Wii U - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #271 of 1142 Old 06-14-2012, 04:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,609
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 1426
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

I just wonder what the standard control configuration is going to be. It's so ridiculously fragmented at launch...there's the gamepad, the wiimote, and the classic controller pro. Multiples of each. How can they bank so heavily on asymmetric multiplayer when there's so many control schemes?
No joke. But it may not be too bad. The GamePad and new Xbox-style controller have the same buttons. The only difference is the screen and shape. The Wii Remote is the one oddball. The motion controls in the Wii Remote can all be replicated using the GamePad, but the tricky part would be the buttons. My guess is that third-party developers won't bother adapting controls for the Wii Remote--especially for multiplatform games.

So basically, keep the Wii Remote around for old Wii games. Otherwise, use one of the new controllers. Hopefully the new d-pads will be good for platformers and the like.

Where it gets really confusing is they were demoing pikmin 3 with the wiimote first, like that was the primary control scheme. Theyve featured the wiimote prominently in their asymmetric demos. And the gamepad might be able to replicate some of the motion controls, but it can't seem to do any of the pointing. Honestly, they have to stick both a gamepad and a wiimote in the box, otherwise this is going to be chaos. Third party devs are going to shun anything that everyone isn't assured to have, and the wiimote is too crucial to marginalize. Probably a good idea to stick a nunchuk in there too.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #272 of 1142 Old 06-14-2012, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Monger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Where it gets really confusing is they were demoing pikmin 3 with the wiimote first, like that was the primary control scheme. Theyve featured the wiimote prominently in their asymmetric demos. And the gamepad might be able to replicate some of the motion controls, but it can't seem to do any of the pointing. Honestly, they have to stick both a gamepad and a wiimote in the box, otherwise this is going to be chaos. Third party devs are going to shun anything that everyone isn't assured to have, and the wiimote is too crucial to marginalize. Probably a good idea to stick a nunchuk in there too.

Pikmin was a Wii game that got moved to the U. It can be played either way, but they were pushing the wiimote.

As of a year and a half ago there were 65 million wiimotes sold in the US. It's probably not a big concern.
Monger is offline  
post #273 of 1142 Old 06-14-2012, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mboojigga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Little Rock AFB, Arkansas
Posts: 7,993
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Iwata: Xbox Live and PSN are too far developed for Nintendo to catch up

Current online platforms 'not particularly well suited' to the Nintendo approach

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/353614/iwata-xbox-live-and-psn-are-too-far-developed-for-nintendo-to-catch-up/

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata believes that the numerous years Sony and Microsoft have spent developing their online platforms has left Nintendo behind and that rushing to "overcome or catch up" to them wouldn't be a smart strategy.

Wii U Screenshot At an investor relations meeting during E3 Iwata was asked how Nintendo's online strategy will differentiate, catch up to, surpass and compete with Microsoft, Sony, iOS and Android.

Iwata answered by saying that current online gaming networks can't be replicated on the Wii U, and admitted the competition is too far ahead for Nintendo to catch up.

"I think that what we see in terms of online gaming networks on existing dedicated gaming platforms is not particularly well suited to the approach Nintendo has taken," he said.

"Therefore, I can't sit here and say to you that we can very quickly overcome or catch up to other companies, which began to work in the online field from many years ago and have been building these online networks on other platforms, and I don't think that would be a smart strategy, either."

Instead of emulating its competitors, Nintendo will be using Miiverse as the foundation to build its online platform on. Although the Nintendo president enthusiastically described the various social applications of the Wii U Miiverse, he did not address aspects such as multiplayer, market transactions and connectivity.

"We think that one fun area of possibility, as we have discussed, is for people not just to enjoy the games but also communicate with others about topics relating to the games," he said.

"We also believe that the 'Miiverse' will serve the purpose of giving people an opportunity to discover other games that they haven't yet started playing.

"In other words, please think that we have built an integrated recommendation engine into the Wii U system's main menu screen."

In the interview he also confirmed that Wii U will support free-to-play games and microtransactions.

The 5.0 is here
mboojigga is online now  
post #274 of 1142 Old 06-14-2012, 10:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
moothemagiccow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 881
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
It's kind of a vague quote. The thing that's actually developed about PSN/XBL is multiplayer. Everything else on PSN is terrible or mediocre.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

moothemagiccow is offline  
post #275 of 1142 Old 06-14-2012, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Leo_Ames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,423
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

The GamePad has its own Wiimote sensor bar built in...

