Wii U - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1142 Old 09-16-2012, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Angry? Nope. Low tolerance for misinformation and outright lies? Absolutely.

I would expect any reasonable human to have a low tolerance toward people that intentionally feed them bad information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1142 Old 09-16-2012, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
In case any sane people want to call me a liar, or at least correct me:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_game_consoles#United_States

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #543 of 1142 Old 09-16-2012, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Somone at AtariAge raised a good question tonight. Has there been any clarification on if the pack-in game is going to be on a physical disc or a preinstalled download?

Got no desire to buy one at launch and nothing I've seen of Nintendo Land has impressed me, but I suspect when I do make the plunge, that there will be solid bundles just like the 3DS has recieved that include a AAA Nintendo release I actually want.

I hope when that day comes that it will at least be on a physical disc that I can buy a case and print some artwork off for like I had to with Wii Sports and Link's Crossbow Training since I'm sure any physical pack-in game will come in a cardboard sleeve. A download as a pack-in game, while I'm sure it's attractive from their viewpoint, isn't particularly appealing to me.
post #544 of 1142 Old 09-16-2012, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

Somone at AtariAge raised a good question tonight. Has there been any clarification on if the pack-in game is going to be on a physical disc or a preinstalled download?
Got no desire to buy one at launch and nothing I've seen of Nintendo Land has impressed me, but I suspect when I do make the plunge, that there will be solid bundles just like the 3DS has recieved that include a AAA Nintendo release I actually want.
I hope when that day comes that it will at least be on a physical disc that I can buy a case and print some artwork off for like I had to with Wii Sports and Link's Crossbow Training since I'm sure any physical pack-in game will come in a cardboard sleeve. A download as a pack-in game, while I'm sure it's attractive from their viewpoint, isn't particularly appealing to me.

I forget the interview but it's a physical disc. He didn't know whether it would be in the full case or a sleeve though.

edit: Here we go
Quote:
Wii U Premium's Nintendo Land pack-in will be physical disc, no details on packaging

I was surprised to see just how many of you guys and gals wanted to know what sort of packaging Nintendo Land would given inside of the Wii U premium bundle. As you remember, Wii Sports was a paper sleeve. Would Nintendo Land get the same treatment?

At your request, I posed this question to Nintendo's Marc Franklin. He said that Nintendo Land will indeed be a physical disc and not pre-installed software on the system. As far as the packaging, he honestly didn't know. He also said it was good to hear this kind of feedback. Let's hope that all adds up to the decision for an official case at launch!
post #545 of 1142 Old 09-17-2012, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:

Nintendo is more cognizant than the other manufacturers of the fact that many gamers still don't have internet connections, let alone connected consoles. There'd be no way to replace that pre-installed download for those people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Dude, why are you always so angry?
He speaks in absolutes and universals, so he's bound to get angry when others disagree because in his mind it's like someone calling the sky red. I just keep darklord on ignore and only peek under the curtain every once in a while.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #546 of 1142 Old 09-17-2012, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:

Found some stuff about Wii mode. Also found stuff that makes it sound like they're going to rerelease past classics via the WiiU's eShop. So I'm wondering now if I want to play Link to the Past upscaled to HD if they're expecting me to pay $8 more to buy the WiiU release via the WiiU's eShop despite having the Wii compatible download residing on my WiiU accessible via Wii mode (hopefully it will just handle non Wii compatible items like their talked about GameCube downloads instead of enhanced versions of downloads already playable on the Wii... will leave a sour taste in many to get new VC downloads of downloads already playable on their WiiU that offer visual enhancements with HD tv's in mind).
Anyone heard anything about being able to stream Wii content to the WiiU's screen? Wouldn't be too useful beyond Classic Controller enabled games (Although it does integrate a sensor bar onto it). but I have several Wii games in mind that seem like they'd be good candidates to play in that fashion like Data East Arcade Classics. Not to mention the Virtual Console library.
Speaking of the existing Virtual Console, any word on compatible controllers? Just Wiimotes and Wii Classic Controllers? Or will they allow the gamepad and the Pro Controller to also function with Virtual Console releases (They have everything that a Classic Controller has... only question is if Nintendo has programmed the WiiU's OS to allow them to function in that area)?
Too bad there's zero chance of it allowing compatible WiiU controllers to be utilized for titles that had GCN controller support. At least one Wii release and I imagine a handful of others had GameCube controller support but no Classic Controller support during the early days of the platform when Nintendo wanted the Classic Controller to be a pure Virtual Console accessory. Would be a useful function to some (at least those that still fire up Metal Slug Anthology on occasion).

http://techland.time.com/2012/09/17/nintendo-wii-u-is-core-enough-and-its-the-most-innovative-game-system-ever-made/

As to playing existing Wii games on the GamePad screen...this article says "no". Wii discs will have to be displayed on the TV screen. Wii U games - and maybe VC/WiiWare (not sure on these) - will be able to hop over to the GamePad screen.

