Xenoblade Chronicles... reason enough to keep the Wii? - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 170 Old 04-30-2012, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Ugh. Damn you guys/my broken Wii. Guess I'll shuffle out of this thread until forever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 170 Old 04-30-2012, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Hurry up and finish the game already, I want someone to talk to about the crazy rollercoaster ride that occurs after the cutoff point.

Trying. Sadly, I dedicated most of this past weekend to get this far, as I have limited time during the work week. I want to get at least the main story finished in a few weeks before the wife goes overseas for work for two months. Maybe I can Skype her in while I'm playing.

I thought I was doing a fair job of marathoning; don't know how you guys got so far ahead so fast.
post #123 of 170 Old 04-30-2012, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain77 View Post

Trying. Sadly, I dedicated most of this past weekend to get this far, as I have limited time during the work week. I want to get at least the main story finished in a few weeks before the wife goes overseas for work for two months. Maybe I can Skype her in while I'm playing.

I thought I was doing a fair job of marathoning; don't know how you guys got so far ahead so fast.

When I get hooked on a game I can do some crazy marathons. I'm also between jobs at the moment so I have time to kill...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #124 of 170 Old 04-30-2012, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

Ugh. Damn you guys/my broken Wii. Guess I'll shuffle out of this thread until forever.

Another possibility is a dirty/dusty lens. I recall having to use the Wii Cleaning kit a couple of times to get MP Trilogy to load up. Could be a fix for the "least broken" Wii owned by the Mongo family

After I swapped out the drive last year, MP Trilogy boots up every time.

May have to rethink checking this game out. Not my usual bag of chips, but it does sound like the last big hurrah for the Wii.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #125 of 170 Old 05-01-2012, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When I get hooked on a game I can do some crazy marathons. I'm also between jobs at the moment so I have time to kill...

Ah, I have fond memories of jobless, game-filling stretches of time over the past few years of my life. I hope I'm not saying anything insensitive, but try to enjoy it while it lasts!

Also, jwebb, could you direct me to specifically which Wii cleaning kit you used? I tried to find one on Nintendo's store site but the only one I came across seemed to be discontinued. Also, I really do suggest you pick this game up. It's not quite my thing either, but I got pretty addicted pretty fast. And if you end up hating it there's a decent chance you'll be able to sell it for a good price down the line.
post #126 of 170 Old 05-01-2012, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ah, I have fond memories of jobless, game-filling stretches of time over the past few years of my life. I hope I'm not saying anything insensitive, but try to enjoy it while it lasts!

Oh you can bet I am enjoying it while I can. Though I never really built up a list of must play games,so I am already running low. (Arc Rise Fantasia is up next)

The biggest plus has been in my study of Japanese, I never had time to make solid and steady progress before, but in the past month I've made some impressive progress (compared to my past progress) hopefully I can start playimg my imports soon and actually follow the plot.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #127 of 170 Old 05-01-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

Also, jwebb, could you direct me to specifically which Wii cleaning kit you used? I tried to find one on Nintendo's store site but the only one I came across seemed to be discontinued. Also, I really do suggest you pick this game up. It's not quite my thing either, but I got pretty addicted pretty fast. And if you end up hating it there's a decent chance you'll be able to sell it for a good price down the line.

I have the offical kit - bought it shortly after MP Trilogy started acting up on me & cured the issues. COD BlOps did eventually kill the drive to the point that no discs would read, which is when I grabbed a new drive online & installed it myself.

I looked via Google & it does appear that the official Nintendo Lens Cleaning Kit is in fact discontinued (?). Amazon has a few 3rd party storefronts selling the originally $10 kit for around $40 or more

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=all

I did see this non-official kit on ebay for $10.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wii-LENS-CLE...809#vi-content

It may be that a local GameStop/Target/WalMart/BestBuy/etc in your neck of the woods may have some still on the shelves, though. IIRC, I saw some @ a local Target recently when getting some 3DS supplies for the kids.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #128 of 170 Old 05-01-2012, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

JRPGs from the late '80s through the '90s were far and away my favorite games. Then Squaresoft became Square Enix, Working Designs closed up shop (RIP)... and the genre became stale and went in a direction I didn't care for. I kept waiting for that one game, and some have come close (FF12 and Dragon Quest 8 were good attempts).