Like I said, that was a pre E3 2011 rumor/speculation. Nintendo never said anything of the sort and since concrete information started to appear a year ago, we now know that the gamepad and Wii controllers will be routinely used together.

So it's obvious why the sensor bar can't be integrated onto the gamepad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

No joke. But it may not be too bad. The GamePad and new Xbox-style controller have the same buttons. The only difference is the screen and shape. The Wii Remote is the one oddball. The motion controls in the Wii Remote can all be replicated using the GamePad, but the tricky part would be the buttons. My guess is that third-party developers won't bother adapting controls for the Wii Remote--especially for multiplatform games.
So basically, keep the Wii Remote around for old Wii games. Otherwise, use one of the new controllers. Hopefully the new d-pads will be good for platformers and the like.

Equal playing fields won't be an issue when desired...

Need two analog sticks? Restrict compatible controllers to the tablet, either variant of the Classic Controller, or the new Pro Controller.

Need just a single analog stick and 3 or 4 buttons? Allow a Wiimote/Nunchuck combo or any of the previous three options to be used.

Want full blown Wii waggle motion controls? Limit it to just Wiimotes (And Nunchucks when required).

Want traditional digital controls with a bit of motion for something like a 2D/2.5D platformer? Restrict it to sideways Wiimotes ala what has been exhibited for New Super Mario Brothers Wii U (Player's will use Wiimotes unless you want a young child to play along with the tablet pad helping the other player's by placing blocks with the touch screen).

Other than perhaps a bit of scattered confusion (And I should think the variety of options available for 5 years on the Wii will have much of the consumer base used to looking at the icons on the back of their case to figure out what controller options they have available), it all strikes me as a nonissue. Symmetric multiplayer will be easily achievable when desired with a variety of controllers available for any setup a developer wants to utilize.
Leo_Ames is offline  
post #276 of 1142 Old 06-15-2012, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jwebb1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 8,339
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Turns out it's a sensor "strip" w/ camera in the center. Touch strip?


700

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

jwebb1970 is offline  
post #277 of 1142 Old 06-15-2012, 01:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
confidenceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monger View Post

As of a year and a half ago there were 65 million wiimotes sold in the US. It's probably not a big concern.
More importantly, it could actually be an asset. What better way to convince people to invest in expensive new hardware than backwards compatible peripherals? For a good while, the Wavebird was the best controller available for most Wii games. And this gen has been loaded with even more plastic. Most of it sitting in closets or making the rounds on Craigslist. Why not put it back to use?

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
confidenceman is offline  
post #278 of 1142 Old 06-15-2012, 03:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,609
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 1426
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monger View Post

As of a year and a half ago there were 65 million wiimotes sold in the US. It's probably not a big concern.
More importantly, it could actually be an asset. What better way to convince people to invest in expensive new hardware than backwards compatible peripherals? For a good while, the Wavebird was the best controller available for most Wii games. And this gen has been loaded with even more plastic. Most of it sitting in closets or making the rounds on Craigslist. Why not put it back to use?

Theoretically it's fine. I just see it as being a mess in practice. It's a huge problem if someone buys a game and then when they bring it home they don't have the right controller. How do you even know what the right controller is going to be when you've got three options? And not only that, but older wiimotes don't even have the motionplus/gyro, so devs can't even rely on that.

This is Nintendo we're talking about, it's supposed to be user friendly. The wavebird was useful in *very few* games, it was hardly a primary controller. I cant think of anything other than SNES games where you absolutely needed one. Wii had one primary controller - the wiimote/nunchuk. The rest were marginal, because they didn't come in the box. If they didnt put the nunchuk in, devs would hardly have used it.

I don't think it's a bad thing at all to reuse the wiimote - but it needs to be packed in.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is online now  
post #279 of 1142 Old 06-15-2012, 03:45 AM
 
darklordjames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 7,909
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Again guys, the Sensor Bar is the same thing that it has always been. Look at any Wii U video using Wii Remotes that shows a real TV and you'll see the regular Sensor Bar hanging out just like it always has. The Sensor Strip around the camera on the GamePad is also a sensor bar. It's really just two IR lights on either side of that camera covered in IR-transparent plastic. How do we know this? Look at any demo that points the Wii Remote at the GamePad, such as the golf demo that shows the GamePad displaying the ball on the ground while the user swings a Wii Remote. There are a couple others that show the Wii Remote being used with the GamePad in a slower, cursor-style fashion, though I can't recall which ones off the top of my head.

