Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 208 Old 08-29-2011, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Starting a new thread since our old one is a bit out of date (still says 2010 in the title!).

Some news:
  • Launch Date - Nov 20 NA (Nov 18 EU/PAL)
  • Requires Wii Motion+
  • Bundle available for $69.99 starting at launch, includes a gold wiimote+ and CD of the Zelda 25th anniversary orchestra concerts.

Boxart (well, that and the budle stuff)

Trailer (from E3)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLkZwhhGJZ8

And a couple of screenshots:

-vdz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 208 Old 08-29-2011, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
*Sigh* There's no way I'm going to be able to stop myself from buying that $70 bundle, is there.
post #3 of 208 Old 08-29-2011, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I don't have any + remotes, only two with the detachable MotionPlus, so the bundle is slightly tempting for me as well.

I've been avoiding any information about the game, as I usually do with titles like this that I am certain I'll buy, but I can't wait.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #4 of 208 Old 08-29-2011, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I have one Wiimote+, bought when FlingSmash was on sale for like $25, but I've yet to really use it for any games requiring Motion+. Including FlingSmash. And I'm not even expecting to like this Zelda terribly much. But yeah, gold remote with little Hylian crest on it, sold. I'm dorky enough to be interested in the CD as well.
post #5 of 208 Old 08-29-2011, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

I have one Wiimote+, bought when FlingSmash was on sale ...

gold remote with little Hylian crest on it, sold. I'm dorky enough to be interested in the CD as well.

Yes...
and yes. Me too.

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
post #6 of 208 Old 08-29-2011, 11:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Ugghh Ive got two motion plus snap-ons and I still want that gold junk

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #7 of 208 Old 08-29-2011, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

At least when I end up being a sucker and getting that gold remote, it will be compatible with the Wii U.

post #8 of 208 Old 08-30-2011, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

At least when I end up being a sucker and getting that gold remote, it will be compatible with the Wii U.

That's how I'll be justifying it too, but yeah, I'd be buying it even if for some reason it was only compatible with Zelda games.

In all seriousness though, an extra $20 for a Wiimote+ (let alone a special edition one) and a CD ain't a bad deal. I'm surprised they're not asking for $80, as they could totally get away with it.
post #9 of 208 Old 08-30-2011, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

By the way, is it just me or did anyone else see a little 'homage' to Majora and Tingle in the background of that cover art? (I could be completely off my rocker...)

Majora:

Tingle:
post #10 of 208 Old 08-30-2011, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

...aliens also try to contact you through your fillings, right?

That is some sweet box art, though.
post #11 of 208 Old 08-30-2011, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

...aliens also try to contact you through your fillings, right?

Maybe.

Also, I'm just glad I was too broke back when this came out:

post #12 of 208 Old 08-30-2011, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh, god. I didn't even know that existed. I retroactively want that. This thread has made me realize I'd buy gold-everything as far as videogame hardware and accessories go.
post #13 of 208 Old 08-30-2011, 08:04 AM

Liked: 12
I wish a retailer would release more info for pre-ordering. Everyone is hush, hush about the bundle. Just hope they don't try to hogart the goodies!
post #14 of 208 Old 08-30-2011, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Not to completely derail us, but...

Looking back, I realize that Nintendo has always been happy to take my money in exchange for their golden Zelda stuffs. The gold DS is nice

And I never knew these existed at the time:

Limited edition Minish Cap:

of course, the reason for our goldlust, which I sadly never owned...

Seeing this, I think its time I start playing some Zeldas. I haven't played one in a loooong time... I really need to finish Minish Cap. And Link's Awakening. And TP. Dammit.
post #15 of 208 Old 08-30-2011, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh right, I remember being severely tempted by that gold GBA SP despite already having the silver one. I still contend that's their best-looking hardware ever. Such a perfect, pleasing, functional design, and actually fits in your pocket semi-comfortably.
post #16 of 208 Old 08-31-2011, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen View Post

Seeing this, I think its time I start playing some Zeldas. I haven't played one in a loooong time... I really need to finish Minish Cap. And Link's Awakening. And TP. Dammit.

