Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #211 of 218 Old 10-02-2014, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ThisOneKidMongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 2,631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Yeah, I was surprised by the number of people who had frustrating experiences with the motion controls in Skyward Sword, because other than a couple sections (including the one sage11x was talking about), it worked for me about 95% of the time. I'm going to miss that in Zelda games going forward, I think. I recently played Wind Waker HD, and though it remains one of my favorite installments in the series, going back to button-based sword combat felt rather primitive.
jhoff80 likes this.
ThisOneKidMongo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #212 of 218 Old 10-02-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brighton, MI
Posts: 2,516
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 540
If there was a way to play this game with a controller I would be oh so happy. I enjoyed the little bit I played and I can see what they were going in the controls they just didn't work for me. I found much more succes just violently wagging the remote out in front of me than actually taking the time to line up strikes. All this frustration was compounded by the fact that I had to 'recalibrate' the remote every 10 min or so.

I don't know. I'm willing to believe that I just suck at wii as I get trounced in wii sports by just about every 'non-gamer' I know. Maybe my brain is just programmed to a button only world? In either case it's a shame because I would have liked to play this. This marks the second time Nintendo has forced a control scheme into a game that ultimately led to me quitting out of frustration: the first was metroid prime and it's silly refusal to offer tried and true FPS controls in an FPS game.
sage11x is offline  
post #213 of 218 Old 10-02-2014, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
voodoozen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 866
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
If there was a way to play this game with a controller I would be oh so happy. I enjoyed the little bit I played and I can see what they were going in the controls they just didn't work for me. I found much more succes just violently wagging the remote out in front of me than actually taking the time to line up strikes. All this frustration was compounded by the fact that I had to 'recalibrate' the remote every 10 min or so.

I don't know. I'm willing to believe that I just suck at wii as I get trounced in wii sports by just about every 'non-gamer' I know. Maybe my brain is just programmed to a button only world? In either case it's a shame because I would have liked to play this. This marks the second time Nintendo has forced a control scheme into a game that ultimately led to me quitting out of frustration: the first was metroid prime and it's silly refusal to offer tried and true FPS controls in an FPS game.
I'm one of those that really enjoy the motion controls- MPT is, for me, the best singe video game disc ever produced. I played MP1 & MP2 on Gamecube and had trouble with the controls, but as soon as I booted up MP3 I was hooked. It might also be because I suck terribly at dual analog controls for FPS... which is why I never got into Halo or CoD.

I found the controls in SS to be great if you stayed with subtle movements, the times where I was fighting furiously I would overreact and my movements would be all over the place. It's worth keeping on trying, though, the world is essentially one big puzzle and the dungeons are top shelf.

Swimming motion, though... that was tedious. I hope that never returns


Have you tried Red Steel 2? It was probably the best use of motion in a FPS. Melee combat was a blast, especially after you were powered up. You were god-like.
voodoozen is offline  
post #214 of 218 Old 10-02-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jhoff80's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,171
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 187
I seem to recall having better luck myself if I was slow and deliberate- twisting the controller into the right position, and then making a broad swipe. But yeah it was never as frustrating for me as it sounds like it is for you.


I wonder out of curiosity though, if you're using an add-on Motion Plus, or a Wii Remote + with it built in? I only used the latter for Skyward Sword.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
jhoff80 is online now  
post #215 of 218 Old 10-02-2014, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brighton, MI
Posts: 2,516
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen View Post
I'm one of those that really enjoy the motion controls- MPT is, for me, the best singe video game disc ever produced. I played MP1 & MP2 on Gamecube and had trouble with the controls, but as soon as I booted up MP3 I was hooked. It might also be because I suck terribly at dual analog controls for FPS... which is why I never got into Halo or CoD.

I found the controls in SS to be great if you stayed with subtle movements, the times where I was fighting furiously I would overreact and my movements would be all over the place. It's worth keeping on trying, though, the world is essentially one big puzzle and the dungeons are top shelf.

Swimming motion, though... that was tedious. I hope that never returns


Have you tried Red Steel 2? It was probably the best use of motion in a FPS. Melee combat was a blast, especially after you were powered up. You were god-like.
Unfortunatley after this I have little interest in playing any more blurry wii games. The sad fact is there are plenty of fun games and I have 5 or 6 that I've bought that I have yet to have had a chance to play: God of War Ascension, Last of Us, Dead Space 3, Abyss Odyssey, Darksiders 2 and I'm still in the middle od a co-op mission in Lara Croft Guardians of Light. I really wanted to play this latest Zelda as I've been a huge fan since the original but I just can't justify forcing myself to play something this frustrating when there are other options begging for my time.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
sage11x is offline  
post #216 of 218 Old 10-02-2014, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Leo_Ames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Sounds like your best bet will be hoping to see this get the HD treatment like Wind Waker has received this generation.

Chances are if this ever resurfaces down the road such as on their next generation hardware, it would at the very least offer optional traditional control functionality with the motion craze having died down.



As Dolphin screenshots show, it's quite a good looking game when rendered directly into HD. And that's just lifting the constraints of SD. Nintendo would surely do what they did with Wind Waker and take it a step forward with texture upgrades, lighting enhancements, etc.

I hope to see that and Twilight Princess be brought up to the standards of Wind Waker HD, eventually. But I don't see any chance of it happening on the Wii U with it probably close to reaching its halfway mark before replacement and with the Wii U well stocked with Zelda content via the Virtual Console, backwards compatibility, a spin-off, an HD remaster, and an original Zelda on the way.

But maybe the next time out.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 10-02-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Leo_Ames is online now  
post #217 of 218 Old 10-02-2014, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brighton, MI
Posts: 2,516
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
I seem to recall having better luck myself if I was slow and deliberate- twisting the controller into the right position, and then making a broad swipe. But yeah it was never as frustrating for me as it sounds like it is for you.


I wonder out of curiosity though, if you're using an add-on Motion Plus, or a Wii Remote + with it built in? I only used the latter for Skyward Sword.
I used the gold + remote that came with the game.
sage11x is offline  
post #218 of 218 Old 10-06-2014, 08:06 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
So the problem with the wii motion controls is they aren't that accurate and what is supposed to make you feel part of the world ends up alienating you from it as you are constantly wrestling with the damn motion plus. I find that you have to have the patience of a saint in order to move the controller quickly enough to position it for a strike against a defending opponent but not quickly enough that the wii thinks your repositioning IS the swipe! Long story short, that first boss pissed me off beyond belief. It feels like an excercise in patience as I wrestle with the control to get it to do what I want-- turns out chopping inanimate logs was about the limit of my skill with the magic wand. After the 100th time that stupid blue fairy popped up amidst the constant beeping of my low health to tell me that, surprise, I had low health I was done. Seriously. What a load of crap. I literally can't play this game and this is coming from a died in the wool Zelda fan. Goodbye wii, you won't be missed.
I don't know if I'd go that far but I'm definitely with you in that I feel that the motion controls ruined this game (and the Wii version of Twilight Princess). While I'm capable of using the motion controls, I feel that I can't relax when playing it. I really have to force myself to play this game and I'm a big Zelda fan. I gave up after the first dungeon. Maybe I'll try it again one day. I've been playing Twilight Princess instead lately but thankfully I was able to find a Gamecube version.

I was very pleased to see that Wind Waker HD went back to traditional controls, like the original, and only use motion where appropriate.
foobarbazqux is offline  
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off