It's just a short Sensor Bar embedded in the face of the GamePad. smile.gif

As for the argument over too many control options? The GamePad is just a 360 gamepad, which everybody already knows how to use, with a DS screen attached to it, which everyone already knows how to use. Every system comes with one of these. The other dominant option will be the Wii Remote plus Nunchuck, which everybody also already knows how to use. Everybody here already owns at least one of these, regardless of whether one is packed in with the Wii U. The Controller Pro will be a distant third in use, as the Classic Controller is now. Besides, the Controller Pro adds nothing that the GamePad doesn't already do. It is of no consideration when thinking "which one will I be required to use?". Being worried about the control options at this point is just silly.
darklordjames is offline  
post #280 of 1142 Old 06-15-2012, 03:51 AM
 
darklordjames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 7,909
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I'm actually quite disappointed that the Wii Remote wasn't deprecated, making the Wii Remote Plus the minimum requirement. Having Motion Plus as a guaranteed feature would have been healthier for the system overall.

That would actually make the number of control options a whole lot less ridiculous to discuss, as it would be less certain that we all already have one.
darklordjames is offline  
post #281 of 1142 Old 06-15-2012, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
moothemagiccow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 881
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Theoretically it's fine. I just see it as being a mess in practice. It's a huge problem if someone buys a game and then when they bring it home they don't have the right controller. How do you even know what the right controller is going to be when you've got three options? And not only that, but older wiimotes don't even have the motionplus/gyro, so devs can't even rely on that.
This is Nintendo we're talking about, it's supposed to be user friendly. The wavebird was useful in *very few* games, it was hardly a primary controller. I cant think of anything other than SNES games where you absolutely needed one. Wii had one primary controller - the wiimote/nunchuk. The rest were marginal, because they didn't come in the box. If they didnt put the nunchuk in, devs would hardly have used it.
I don't think it's a bad thing at all to reuse the wiimote - but it needs to be packed in.

Wii games have always had the necessary controllers printed on the back of the box, top right corner.

It's pretty clear the wiipad is going to be the primary controller. Is there something new that says a wiimote will not be included with the system? I was pretty sure it would be included.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

moothemagiccow is offline  
post #282 of 1142 Old 06-15-2012, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jwebb1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 8,339
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames 
It's just a short Sensor Bar embedded in the face of the GamePad. smile.gif

That is what I had thought, esp since we have already seen the golf demo. I posted the Wii U pic just to show Leo I was not 100% crazy & at least 40% correct.wink.gif

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

jwebb1970 is offline  
post #283 of 1142 Old 06-15-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,609
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 1426
Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Theoretically it's fine. I just see it as being a mess in practice. It's a huge problem if someone buys a game and then when they bring it home they don't have the right controller. How do you even know what the right controller is going to be when you've got three options? And not only that, but older wiimotes don't even have the motionplus/gyro, so devs can't even rely on that.
This is Nintendo we're talking about, it's supposed to be user friendly. The wavebird was useful in *very few* games, it was hardly a primary controller. I cant think of anything other than SNES games where you absolutely needed one. Wii had one primary controller - the wiimote/nunchuk. The rest were marginal, because they didn't come in the box. If they didnt put the nunchuk in, devs would hardly have used it.
I don't think it's a bad thing at all to reuse the wiimote - but it needs to be packed in.

Wii games have always had the necessary controllers printed on the back of the box, top right corner.

It's pretty clear the wiipad is going to be the primary controller. Is there something new that says a wiimote will not be included with the system? I was pretty sure it would be included.

They haven't said one way or another.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is online now  
post #284 of 1142 Old 06-15-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ThisOneKidMongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 2,630
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Yeah, I'm not foreseeing any overly huge amount of controller confusion. The Pro controller is really just an alternate, smaller version of the GamePad (never will a game work with only the Pro controller, as you could always sub in the Gamepad instead). I'm also expecting most Wiimote-centric games to have a GamePad control option as well, even if it's kinda half-assed and doesn't work that well. The GamePad has motion controls, and the second analog or touchscreen could sub in for pointer controls with varying degrees of crudeness. Parents would just be happy the game they bought works with the primary controller at all, and the hardcore audience would already have Wiimote lying around anyway.

