Picture doesn't fit screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 12-27-2011, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi there,

got a little problem. The picture I get from the Wii doesn't quite fit the screen, there are black borders all around the image. It doesn't matter whether I use component cables or the wii2hdmi adaptor.

The Wii is set to 480p and 16:9, the TV to 16:9 as well (Panasonic 50GW20). The same happens with my Eizo S2231W monitor (using the Wii2HDMI from neoya.com).

I'm using a PAL Wii as I live in Germany, bought it 3 weeks ago.

Does anyone have the same problem or does the Wii always put out a underscanned picture? It's also in every game, not only in the menu...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-27-2011, 01:23 PM

When setting my Wii to 16:9 the image is still outputted as 4:3 and I have to change the scaling setting on my TV and stretch it to fill the screen.
post #3 of 15 Old 12-27-2011, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

I set my tv to 16:9 so it stretches the picture to widescreen but there are borders all around the image, don't know if that's normal that I have to switch on overscan on the TV for the Wii.
post #4 of 15 Old 12-30-2011, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I've run into a similar problem with my wii - I'm not sure if it's "normal" for a wii, or if it's something my TV or receiver are doing.

My wii outputs 480p to my AVR. If the AVR outputs 1080p (AVR does the scaling), I get black borders. If I set the AVR to output 480p and let the TV do the scaling, there are no black borders.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-02-2012, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure it's the Wii now, as I've seen a few videos on youtube that show Wii gameplay through a capture card -> they have the same borders as I have.
Anyway I just turned on overscan and that's it, maybe I have 1 or 2 lines missing, doesn't matter.
I think I have to build a new PC for Wii emulation, Wii games look so much better when rendered in high resolutions.
post #6 of 15 Old 01-06-2012, 10:57 AM

Liked: 19
Most likely it's the use of HDMI and the scaling causing the problems. The best thing would be to plug the component cables from the Wii directly through the TV. That will probably fix all your problems.

I have a US Panny P42GT25 and I have had no issues but I have the Wii connected directly to the TV.

You could also try a new Wii component cable. It's probably not the issue but you never know.
post #7 of 15 Old 01-06-2012, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Nope it's not the HDMI, tried it with the Component Cables as well. I guess the Panasonic has problems stretching the anamorphic 4:3 picture to 16:9, I don't know why...
Have an old LG LCD that does it without problems. Still have a Dell Monitor to try on Sunday...
post #8 of 15 Old 01-06-2012, 11:38 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by slammerjam View Post

Nope it's not the HDMI, tried it with the Component Cables as well. I guess the Panasonic has problems stretching the anamorphic 4:3 picture to 16:9, I don't know why...
Have an old LG LCD that does it without problems. Still have a Dell Monitor to try on Sunday...

Now that think about it, I have a similar problem with my old PS2 and the plasma but I thought that was because the signal coming across the PS2 component cables was still interlaced.

Check your Wii again make sure that you have progresive scan (480P) turned on. If that doesn't work reset the TV to the factory settings then hit the "Format" button on the remote and make sure it's on "Full".
post #9 of 15 Old 01-06-2012, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

It is on 480p, have the same problem with my Eizo Monitor. The problem is, there is no "full" mode on the Panasonic, at least not on the German/European Model.
I'll try again tomorrow, but I don't think that anything will help at least on this Panny...
Doesn't bother me too much, as I will use the Wii on my Dell monitor in Munich (studying there...). Now I'm just hoping, that the Dell will give me the correct picture...
post #10 of 15 Old 01-14-2012, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 493
I have the exact same problem on my Panasonic plasma: regardless of which "size" setting I use (overscan setting) I still have a slim black border all the way around the screen.
It's still better than my old Olevia LCD! With that model I have a thick-- maybe 2-3 inches-- border that cannot be adjusted! This display has a 'feature' called "directors image" which keeps the display permanently zoomed out.

As far as I know this is normal for wii.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #11 of 15 Old 01-17-2012, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Just bought an LG 32LK430, as I'm living in Munich Monday to Friday.

It looks as this TV has no overscan at all and it also fills the screen properly when the Wii is connected.
Really like this TV, I'm using it as a monitor for my Macbook Pro atm.
post #12 of 15 Old 01-20-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

I have the exact same problem on my Panasonic plasma: regardless of which "size" setting I use (overscan setting) I still have a slim black border all the way around the screen.
It's still better than my old Olevia LCD! With that model I have a thick-- maybe 2-3 inches-- border that cannot be adjusted! This display has a 'feature' called "directors image" which keeps the display permanently zoomed out.

As far as I know this is normal for wii.

Ok, I just bought a new Panasonic 50" S30 and can confirm that the wii DOES fill the screen... Here's where it get's weird, when I hooked the wii back up to the 46" (in the other room) it now fills the the screen with zero border! I want to note that I changes none of my picture settings on the 46" and the display retained it's setting for the brief period it was unplugged.

No explanation but I'm happy.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #13 of 15 Old 02-17-2012, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Wii games set to 16:9 look crummy in comparison to 4:3, which is of course a Wii games 'native' resolution at 640x480. setting it to 16:9 just fuzzes out the image and makes it look softer as you're basically just filling in the sides of your HDTV with a Wii's games REALL full screen picture/resolution....Nothing's being added so the image takes a hit in quality pretty nicely. It's lousy in comparison to setting it to fullscreen. Based on many of my experiences, Wii games look gorgeous via component cables set to 4:3 on an LCD(when set properly)

Yet Plasma's don't looks as bad when set to 16:9, the difference is actually less noticable, but i'm guessing that's because plasma's are better at scaling, but they also boast a noiser less crisp/clean image than an LCD.
in 4:3 the LCD outshines my Plasma for Wii games that's for sure 'LCD motion handeling' aside.

Either way, if you want the best PQ possible for your Wii >

Use Nintendo Official Component Cables.
Select 'Full Screen' in Wii Menu.
Switch HDTV to 'Fullscreen' in Picture options

And whalla! Set the PQ settings to your desire, they obviously play a major roll in this. I own a 42" LK450 1080p LC and Wii games look stunning on my set....But i seriously miss my old crt's perfect motion handeling and ZERO lag....don't get me wrong the LK450 is a fantastic set to game on for non-HD gaming such as the Wii, but games that boast motion controls(be it pointer, tilt ect ect) the lag is a bit more noticable rather than playing something like Wario Land or Mega Man which work good enough for me. 16ms-20ms. For those types of games, it's fantastic, but when motion controls come into play there's a bit of a difference. you NEED every single MS you can get because it's true 1:1 gameplay and there is a difference.
post #14 of 15 Old 02-17-2012, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

Ok, I just bought a new Panasonic 50" S30 and can confirm that the wii DOES fill the screen... Here's where it get's weird, when I hooked the wii back up to the 46" (in the other room) it now fills the the screen with zero border! I want to note that I changes none of my picture settings on the 46" and the display retained it's setting for the brief period it was unplugged.

No explanation but I'm happy.

How's the input lag? I'm actually dieing to know how the Wii performs on the S30, X3 especially and ST30.

Most people talk about HD gaming in the AVS forums, but little do they know is that non HD consoles such as the wii for ex perform better on HDTV's input lag wise. And that's probably because there's no shnazzy HD processing going on.

On my LG LK450 LCD, wii games run great on the thing, PS3 games however....not so much.
post #15 of 15 Old 02-17-2012, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I have a 5-year-old Panasonic plasma, and the Wii fills the screen. It's connected w/ component cables, but I can't remember what mode I have the TV on for the Wii input.

Doug
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page