Xenoblade has definitely reignited those fond feelings of yesteryear for me. I feel like that kid sitting on the living room floor in his PJs all over again. YMMV, of course.
post #129 of 170 Old 05-01-2012, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

The biggest plus has been in my study of Japanese, I never had time to make solid and steady progress before, but in the past month I've made some impressive progress (compared to my past progress) hopefully I can start playimg my imports soon and actually follow the plot.

Or perhaps chatting online or in person with Japanese women? Now that's an awe-inspiring idea! About anime and games of course...

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
post #130 of 170 Old 05-01-2012, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post

Or perhaps chatting online or in person with Japanese women? Now that's an awe-inspiring idea! About anime and games of course...

Haha, an old co worker actually promised to deck me if I got a Japanese girlfriend out of it. (not to stereotype, but he was 200+ lbs and black, it would hurt) but he loved to sing along with jpop. (The Japanese version of Real Emotion 10-2 mix was especially fun) I miss hanging out with him...

Now take the above idea and imagine that guy singing real emotion and doing a dance similar to Yuna in the intro, easily one of my fondest memories from that job.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #131 of 170 Old 05-02-2012, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain77 View Post

Xenoblade has definitely reignited those fond feelings of yesteryear for me. I feel like that kid sitting on the living room floor in his PJs all over again.

It's funny you mention that, I kinda got in the habit of playing Xenoblade while sitting cross-legged on the floor. Initially it was because I had just gotten back from the gym and didn't want to get the couch all sweaty, but after a while it just felt appropriate to play the game that way.
post #132 of 170 Old 05-04-2012, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
In one word: yes
post #133 of 170 Old 05-06-2012, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I just can't do the new game plus, being able to curb stomp everything (even the face mechon at the start) with just one hit kills the plot. (nothing changes, even with post game super weapons (and one of them has major clipping issues with various objects in early scenes)

I want to do a fresh run of the game but the lack of save files sucks, why did they have to limit it to 3? Probably my only complaint with the game.

Oh, I tested 480i to see if it helped with jaggies, nope, only made the game fuzzy and less vibrant. Maybe the Wii U will have a smooth filter for Wii games (plan on doing a fresh run on the new hardware)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #134 of 170 Old 05-06-2012, 10:35 PM

Liked: 93
Did you already go back through the world and murder all the level 80+ baddies that we're always running around? I assumed that those guys were there as post-game content.
post #135 of 170 Old 05-06-2012, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

Did you already go back through the world and murder all the level 80+ baddies that we're always running around? I assumed that those guys were there as post-game content.

They drop sets of equipment that are considered the best overall stuff availible. (decent stats, and empty slots, anything with better stats has pre filled slots) If you use the sleep and shove method you can easily break the game once Melia joins... (they do drop skill books for the 7th though, so beware) EXP scales to your level so you can't power level that well early on. The leg is the best place to grind from level 69 to level 78, after that the Marsh becomes a better option. I cleared the game at level 88 so I missed out on quite a bit of the bigger stuff (the dinos in the forest...)

On a side note, Arc Rise Fantasia sucks, battle system is interesting, but everything else...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #136 of 170 Old 05-08-2012, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

On a side note, Arc Rise Fantasia sucks, battle system is interesting, but everything else...

Funny... the only thing I heard about ARF was "Turn OFF the voices!". Literally, nothing else- no reviews, no buzz. Sounds like that's a fair assessment.
post #137 of 170 Old 05-08-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen View Post

Funny... the only thing I heard about ARF was "Turn OFF the voices!". Literally, nothing else- no reviews, no buzz. Sounds like that's a fair assessment.

I can agree with that, the voices sound like a middle school play, where everyone was drafted for their part. I could see the battle system becoming fun later on, but the rest of the game is average at best.

