Super Nintendo in SURROUND - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 10-22-2011, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I've had the experience of playing my Super Nintendo in surround before back when I had a Philips HTIB, but now that I have a kick-@ss system, I figured I'd hook up my Super Nintendo to my speakers.

Playing Super Mario World, even in stereo was awesome! The soundstage for even a game like that is huge. Going through each pipe and getting coins was just that more rewarding. I know it sounds goofy, but wondered if anyone had any games they played on a big system and thought it was amazing?

The system I ran it through was:
Pioneer VSX-920-K
Energy RC-50 mains
Energy RC-LCR center
Energy CR-10 rears
Energy RC-10 heights
Outlaw LFM-2 sub

For those looking into getting Energy speakers, or upgrading their current Energy setup, here are some reviews I've written that may help:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  (haven't updated in a while, but include Energy Take Classic 5.1, RC-10, CF-70, and CC-10)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 10-22-2011, 10:47 AM

Liked: 10
Great post. I was just thinking about the time when I brought home my new Ps1 and hooked it up to my new Yamaha rxv-2090 receiver. That was a good top range model with great DSP modes. There was a scene in Resident Evil where I was outside walking around a fountain and the sound of water would orient through my speakers as I walked around the fountain! Also, occasionally there would be a wolf call from one of the M&K thx150 surround speakers. It sounded like it was FAR in the distance. I was blown away. It added so much to the games. Since my SNES was attached to the crt tv with the rf/box thing I never had it directly attached to the Yamaha receiver. so I never heard the SNES through a good sound system but now you have me curious to try it!
post #3 of 31 Old 10-22-2011, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I had to hook my Wii up to it too since I had it hooked directly to my TV. Virtual Console games don't work through newer receivers so I hooked my Wii and SNES to the TV, then my TV to the receiver and now it works.

I played Zelda: Windwaker and that's another great one to try out. I have my system set to 7.1 and it's great because you hear the seagulls flying above you when you're in your boat, etc.

For those looking into getting Energy speakers, or upgrading their current Energy setup, here are some reviews I've written that may help:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  (haven't updated in a while, but include Energy Take Classic 5.1, RC-10, CF-70, and CC-10)

post #4 of 31 Old 10-24-2011, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macstatic View Post

I played Zelda: Windwaker and that's another great one to try out. I have my system set to 7.1 and it's great because you hear the seagulls flying above you when you're in your boat, etc.

I had the pleasure of experiencing Ocarina of Time in surround via the Collector's Edition on Wii, and it was wonderful. You can tell it was designed for stereo only, and in places it's a midi nightmare when cranked up, but the sound design holds up pretty well pouring through 5.1 surround. Jumping on Epona and riding while Gerudo Valley played in the background was awe inspiring.

[EDIT] I just realized I totally missed the intent of this topic (SNES)... I can't recall anything I've played on my SNES is all that impressive in surround, although Super Metroid, regardless of what sound system it plays on, will probably always get my vote
post #5 of 31 Old 10-24-2011, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen View Post

I had the pleasure of experiencing Ocarina of Time in surround via the Collector's Edition on Wii, and it was wonderful. You can tell it was designed for stereo only, and in places it's a midi nightmare when cranked up, but the sound design holds up pretty well pouring through 5.1 surround. Jumping on Epona and riding while Gerudo Valley played in the background was awe inspiring.

[EDIT] I just realized I totally missed the intent of this topic (SNES)... I can't recall anything I've played on my SNES is all that impressive in surround, although Super Metroid, regardless of what sound system it plays on, will probably always get my vote

It's all good. I should have made the thread Retro Nintendo in SURROUND...

I haven't played Ocarina on a sound system yet but I have it on my Wii ad a virtual console game so I should try it out now that it's hooked up. I've been playing WindWaker and I'm loving it (although that was designed with DPLII).

post #6 of 31 Old 10-24-2011, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Ocarina of Time supported three channel surround sound since launch in 1998. Majora's Mask did, as well.
post #7 of 31 Old 10-24-2011, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

Ocarina of Time supported three channel surround sound since launch in 1998. Majora's Mask did, as well.

