Wii U - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #631 of 1142 Old 09-25-2012, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
Flavius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sango View Post

I too don't like the motion enhancement, it sort of makes it unrealistic. I think to people also known as the soap opera effect. Turned that off pretty much all the motion enhancing stuff on the Sony XBR 5 set and it works great at the games I've played besides regular movie/tv watching.

How you people can stand the double image judder effect in 30FPS games with motion interpolation turned off is completely beyond me. Just pan the camera in any decent console game that isn't 60FPS locked. It looks HORRIBLE. Worse if you're using a plasma, because then the ghost image will flash like a strobe light!

To each their own, I guess. I'll take some lag anyday over that. PQ is king.
Flavius is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #632 of 1142 Old 09-25-2012, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
Flavius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfurniss View Post

Back before the Wii launched, it seemed everyone was declaring it a failure before it hit store shelves. Nintendo's different approached to console design had the 'hard core' critics in hysterics over its incapable hardware. Things turned out ok for Nintendo. Microsoft and Sony should really learn from their mistake and focus on making their console experience fun and unique. If all you do increase hardware capabilities, you are stuck with something that a PC will run circles around before you even make it to market.
The Wii U seems to be taking less heat this time around in comparison to its predecessor, and I think it will be just as successful as the wii. What you get with Nintendo is all their first party titles. It doesn't matter if third party support is better or worse, there are other consoles for that. I would be shocked if Microsoft and Sony don't double the capabilities of the Wii U in terms of GPU and CPU, and I don't care. I pre-ordered my Wii U and I can't wait for Pikmin 3.

Right on! But I really don't think Sony and MS are going to even double the power of the Wii U. Wii U already has 2GB RAM. Are they going to include 4GB? Unlikely. And MS will likely be conservative after the RRoD overheating fiasco last time around. The 360 cores are already running at 3.2GHz. Sure CPUs may have improved in efficiency since then, but no CPUs are really running over 4GHz.

Also, by Wii U setting the bar so low, Sony and Microsoft really don't have to work as hard on high end specs. As long as they can beat it a little bit for show, that's all they'll probably bother with. Wii U also has a very compelling upgrade argument. It's finally High Definition. But what upgrade argument will the new Sony and MS consoles have? "Hey, remember the HD consoles we came out with that do HD and 3D games? Well, we lied, now games are REALLY HD and run smoother". That's going to be a TOUGH sell. That's why PS4 is going to support 4K. But who the hell is going to have a 4K TV by the time PS4 comes out? No, I don't think the Wii U has anything to worry about, no wonder its sold out already. New HD capacity AND two screens for the price of one? Very good upgrade proposition.
Flavius is offline  
post #633 of 1142 Old 09-25-2012, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PENDRAG0ON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 558
I had an idea for the eshop the other day.

This will apply to all regions and it deals with imports. As a lot of Nintendo fans know, there were a lot of good Wii and DS games that never left Japan, in the Past Europe missed out on a bunch of good games. Xenoblade and The Last Story are two high profile examples of games that barely made it to the US. The biggest problem can often be judging if the fan demand would translate into high sales. So I had interesting idea based off of kickstarter.

Step 1. Every game regardless of home region has a eshop page. This will make sense shortly.

Step 2. Every page for a game not in your region has a "Kickstart" option to show your support for the game, you will be able to buy $5 worth of Nintendo points through that game's page once and only once to cast a vote for that game to come to your region. A progress bar will show how close it is to each goal. (eshop only release, disc release, limited edition bonus release, it would be up to the game maker to set various goals)

If it does not come, you are out nothing as you have $5 worth of points.

If it does get enough support to be brought over, you receive a $5 off coupon code to be used in store or on the eshop for the game. (your choice) Your early pledge now earns you $5 off the game in addition to the $5 in points, provided you actually buy the game within the allotted time (probably 1-3 months post launch of the game)

This way, Nintendo can accurately judge the fan demand for the game and drum up more eshop business at the same time, both sides win and it encourages people to actually buy the game when it comes out.


So, what does everyone think of my idea? This way EU and NA gamers can show support for games they may never see otherwise. Heck, even if it takes years to hit the goal it may one day happen.

