Super NES R.I.P. :( - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 37 Old 01-14-2012, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Leo_Ames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,488
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

The Xbox controllers-- even the S-- are a disaster (IMO) and either way they aren't suited to playing old school games like snes or nes.

The best pads for 2D are: snes, Saturn slim, or (in a pinch) the playstation controller. Anything else is rubbish!

I never liked Sony's d-pad design. I also love Sega's gamepads for the Genesis, although my favorite is the SuperNes design.

I loved the Controller S and their 360 controller design. They're perfect for 3D games, but I agree that they stink for 2D. Their d-pad design is just about the worst I've ever seen.
Leo_Ames is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 37 Old 01-14-2012, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brighton, MI
Posts: 2,545
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post


I never liked Sony's d-pad design. I also love Sega's gamepads for the Genesis, although my favorite is the SuperNes design.

I loved the Controller S and their 360 controller design. They're perfect for 3D games, but I agree that they stink for 2D. Their d-pad design is just about the worst I've ever seen.

The 360 controller has grown on me, it's a better compromise than the S it was based on. I actually always really liked the GameCube controllers and wished they had improved upon that design! Actual grips, more comfortable stick placement, outside-the-box face buttons that worked and straight pull triggers-- the only thing they really needed to do was fix the c stick for FPS (I never cared as I was still playing southpaw back then).

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
sage11x is offline  
post #33 of 37 Old 01-15-2012, 03:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Leo_Ames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,488
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

The 360 controller has grown on me, it's a better compromise than the S it was based on. I actually always really liked the GameCube controllers and wished they had improved upon that design! Actual grips, more comfortable stick placement, outside-the-box face buttons that worked and straight pull triggers-- the only thing they really needed to do was fix the c stick for FPS (I never cared as I was still playing southpaw back then).

What really did the 360 controller change based on the Controller S? To me, they feel and look pretty much the same, although I was happy to see the black and white buttons, which were all but useless on the Controller S, evolve into shoulder buttons that were actually able to be used in gameplay.

I like the GameCube controller, but it had several issues for me. I didn't like the triggers (The two stage design they went with made them difficult to manipulate through their full range of motion in racing games, they either were off, half depressed, or fully depressed), I didn't like the mini d-pad (Although at least it worked, unlike MS's design), the Z button was tacked on at the last minute and is in a very poor position, and I didn't care for the novel design of the buttons they went with. Still, it worked well enough and felt good to me.

I especially liked it in WaveBird form, although you lose controller rumble. Was a very nice wireless controller and I can't imagine playing GCN (Or many Wii games) without it.
Leo_Ames is offline  
post #34 of 37 Old 01-15-2012, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brighton, MI
Posts: 2,545
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post


What really did the 360 controller change based on the Controller S? To me, they feel and look pretty much the same, although I was happy to see the black and white buttons, which were all but useless on the Controller S, evolve into shoulder buttons that were actually able to be used in gameplay.

I like the GameCube controller, but it had several issues for me. I didn't like the triggers (The two stage design they went with made them difficult to manipulate through their full range of motion in racing games, they either were off, half depressed, or fully depressed), I didn't like the mini d-pad (Although at least it worked, unlike MS's design), the Z button was in a very poor position, and I didn't care for the novel design of the buttons they went with. Still, it worked well enough and felt good to me.

I especially liked it in WaveBird form, although you lose controller rumble. Was a very nice wireless controller and I can't imagine playing GCN (Or many Wii games) without it.

I really don't like the ergonomics on Microsoft's controllers ( in fact, I don't like their mice or keyboards either! )
Between the S and the 360 the size is certainly better on the 360 pad and the sticks feel a bit better although they're still to springy/spongy to me. I don't like the lack of proper grips! Maybe it's just a left-over preference from all my time playing goldeneye 007 on the N64 but I always liked that Nintendo had proper grips! I also like that the size of the Nintendo pads places the sticks a bit closer to your thumb (this may be a sizing issue for me although my hands are not exactly small). Currently, for all my CoD games, I play with a Madcatz FPS pro 360 controller-- this pad has a smoother stick feel more reminiscent of the Nintendo sticks and placed all the sticks and face buttons a bit closer to your thumbs. The difference is barely perceptible unless you set it next to an OEM pad but the effect is very noticeable when you play!

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
sage11x is offline  
post #35 of 37 Old 01-15-2012, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Leo_Ames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,488
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 215
At least we share a love for Nintendo's controller design for the Super Nintendo.

My favorite controllers, in order of preference, probably would be the good old CX40 joystick design that Atari used for most of the Atari 2600's life (Although their longevity sucked), the Super Nintendo controller, and the wireless 360 controller (Discounting the horrible d-pad design).

What did you think of the Dreamcast pad? Everything was slightly off of what my hands would of preferred. But it seems most Dreamcast owners were in love with it. I still wonder why they selected the bizarre location for the controller cable that they went with (It exits at the bottom rather than the top of the controller, although it's not something I'd classify as a problem).
Leo_Ames is offline  
post #36 of 37 Old 01-16-2012, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dragonyeuw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I personally loved the Dreamcast controller, and I don't think I've seen it mentioned, but the Saturn had a great controller as well imo.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

dragonyeuw is offline  
post #37 of 37 Old 01-16-2012, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brighton, MI
Posts: 2,545
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Lol! I did NOT like the dreamcast controller!
It's ok though as 90% of my reason for owning a dreamcast was fighters and shmups-- for which I own two original Saturn slim pads and two dreamcast to Saturn converters with plug-in VMU slots! 8)
For awhile before finding the Saturn converters I tried using the Ascii fight pads but they proved to be too unreliable and both developed issues shortly after I purchased them.

As for the cable on the dreamcast stick, I'm pretty sure it was just because of the two large bays for the VMU and accessories. All of them also had a slot where you could run the cable to hold it out front like a "normal" pad.

Dragon, if you ever need some replacement dreamcast sticks I've got a healthy stock of them! Bought out best buys supply when they were closing them out. Don't know why... maybe I figured I would need to have a 4 plus 4 CHU CHU Rocket tournament one day?? Lol!

If anyone cares to know what I use now for 360 it would be this:
LL

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
sage11x is offline  
Reply Nintendo

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off