Thinking of Selling my Wii...Should I or Shouldn't I? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 09-19-2011, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am on the fence with this. I even had it up on eBay for a short time then took it down out of fear of regret. I have always been a big Zelda fan ever since the original came out for NES back in the late 80's when I was about 5. I bought the Wii only to play Zelda TP when it first came out in 2006, I was 23 then and felt kind of too old for this, but went through with it anyway. I beat the game and that was it. For nearly 5 years now my wii has been sitting on my TV stand collecting dust unused. No other titles ever appealed to me like Zelda. So I waited for the next Wii Zelda to come out, also contemplating selling as time went by. Now I'm 28 and after 5 years I am kind of "over" it, or at least I thought I was. I popped in TP again today just to test the system out and found myself wanting to play it again. A part of me says sell it, move on and grow up or keep it and get SS. I guess I'm just curious to here opinions or similar situations from any of you guys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-19-2011, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 204
If you want to know what I'd do, I'd keep it and buy Skyward Sword. I'm also 28 and don't see any reason why I should stop enjoying videogames. It ceased long ago to be an activity that only children participated in. It's just another form of electronic entertainment just like music, television shows, and movies are. Nothing unusual about a male in his late 20's enjoying a good console game.

As long as it doesn't interfere with your real-life responsibilities, I don't get why you'd feel guity enjoying a videogame. I imagine the average age of a gamer on the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 is right about where we are. And if you're looking at videogaming as broad as possible, we're both well below the average age of a videogame player.

I say enjoy it and get over this sense that you shouldn't enjoy this hobby because you're in your late 20's. You're going to get more enjoyment out of playing through Skyward Sword on it than you would selling it and getting a small portion back of what you paid for it (And there's plenty of other Zelda action to be had on it via backwards compatibility with the GameCube and the Wii's Virtual Console).

A Wii with Twilight Princess isn't going to fetch you much off Ebay or Craigslist these days. Unless you absolutely have zero interest in enjoying it ever again (And clearly, you do have some interest or you wouldn't of posted this), I think it makes more sense to keep it and try to enjoy it.

Here's some other Zelda action that is available to you on the Wii, if you're interested and it helps sway your decision (Every console Zelda title is here, other than those non Nintendo developed or published CD-I atrocities from the sillborn SuperNes cd expansion deal with Philips). Only the handheld games are unavailable (Too bad, Link's Awakening DX and The Minish Cap in particular would've made for fine downloadable releases on the Wii).

Legend of Zelda - NES (Virtual Console)
Zelda II - NES (Virtual Console)
A Link to the Past - SuperNes (Virtual Console)
Ocarina of Time - N64 (Virtual Console)
Majora's Mask - N64 (Virtual Console)
Link's Crossbow Training (Wii)
Wind Waker (GCN)
Four Swords (GCN)
Collector's Edition - Contains both of the NES games and both of the N64 games (GCN)
Ocarina of Time Master Quest - Includes Ocarina of Time and a new 2nd quest (GCN)
post #3 of 12 Old 09-20-2011, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

A Wii with Twilight Princess isn't going to fetch you much off Ebay or Craigslist these days. Unless you absolutely have zero interest in enjoying it ever again (And clearly, you do have some interest or you wouldn't of posted this), I think it makes more sense to keep it and try to enjoy it.

Quoted for truth.

It's worth less than $100 right now. Assuming you don't need to part with it for the money, there's zero harm in keeping it and enjoying the Wii's swan song with SS in a few months.

Plus Leo's right on here: keep it, invest $100 and make it your personal LoZ museum.
post #4 of 12 Old 09-20-2011, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Speaking as a video-gamer in his 40s, I can't imagine why you'd stop playing for fear of being 'too old' to play it. Wanting to enjoy a new Zelda game has nothing to do with maturity...it's a pleasant past-time, enjoyed by young and old alike. In point of fact, playing video games with my son is one way we bond. I suspect if you sold it now, you may end up regretting it later. Worst case scenario, I'd wait, get Skyward Sword and play it through...then if you see no future in playing it, sell it then.