(Side note: the $5 limit on support per game is to keep Nintendo from having to pay too much for the game's coupon on each purchase, as the eshop points also have to be taken into account. $5 would be a safe amount that doesn't get anyone in over their head, Nintendo would make their $5 back on the licensing fee at this pricing limit, any higher and they could go into the hole on each sale)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
PENDRAG0ON is offline  
post #634 of 1142 Old 09-25-2012, 07:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,784
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 1451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfurniss View Post

Back before the Wii launched, it seemed everyone was declaring it a failure before it hit store shelves. Nintendo's different approached to console design had the 'hard core' critics in hysterics over its incapable hardware. Things turned out ok for Nintendo. Microsoft and Sony should really learn from their mistake and focus on making their console experience fun and unique. If all you do increase hardware capabilities, you are stuck with something that a PC will run circles around before you even make it to market.
The Wii U seems to be taking less heat this time around in comparison to its predecessor, and I think it will be just as successful as the wii. What you get with Nintendo is all their first party titles. It doesn't matter if third party support is better or worse, there are other consoles for that. I would be shocked if Microsoft and Sony don't double the capabilities of the Wii U in terms of GPU and CPU, and I don't care. I pre-ordered my Wii U and I can't wait for Pikmin 3.

Right on! But I really don't think Sony and MS are going to even double the power of the Wii U. Wii U already has 2GB RAM. Are they going to include 4GB? Unlikely. And MS will likely be conservative after the RRoD overheating fiasco last time around. The 360 cores are already running at 3.2GHz. Sure CPUs may have improved in efficiency since then, but no CPUs are really running over 4GHz.

Also, by Wii U setting the bar so low, Sony and Microsoft really don't have to work as hard on high end specs. As long as they can beat it a little bit for show, that's all they'll probably bother with. Wii U also has a very compelling upgrade argument. It's finally High Definition. But what upgrade argument will the new Sony and MS consoles have? "Hey, remember the HD consoles we came out with that do HD and 3D games? Well, we lied, now games are REALLY HD and run smoother". That's going to be a TOUGH sell. That's why PS4 is going to support 4K. But who the hell is going to have a 4K TV by the time PS4 comes out? No, I don't think the Wii U has anything to worry about, no wonder its sold out already. New HD capacity AND two screens for the price of one? Very good upgrade proposition.

All you had to do was take one look at those unreal engine 4 demos to get an idea of what the real next gen systems will look like. Its a big difference between UE4 and what we've seen so far from the Wii U. No one but nerds like us will care about resolution or need to hear any arguments, they'll just see something amazing and they're on board.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is offline  
post #635 of 1142 Old 09-25-2012, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
Flavius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

All you had to do was take one look at those unreal engine 4 demos to get an idea of what the real next gen systems will look like. Its a big difference between UE4 and what we've seen so far from the Wii U. No one but nerds like us will care about resolution or need to hear any arguments, they'll just see something amazing and they're on board.

UE4 will most likely run scaled back on next gen consoles compared to a 2012 top of the line PC. Additionally, there is absolutely no reason UE4 can't be made to work on Wii U. The UE is scalable to run even on tablets. In fact, I'm fairly certain that any UE4 next gen game will be ported to Wii U as well, perhaps with some loss in PQ.
Flavius is offline  
post #636 of 1142 Old 09-25-2012, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Leo_Ames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Even if I only ever play 1st party releases in traditional Nintendo franchises like Zelda, this console will be worth it to me. Tech specs don't matter when my only goal here is to continue to get things like Mario platformers and in HD.

The hardware appears like it's going to be up to that task just fine. Anything else good that comes out of it is just going to be icing on the cake for me.

Tech specs on unknown consoles down the road from Microsoft and Sony are about as meaningless as they can be where my interest in the Wii U is concerned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post

There are TONS of 3D games available on the PS3, and more are still coming out with 3D support.

It's not terribly long. And much of the list are PSN releases or games that aren't even out yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_3D_PlayStation_3_games

There's plenty of 3D content available, but I'd say you were exaggerating it just a bit.
Leo_Ames is offline  
post #637 of 1142 Old 09-25-2012, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Sango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Richmond, BC
Posts: 2,028
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post

How you people can stand the double image judder effect in 30FPS games with motion interpolation turned off is completely beyond me. Just pan the camera in any decent console game that isn't 60FPS locked. It looks HORRIBLE. Worse if you're using a plasma, because then the ghost image will flash like a strobe light!
To each their own, I guess. I'll take some lag anyday over that. PQ is king.