I'm replaying Metroid Prime 1 instead. Amazing how well Gamecube graphics have held up, and I was also surprised that it only took me about 5 minutes to readjust to those controls.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #138 of 170 Old 05-26-2012, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm thinking about doing a fresh run of the game. (I'll have to delete a file, probably my NG+ one) I really don't want to wait for the Wii U just to replay this game. (bought a used copy at GS so I didn't have to open my sealed copy, no manual sadly) I have a few other Wii games I want to try first but I don't think it will take long to get through them. (Muramasa, DKCR, Okami, Fire Emblem and a few GC replays)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #139 of 170 Old 06-08-2012, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
So I FINALLY unboxed this game and started playing. I picked it up when it came out, but TOO MANY GAME SYNDROME set in. I promised myself I wouldn't start it until I finished Mass Effect 3, which I did last Saturday. Sunday I started this...and promptly played two hours instead of a half-hour, like I planned. Classic JRPG goodness with some nice signs of addressing some of the JRPG weaknesses of old.

Any pointers of things to do / avoid?
post #140 of 170 Old 06-08-2012, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

A broken Wii prevented me from getting more than halfway through the game, but general tips:

-Don't go too quest-crazy, as there are a billion of them, they can get tedious after a while, and you'll end up overleveled. Prioritize the ones that have a clock icon next to them, as those can eventually be missed (but generally are available for a long time, with obvious cutoff points)
-However, talk with NPCs regularly to unlock quests, particularly NPCs with names. They all have their own little story arcs to follow, and building "affinity" with town members is needed to unlock better quests, and thus more skill trees, better treasures, etc.
-Explore the map! This is one of the main strengths of the game. Finding new landmarks/locations gives better XP than monster-grinding and serve as quick-travel markers.
-There's NO penalty for dying other than being sent back to the last landmark/location, so try your luck at an overleveled monster, why not?
-Don't bother buying much armor/weapons in shops, as found gear is generally better.
-Gear with gem slots is almost always better than gear with better stats but no slots (to an extent)
-Don't bother too much with gem crafting until you can make at least Level III gems
-Agility is arguably the most important stat for 80% of your characters
-Later on, vary the makeup of your party, including who's in the lead, to build party affinity (which affects how well they fight together, among other things)
-Find out what time it is (answer: Reyn time); constantly declare whether enemies are or are not a bunch a jokers
post #141 of 170 Old 07-18-2012, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Since this thread was taken off life support, I thought it appropriate as TC to see it off properly. I just sold it on eBay (I don't hang on to games once I'm done with them) for $40, so in the end I got to play one helluva memorable game for a total of $10.

I put in over 220 hours total, including doing everything possible in one playthrough and parts of a New Game+ before calling it quits. The 2nd most I've ever invested in an RPG before was Dragon Quest 8, and that was only half of the time spent in XC. I took a 6 week hiatus before the endgame while my wife was overseas.

Overall, I can't overstate how much I enjoyed this game. Yes, it's not perfect (some of the cutscene dialogue was pretty cheesy, which at times was a mood killer), but the parts it does well... it does really well. In the end, this game is firmly cemented in my Top 5 RPG list, with the caveat that I haven't played a lot of the recent games in the genre.

Here's hoping The Last Story (just placed it on pre-order) lives up to its billing.
post #142 of 170 Old 07-18-2012, 12:31 PM

Liked: 93
Kain, did you play the Xenosagas? If not grab a PS2 and go give those a run. Fantastic storytelling for it's time, but I can't garauntee that it still holds up. smile.gif
post #143 of 170 Old 07-18-2012, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Dragon's Dogma also has a lot of the good points from this game.

And why sell it? It is going to be a rare collector's item in just a year or two, best to keep it if you ask me.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #144 of 170 Old 07-19-2012, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

Kain, did you play the Xenosagas? If not grab a PS2 and go give those a run. Fantastic storytelling for it's time, but I can't garauntee that it still holds up. smile.gif

I played about 20 hours of Xenogears. I could tell it was well-crafted, but it wasn't for me. I haven't played Xenosaga.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

And why sell it? It is going to be a rare collector's item in just a year or two, best to keep it if you ask me.