I too wish they'd go ahead and only support Motion+ Wiimotes going forward. That needs to be the baseline tech for motion controls on Nintendo consoles. It's nice to think everyone can just keep using their launch Wiimotes, but come on, those are what, seven years old? I think it's a fair compromise to ask original Wii owners to at least use the Motion+ dongles/controllers several million of us have lying around from Wii Sports Resort/Skyward Sword anyway.
ThisOneKidMongo is offline  
post #285 of 1142 Old 06-15-2012, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WizarDru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,031
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Honestly, the motion plus stuff is more confusing to non-gamers than the gamepad will be. I have an investment in controllers and classic controllers that gets retained this way, which is a big selling point. One thing that happened during the gamecube days was the game FInal Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles let you use Gameboy Advances as controllers with subscreens and such. Many people complained at the time, but that fact was that there were 5x-10x more GBAs in the wild than gamecubes (and Penny Arcade lampooned), so the limitation wasn't the GBA requirement.

This will be no more or less confusing than having Kinect controls, Move controls and so on. Designers are already writing games to mutli-controls systems (plenty of wii games support the classic controller, for example), so it's not that big of a deal, IMHO.
WizarDru is offline  
post #286 of 1142 Old 06-15-2012, 11:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,609
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 1426
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

Yeah, I'm not foreseeing any overly huge amount of controller confusion. The Pro controller is really just an alternate, smaller version of the GamePad (never will a game work with only the Pro controller, as you could always sub in the Gamepad instead). I'm also expecting most Wiimote-centric games to have a GamePad control option as well, even if it's kinda half-assed and doesn't work that well. The GamePad has motion controls, and the second analog or touchscreen could sub in for pointer controls with varying degrees of crudeness. Parents would just be happy the game they bought works with the primary controller at all, and the hardcore audience would already have Wiimote lying around anyway.

I too wish they'd go ahead and only support Motion+ Wiimotes going forward. That needs to be the baseline tech for motion controls on Nintendo consoles. It's nice to think everyone can just keep using their launch Wiimotes, but come on, those are what, seven years old? I think it's a fair compromise to ask original Wii owners to at least use the Motion+ dongles/controllers several million of us have lying around from Wii Sports Resort/Skyward Sword anyway.

Well, with asymmetric MP, the only thing that makes sense is to code down to the least common denominator. The LCD between a wiimote and a CC Pro is just a dpad and 2 buttons, so I think motion control becomes irrelevant in those cases.

IMO the only way this system will even justify its existence is with unique titles. The gamepad isn't terribly unique. The wiimote still is, especially the wiimote plus. They can't leverage that without putting one in the box. I think if they pack in a wiimote plus, they can effectively close the door on non-motionplus. It'll at least allow devs to justify making games with it as a baseline.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is online now  
post #287 of 1142 Old 06-15-2012, 11:56 AM
 
darklordjames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 7,909
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 93
"justify it's existence with unique titles"

Umm, that's how every console works. Congrats on the most blinding obvious statement of the thread. wink.gif
darklordjames is offline  
post #288 of 1142 Old 06-15-2012, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Leo_Ames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,423
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 205
My apologies jwebb1970, I didn't think about the possibility that Nintendo would support people looking at the touch screen while using their Wii remotes. Will be interesting to see if Wii releases will support being streamed to it as well or if the situation will end up like remote play did on the PS3/PSP.

As for Wiimotes, I view that as a nonissue. I have little doubt that a Wii Motion Plus remote will be a standard part of the console package. And between that and so many Motion Plus users already being out there thanks to things like Wii Sports Resort (Which mandates it and has been extremely popular) and Skyward Sword, I don't think they'd have to mandate Motion Plus for it to see widespread use by developers. Everyone will have at least one Motion Plus remote and many will have more than just one without buying additional accessories.

What I'm curious about is if a nunchuck will be packed in as well. Many of the motion heavy games on the Wii that Nintendo will want to see continue thriving on the Wii U primarily have relied on the Wiimote by itself (And many projects that used both like FPS's, 3D Mario platformers, and such will likely gravitate towards traditional gamepad controls I bet) . And with so many Wii's out there already and with the nunchuck never having changed (unlike the Wiimote), I could see that not being included with every Wii U sold.

Was sort of hoping for an official wireless nunchuck with the reciever integrated into the Wiimote, but if we haven't heard about one yet,, it's not going to happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

This is Nintendo we're talking about, it's supposed to be user friendly. The wavebird was useful in *very few* games, it was hardly a primary controller. I cant think of anything other than SNES games where you absolutely needed one.

