in Skyloft and not an isolated dueling ground. (Just imagine fighting Demise in the town square with the entire town watching from behind a flame wall, cheering and screaming as you fought him, then the terror as a monster form rises from the clouds to do battle with you (similar to the fight against the sky whale, thus bringing the bird into the mix) yes, I know the sealed grounds fights were against a monter form of him, but that was a sealed version, give us a real beast form.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #190 of 220 Old 01-27-2012, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain77 View Post

The old woman in the sacred realm at the start of the forest.

I kept forgetting to come back and thank you for the tip. So...thanks.
Doug
post #191 of 220 Old 01-29-2012, 08:11 PM

Wow. The second imprisoned battle is ridiculously hard. I'm so frustrated and sick of trying to beat this boss. I think this is it for me with SS.
post #192 of 220 Old 01-29-2012, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

The third is worse. He has wings. But the final blow is epic. The canon is the key to victory.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #193 of 220 Old 01-30-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlueTJ View Post

Wow. The second imprisoned battle is ridiculously hard. I'm so frustrated and sick of trying to beat this boss. I think this is it for me with SS.

If you know the technique, the Imprisoned battles are relatively easy. I found the third Imprisoned battle easier than the second. They're a bit of a pain during the boss run because of not being able to replenish hearts between bosses, however. The key is...

Spoiler  

... when the Imprisoned is taking each step, the impact of each sends out an electric wave. As each wave approaches you, nullify it with a shield bash.
post #194 of 220 Old 01-30-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow, I had NO idea about the tip in the spoiler. That would've made things much easier, as my strategy was just running in like a madman, wildly slashing whatever was in reach. I did find it easier to approach the boss from the front, since then even if the electric wave hits you he'll still likely be in reach by the time you recover.

And actually, the Imprisoned fights totally saved me on the boss run, because in those fights there's plenty of hearts to be found around the arena, and in all but the third version of the fight you have ample time to run around and get them, especially if you disable one foot first.

Edit: Apparently there's a much easier way to take on the Imprisoned:
Spoiler  
You can leap off the ledges and jump on his head! And from there you can hit the stone thingie directly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRfmkDaCHwE
I don't know how that never occurred to me.
post #195 of 220 Old 02-06-2012, 10:10 PM

I'll feel comfortable playing this..

..as soon as I finish OoT3D
post #196 of 220 Old 02-07-2012, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I've played through to the volcano dungeon, where I've put the game on hold. My plate is just too full and I want to clear some of the other games off of my plate before going back to Zelda.

Nerd World Problems, I guess.
post #197 of 220 Old 02-21-2012, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 197
I just returned to this myself this weekend and am approaching the part where the game-breaking bug is, so I have to be careful to do it in the right order I guess.

Speaking of boss battles, I absolutely loved the recent miniboss:

Spoiler  
where you were on the Sandship fighting the Pirate King. It isn't anything all that new in terms of attack methods, but it still was pretty entertaining.

The boss of that area was less fun and more annoying, I thought, because of the reliance on the nunchuck flick to make that item ready faster.

One thing I do like a lot too is the organic way in which they're sort of teaching new techniques that I hadn't thought about for that become more necessary in dungeons.

Two examples off the top of my head from a late point in the game:

Spoiler  

First, there's an area surrounded by lava rocks that you can clawshot into. Once you do that, it seems like you're stuck there, but there's a pile of dust there as well... which means you figure out that you should blow that away, and discover that the wind also is affecting the lava rocks.

And then secondly, there was an area with the plants with water in them where you see one hanging right behind a small circular opening. That obviously makes you think of stabbing, no matter what it is, and you figure out that those plants get stuck on your sword like a pumpkin does, and can be flicked at the basins, an important mechanic in the dungeon.

Of course, at 40 hours or so in, the game had better quit with the hand-holding tutorials the whole way through, so I guess it's not that big an accomplishment.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #198 of 220 Old 02-21-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

One thing I do like a lot too is the organic way in which they're sort of teaching new techniques that I hadn't thought about for that become more necessary in dungeons.

I liked that a lot, too. It's one of the biggest areas of improvement of this game over its most recent predecessors. You just know that in a previous installment Midna (or whoever) would've all but told you how to do that and what item to use, while the camera zoomed in over-obviously.

It reminded me of an interview I read with Shigeru Miyamoto I read a while back that detailed the insane amount of thought that went into designing the first two screens of the original Super Mario Bros. The item blocks, bricks, pipe, and goomba are all positioned to subtly teach a new player how all the game's mechanics work before they even jump over that first green pipe. Ever since reading that article I can't help but see this kind of "sneaky teaching" in all Nintendo games.
post #199 of 220 Old 02-28-2012, 01:58 PM

Finished first time through, no hylian shield - most gratitude crystals. However, I'm going through here mode now and can't get the last five crstals. Missing the 5 from getting the retired mogma to plow. Almost certain I did it first time through.

I visit the mogma down the shaft, he talks about living in the clouds, visit the little girl who needs the pumpkin patch plowed ... but no love between the two to get the crystals.

Only part I haven't completed is the freaking song in the pumpkin restaurant at night. Wicked PITA.... Do I have to do that to open up those last five crystals?

Have a good one,

neomaine
post #200 of 220 Old 03-04-2012, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 197
I finally beat this myself (had to do it before Mass Effect 3 comes out or I never would), and totally agree on the boss fight being anti-climactic.

