Xenoblade Chronicles... reason enough to keep the Wii? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 170 Old 04-08-2012, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Man, the more I read about it, the more I think that this sounds like what FF12 should have been...

I need to grab a classic controller before I get this from Gamefly, but I really don't want to drop the cash on a controller that I will use for only one game...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 170 Old 04-08-2012, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Spend the cash on a Classic Controller, yo.
post #33 of 170 Old 04-08-2012, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

Spend the cash on a Classic Controller, yo.

Fine, and done. Hopefully they both arrive on the same day... Unpacked my Wii once again.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #34 of 170 Old 04-08-2012, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I've heard the nunchuck setup works pretty well once you get used to it, and even offers an advantage in letting you keep moving around the battlefield while scrolling through your Arts.
post #35 of 170 Old 04-08-2012, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Man, the more I read about it, the more I think that this sounds like what FF12 should have been...

I loved FF12. And this reminds me of that. A lot. In the best possible way.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #36 of 170 Old 04-09-2012, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Dammit, am I going to have to pay full price for this game? I hate you guys sometimes.

//LOVED FF12
//regrets selling my ps2

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #37 of 170 Old 04-09-2012, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

If anyone's gotten to the point in the game (Satori Marsh) where they meet a unique Lvl. 31 lizard monster named "Reckless Godwin" and you manage not to have him thoroughly kick your ass five attempts in a row, I'd appreciate any advice.
post #38 of 170 Old 04-09-2012, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow View Post

Dammit, am I going to have to pay full price for this game? I hate you guys sometimes.

//LOVED FF12
//regrets selling my ps2

Nope. Do what I'mma do and find a different game or 2 to hold you over while you wait a few months! We're already a year+ behind the rest of the world playing this one... what's 120 more days?

I'll pick up this one and Last Story around Q3 when the Wii is officially over and some deal surely pops up (or a college kid on Craigslist needs beer money). Even the fact that I REALLY want to play it and that it's an 'exclusive' GameSlop-only release doesn't scare me too much.

Now, I made the mistake of waiting too long for MP:T (lucked into that one last year for like $30!!) and the Zelda gold wiimote bundle (Still $130 on eBay. Curses!!!), so should there be a silly spike in price or a sudden cal out of 'limited availability', I might jump back in at retail. That's the only way.

Until then, you guys all enjoy the game and spoiler tag your mother responses
post #39 of 170 Old 04-09-2012, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I still need to replace my MP:T that burned up... Got the Zelda Gold Remote and Zelda 3DS though, so my collector's itch hasn't kicked in just yet.

My Gfly copy arrived today and I really hope they add a keep option.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #40 of 170 Old 04-09-2012, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

My copy arrived, hooked up my Wii and fired it up, batteries are dead, check my drawer, out of batteries.... Noooooo!

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #41 of 170 Old 04-09-2012, 04:26 PM

I wonder if the result was hunting around the house for cells to scavenge, or a drive to the store. I hope you find it as good quality as we've been saying it is!
post #42 of 170 Old 04-09-2012, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wonder if the result was hunting around the house for cells to scavenge, or a drive to the store. I hope you find it as good quality as we've been saying it is!

Found a few old remotes and hope that they will hold out until my amazonbasics 20 pack arrives on Thursday. Not paying the $5.49 that a 4pk cost.

I've been spoiled by rechargable batteries for far too long.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #43 of 170 Old 04-09-2012, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen View Post

Now, I made the mistake of waiting too long for MP:T (lucked into that one last year for like $30!!) and the Zelda gold wiimote bundle (Still $130 on eBay. Curses!!!), so should there be a silly spike in price or a sudden cal out of 'limited availability', I might jump back in at retail. That's the only way.

I think I've been away from my Wii too long. I have no idea what "MP:T" stands for. And I'm pissed that I missed out on a good Zelda bundle since now if I want to play it, I have to shell out more money than a Wii itself is worth to get a similar package.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #44 of 170 Old 04-09-2012, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

I think I've been away from my Wii too long. I have no idea what "MP:T" stands for. And I'm pissed that I missed out on a good Zelda bundle since now if I want to play it, I have to shell out more money than a Wii itself is worth to get a similar package.