I pulled the trigger on downloading Link's Awakening DX yesterday. Always meant to play it, now I finally have the chance. Man, it is already so good. This is how a Zelda game should be. I actually want to explore and find things, not "Oh, god, now I have to find a fish and take it to THIS guy, who'll give me a banana to take to my grandma, and THEN I can get my sword." It also looks much better than I anticipated. I sort of laugh at the concept of the Game Boy Color, since it literally had like 16 colors, but turns out, when you can make the ocean blue, trees green/brown, and Link green, it really is a lot more pleasing than the original black-and-piss-green GB tones.

That said, there are a lot of frustrations in the game, such as the insane way you access the save menu (press A/B/select/start all at once, which is extra difficult on the 3DS), but they give you one save state so that's mostly negated. But I can't believe how incredibly bush league it is that literally every time I brush a rock or a pot without the bracelet equipped, I have to scroll through a way-too-slow-and-long message that reads "Oh, no! This is way too heavy to lift with your bare hands! You need something to help you lift this!" EVERY TIME. I've already taken to leaving the bracelet on the B button just to minimize the amount of times I read this message.

Also, in general, far most than most Nintendo properties, Zelda games really, really benefit from the amount of buttons on a modern controller. I'm really looking forward to playing a Zelda game on the Wii U, since the tablet controller means I'll basically never have to access the item menu.
post #17 of 208 Old 09-02-2011, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

Bru your uncle DIED to give you that sword and shield. I think the quest is a fair exchange for his health and safety.

post #18 of 208 Old 09-03-2011, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can't believe how incredibly bush league it is that literally every time I brush a rock or a pot without the bracelet equipped, I have to scroll through a way-too-slow-and-long message that reads "Oh, no! This is way too heavy to lift with your bare hands! You need something to help you lift this!" EVERY TIME. I've already taken to leaving the bracelet on the B button just to minimize the amount of times I read this message.

Yeah, that bugs the hell out of me too. That and the Guardian Acorn and the Power thing, those always felt unnecessary to me as well (and also forced you through slow messages, I believe). There's another type of block that does the same thing too, which I'm sure you'll discover eventually.

That being said, I think I'd put it in my top 3, with OoT and LTTP. I'm hoping that maybe they put out the Capcom GBC Zelda games on the 3DS Virtual Console too, but hopefully they do away with that insane password linkage system for something more modern that lets you just use the save file already stored on the SD card.

post #19 of 208 Old 09-04-2011, 02:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 199
I don't remember a gold Nintendo 64. I'm surprised since I was a regular follower of IGN64 during the time (And they'd pretty much cover everything possible back then for the platform due to relatively little that had to be covered, unlike websites trying to cover any of the platforms of today). I just remember gold controllers being available.

This is the GBA I'd of loved to have gotten. This modified with the backlit screen that was added to the SP later on would be my ideal handheld.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow View Post
Bru your uncle DIED to give you that sword and shield. I think the quest is a fair exchange for his health and safety.
The only uncle in a Zelda game that I remember is in Link to the Past. So if that's what you're referring to, your uncle doesn't die at the beginning, he just passes out after giving you his sword and shield. Go to 3:12 in this YouTube video for evidence of that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JU0C_l4aac
post #20 of 208 Old 09-04-2011, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

That being said, I think I'd put it in my top 3, with OoT and LTTP.

Well, haven't finished the game yet, but so far I'd agree with you. It's not as refined as LTTP, but it also has a bit of that great NES-style "F___ you, figure it out" difficulty that's missing from all the later games. There are some rough edges to it but I think it's my perfect level of signposting. No handholding but they don't often leave you completely in the dark, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

This is the GBA I'd of loved to have gotten. This modified with the backlit screen that was added to the SP later on would be my ideal handheld.