And that lame thing they threw in there to explain why all of these Links and Zeldas have to fight evil was just dumb.

Spoiler  
Paraphrasing, but "Those with the blood of the goddess will be cursed forever to fight incarnations of me."

Just stupid, they should leave that alone, just like the 'official timeline' garbage.

I ended up being more of a completionist in this than in any other Zelda games though. I got all the gratitude crystals (because that was more fun helping the people; in OoT I would only get enough Skulltulas for the wallet, and quit because that was so boring), all the goddess cubes, and all heart pieces except for 3.

...Which basically, since I had 5 or 6 bottles with Heart++ potion, and 19 hearts, was entirely overkill for the weak final boss.

Still, I really liked the game a lot. I'd probably put this in the top 5 Zelda games, which might not sound like much, but still better than most other games out there. Too many good ones to really pick a specific order, but I'd say it's better than Windwaker, since it took the expressions of the characters from that one to a whole new level, a little below LTTP and OoT, and better than Twilight Princess.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #201 of 220 Old 05-11-2012, 10:02 AM

Liked: 93
If you have a Fred Meyer near you, Skyward Sword is $25 right now. It's a sale through Saturday the 12th apparently. I almost grabbed it, but then I would also need to grab a Motion Plus. Besides, I'm betting that it will be re-released fairly early on in the Wii U library, as we saw with Pikmin and Metroid from Gamecube to Wii, hopefully in HD.

But for now, that's a pretty damn good deal.
post #202 of 220 Old 05-11-2012, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Wasn't it $20 at toys r us just a week ago?

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #203 of 220 Old 08-13-2012, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

FYI, Best Buy currently has an offer for reward zone gamers club members (free to join) that gives a $35 discount on Skyward Sword, bringing the price down to $15. It expires 8/18.
post #204 of 220 Old 08-14-2012, 02:40 AM

Liked: 93
I'm still holding out for the Wii U version.
post #205 of 220 Old 08-14-2012, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
what I wouldn't give for a Wii U version that just uses the new Wii U pad without motion controls. I know it's not going to happen, but a boy can dream.
post #206 of 220 Old 08-14-2012, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccidenT View Post

FYI, Best Buy currently has an offer for reward zone gamers club members (free to join) that gives a $35 discount on Skyward Sword, bringing the price down to $15. It expires 8/18.

I bought this one for $25, but at $15 I might pick this up just to give as a gift. Dayum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

I'm still holding out for the Wii U version.

I'm fearful for the future of Zelda and Metroid on WiiU... my brain keeps telling me I'll see "Hold the WiiU gamepad up to scan for XX!" every 30 seconds. I think scanning ala Metroid Prime could be good, as would an active map and inventory screen setup like the DS Zeldas, but the idea of forcing requiring players to use the gamepad for glorified panorama viewing and pixel hunt sounds sucky (the zoom/scope on ZombiU would be an exception, IF you can still move and see your surroundings on the main screen while using it).

For reference, I don't get what I couldn't do just as well with Wiimotes in Zelda: Battle Quest (one of the NintendoLand levels) shown here. Replace "right thumbstick" with "B button" and you're all set. He's the player in the bottom left of the main screen, BTW. Notice he doesn't move his character, too, it's all auto.
post #207 of 220 Old 08-15-2012, 01:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Hope they sell that by itself instead of bundling it in. Got no interest in paying in part for that product just to get a Wii U.
post #208 of 220 Old 08-15-2012, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Yeah just like how they sold Wii Tennis and Wii Swords separately. It's basically going to happen.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #209 of 220 Old 09-30-2014, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 565
So, the sole reason I hadn't pitched my wii after beating new super Mario brothers ages ago was my desire to play this game. It's been sitting in the box untouched for literally years now and I finally broke it out last weekend to give it a go. After the initial shock of low-res AA (I forgot how bad the wii looked) I settled into the game and started learning the mechanics. I was never really sold on the motion controls and barely ever touched the wii but I was having enough fun splitting logs in the early going that I was able to survive the JRPG levels of dialogue and plodding pace of the early story.

As I progressed the tempo picked up and I started to actually have a little fun as I delved into the game's first dungeon-- sky view temple I believe. And then I got to the Kefka wanna-be... Holy ****.

So the problem with the wii motion controls is they aren't that accurate and what is supposed to make you feel part of the world ends up alienating you from it as you are constantly wrestling with the damn motion plus. I find that you have to have the patience of a saint in order to move the controller quickly enough to position it for a strike against a defending opponent but not quickly enough that the wii thinks your repositioning IS the swipe! Long story short, that first boss pissed me off beyond belief. It feels like an excercise in patience as I wrestle with the control to get it to do what I want-- turns out chopping inanimate logs was about the limit of my skill with the magic wand. After the 100th time that stupid blue fairy popped up amidst the constant beeping of my low health to tell me that, surprise, I had low health I was done. Seriously. What a load of crap. I literally can't play this game and this is coming from a died in the wool Zelda fan. Goodbye wii, you won't be missed.
post #210 of 220 Old 10-01-2014, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't recall having those problems w/ the Motion Plus, and I thoroughly enjoyed Skyward Sword. But, many other people share your opinion, so I'm not discounting it.
Reply Nintendo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page