Resident Evil: Revelations (Demo) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-20-2012, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So Nintendo dropped the Resident Evil Revelations demo yesterday. It's the largest thing I think Nintendo has EVER put on their store. I think the download is something like 1374 blocks (or 1734...memory is fuzzy). I downloaded it yesterday over lunch time and then played it on the train ride home.

As I noted in another thread, you can play it 30 times, apparently. This is honestly one of the silliest non-restriction restrictions I can think of. Never mind that no one will play this more than once or twice, it's a demo....why would you want to restrict it in the first place?

So, on to the game itself:

The tl;dr version? If you liked older school Resident Evil games...and by that I mean Resident Evil prior to RE:4....you will LOVE this game. If you could not stand the controls from those games or the core design conceits, you will be driven bugnuts by this one, I'd wager.

Graphics: OK, let's be clear. This game looks GOOD. Full 3D in both senses of the word. Some textures are rougher than others and they do use the classic trick of CGI cutscenes....but it's still a good looking game.

Controls: several schemes are offered, and the dual-stick config is listed, though obviously you can't try it. As it is, the controls aren't bad. Not great, but suitable. Movement is through the circle-pad. Left trigger allows for strafing. Right-trigger for aiming. The button choices are slightly odd, though. X is your weapon button, which when hitting the right-trigger and aiming with the circle pad is kind of clumsy. Overall it works, though. Series veterans will recognize the 'walks like a tank' gameplay.

Gameplay: It certainly has the feel of the RE series. Monsters crawiling out from locations or ambushing you out of nowhere. Fast enemies, slow enemies, etc. Green Herbs, shotguns and customization parts. A new element is the 'supply scanner' which lets you locate hidden objects as you search. PROTIP: after you get it, don't bother going back to earlier rooms: there's nothing hidden in them. You explore rooms, shoot mutant zombie things and solve one 'puzzle'.

Overall, I liked it fine. The controls feel kind of dated, of course, but it feels like a reall, full-fledged RE. Not an adaption or knock-off. The demo has pretty much sold me on the full game when it comes out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-21-2012, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Me too. I was impressed by the "full game" feel of it. It lacked the port or minigame feel.
I wouldn't have picked this game up without this demo. Good job Nintendo.

PC/PS3/360/Wii U
PSN GT: chuckster1
XBL GT: TahoeCougar
Steam: chavan30

post #3 of 7 Old 01-23-2012, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
The game was frigging beautiful. I'm surprised that efforts since Zelda have made that game look like crap in comparison.

I was put off by the controls (complex, too hard to shoot, probably realistic) and the heroine's silly costume but it looked like a solid game, just not my bag. More like a PS3 game if that means anything.

The demo took over an hour to download. Choose "download later" because you cannot back out of "download now."

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #4 of 7 Old 01-23-2012, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow View Post

the heroine's silly costume

Yeah, I never thought a butt could be shiny to the point of distraction. Jill seems intent on dressing more ridiculous in each RE game she appears in.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-25-2012, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Surely something I could figure out on my own, but can this demo be "age restricted", as in by me? The 3DS is primarily the kids' gadget (in fact, my younger dauughter may be getting a red one of her own for her birthday in April), but I want to check this demo out. Being Nintendo, I'm assuming I can set up age restriction by rating (and that the RE Demo is M rated)

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #6 of 7 Old 01-27-2012, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 139
The only RE game that I really loved was RE4, but this looks pretty good, after a few minutes of trying it. Graphics are better than I expected, and the controls are solid. Most importantly, the demo succeeded in giving me a creepy atmosphere in the time I played it, which is huge in a game like this... and can sometimes be difficult on a portable.

I'd say as far as I'm concerned this demo was a success, because I had zero interest in the game until trying it.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #7 of 7 Old 01-30-2012, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

The only RE game that I really loved was RE4, but this looks pretty good, after a few minutes of trying it. Graphics are better than I expected, and the controls are solid. Most importantly, the demo succeeded in giving me a creepy atmosphere in the time I played it, which is huge in a game like this... and can sometimes be difficult on a portable.

I'd say as far as I'm concerned this demo was a success, because I had zero interest in the game until trying it.

Figured out restricting the kids from this demo. Plan on DL-ing it this evening.

I will add to jhoff's observation that I found the creepy atmospherics in the iOS version of Dead Space were rather effective, too - esp when playing using headphones. I see 'phones being used for the 3DS RE as well.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page