As to controller options, I do recall the info I read/saw over the weekend regarding COD:BLOPS2 on Wii U. It will run with any & all controller combos - with and apparently without the GamePad if you wish. You can use the Pad by itself, use it with another controller option for just the 2nd screen business or not at all apparently. The game will also work using the Wii point & shoot method of Wiimote/nunchuk. As to VC/WiiWare....the GamePad seems like a logical controller, due to its button layout for older titles....and why wouldn't the Pro Controller function as a Classic? Outside of an issue of those VC games "needing" a Wiimote-powered Classic, I would think the Pro would be compatible as well.

Still wondering if my RB DLC will be playable on a Wii U (running in Wii Mode, of course).

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #547 of 1142 Old 09-17-2012, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

Still wondering if my RB DLC will be playable on a Wii U (running in Wii Mode, of course).
I'd hope that at least part of the reason for the Wii Mode is to minimize issues like lag (whether input lag, or AV lag).

post #548 of 1142 Old 09-17-2012, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow View Post

FYI, those numbers a laughably old...Do you really think that the 360 hasn't even sold 12 million units in the US? eek.gif

Anyway, I think most USA numbers put the Wii at a little more than 40 million, the 360 a little less than 40 million and the PS3 around 25 million.
post #549 of 1142 Old 09-17-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I'm still trying to build up excitement for this thing, but I'm just having trouble. I've watched almost every demoed game so far, but there just hasn't been anything compelling to make me say that I have to have it. And for the system itself it still feels like they're just throwing things to the wall to see what sticks, and to me the whole thing seems like a huge clusterf*** at the moment.

I'm sure I'll end up with one eventually for Zelda and Mario, but I'm still just not seeing anything that thrills me here. The closest to doing that is ZombiU, because they seem to actually be doing interesting things with the controller. Other than that though, there's nothing yet that has been able to justify my having an additional device in the living room like that (of course this is all for me personally, and I'm sure there's enough there for some other people.)

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #550 of 1142 Old 09-17-2012, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:

As to controller options, I do recall the info I read/saw over the weekend regarding COD:BLOPS2 on Wii U. It will run with any & all controller combos - with and apparently without the GamePad if you wish. You can use the Pad by itself, use it with another controller option for just the 2nd screen business or not at all apparently. The game will also work using the Wii point & shoot method of Wiimote/nunchuk.

That's a WiiU release though. That wasn't really what I was inquiring about since I'm quite sure we will see WiiU releases with a full range of controller options just like we saw with Wii releases like Mario Kart Wii from time to time.

My question was more about backwards compatibility controller options.
Quote:

As to VC/WiiWare....the GamePad seems like a logical controller, due to its button layout for older titles....and why wouldn't the Pro Controller function as a Classic? Outside of an issue of those VC games "needing" a Wiimote-powered Classic, I would think the Pro would be compatible as well.

And it seems reasonable if we were to go back 6 years to expect the Classic Controller to function in GameCube software and for the GameCube controller to function in any Wii release that also had Classic Controller support. In reality though, that wasn't the case. And particularly with word about the Wii entering "Wii Mode" to achieve backwards compatibility, it seemed like a valid question to ask if the console in that mode will be able to utilize WiiU specific accessories in place of their Wii counterparts for Wii releases that had some form of gamepad support.

Hence the question on if they'e coded their OS this time around to account for such things or if we're going to have strange limitations again despite controllers that on the surface appear as ideal substitutes for one another.
post #551 of 1142 Old 09-17-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And it seems reasonable if we were to go back 6 years to expect the Classic Controller to function in GameCube software and for the GameCube controller to function in any Wii release that also had Classic Controller support. In reality though, that wasn't the case. And particularly with word about the Wii entering "Wii Mode" to achieve backwards compatibility, it seemed like a valid question to ask if the console in that mode will be able to utilize WiiU specific accessories in place of their Wii counterparts for Wii releases that had some form of gamepad support.
Hence the question on if they'e coded their OS this time around to account for such things or if we're going to have strange limitations again despite controllers that on the surface appear as ideal substitutes for one another.