I never seen a double image strobe effect when I played my games I played which include the JP imported games. Unless the TV is smart enough to take care of it I never noticed a thing. Couldn't a 30 FPS video panning have a problem too because I watched those too and no problem either.

I wouldn't take the lag especially if its its going to delay it such that I need to sync the audio on the receiver to it.

The other reason I don't have have it on is that it does make me a bit dizzy.
Sango is offline  
post #638 of 1142 Old 09-25-2012, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
confidenceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post

UE4 will most likely run scaled back on next gen consoles compared to a 2012 top of the line PC. Additionally, there is absolutely no reason UE4 can't be made to work on Wii U. The UE is scalable to run even on tablets. In fact, I'm fairly certain that any UE4 next gen game will be ported to Wii U as well, perhaps with some loss in PQ.
No. It will be run a modified version of UE3 (Epic has said as much), but since many big developers will eventually move on to UE4, the Wii ports will eventually dry up around the time that the new consoles launch. And as developers with their own proprietary engines move into next gen tech, they'll also focus less on Wii U ports.

But on a more positive note, it appears that Nintendo is busily securing exclusive contracts with the most talented Japanese studios. IMO Wii U will end up being the go-to console for the best Japan-developed games. Getting two exclusive games from Platinum is huge, and bodes very well for the console.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
confidenceman is offline  
post #639 of 1142 Old 09-25-2012, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PENDRAG0ON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Apparently Retro Studios has been working on a Wii U game engine to be licenced out to other devs. They showed it to Epic and they are now reconsidering their UE4 Wii U support...

http://gengame.net/2012/09/rumor-retro-studios-is-working-on-game-engines-for-wii-u/

While we’re as excited about the prospect of Nintendo’s star Western studio Retro Studios developing a new game, whether it’s an original IP or an existing franchise entry, the silence regarding just what Retro is working on for Wii U has been a little unsettling. Sure, job information suggests that they’re doing something in the games department, but we’ve learned from the Mario Kart 7 story that this doesn’t mean they’re handling their own game. They could just as well be teaming up with another studio to tackle a high-priority project.

According to a new rumor, that’s exactly what’s going on. A connected source told us that Retro Studios has been charged with creating game engines for Wii U and helping other developers implement them. While we didn’t get any specifics on what exactly “other developers” means, our source commented that Retro’s work involves both internal and external projects. The icing on the cake? Apparently Retro showed off their Wii U magic to Epic Games and got them to reconsider bringing Unreal Engine 4 to the system.

As with all rumors, we can’t confirm anything – but we did some digging into Nintendo’s own statements about inter-studio collaborations just for fun. Hop inside to see the results.

I’ll admit, I was rather skeptical that this rumor held any weight at first, but then I did some digging and found another time that Retro Studios and inter-department development were mentioned in the same breath. Fun stuff – it was within the last year.

When asked about whether Nintendo would ever consider partnering Retro Studios up with EAD for a Zelda game, series producer Eiji Aonuma replied:

Nintendo’s developers will continue to work on a number of different titles, and I think that we will have to rely on outside companies for graphics and other elements that require massive resources. I’m satisfied when the cooperation between Nintendo and other companies becomes something meaningful for both parties.

He’s specifically talking about graphics-heavy games – the kinds of games that would demand brand-new graphics engines, intended from the start to be used to create satisfying HD experiences on Wii U. A lot of people may read his comment about “outside companies” as dealing with third-parties, but in fact the context of the interview has more to do with other studios inside Nintendo such as Retro and Xenoblade developer Monolith Soft.

This quote calls to mind something that Nintendo president Satoru Iwata had said just a month earlier, specifically addressing the same topic as it concerned future Wii U software:

Looking at the software for home console systems, there are certainly the software titles for which very rich graphics must be reproduced on HD displays and which demand a large number of developers to spend a very long time to develop. It is one of the truths that a certain number of such software titles must be prepared, or the consumers will not be satisfied. But we do not think that any and all the software must be created in that fashion. When you look at Nintendo’s software, extraordinary rich graphics, massive gameplay volume and astonishing rendition effects are not necessarily the appealing point.

[...] It is not necessary for us to deploy a huge number of people in order to develop such games.

When we need massive power and have a lack of internal resources, we collaborate with outside resources and pour necessary resources to where they are needed. We are increasing the frequency of working with outside developers where Mr. Miyamoto and our internal developers alone used to develop.