Oh yeah, that's an awesome one. I had a Famicom growing up though, so this is the GBA I really wanted (ridiculously limited-edition though):
post #21 of 208 Old 09-04-2011, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Oh yeah, that's an awesome one. I had a Famicom growing up though, so this is the GBA I really wanted (ridiculously limited-edition though):

Humina humina humina humina...

FWIW, my GBA Micro, which is legally the coolest handlheld in history of forever:

Well, until these are real:

post #22 of 208 Old 09-06-2011, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i still have my limited edition Zelda OoT golden game. might pick this one up to complete my golden collection

Never knew about the N64 too... not very ... beautiful....
post #23 of 208 Old 09-10-2011, 12:28 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen View Post

Not to completely derail us, but...

Looking back, I realize that Nintendo has always been happy to take my money in exchange for their golden Zelda stuffs. The gold DS is nice

And I never knew these existed at the time:

Limited edition Minish Cap:

of course, the reason for our goldlust, which I sadly never owned...

I wanted to play some too, but I am trying to starve myself of zelda until this release. I've refrained from playing any zelda game since completing TP close to its release.

Would have liked to play ALL zelda games in this anniversary year, but it would take away from the magic of this upcoming game I think.
post #24 of 208 Old 09-10-2011, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

all this gold stuff is weird
the only thing that's gold in zelda is the triforce

post #25 of 208 Old 09-12-2011, 01:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow View Post
all this gold stuff is weird
the only thing that's gold in zelda is the triforce
Considering that the TriForce is the source of power in the Zelda world and is often the central item related to the plot of most of the console entries in the series (Either protecting it or portions of it, capturing it back, etc.), I don't see why you'd be confused. What's more important in the Zelda universe than the TriForce? The only other color anyone might even associate with this series is green, and somehow I doubt a green colored special edition that matches his clothing would have nearly the same impact on consumers...

I just wish it didn't have the Skyward Sword logo on it. Just Zelda in it's traditional font or a TriForce would've looked far better. That logo just doesn't look very good, if you ask me.
post #26 of 208 Old 09-12-2011, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Wasn't the story that in LTTP at least, the Triforce existed in a "Golden Realm" until Ganon got his hands on it and it became the Dark World?

That's enough of an explanation for me (ie I never really cared why, I just wanted the gold stuff ).

post #27 of 208 Old 09-12-2011, 12:44 PM

Liked: 10
I need to invent a machine to send me into the zelda world.

By the way, I do think the look of this game is going to bother me big time. yeah graphics themselves don't matter, but style does. I liked wind waker, but its style is aprt of why I have never played it a second time. And this is too cartoony yet again. I'm not saying this because I think it's "kiddie" or anything, but it just looks bad and un-zelda-like.
post #28 of 208 Old 09-12-2011, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Personally, style is why I've played Windwaker 3 times without complaining about the visuals ever. Of course, what's kept me from finishing it more than once is the tedious treasure hunting at the end, but I love the look of it.

(Not that I didn't really like the look of Twilight Princess either, but I don't think it has to be one or the other, both had amazing art style which was a good way to cover any technical deficiencies of the systems they were on.)

post #29 of 208 Old 09-12-2011, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

So what I'm getting from this discussion is that jhoff has great taste, and midnight77 has terrible taste.

For my money, Wind Waker looks stylish, unique and lively, and amazingly even kinda holds up in the HD era. Twilight Princess looks sterile and generic and brown. Skyward Sword looks like a nice middle ground visually (even if leaning way more toward TP than WW) -- mostly realistic base, but the painting-like quality gives it a bit more flair. And with like, colors.
post #30 of 208 Old 09-12-2011, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight77 View Post

I need to invent a machine to send me into the zelda world.

Actually, it's the art style that makes me think this won't suck. The visual creativity of WW seemed to go hand in hand with trying something new (sailing), on some level this could be a little hint that Nintendo is trying to break free from a few of the old LoZ conventions.
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page