Xenoblade Chronicles... reason enough to keep the Wii? - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 170 Old 01-05-2013, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 558
You may get lucky with Gamestop still having random stock, but the price on used copies is rising fast. It is out of print and becoming rare. Best to get this game before it vanishes 100%

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 170 Old 01-08-2013, 04:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
You can check stock here: http://www.gamestop.com/wii/games/xenoblade-chronicles-gamestop-exclusive/98535
Click Pickup at Store then New. Only ever saw one or two Used but you can check that too.

Not sure how reliable that is. Glad I got it when they were showing Low Stock near me a few months back.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #153 of 170 Old 08-05-2013, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Gamestop is now selling the game for $90 used. Amazon has a Like New copy through their Warehouse, only $182!!!!

http://www.gamestop.com/wii/games/xenoblade-chronicles-gamestop-exclusive/98535

It may be time to sell my sealed copy...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #154 of 170 Old 08-05-2013, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

I'd wait until the sequel gets more buzz, though there's a infinitesimal chance of a reprint.

post #155 of 170 Old 08-05-2013, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Between my sealed Xenoblade and my sealed Ni No Kuni Wizard Edition I could have my launch PS4 paid in full and have enough left over for a few games. (I also have a sealed The Last Story day one edition, but it isn't that rare yet) So it is tempting to sell them now...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #156 of 170 Old 08-12-2013, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
So Gamestop is suddenly flush with used copies of Xenoblade - for $90. I was looking at fakeiwata's post on Twitter (@iwata_laughs), saw a comment about it and thought it was worthy of investigating... courtesy of CAG and operationrainfall.com, turns out there's two likely reasons for the magical "In stock" status.

1) They're reselling the copies they picked up when they offered "$50 off any new game when you trade in Xenoblade and Metroid Prime Trilogy" recently (what a d!ck move, BTW. They knew those games were fetching $100+ online and took advantage of stupid teenage uninformed customers)

2) These are reprints, but they're opening them but selling them as used copies, which are $90 vs. the $40 they list for new copies- a practice that has apparently happened in the past, sadly. The mysterious glut of copies appearing on shelf have unused Club Nintendo codes and a slightly different case, which lends some credence to this theory as well.

[edit] images of the case differences, via neogaf:

Original Case has Wii logo on top:

New "used" case, with Nintendo logo:

(Note that this could just be GS swapping cases for nicer ones, used cases can get beat up pretty bad)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Between my sealed Xenoblade and my sealed Ni No Kuni Wizard Edition I could have my launch PS4 paid in full and have enough left over for a few games. (I also have a sealed The Last Story day one edition, but it isn't that rare yet) So it is tempting to sell them now...

Back on topic, still wish I had unopened copies, Pen! I've seen those go for over $200 on eBay... I think it's time for you to part ways with it NOW, use the "AUG15" code and "Saver" and pick up a used copy at Gamestop for $68 shipped... I hate the fact that they're charging $90 for what might be new copies, but you'd still come out ahead AND get to keep a copy...
post #157 of 170 Old 08-12-2013, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

They're not gutted reprints, that's gamer conspiracy theory. If they were reprinted, GS would be charging more for them. There's nothing to gain by labeling them used. It's well within their rights to charge $2000 for a copy regardless of condition. When it comes to setting maximum price, they're under no more regulation than people selling on ebay or amazon.

They know everyone who bought Xenoblade with a loyalty card. They sent out an email saying how much they'd give for the game ($48 I think). That's pretty decent TIV for an old $50 Wii game, so surprise, people bit.

I can believe they held onto used stock to raise prices, I can believe they shipped out copies to stores in a coordinated effort, but the idea that they're free to price Used games but not New games makes no sense.

post #158 of 170 Old 08-12-2013, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I also have an opened copy as well. (Got is three weeks after launch at Gamestop for $35 used after the deals that week) so I may just unload it for $250/$300 (with preorder artbook) and be done.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #159 of 170 Old 08-12-2013, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow View Post

They're not gutted reprints, that's gamer conspiracy theory. If they were reprinted, GS would be charging more for them. There's nothing to gain by labeling them used. It's well within their rights to charge $2000 for a copy regardless of condition.

They know everyone who bought Xenoblade with a loyalty card. They sent out an email saying how much they'd give for the game ($48 I think). That's pretty decent TIV for an old $50 Wii game, so surprise, people bit.

I can believe they held onto used stock to raise prices, I can believe they shipped out copies to stores in a coordinated effort, but the idea that they're free to price Used games but not New games makes no sense.

Prices would drop like a rock if it was reprinted, so opening them and claiming used allows the prices to stay high.
moothemagiccow likes this.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #160 of 170 Old 08-12-2013, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow View Post

They're not gutted reprints, that's gamer conspiracy theory. If they were reprinted, GS would be charging more for them. There's nothing to gain by labeling them used. It's well within their rights to charge $2000 for a copy regardless of condition. When it comes to setting maximum price, they're under no more regulation than people selling on ebay or amazon.