Metroid Prime: Trilogy

Well now, I just completed the intro and I must say, I'm almost at a loss for words. This is not a traditional RPG intro. Obviously it would count as spoilers as to why, so Ill stick to gameplay and graphics for now.

Gameplay is like a slightly more clunky/floaty Final Fantasy XII. The remote setup works very well so far, Ill compare to the classic controller tomorrow.

Graphics

Is this really the Wii? If not for a few artifacts and 480p, this could pass for a early PS3 game. The enviroments are massive even early on and everything streams in very quickly, Im impressed with what they acomplished using such limited hardware.

I'm liking this game so far, enemies are merciless if you wander too far. (got killed by a lv 35 midget crab already) and I cant wait to get to some larger enviroments and see what this game can really do.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #45 of 170 Old 04-10-2012, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

The enviroments are massive even early on and everything streams in very quickly

I have to say, it's always a pleasant surprise going back to Wii after playing PS3 games for a while, in terms of loading/bootup times. It's so nice to be able to turn on my system and be able to start playing within a couple minutes, instead of having time for a quick snack/bathroom break like on the PS3. Xenoblade is especially impressive--after the initial loading screen, which itself is a few seconds at most, there appears to be no loading time at all, even when quick-traveling to a totally different (and expansive) environment. I'm gonna miss the load times of non-HD systems.
post #46 of 170 Old 04-10-2012, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Just want to answer my own question:

WORTH IT.
post #47 of 170 Old 04-10-2012, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow. Just got to the Leg... How can the Wii render this? The draw distance actually out does Skyrim in several ways.

I'm liking that the game is keeping up with me, I power leveled to beat the cave spider and I was afraid I would plow through the next area... Nope, got my rear handed to me pretty quickly.

One thing that has bugged me, too much gear. I find so much stuff that is slightly different from my current stuff and is usually worse.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #48 of 170 Old 04-10-2012, 10:55 PM

The ground texture grass totally reaches out further than the grass in Oblivion on 360. Not quite as far as Skyrim I don't think. The point where the grass drops off though is right about where 480p becomes a restricting factor in resolving detail anyway. Pop-in overall is far less evident than any recent open-world game that I can recall on PS3/360 as well.

I'm at the leg right now too. I'm 15 hours in and have found that as long as I explore the world thoroughly, there are enough baddies spread around to keep me leveled enough that I never have to sit and actively grind. Finding all the nooks and crannies of this world is where I'm having the most fun anyway.
post #49 of 170 Old 04-10-2012, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The ground texture grass totally reaches out further than the grass in Oblivion on 360. Not quite as far as Skyrim I don't think. The point where the grass drops off though is right about where 480p becomes a restricting factor in resolving detail anyway. Pop-in overall is far less evident than any recent open-world game that I can recall on PS3/360 as well.

I'm at the leg right now too. I'm 15 hours in and have found that as long as I explore the world thoroughly, there are enough baddies spread around to keep me leveled enough that I never have to sit and actively grind. Finding all the nooks and crannies of this world is where I'm having the most fun anyway.

The grass and bushes are what really caught my eye, they render at such an amazing distance. Seeing the Wii pump out visuals of this level... I just cant get over it.

Right now I am gaining levels to start exploring. As I am now, far too many enemies still give me problems for me to feel comfortable branching out just yet. The game is pushing me to Colony 6 right now, but I am resisting that push. It wants me to cross a bridge but I havent even gotten close to it yet, still plenty of stuff I want to explore first.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #50 of 170 Old 04-11-2012, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I've heard advice against over-questing lest you get over-leveled, and I think that's sound advice because I'm definitely starting to feel that way. I appear to be about five levels above what the game expects me to be, and I'm basically able to plow through any normal enemy or even any story boss. Obviously the level 70-90 monsters wandering around will still crush me, and most unique monsters are still a challenge even if I'm a couple levels above them, but yeah, maybe it's not the best thing to deviate from the main story for too too long.