One would hope that they listened to complaints ( I assume there were some) regarding what you speak of. Cannot see it being that hard for the system to be built as to recognize a "newer", yet physically compatible, controller while operating as a Wii for certain games (Wii U Pro controller in MK Wii, for example - as well as the VC titles). Then again, if they figure there are X amount of Wiimotes/etc in the wild to not pack one with WiiU....who knows? Seeing that there are claims (incl from Reggie himself, IIRC) that VC/WiiWare will be transferrable @ launch...and Wii U comes packed with just the GamePad....perhaps said touchscreen controller will act as the Swiss Army Knife for Wii U's BW-compatibility options? One can hope, at least....

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #552 of 1142 Old 09-17-2012, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 159
I'm really trying to get excited for the Wii U but I can't find very many reasons to other than seeing a new Mario and Zelda in HD. All I can do is wait and see until then.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #553 of 1142 Old 09-17-2012, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

I'm really trying to get excited for the Wii U but I can't find very many reasons to other than seeing a new Mario and Zelda in HD. All I can do is wait and see until then.
I'm excited for the hardware, but without the games, there's no point in my rushing out to buy one at launch.

There are some highlights on the horizon, but I think they're expecting to sell the hardware through the holidays on novelty alone. You'd think they would have learned their lesson after the 3DS launch. They keep pitching their "big" lineup of "launch window" games, but in reality, their "launch window" runs all the way into March 2013. I think Nintendo desperately wanted to make a global late fall release, so that meant sacrificing a strong lineup. For the most part, it will be a bunch of PS3/360 ports for the first few months.

I definitely want to play The Wonderful 101 and Rayman Legends. But not enough to buy the system. And I have a sneaking suspicion we'll see Rayman Legends eventually make its way onto other platforms...

post #554 of 1142 Old 09-17-2012, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
I really hope availability doesn't ruin anyone's Christmas!

I remember the Wii launch, I didn't expect it to be big at all. I went to Nintendo World in NYC...waited on line forever and got my unit. They had sold out of Twilight Princess and a few other titles though. Later that day they actually sold out of Wiis.

I then hiked over to the Toys R Us on 42nd street to pick up Twilight Princess. It was a crazy house there. They entire lower floor was pandamonium. They had bins of the titles and accessories out, people were throwing that stuff all over looking for what they wanted. Wiis sold out when I was in the store. People were less than happy. I bought my copy of TP and ran the hell out of there.

Invited some friends over, setup my wii, inserted Wii Sports.....and they disc drive was busted!!! Pretty embarrassing in front of my friends.

Anyhow I've locked down two preorders. If I get both I'll return one or sell it at cost to a buddy or family with a kid. Hate to see people get ripped.

post #555 of 1142 Old 09-18-2012, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I hadn't realized quite how widespread the preorder sellouts were. I figured I'd be okay walking into various B&Ms in NYC but so far no luck. I’m assuming this is part scalpers/part intentional strategy to build hype. And well, it’s working. I was ambivalent before. Now I really want one. Nintendo World NYC, you may be my only hope.
post #556 of 1142 Old 09-18-2012, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

I hadn't realized quite how widespread the preorder sellouts were. I figured I'd be okay walking into various B&Ms in NYC but so far no luck. I’m assuming this is part scalpers/part intentional strategy to build hype. And well, it’s working. I was ambivalent before. Now I really want one. Nintendo World NYC, you may be my only hope.

Willing to bet at least 25% if not more of pre-orders will be those scalping the system. I know I contemplated doing it in order to continue to fund my addiction of blus/video games. The simple way an end comes to scalping
is for these companies to not bring out out their systems with insufficient stock. With games you see at best on release week maybe a 10% surcharge of those that will not buy a game going to the store willing to pay a little extra to not bother with the store/crowds,etc but that's about it. The systems obviously you see it get as crazy as twice as much as what they sold in the stores.
post #557 of 1142 Old 09-18-2012, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
sadly, it's part of the reason I went ahead and preordered even though I'm not extremely excited about the system. I was worried that if/when I did finally decide I wanted one there wouldn't be any available and all the scalpers would be selling them for insane prices on eBay.
post #558 of 1142 Old 09-18-2012, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow View Post

This list is more up to date:

http://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/
post #559 of 1142 Old 09-18-2012, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irfan View Post

This list is more up to date:
http://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/
vgchartz is notoriously incorrect in its numbers. It's universally assumed that they just make up their numbers. I'd trust old numbers from wikipedia before I trusted new ones from vgchartz.

post #560 of 1142 Old 09-18-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

vgchartz is notoriously incorrect in its numbers. It's universally assumed that they just make up their numbers. I'd trust old numbers from wikipedia before I trusted new ones from vgchartz.