[...] As we will showcase the Wii U at E3 in June this year, the detailed announcements must wait until then, but we are aiming to make a system which shall not be forced into competing with the others where the contenders can fight only with massive developer resources and long development times as their weapons. Having said that, however, as I mentioned, it is true that, in some software areas, we need to be engaged in the power games. Take The Legend of Zelda franchise, for example, the fans must be looking for the graphic representations that they do not see as cheap at all when the title is released for the Wii U. When it is necessary, we do not hesitate to role out our resources.

Of note: he’s talking about the same series, making the same remark that Nintendo needs to rely on outside help for the next Zelda to be successful. While that doesn’t necessarily mean he’s talking about Retro Studios specifically, it does strongly suggest that the kind of game engine help that our source says is going on behind the scenes is happening.

We just hope that, should this tip turn out to be bona fide, this doesn’t rule out the possibility of Retro Studios working on something in-house.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
PENDRAG0ON is offline  
post #640 of 1142 Old 09-26-2012, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Leo_Ames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

No. It will be run a modified version of UE3 (Epic has said as much), but since many big developers will eventually move on to UE4, the Wii ports will eventually dry up around the time that the new consoles launch.

Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 releases will continue. Both consoles seem well positioned to enjoy significant life after their replacements launch so I suspect many big 3rd party projects will continue to release on both platforms for several years afterwards.

And with three consoles with similar HP on the marketplace, what you're saying doesn't strike me as a significant problem for Nintendo for at least several more years. It's not going to be like last time around where the money losing Xbox was dropped like a rock, the GameCube was dead before its replacement even arrived, and the next gen Nintendo console wasn't the place to be for 3rd party developers and only had the PS2 with somewhat similar capabilities active on the market to draw from for multiplatform releases.

Wii U s going to have the money making Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 that have active 3rd party support for several years to draw from and the fact that they're going to have 1-2 years before any next gen console even hits helps as well (And if the Vita takes off, that's another well of projects they could pursue for 3rd parties to easily port over). Hopefully by the time 360/PS3 support starts drying up in 3-5 years and many projects become next gen only that the Wii U will have positioned itself as a strong enough force in the market for 3rd party developers to specifically go out of their way to keep supporting despite it being underpowered and requiring more effort to release a game on due to all the changes that would be needed to adapt a next gen project to.
Leo_Ames is offline  
post #641 of 1142 Old 09-26-2012, 01:44 AM
Advanced Member
 
Flavius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I still don't think its as underpowered as you guys think its going to be compared to PS4/Durango.
Flavius is offline  
post #642 of 1142 Old 09-26-2012, 03:33 AM
Advanced Member
 
moothemagiccow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 881
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
It's not, but the second screen is a performance handicap. All this power talk isn't nearly as important as the online multiplayer system they've yet to show any evidence of. That's where the game will be won.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

moothemagiccow is offline  
post #643 of 1142 Old 09-26-2012, 04:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,784
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 1451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post

I still don't think its as underpowered as you guys think its going to be compared to PS4/Durango.

The leaked MS documents specifically quoted 6-8x more powerful. Thats their target, even if we dont have the specs yet. The Wii U is nowhere near that kind of leap...it's going to be significantly underpowered, just like the Wii.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is offline  
post #644 of 1142 Old 09-26-2012, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
voodoozen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 868
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
List of all US launch (Nov. 18) games confirmed by Nintendo this morning:

Quote:
Assassin's Creed 3

Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition

Call of Duty Black Ops 2

Darksiders 2

Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two

EA Sports FIFA Soccer 13

ESPN Sports Connection

Game Party Champions

Just Dance 4

New Super Mario Bros. U

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge

Nintendo Land

Rabbids Land

Scribblenauts Unlimited

Sing Party

Skylanders Giants

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Wii U Edition

Transformers Prime

Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper

Wipeout 3

Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013

ZombiU

Not a lot I'm interested in personally, but I'm sure many folks will be pleased with at least a few of the 23 listed here. Curious to see how game pre-orders go, since WiiU pre-orders seem to be going gangbusters
voodoozen is offline  
post #645 of 1142 Old 09-26-2012, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ThisOneKidMongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 2,644
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I like to tackle one game at a time before even opening another, so I'm quite fine with Nintendo Land and Mario on launch day. But I am definitely interested in ZombiU as well, and might pick up AC3 and Tekken Tag at some point depending on reviews. I like the Scribblenauts games too, but after two DS games and then playing it again on iOS, I'm kind of wondering what else they could really do with the concept.
ThisOneKidMongo is offline  
post #646 of 1142 Old 09-26-2012, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
Blackdevil77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nassau County, Long Island, New York
Posts: 905
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I know I'm very late to this threa. Just felt like mentioning something. The other day Ibwas digging through my closet and found my old Nintendo 64. I decided to hook it up and play some of my old games like Super Mario 64, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Mario Party 1 etc and even though the graphics were so dated and the resolution was a bit strenuous on the eyes, I had a hell of a lot more fun playing these old games then I do playing most of these new games. They just don't make games like they used to anymore. It seems like too much of their concentration is going towards graphics, multi tasking abilities of the consoles etc, but not nearly enough emphasis is going towards the games. Am I the only one who feels this way? I'd love for a new Mario game or Zelda game that I can get into as much as i did with the old ones.
Blackdevil77 is online now  
post #647 of 1142 Old 09-26-2012, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
voodoozen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 868
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post

I know I'm very late to this threa. Just felt like mentioning something. The other day Ibwas digging through my closet and found my old Nintendo 64. I decided to hook it up and play some of my old games like Super Mario 64, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Mario Party 1 etc and even though the graphics were so dated and the resolution was a bit strenuous on the eyes, I had a hell of a lot more fun playing these old games then I do playing most of these new games. They just don't make games like they used to anymore. It seems like too much of their concentration is going towards graphics, multi tasking abilities of the consoles etc, but not nearly enough emphasis is going towards the games. Am I the only one who feels this way? I'd love for a new Mario game or Zelda game that I can get into as much as i did with the old ones.

This is unfortunately very true, and confirmation of that is the recent resurgence (and stunning sales) of old school platformers and simpler, arcadey iOS games. Heck, the new Kirby collection is already selling out, and the newest game on there is from 2000... plus the best games on 3DS are from <2001.


Now all I need is a good 2D Metroid to make me happy. Perhaps WiiU will reignite the flames. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I doubt it. I do expect Prime 4, though!
voodoozen is offline  
post #648 of 1142 Old 09-26-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
confidenceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 releases will continue. Both consoles seem well positioned to enjoy significant life after their replacements launch so I suspect many big 3rd party projects will continue to release on both platforms for several years afterwards.
Yes and no. The industry has lost all of those mid-tier games and developers, and they're the ones who would have traditionally been the most likely to stick to an older console into the next gen. The big boys will be moving into the next consoles. That will, however, leave a lot of the small devs working on PSN/XBLA/indie titles. That's where I think the Wii U could continue to keep pace release wise. I want to believe that you're right, and I hope you are. I just worry that we may end up seeing a lot more ports of 1-2-year-old PS3/360 ports. Regardless, we're in for a solid year and a half of multiplatform goodness in the meantime. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post

I know I'm very late to this threa. Just felt like mentioning something. The other day Ibwas digging through my closet and found my old Nintendo 64. I decided to hook it up and play some of my old games like Super Mario 64, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Mario Party 1 etc and even though the graphics were so dated and the resolution was a bit strenuous on the eyes, I had a hell of a lot more fun playing these old games then I do playing most of these new games. They just don't make games like they used to anymore. It seems like too much of their concentration is going towards graphics, multi tasking abilities of the consoles etc, but not nearly enough emphasis is going towards the games. Am I the only one who feels this way? I'd love for a new Mario game or Zelda game that I can get into as much as i did with the old ones.
Like Voodoozen says, a lot of small developers have picked up on this. We've seen a huge boom in "old school" 2D games this generation that return to gameplay fundamentals. In fact I'd say that many developers do make games like they used to. Some of my favorites this gen are tapping directly into those old design principles and visuals: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, Super Meat Boy, Outland, etc.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
confidenceman is offline  
post #649 of 1142 Old 09-26-2012, 09:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,784
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 1451
I'm still really curious about what they're doing with virtual console. If there's anyone known for rereleasing games its Nintendo, but their treatment is so inconsistent. Most VC games are just rom dumps, but then you have the much higher calibre N64 and NES remakes on the 3DS, or something like super Mario all stars. I'm not interested in paying $8 for unimproved SNES games, but if they start taking it more seriously, it's worth paying attention to.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is offline  
post #650 of 1142 Old 09-26-2012, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PENDRAG0ON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

The leaked MS documents specifically quoted 6-8x more powerful. Thats their target, even if we dont have the specs yet. The Wii U is nowhere near that kind of leap...it's going to be significantly underpowered, just like the Wii.