Apparently there are still copies at Game Stop, so I don't know how valuable it's going to be versus now. I figured since it's received so much praise, I'd dump it while the coals are hot.

The Wii is my only console, but I have half a mind to pick up a used Xbox 360 and give Lost Odyssey a try.
post #145 of 170 Old 07-19-2012, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain77 View Post

The Wii is my only console, but I have half a mind to pick up a used Xbox 360 and give Lost Odyssey a try.

I started LO way back and my gear got stolen. I've since repurchased it and recently started playing again. It was a lot of work to play through the sections I'd done prior to the theft BUT it is worth it. I can only hope similar games keep coming out. LO is really very good and quite possibly one of the best jrpgs ever. Dare I say better than recent FF games. If you do get a 360 look for Blue Dragon as well.
post #146 of 170 Old 11-12-2012, 01:07 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
This game is frigging awesome, deep and weird. So final fantasy 12 and so not. There are menus I forget about and come back to. I'm still scared of the gem menu.

Gamestop's running low on stock and have never dropped the price, so I finally bit. I put it in on saturday and managed 16 hours since.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #147 of 170 Old 11-12-2012, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

The gem stuff you don't really need to worry about until you have at least Level III gems, I think. Well, you can lose hours in it any time, but it's only around then it starts to become worth it.

I myself can't wait to start this game back up again after I get my Wii U!
post #148 of 170 Old 01-02-2013, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Selfishly resurrecting this thread because I fiiiiinally beat this game on my Wii U after my original Wii broke way back in April, and I wanted to talk about the ending. Mega-spoilers, obviously: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Well I uh, did not see that coming. I knew something was up once you warped into space and the landmark was "Jupiter" and "Saturn" etc. before finally reaching "Moon" whereupon Shulk commented "Is that a big ball of water?" but I can't say I ever anticipated Alvis being a universe-controlling space station supercomputer or Zanza originally being an astro-scientist named Klaus. Is it me or was there absolutely no build-up to this? It didn't strike me as offensively stupid or anything, just out of left field and unnecessary. I guess it did fit the anti-deity theme of this game (and many JRPGs in general) by making the "gods" in this game very human, and humans who had managed to best god via technology besides, but it kind of undermines one of the coolest game worlds in recent memory by even trying to explain it. Fighting/living on the bodies of two gigantic gods was cool enough, I didn't need a weird last-minute IT WAS OUR WORLD ALL ALONG explanation for them. That said, I would love to play a sequel that explored the new, remade (flattened) world. The game gave occasional hints as to what might be beyond the (now former) Bionis and Mechonis, and I'd love the chance to explore that.[/spoilers]

All in all though, some of the most satisfying 125 hours of gameplay in my life, even if maddeningly broken into two parts over the span of nine months. The end game was tons of fun -- it felt really rewarding to finally go after those huge, scary, high-level monsters that had been roaming the landscape since the beginning of the game. Thanks to chasing them all down, I ended up with my characters around lvl. 93, which of course made the last story dungeon entirely too easy, but being able to take down every unique monster I found, even the ones at lvl. 98-100, was worth it. Extremely satisfying. I never would've guessed that Riki would be the key to end-game domination.
post #149 of 170 Old 01-03-2013, 01:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Minor spoilers below as I drop some no context hints to those who finished the game.

The twist was hinted at quite a bit if you replay the game. Knowing Monolith's history also helps.

Pay attention to any speech by one of the end game guys that you deal with. They drop lots of hints that something really big is at play.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #150 of 170 Old 01-03-2013, 01:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The real thinker for this one, was Alvis only the computer AI for the station, or was he always the Monado and made sure he was in place to guide the birth of a new reality?

That ending spoiler is the real brain teaser.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Reply Nintendo

Tags
Xenoblade Chronicles Rp

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page