Problem is just how out of date they are.

The VG chartz numbers may be made up, but they do correct them once official numbers are known. (and those numbers are very close to the official numbers released by each company.)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #561 of 1142 Old 09-18-2012, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.vg247.com/2012/09/18/zombiu-hands-on-the-dark-souls-of-zombie-games/
Quote:
‘ZombiU is the Dark Souls of zombie games’. You’re going to hear a lot of people say that after the Wii U launches in November. It’s absolutely true, as the game is brutally difficult, and makes no attempt to coddle players as they wade miserably through post apocalyptic London.

One of the magic ingredients that makes a good survival horror game even better is making the player feel dangerously under-resourced, pathetically weak, and continually on the backfoot at all times. If this stresses you out, then ZombiU is not the game for you.

It has been absolutely engineered with hardcore gamers in mind, mixing the continuous dread of games like Amnesia: The Dark Descent with unforgiving trial and error format of Dark Souls. You will die a lot, but with each death you will learn what not to do next time.

Best of all, when you die, it’s entirely your fault and – sorry to put this bluntly readers – down to your own foolish haste and stupidity. It’s not that you’ aren’t smart enough to overcome Ubisoft Montreal’s sadistic challenge, it just takes a lot of practice.

That’s part of the problem. Wii U does have casual players who may take a punt on ZombiU – because, zombies – and that could lead to a lot of copies being traded in shortly after launch.

Our hands-on session starts with a dreary slog through London’s sewer network, and up into the Tower of London’s hidden catacombs. We’ve got a cricket bat – the game’s default, unbreakable melee weapon – and a shotgun with only 30 bullets.

There’s also a flashlight that runs down mercilessly fast, and it takes ages to recharge. Once it’s off, the sewers are seriously pitch black, which is why the Wii U GamePad’s radar screen is helpful for spotting movement in the dark.

Slow movement is the key, as your cricket bat will only down a zombie in about six heavy hits. That’s a lot of attacking needed for just one enemy, so you have to avoid confronting packs of the buggers if you hope to survive long.

You could of course hit them with your firearms – but wouldn’t you know it – gunfire attracts the horde to your location with every single shot, so that’s not a dependable tactic either.

Drawing out zombies one by one using flares does help thin out groups if you have to kill a few of them, or you could lay mines in a tight bottleneck, fire a few shots, and stand back as they rush towards the sound and blow up in meaty, bloody chunks.

There are many ways to play ZombiU, but several truths remain throughout: never ignore your radar and make sure you’re alone before using your inventory. Opening your backpack is activated by simply swiping down on the touch screen, but it renders you immobilised.

You can then drag your favourite items to the hot bar and organise loot gathered from corpses. You only have so many slots, so resource management is yet another problem facing your survivor.

This is where both the respawn and safehouse mechanics come into play. Safehouses do exactly what they suggest – they are respawn zones that play home to crafting benches and lockers that can be used to stash precious loot.

Lockers are crucial, because when you die and respawn as a different survivor, you lose everything – save for your cricket bat, flashlight and a pistol with just six rounds. Back at your point of death, your previous survivor reanimates as a zombie carrying all of your gear.

They aren’t painted on the map either, so say they’re holding that super-upgraded firearm that you spent ages crafting, chances are you will never find them again and the weapon is lost.

This poses a tough choice when faced with an area swarming with the undead. Do you avoid potentially dying and losing your favourite gun – by trudging all the way back to your last safehouse in order to stash it away – or do you rush in hoping that you’ll make it through alive?

You have to constantly make these difficult decisions every step of the way. You’ll ask yourself, ‘Do I walk blindly through the dark undetected, or use my flashlight to see threats even if it leaves me exposed?’