Just don't expect a large amount of money for it. As the single best selling console this generation, there are a LOT of used Wiis out there. It's not a seller's market and hasn't been since 2007.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-20-2011, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

If you want to know what I'd do, I'd keep it and buy Skyward Sword. I'm also 28 and don't see any reason why I should stop enjoying videogames. It ceased long ago to be an activity that only children participated in. It's just another form of electronic entertainment just like music, television shows, and movies are. Nothing unusual about a male in his late 20's enjoying a good console game.

As long as it doesn't interfere with your real-life responsibilities, I don't get why you'd feel guity enjoying a videogame. I imagine the average age of a gamer on the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 is right about where we are.

I read somewhere recently that the average age of a gamer now is 37. At 28, you guys are practically spring chickens.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #6 of 12 Old 09-22-2011, 11:50 PM

I'm over 30 and I don't want to grow up. lol
post #7 of 12 Old 09-23-2011, 11:46 AM

Liked: 12
Almost 50 with no end in sight.
post #8 of 12 Old 09-23-2011, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
here's my trick: Procreate

Your gaming days can be extended infinitely by creating small clones of yourself through simple human reproduction, then teaching these clones that
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
mom is completely wrong, this won't rot your brain in the slightest, and
video games are a fantastic way to spend your time... once they jump in, they'll be more than happy to sink countless hours into the hobby -winking at you every time they have to "endure" another of dad's gaming sessions- and will later create even more miniature gamers just like you!

It's so perfect, some people even get paid to do it! Well, practice it, I guess.

post #9 of 12 Old 09-28-2011, 09:32 AM

Liked: 12
Let me tell you this. It won't sell for much. I sold a Wii for $80. People were bitchin and complaining that the price was too high. Seriously though, people are really stingy noawadys.

You are better off keeping the system and soft-modding it (if you can) and enjoy some classic gaming.

I do like the fact that I can play my GameCube games, which I still do time to time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 12 Old 09-28-2011, 09:49 AM

yeah people think everything should cost less than realistic prices. I have an old tv that i see for sale on Amazon and other palces for $500+ used and one of my relatives insists that it's not worth much because his mom sold a similar one to a pawn shop for like $80. first off, a pawn shop isn't who to judge value from... they are obviously not going to pay what something's worth. And also if multiple people are selling something for $500 and one person sells something for $80 it's more likely the $80 was not remotelty close to fair price.
post #11 of 12 Old 10-06-2011, 12:23 PM

I have two wiis (my wife's was barely used) she bought it when we started dating so she whip my butt in Tennis..I was considering selling hers but I suppose it's not worth it anymore.. It can serve as a back up to mine.
I agree I spent a year and a half playing Zelda and loved the adventure and there's only a couple of games I enjoy playing with the wii now...but i would keep it as part of your system collection. I am 32 and have too many other classic games I have not yet beaten...but I would keep your Wii and play the new Zelda!!! It will be the best game released in years on the wii.
post #12 of 12 Old 10-21-2011, 07:55 AM

Is it the franchise/gameplay that draws you to Zelda? If there it's any less then I'm not really sure you have explored video games beyond what you used to like. There are a TON of amazing games from the Gamecube era to now that I can guarantee you would enjoy. I just find it hard to believe it's the ONLY game that appeals to you. I say keep it unless you plan on buying a Wii U. If you do, I would probably sell it now as it will be Wii backwards compatible and there is really no reason to own a Wii at that point. In fact, pre owned Wii's will probably be going for $50 or less.

It looks from all fronts that Skyward Sword will be the definitive best Zelda game ever. I don't think this is an exaggeration, there is already a score of 98% out there from a reputable site and they said it's beyond amazing. 35+ hours for the main quest, double that if you want to find everything. It's supposed to be very difficult too which I welcome. I'm ignoring all the reviews because I don't want to be spoiled and be that much more blown away. This one will be on top of the all time best games ever created. This was practically a mission statement by Miyamoto, saying if this isn't the absolute best Zelda ever, they might consider letting it rest for a long time, possibly ever.

Unless you plan on re buying one later for $50, you DON'T want to sell it. Make sure your body is ready!!! Zelda SSword is the Zelda killer!
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page