They did it in 2009 with Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga. Play Asia sold the same reprints for $29.99 new, GS opened every copy and listed it as "used" for $39.99.

Nintendo set MSRP for the game new in box... but they don't have any control of what GS charges for used. Whether GS held onto used copies or is gutting NOS to sell at the inflated price, it's still a shady practice.
post #161 of 170 Old 08-12-2013, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

I think that would only work if someone else was selling. Games like Radiant Historia, it makes sense, because there's competition among dealers. Best Buy, Walmart don't even have listings for Xenoblade, and they both sell used games.

And it's not as if Gamestop employees are trusted secret keepers. The turnover is so high that they open their yaps and ****-talk the company freely. It's not like a high-ranking executive with an NDA is gutting the copies.

The original GAF poster claimed it was partly because Club Nintendo codes hadn't been redeemed. Most used games I buy have unused CN codes.
Also said the case was a Wii U case, which it isn't... those are blue. The only game with a round Nintendo logo that I own is Kirby's Return to Dreamland.

Also considering the game didn't exactly fly off the shelves in the first place, I doubt even GS would seriously want to reprint it.

post #162 of 170 Old 08-12-2013, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen View Post

They did it in 2009 with Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga. Play Asia sold the same reprints for $29.99 new, GS opened every copy and listed it as "used" for $39.99.

Nintendo set MSRP for the game new in box... but they don't have any control of what GS charges for used. Whether GS held onto used copies or is gutting NOS to sell at the inflated price, it's still a shady practice.

Shady! Well there's no question of that. Xenoblade was my last GS purchase, at the low low price of $44.99 Used.

post #163 of 170 Old 08-12-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

http://kotaku.com/extreme-gamestop-pricing-leaves-some-fans-calling-scam-1108627828

They have a source inside Gamestop saying it was reprinted, so this may turn out to be a very vicious scandal indeed.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #164 of 170 Old 08-13-2013, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Gamestop remains vague on whether or not it's a reprint, just responds to the crazy price. Sounds like the closest thing to a confirmation to me. Hell, $50 is a high price for a used game.

It's unfortunate that all this press won't lead to many more people playing the game. I foresee an affordable digital version in 20 years, a la Earthbound.

post #165 of 170 Old 08-13-2013, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Gamestop has an official response now: http://kotaku.com/gamestop-90-xenoblade-is-based-on-current-market-val-1123377091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamestop 
GameStop regularly receives feedback from our PowerUp members regarding old titles they would us like to bring back, such as vintage games like Xenoblade Chronicles. We were recently able to source a limited number of copies of this title to carry in our stores and online.

In fact, we have sourced several more vintage titles that we will be hitting stores in the coming months, including Metroid Prime Trilogy.

As always, our pricing for these games is competitive and is based on current market value driven by supply and demand. PowerUp Pro members always receive a 10% discount and earn PUR podints on pre-owned purchases.

If they're to be believed, that buyback program for Xenoblade and MPT must have been amazing. Every store within 50 miles of me has a copy of Xenoblade suddenly... Either way, for anyone who didn't buy this before, now seems to be the time to avoid eBay scalper prices.

Xenoblade: www.gamestop.com/wii/games/xenoblade-chronicles-gamestop-exclusive/98535

MPT: www.gamestop.com/wii/games/metroid-prime-trilogy/74982
post #166 of 170 Old 08-21-2013, 03:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 207
They could have been intentionally withholding used copies in order to drive up prices before suddenly turning them loose nationwide. I'm skeptical that's the case here with Xenoblade but I suspect that would be the real story behind Metroid Prime Trilogy at least.

Calling a game from 2012 a vintage game gets me though. What would a Atari 2600 Combat cartridge from 1977 be referred to as if a nearly brand new game is vintage?
post #167 of 170 Old 08-29-2013, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Welp, the plot thickens: Prices are suddenly $10 and $5 cheaper for pre-owned GS copies.

Xenoblade is now $79.99:
http://www.gamestop.com/wii/games/xenoblade-chronicles-gamestop-exclusive/98535

and $69.99 for MPT:
http://www.gamestop.com/wii/games/metroid-prime-trilogy/74982

My guess is they over estimated demand at the original price point, made worse by the constant buzz the internetz made of the deal. Still interesting, whichever side of the fence you're on.
post #168 of 170 Old 08-29-2013, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Metroid Prime Trilogy comes in a new case, not the original steelbook, which instantly devalues the purchase for me, as much as I may want it...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #169 of 170 Old 08-29-2013, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Metroid Prime Trilogy comes in a new case, not the original steelbook, which instantly devalues the purchase for me, as much as I may want it...

I second that... the original packaging is amazing, I'd rather play the originals on GC than give up my steel case!
post #170 of 170 Old 08-29-2013, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I miss my steelbook, one of the few games I haven't managed to replace yet.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Reply Nintendo

Tags
Xenoblade Chronicles Rp

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page