REALLY? Well, poop...

Suffice to say my first time in the game was stereo (and SD CRT), three channel was light years (OK, 3 years) from my system setup in 1998. So at least I felt pleasantly surprised by a full surround setup, even if it was around a decade late

Oh, and I went through some of my SNES carts tonight because I'm a total nerd. On top I found Starfox, DKC, Addams Family, Metroid, Scooby Doo and Jurassic Park- and out of those Jurassic Park and DCK are pretty sweet, definitely better than the others.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
But they still sound like a midi nightmare- in 3 CHANNEL STEREO!

Seriously, there's a reason I rarely play this guy. SNES looks noticeably worse at 67".My childhood is ruined!
post #8 of 31 Old 10-24-2011, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hahaha How did you do that Spoiler box?

And I agree, the bigger you get the worse it looks. I was playing WindWaker on Gamecube and granted it's newer than the SNES but it's way out of focus. Made me nauseous at times because it felt like I had just had my eyes dialated at the eye doctor.

Another game I tried today on SNES... NBA JAM Fun game and even more fun with electronic music in surround LOL

Edit: I'm typing this on my iPod and I clicked the question mark logo to describe my post. My bad

post #9 of 31 Old 10-25-2011, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macstatic View Post

Hahaha How did you do that Spoiler box?

And I agree, the bigger you get the worse it looks. I was playing WindWaker on Gamecube and granted it's newer than the SNES but it's way out of focus. Made me nauseous at times because it felt like I had just had my eyes dialated at the eye doctor.

PHP Code:
[spoiler]text goes here[/spoiler
Yeah, I haven't had the SNES on in a while, and it's rough on the eyes. There's only one CRT in the house, I would bet Mrs. Zen might have something to say if I suddenly put the SNES in the bedroom...

I replayed SM a year or so ago, and it wasn't awful, after a while you get used to it like anything else. I think if I popped it in more often I'd be less stunned by the pixels.

BTW, I thought WW was pretty reasonable in 480p, but after seeing the screenshots of it running in the Dolphin emulator... I wish there was a true HiDef update. If you haven't seen it, t's stunning:

post #10 of 31 Old 10-25-2011, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wow that looks fantastic! When I play it on my TV the images are always super blurry until your character is 15 feet away from it or whatever. Kind of plays tricks on the mind.

post #11 of 31 Old 10-26-2011, 01:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Too bad that Wind Waker screenshot is stretched to 16:9 proportions. Lots of nice emulator shots of that game around, but it seems like every other person that takes a screenshot stretches it to 16:9 and distorts everything (Wind Waker was just 4:3, it had no widescreen mode).

Most of the picture quality complaints I see are probably from playing a non HD game on a HDTV. Switch to a nice SD CRT and games like Wind Waker and Link to the Past are as beautiful as ever.
post #12 of 31 Old 10-26-2011, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Too bad that Wind Waker screenshot is stretched to 16:9 proportions. Lots of nice emulator shots of that game around, but it seems like every other person that takes a screenshot stretches it to 16:9 and distorts everything (Wind Waker was just 4:3, it had no widescreen mode).

Most of the picture quality complaints I see are probably from playing a non HD game on a HDTV. Switch to a nice SD CRT and games like Wind Waker and Link to the Past are as beautiful as ever.

You're right! I remember playing this game on my CRT and it was alot clearer. Isn't there a way to switch the Wii (that I play my WW gamecube game on) to 4:3? If so I want to do that so I can get a more compact picture.

post #13 of 31 Old 10-26-2011, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

All the 16:9 setting on the Wii's dashboard does is trigger an anamorphic widescreen image in widescreen compatible Wii software.

It has zero effect on GameCube software (You turn widescreen on for GCN games that support it via an ingame menu, such as in F-Zero GX), Virtual Console games, 4:3 Wii software, etc.