GameCube controllers like a Wavebird were only required when playing GCN software on a Wii. SuperNes games were best enjoyed with the Classic Controller and I think many VC users only would use a GCN pad for N64 downloads.

Glad it supported my WaveBird though. The occasional release shined with it I think like Mario Kart Wii.
Leo_Ames is offline  
post #289 of 1142 Old 06-15-2012, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jwebb1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 8,339
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

My apologies jwebb1970, I didn't think about the possibility that Nintendo would support people looking at the touch screen while using their Wii remotes. Will be interesting to see if Wii releases will support being streamed to it as well or if the situation will end up like remote play did on the PS3/PSP.

No apologies needed, Leo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames 
As for Wiimotes, I view that as a nonissue. I have little doubt that a Wii Motion Plus remote will be a standard part of the console package. And between that and so many Motion Plus users already being out there thanks to things like Wii Sports Resort (Which mandates it and has been extremely popular) and Skyward Sword, I don't think they'd have to mandate Motion Plus for it to see widespread use by developers. Everyone will have at least one Motion Plus remote and many will have more than just one without buying additional accessories.

What I'm curious about is if a nunchuck will be packed in as well. Many of the motion heavy games on the Wii that Nintendo will want to see continue thriving on the Wii U primarily have relied on the Wiimote by itself (And many projects that used both like FPS's, 3D Mario platformers, and such will likely gravitate towards traditional gamepad controls I bet) . And with so many Wii's out there already and with the nunchuck never having changed (unlike the Wiimote), I could see that not being included with every Wii U sold.
Was sort of hoping for an official wireless nunchuck with the reciever integrated into the Wiimote, but if we haven't heard about one yet,, it's not going to happen.
GameCube controllers like a Wavebird were only required when playing GCN software on a Wii. SuperNes games were best enjoyed with the Classic Controller and I think many VC users only would use a GCN pad for N64 downloads.
Glad it supported my WaveBird though. The occasional release shined with it I think like Mario Kart Wii.

With you on the M+ issue. I also expect a conscious gravitation toward either the Pad or the new Classic for many of the more "hardcore"-leaning titles & multiplatfom stuff. And it was nice to see the more "core Wii games like SSBB and (to an extent in terms of hardcore) MK Wii offer GCN controller support

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

jwebb1970 is offline  
post #290 of 1142 Old 06-15-2012, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jwebb1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 8,339
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
FYI - Reggie Fils-Aime will be bringing Wii U to Jimmy Fallon's Friday night show this week...those of you on the east coast probably know this by now if you are tuned in.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

jwebb1970 is offline  
post #291 of 1142 Old 06-18-2012, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
moothemagiccow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 881
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17

It seems like they just don't get that they can have different screens and different experiences online. The spy party game that kept being brought up just sounds to me like assassins creed's multiplayer.
The living room might be superior but they still need to draw in the people who throw out cash for xbox live and the latest war game.

Some combination would be great. I'd love an online / local 2 player mario kart without a split screen.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

moothemagiccow is offline  
post #292 of 1142 Old 06-18-2012, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
confidenceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow View Post

The spy party game that kept being brought up just sounds to me like assassins creed's multiplayer.
I believe Spy Party went into development around the same time as AssBro's, but since Spy Party is the work of one person, it's taken a bit longer to get finished.

Also, AC Brotherhood's multiplayer wasn't the first to use that design. The Ship and its followup Bloody Good Time are its direct predecessor. There isn't much difference between Bloody Good Time and AssBro's multiplayer. AssBro just brought that design into the mainstream. In fact, Ubisoft bought Outerlight (the developers behind The Ship and Bloody Good Time), then killed off the studio, then stole their ideas to make AC's multiplayer.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
confidenceman is offline  
post #293 of 1142 Old 06-18-2012, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
moothemagiccow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 881
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Apparently there was a similar game, "Thief" I think it was, on one of the collections that everyone seems to be pointing to as the Wiiu's strength. As you say, it's not much of a novel idea.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

moothemagiccow is offline  
post #294 of 1142 Old 06-18-2012, 08:41 PM
 
darklordjames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 7,909
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Really guys? This is what you're arguing over? If the uniqueness of any single idea is genuinely your concern, then please just stop playing games right now. While you're at it, please also stop commenting about the games that you aren't playing.