The Wii U is 2-3x the current systems, so the Wii U will be like the ps2 vs xbox all over again.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
PENDRAG0ON is offline  
post #651 of 1142 Old 09-26-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Sango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Richmond, BC
Posts: 2,028
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Flavius,

Just curious even thou it's sort of on the side. Could you name some non locked 60fps games? Maybe I don't have them.

Unless the tv's internal video processor is processing well, I honestly never seen it in my games or video sources I have played.

I thought to my understanding that since the sets refreshing at 120hz/240hz sets (my XBR 5 is 120hz), it's suppose to reduce the judder at different fps sources regardless of the motion enhancements, so it could be mitigating this strobe effect?
Sango is offline  
post #652 of 1142 Old 09-26-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Monger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,376
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

No. It will be run a modified version of UE3 (Epic has said as much), but since many big developers will eventually move on to UE4, the Wii ports will eventually dry up around the time that the new consoles launch. And as developers with their own proprietary engines move into next gen tech, they'll also focus less on Wii U ports.
But on a more positive note, it appears that Nintendo is busily securing exclusive contracts with the most talented Japanese studios. IMO Wii U will end up being the go-to console for the best Japan-developed games. Getting two exclusive games from Platinum is huge, and bodes very well for the console.

The two big selling points with UE4 is the tool set and it's scalability and with costs where they are I could see it on the Wii U. Especially if it sells well.
Monger is offline  
post #653 of 1142 Old 09-26-2012, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Monger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,376
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
There's a handful of good looking games. NSMBU is a for sure buy and I'll get Nintendoland with deluxe. I'll probably grab Zombi U and Blops II as well. My daughter has already started to ask about when Black Ops II is coming and I like the idea of being able to play two player with the second screen. I might grab AC III on the Wii U, but I'll have to hear more about it first vs the 360 version. I would like to try Scribblenauts also as I haven't played it, but I'll wait on that.

Pikmin and the Wonderful 101 were the two I was looking forward to the most.
Monger is offline  
post #654 of 1142 Old 09-26-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PENDRAG0ON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sango View Post

Flavius,
Just curious even thou it's sort of on the side. Could you name some non locked 60fps games? Maybe I don't have them.
Unless the tv's internal video processor is processing well, I honestly never seen it in my games or video sources I have played.
I thought to my understanding that since the sets refreshing at 120hz/240hz sets (my XBR 5 is 120hz), it's suppose to reduce the judder at different fps sources regardless of the motion enhancements, so it could be mitigating this strobe effect?

EDF 2017 has a completely unlocked framerate. It often goes from 60fps to 1fps in some of the later levels.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
PENDRAG0ON is offline  
post #655 of 1142 Old 09-26-2012, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member
 
Flavius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sango View Post

Flavius,
Just curious even thou it's sort of on the side. Could you name some non locked 60fps games? Maybe I don't have them.
Unless the tv's internal video processor is processing well, I honestly never seen it in my games or video sources I have played.
I thought to my understanding that since the sets refreshing at 120hz/240hz sets (my XBR 5 is 120hz), it's suppose to reduce the judder at different fps sources regardless of the motion enhancements, so it could be mitigating this strobe effect?

Well, the strobe flashing judder effect at 30FPS is only a plasma phenomenon. On an LCD, you still get the trailing double image judder, but not the strobe-like flashing. (though I have only yet to try a CCFL LCD at 120Hz so far vs new Samsung plasma) What turning on motion interpolation does for this is that is smooths out the judder and double image so that most of the time it disappears. Now this ONLY is visible when you are PANNING A CAMERA left and right in the games. Not during other kinds of motion.

What do you mean by "non-locked" 60FPS games? The only ones on the consoles I can think of right now are Wipeout HD in 2D and also Rage. Those are locked to 60FPS and don't suffer from the judder I'm talking about since FPS matches screen refresh. There are also some fighting games that are locked, and maybe some in the God of War series. However, almost all other current console games barely manage 30FPS.