And that anamorphic widescreen image is a 4:3 image that your television, using a stretch mode, fills your 16:9 display with to get it to look right. All you have to do to keep Wind Waker 4:3 is to turn off stretching on your HDTV (With a press of a button on your remote control) so it instead maintains the 4:3 image it's recieving rather than filling the screen with it.
post #14 of 31 Old 10-26-2011, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All the 16:9 setting on the Wii's dashboard does is trigger an anamorphic widescreen image in widescreen compatible Wii software.

It has zero effect on GameCube software (You turn widescreen on for GCN games that support it via an ingame menu, such as in F-Zero GX), Virtual Console games, 4:3 Wii software, etc.

And that anamorphic widescreen image is a 4:3 image that your television, using a stretch mode, fills your 16:9 display with to get it to look right. All you have to do to keep Wind Waker 4:3 is to turn off stretching on your HDTV (With a press of a button on your remote control) so it instead maintains the 4:3 image it's recieving rather than filling the screen with it.

Oh I didn't realize it was just my TV. I'll try that the next time I play it. I wouldn't mind playing it in 4:3 again. Probably would reduce the blurry images too a bit.

post #15 of 31 Old 10-26-2011, 08:37 PM

I didn't have surround sound back in 1994, but I did have a pretty kick @ss 2 channel system hooked up to my TV. I remember being in awe when I played LTTP and when I shot the beam from my sword, it panned across the soundfield from left to right. That is perhaps the moment that converted me to an AV nut. The Super Nintendo had some games that had great sound. There was a game called Super Turrican that had a phenomenal soundtrack (fully sampled orchestral music if I remember correctly), and a lot of the Interplay games had great music (Any one remember Rock n' Roll Racing?).

TWW resident bullet sponge
PSN: ThreeWulfMoon
post #16 of 31 Old 10-27-2011, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Super Turrican, eh? I haven't heard of it, but I'm gonna have to read up on it. I love Super Nes games, especially when they have fun music or sound effects

post #17 of 31 Old 10-27-2011, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Wes View Post

I didn't have surround sound back in 1994, but I did have a pretty kick @ss 2 channel system hooked up to my TV. I remember being in awe when I played LTTP and when I shot the beam from my sword, it panned across the soundfield from left to right. That is perhaps the moment that converted me to an AV nut. The Super Nintendo had some games that had great sound. There was a game called Super Turrican that had a phenomenal soundtrack (fully sampled orchestral music if I remember correctly), and a lot of the Interplay games had great music (Any one remember Rock n' Roll Racing?).

I have Rock n Roll Racing around here somewhere... I should get that out! I remember "Highway Star" being a great tune to race with. I loved that game back in the day, second in racing games only due to Mario Kart being so freeking awesome.

UPDATE: LTTP is sounding pretty good in full surround... There's some really nice stereo sound and it works fairly well interpolated as 5.1, and I honestly can't recall hearing the clear left/right/center dynamic before.

Probably because I didn't hear any of this before, but still... Nice just the same!!

-vdz
post #18 of 31 Old 11-18-2011, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen View Post

UPDATE: LTTP is sounding pretty good in full surround... There's some really nice stereo sound and it works fairly well interpolated as 5.1, and I honestly can't recall hearing the clear left/right/center dynamic before.

Probably because I didn't hear any of this before, but still... Nice just the same!!

-vdz

That's awesome! I am going to go pick up LTTP soon and I'm sure I'll love it. I never actually played to much of that game before, but it's on the Wii's Virtual Console so I'm gonna give it a try. I have my preorder on the next Zelda all set and I've beat WindWaker and Twilight Princess in 2 weeks (about a week per game). It might not seem impressive but with 2 jobs and a one year-old daughter it's tough to get much playing time.

post #19 of 31 Old 12-01-2011, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
No offense to the topic creator, but I really wouldn't call a $400 receiver and speakers you can get at Best Buy a "kick-ass" system.
post #20 of 31 Old 12-08-2011, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebEffect View Post

No offense to the topic creator, but I really wouldn't call a $400 receiver and speakers you can get at Best Buy a "kick-ass" system.