Gaming is iteration, just as every great idea is. If a core idea has no value after being implemented the first time, then every FPS after Wolfenstein has been pointless drivel. COD4 did nothing better than Doom in terms of multiplayer, right? Why did we ever make a Final Fantasy VI? Dragon Quest I already did everything that an RPG was ever going to do.

You may as well stop watching movies or listening to music as well. Somebody already played a guitar once. Good enough, right? If fact, what are you doing here reading words on a screen? You've read one book I presume. Why read or write anything else ever again? It's been done.
darklordjames is offline  
post #295 of 1142 Old 06-18-2012, 10:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
moothemagiccow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 881
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Not really arguing. The press has been covering Nintendo playing up asymmetry like it's the first one to do it, like wii's motion control or 360's HD graphics, and quoting the Nintendo bigwigs as saying online is an afterthought. I just think they need a better selling point. Games have effectively had asymmetric play since the start of LAN multiplayer.

I've been a wii cheerleader for the past few years. I really want them to succeed, but I don't see them making the right choices.
http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/nintendo-has-two-choices-fix-the-wii-u-marketing-or-get-screwed

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

moothemagiccow is offline  
post #296 of 1142 Old 06-19-2012, 06:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,609
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 1426
Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow View Post

Not really arguing. The press has been covering Nintendo playing up asymmetry like it's the first one to do it, like wii's motion control or 360's HD graphics, and quoting the Nintendo bigwigs as saying online is an afterthought. I just think they need a better selling point. Games have effectively had asymmetric play since the start of LAN multiplayer.

I've been a wii cheerleader for the past few years. I really want them to succeed, but I don't see them making the right choices.
http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/nintendo-has-two-choices-fix-the-wii-u-marketing-or-get-screwed

Indeed. It just doesn't have the same excitement factor as the wii. The first time you saw the Wii it was hard to believe it even worked at all. Everyone just had to get their hands on it and try it.

If you believe the leaks, the upcoming Xbox Fortaleza glasses would have that wow factor. Unreal engine 4 has it. It's still quite possible to get excited not only over something that hasn't been done before, but that hardly even seems possible. Wii U captures none of that magic.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is online now  
post #297 of 1142 Old 06-19-2012, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
confidenceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

Really guys? This is what you're arguing over? If the uniqueness of any single idea is genuinely your concern, then please just stop playing games right now. While you're at it, please also stop commenting about the games that you aren't playing.
We weren't arguing. Not sure why you're so huffy, though. I'm putting you back on my ignore list. You consistently try to bring out the worst in people for no good reason across all of these message boards.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
confidenceman is offline  
post #298 of 1142 Old 06-19-2012, 07:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,609
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 1426
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

Really guys? This is what you're arguing over? If the uniqueness of any single idea is genuinely your concern, then please just stop playing games right now. While you're at it, please also stop commenting about the games that you aren't playing.
We weren't arguing. Not sure why you're so huffy, though. I'm putting you back on my ignore list. You consistently try to bring out the worst in people for no good reason across all of these message boards.

+1

Was about to say the same thing.

Relax, bro.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is online now  
post #299 of 1142 Old 06-19-2012, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jwebb1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 8,339
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

We weren't arguing. Not sure why you're so huffy, though. I'm putting you back on my ignore list. You consistently try to bring out the worst in people for no good reason across all of these message boards.

Dude - I think you must be confusing darklordjames for another long time AVS gadfly that went by the handle of BASHERS33. While I attribute BASHERS33's old attitude in part to some sort of legit mental defect (based on his post grammer as well as some occasionally crazy statements), the guy was known around here & elsewhere in gaming talk as (in the words of Charlie Murphy) "a habitual line stepper". He even lured me with his brand of unhinged behavior into getting a 72 hr ban from AVS as well as the inability to post in the Zelda thread he started (until it was obvious he had left AVS and/or was banned for good & the mods allowed me back in to talk Hyrule if I desire).

darklordjames is just a smart ass....but then I guess I have a tendancy to gravitate towards fellow smart asses. Never had an issue with him, or really anyone else, on AVS other than the aforementioned whack job that has since left.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

jwebb1970 is offline  
post #300 of 1142 Old 06-19-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,609
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 1426
Nah, he's not a straight up troll, but there's a nasty, condescending edge to his posts that I don't appreciate. This is AVS, it's supposed to be civilized. There are plenty of other forums where letting the beast out is tolerated, even encouraged.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is online now  
Closed Thread Nintendo

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off