Anyway, when you turn your head around in real life it is a smooth "soap opera effect" non-judder motion, not the judder double image choppiness. So motion interpolation is very important for 30FPS console games IMHO.
Flavius is offline  
post #656 of 1142 Old 09-26-2012, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
confidenceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

I'm still really curious about what they're doing with virtual console. If there's anyone known for rereleasing games its Nintendo, but their treatment is so inconsistent. Most VC games are just rom dumps, but then you have the much higher calibre N64 and NES remakes on the 3DS, or something like super Mario all stars. I'm not interested in paying $8 for unimproved SNES games, but if they start taking it more seriously, it's worth paying attention to.
I think Nintendo has pretty much mined their VC catalog at this point. Not sure what the service will look like going forward. There's no real incentive for them to dig deeper into their back catalog, nor is there any incentive for them to bother releasing those older games any cheaper than they already are.

I hope that means that they'll focus more on providing new small-scale downloadable content similar to XBLA/PSN/Steam/iOS. ...while still offering the old stuff, of course. wink.gif

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
confidenceman is offline  
post #657 of 1142 Old 09-26-2012, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
Blackdevil77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nassau County, Long Island, New York
Posts: 905
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monger View Post

There's a handful of good looking games. NSMBU is a for sure buy and I'll get Nintendoland with deluxe. I'll probably grab Zombi U and Blops II as well. My daughter has already started to ask about when Black Ops II is coming and I like the idea of being able to play two player with the second screen. I might grab AC III on the Wii U, but I'll have to hear more about it first vs the 360 version. I would like to try Scribblenauts also as I haven't played it, but I'll wait on that.
Pikmin and the Wonderful 101 were the two I was looking forward to the most.

Yes, the New Super Mario Brothers U is very appealing. Though I'd love to see something along the lines of Super Mario 64, it seems to be heading in the right direction. If they release a game like mario 64, tbat one game would be enough to make me buy the console alone.
Blackdevil77 is online now  
post #658 of 1142 Old 09-26-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ThisOneKidMongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 2,644
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I'm uh, pretty confident you can expect a 3D Mario outing showing up eventually. Hm, I get the feeling you didn't think much of the Galaxy games (let alone Sunshine)?
ThisOneKidMongo is offline  
post #659 of 1142 Old 09-26-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Monger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,376
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

I think Nintendo has pretty much mined their VC catalog at this point. Not sure what the service will look like going forward. There's no real incentive for them to dig deeper into their back catalog, nor is there any incentive for them to bother releasing those older games any cheaper than they already are.
I hope that means that they'll focus more on providing new small-scale downloadable content similar to XBLA/PSN/Steam/iOS. ...while still offering the old stuff, of course. wink.gif

I think I bought maybe 2 vc titles on the Wii. I'd like to see them redone where they can be played on the gamepad.

Supposedly they are giving devs a good deal on the eshop. They have some good early titles coming some of which are Wii U/PC exclusive.

Chasing Aurora, Trine 2 DC, Cloudberry Kingdom, Little Inferno, The Cave, Toki Tori 2, etc.
Monger is offline  
post #660 of 1142 Old 09-26-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,784
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 1451
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

I'm still really curious about what they're doing with virtual console. If there's anyone known for rereleasing games its Nintendo, but their treatment is so inconsistent. Most VC games are just rom dumps, but then you have the much higher calibre N64 and NES remakes on the 3DS, or something like super Mario all stars. I'm not interested in paying $8 for unimproved SNES games, but if they start taking it more seriously, it's worth paying attention to.
I think Nintendo has pretty much mined their VC catalog at this point. Not sure what the service will look like going forward. There's no real incentive for them to dig deeper into their back catalog, nor is there any incentive for them to bother releasing those older games any cheaper than they already are.

I hope that means that they'll focus more on providing new small-scale downloadable content similar to XBLA/PSN/Steam/iOS. ...while still offering the old stuff, of course. wink.gif

I thought the Wii VC hit all the right marks too, at least in terms of selection. But what are they doing with it now? If older VC games are locked into "Wii mode", are they going to rerelease everything for true Wii U mode? Are they going to just dribble it out again over the 5 years? Are they going to enhance the games, maybe incentivize people to repurchase or upgrade to the new versions? Cross play with 3DS?

There's still a lot of unanswered questions, still a lot they can do to improve the experience.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is offline  
Closed Thread Nintendo

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off