I love this thread talk. Just so happens, I had been feeling nostalgic lately. So the other day I went and hooked up all my old systems in my "mancave". Super NES, Sega Genesis, 3DO, PS, PS2, PS3, XBox, Gamecube, and N64. Favorite of all is the Super NES.

Just played some rock n roll racing. The music in that game blew me away the first time I heard it. Great game as well. Now, I'm looking to go back and buy some more used games. Sorry for straying off topic.

Mike
post #21 of 31 Old 12-08-2011, 06:22 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

That wasn't offensive.

It was just you making a jackass comment.
post #22 of 31 Old 01-06-2012, 11:47 AM

Liked: 19
2 words:

Chrono Trigger
post #23 of 31 Old 01-07-2012, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Quote:

Jeez, hate to hear what you would say about mine:

Onkyo 509; Cambridge MovieWorks mains, center channel II, surround II, BaseCube 10s; Xbox 360, PS3 Slim and Oppo 980 all connected via Monster HDMI; APC H15 Power Conditioner... oh and a lowly 46" 1080P Panasonic Plasma... 46pz I think?

I've been an enthusiast for many years. I live in an apartment and I work in a field that, while rewarding, will never allow me the financial freedom to buy a lot of the things I would lust after-- and beyond that I would probably hear it from the significant other if I tried!
My point is that your post accomplishes nothing other than to insult another member. It's unnecessary and more to the point it's rude. My mother-- maybe yours too-- used to say: "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"...

...pretty sure she got it from Bambi but who's counting...

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #24 of 31 Old 10-15-2012, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Well even if you cant afford it and u r an enthusiast u should know that 400 dollar system is not kick ass. Im not putting anyone down but thats just the way it is. I have 500 dollar amp and 1200 dollar surround speakers and i dont consider mine a kick ass system, and its definitely not. I have heard some 400 dollar packaged HT in a box that sounds pretty good to me, my friend has sony 8in. sub that is powered off the main amp and it puts out more bass than my 10in. JBL with its own 150 watt RMS amp but i used audssey setup it seems to really tone down the bass
post #25 of 31 Old 10-16-2012, 03:56 AM

Liked: 93
You seriously just dug up a thread that's been dead for a year specifically to troll the original poster?

Classy.

Reminder everyone: You have an ignore list. It's a fantastic place to put trolls! smile.gif
post #26 of 31 Old 10-16-2012, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb82 View Post

Well even if you cant afford it and u r an enthusiast u should know that 400 dollar system is not kick ass. Im not putting anyone down but thats just the way it is. I have 500 dollar amp and 1200 dollar surround speakers and i dont consider mine a kick ass system, and its definitely not. I have heard some 400 dollar packaged HT in a box that sounds pretty good to me, my friend has sony 8in. sub that is powered off the main amp and it puts out more bass than my 10in. JBL with its own 150 watt RMS amp but i used audssey setup it seems to really tone down the bass

post #27 of 31 Old 10-17-2012, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm pretty sure I've seen him do the exact same thing around here before. At the very least, there's one other person around here with poor grammar that enjoys bumping old threads to inform people that their sound systems aren't great and that his is.
post #28 of 31 Old 10-18-2012, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
not trolling seems like you guys are. I checked the date of the last person who posted on this topic and it was in 2012 so i replied. I did not say my system was good, and i also mentioned that 400 dollar all in one systems some of them sound pretty good. I dont see a reason to attack me

I came here in the first place for supernes surround sound discussion so why are u guys here if its old
post #29 of 31 Old 11-16-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

That picture of Wind Waker running on Dolphin emulator IS widescreen. Many games are able to run with 16:9 hack. Obviously the HUD will be stretched because those assets are set in stone but the actual rendered graphics are in 16:9. You can do the same thing with the Twilight Princess Gamecube .iso.
post #30 of 31 Old 11-18-2012, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I recommend Axelay on SNES. I really like the sound on that game. Plok has really good music.
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page