You may have noticed that some quests have a clock icon next to them, though--those are the ones that eventually become missable once you progress the story too far. It appears the cutoff point (at least for the handful I'm on) is pretty obvious though, and it's a choice you have to approve, so you do see it coming.

On another note, I now have six party members (the pacing at which new members show up seems...off), and kind of don't know what to do with them all. With your "original" party you have a tank, a healer, and your main character (damage guy?), the first two of which seem pretty essential, so I'm not sure how to slot in the new guys. The sixth member seems particularly...odd. Any advice from someone who's played through the game already?
post #51 of 170 Old 04-11-2012, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I too am at the Bionis leg right now (wife and I both gasped, mouth-agape at the enormity of the area). Being an OCD completionist and mindful of not over-leveling, I actively avoid unnecessary combat unless it's a part of a side quest or the main story, or if I have no choice while exploring. I've just completely explored all of the Bionis leg up to...

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
... Colony 6 before even visiting the refugee camp, and now I have all of the timed quests ready to do, and several back in Colony 9 that need clearing, as well.

Maybe it's just me, but does anyone feel at times overwhelmed by both the sheer size of the world and all of the various facets of arts/skills/affinity/buffs and debuffs/gems/chain attacks/modano arts? I guess I'm so conditioned by the "simpler" RPGs of my youth.
post #52 of 170 Old 04-11-2012, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh, I'm overwhelmed by nearly every aspect of the game. On one hand, it's kind of like, "This is part of why JRPGs have become such a niche genre." On the other, much of it isn't strictly necessary (thorough exploration, gem crafting, affinity) but is certainly added value for anyone so inclined.

Plus it's kinda novel to have such an unapologetically complex Wii game.
post #53 of 170 Old 04-11-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

This and Skyward Sword are the only two Wii games that I can say look very good, without adding the "for the Wii" tag at the end of it.

Nintendo knows how to build a machine for making games, I'll give them that. Hopefully similar voodoo graphics will be possible on the Wii U. This is what happens when you take full advantage of hardware.

Got my classic controller today, looking forward to playing some more tonight. (pacing myself until my 20pk of batteries arrive)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #54 of 170 Old 04-11-2012, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
really? graphics wise i'd say the following look fantastic
epic yarn
other m
galaxy
wario land

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #55 of 170 Old 04-11-2012, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Man, I want to explore, but there are so many over powered brutes guarding various paths. (lv 76 on average, really game?) At least it prevents early power leveling I guess...

And yes, the classic controller is a must, so much easier to play the game now.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #56 of 170 Old 04-12-2012, 01:12 AM

I'm over questing and I love it. I'm only going to play through this once, and since I like it so very much I plan so suck it dry of content. Currently I'm level 26 rolling through an area with level 18-20 baddies. I haven't done any grinding, just exploration to fill out the map, quests that I accidentally complete, and missable quests. Since the average battle isn't my favorite part of the game, this works out great. I blow through any normal battle, but still have fun with any boss battles that I come across. The leveled baddies help out here a lot too. Even though I'm overleveled, seeing a 30ft tall squirrel tromp across the screen still puts fear in to me. Related: I'm very glad that there is no punishment for dying aside from travel time. It lets you explore without getting pissed off that a one-hit killer just took half your gold, or your progress since the last save.

I'm guessing that the level 80 baddies running around are for some post-main quest content, but I haven't looked it up because I don't actually want to know. I'm letting this game surprise me, which it has done quite well so far.

Damn this title is finely crafted.
post #57 of 170 Old 04-12-2012, 01:13 AM

Oh, and glad you like the Classis Controller, PEN!
post #58 of 170 Old 04-12-2012, 01:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This thread has piqued my interest, this game wouldn't happen to be playable with a GC controller, would it?

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #59 of 170 Old 04-12-2012, 01:49 AM

No.
post #60 of 170 Old 04-12-2012, 02:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

Reply Nintendo

Tags
Xenoblade Chronicles Rp

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page