There are times when you may even think, ‘Do I take the long, dangerous, but silent melee route, or do I risk detection by shooting those zombies to create an easy path?’ Everything must be considered. Even travelling through water is a risk.

When wading through water, your survivor lifts their backpack overhead to keep it dry, leaving you utterly defenceless and unable to attack. Rushing through the ravaged streets of London is a recipe for disaster and should be avoided at all cost.

Every inch of the game smacks of Dark Souls, and this comparison is highlighted further by ZombiU’s messaging system, which lets you walk up to walls and leave graffiti tag messages for other players online.

These aren’t actual words, but symbols. So you could select the ‘stairs’ icon and a ‘thumbs down’ – to basically say ‘don’t go downstairs’. There are many symbol combinations geared towards highlighting hazards or killer loot, so it will be interesting to see how these are used – or abused – once servers go live.

Finally – and this is a stroke of genius on Ubisoft Montreal’s part – once one of your survivors dies and then reanimates as a zombie, there’s a chance they will also spawn into your friends’ game too.

So you can hop on Miiverse and say, ‘hey I died at this location holding a brilliant weapon. Go find me to claim it’, and vice-versa. It’s a neat way of sharing weapons and collaborating with other players to beat the game.

It’s hard to step back from comparing ZombiU to Dark Souls, but the parallels are blatant. This isn’t a bad thing however, because survival horror games are supposed to make surviving a struggle, and this is one of those rare games that actually delivers that feeling.

If you’re still not convinced that ZombiU is a ‘hardcore’ game for ‘hardcore’ people, then you should at least check the game out through a friend’s purchase. To all Dark Souls fans, you absolutely need to play this game. It’s that simple.
post #562 of 1142 Old 09-18-2012, 03:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
Wow, that actually made my interest level go down.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #563 of 1142 Old 09-18-2012, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If referring to ZombieU, I am the exact oposite - I must play this game soon!

post #564 of 1142 Old 09-18-2012, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The horrible name alone was enough to turn me off. The name "ZombiU" sounds about as uninspired and generic as possible. I haven't seen anything yet that sets it apart from the countless other first-person zombie games out there other than the fact that it's on Wii U. Even the name makes it sound like that's all it's got going for it.

As ever and always, I'd love to be proven wrong. wink.gif

post #565 of 1142 Old 09-18-2012, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If referring to ZombieU, I am the exact oposite - I must play this game soon!

Yeah, I'm cautiously optimistic for it. The fact that it's Ubisoft and it's a launch title makes me nervous. The details sound great though and it looks fun.

The name is generic and sounds like it came out of the bargain bin but it makes sense. Zombi was the first game published by Ubisoft. And then there's the fact that it's a title and who really cares.
post #566 of 1142 Old 09-18-2012, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
I liked Dark Souls but didn't have the will power to beat it. I'd love to play ZombieU though it looks and sounds fun to me.

post #567 of 1142 Old 09-18-2012, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I cant believe the black ones sold out that fast thank god I got mine the day of announcement.
post #568 of 1142 Old 09-19-2012, 01:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
ZombieU is going to be awesome. Well for those of us who like a challenge, glad theres a true survival horror game coming soon cause RE6 is pretty bad.

post #569 of 1142 Old 09-19-2012, 03:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monger View Post

Yeah, I'm cautiously optimistic for it. The fact that it's Ubisoft and it's a launch title makes me nervous. The details sound great though and it looks fun.
The name is generic and sounds like it came out of the bargain bin but it makes sense. Zombi was the first game published by Ubisoft. And then there's the fact that it's a title and who really cares.

Well, ubisoft has earned a pretty good reputation over the past few years, but I expect very little from launch titles, they tend to be more proof of concept than anything else. So that's kind of one strike against it. It looks like its overly gimmicky, like its using the second screen too much, just because its there. And I've totally grown out of the super difficult style of game....I just dont have the time and the patience anymore. And as much as I typically love zombie games and movies, the entire concept needs like a 5 year break at this point.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #570 of 1142 Old 09-19-2012, 09:01 AM

Liked: 10
Haven't turned on my wii in over a year, my son doesn't remember the last time he thought about it. It was the least used system I have ever owned, and for all intent and purposes, a waste of money. It wont happen again. In the immortal words of Public Enemy " Don't believe the hype"

Menace

I'd rather give you $10 than 10 minutes. I can always earn $10, where do I go to earn 10 minutes.
Closed Thread Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page