Wii U - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #721 of 1142 Old 10-02-2012, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
Blackdevil77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nassau County, Long Island, New York
Posts: 866
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

I dunno, I have oddly fond memories of lining up for the WIi outside Target at 4AM in the cold, getting my reasonably low voucher number around 6AM, being shepherded into the store around 7AM and being forced to buy at least three games with the system, and then emerging back into the cold amongst the stares of the bloodthirsty, sleep-deprived, still-lined-up masses and feeling hella uncomfortable and running home fast as I could before I got mugged.
So yeah all in all I guess I'll take the preorder system.

I personally do not have that experience and oddly enough wanted to experience one time. I hope Nintendo World in the city can work some magic for me, but it's seeming unlikely
Blackdevil77 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #722 of 1142 Old 10-02-2012, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member
 
Flavius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Pre-orders were one of the big "revolutions" this generation. Wasn't nearly as common when the current set of consoles launched.
Retailers get an interest free "loan" out of pre-orders. They get our money, and then can reinvest it in something that actually makes them more money. All they get from people lining up overnight are headaches, number-taking, security, etc.

Right on the first point, but not the second. Outside of stupid Best Buy, most retailers like Gamestop do NOT put a hold on your funds when you pre-order.
Flavius is offline  
post #723 of 1142 Old 10-02-2012, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
confidenceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

I dunno, I have oddly fond memories of lining up for the WIi outside Target at 4AM in the cold, getting my reasonably low voucher number around 6AM, being shepherded into the store around 7AM and being forced to buy at least three games with the system, and then emerging back into the cold amongst the stares of the bloodthirsty, sleep-deprived, still-lined-up masses and feeling hella uncomfortable and running home fast as I could before I got mugged.
So yeah all in all I guess I'll take the preorder system.
Man. Never again. Got in line at a Target. Coldest night in decades in the Bay Area. Giant thermos of hot tea. Sleeping bag. No sleep. Fifth in line (of about 100). Only ten of us got Wii's in the morning. Ugliness ensued. But I did get a Wii.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post

Right on the first point, but not the second. Outside of stupid Best Buy, most retailers like Gamestop do NOT put a hold on your funds when you pre-order.
Have they changed their method? Gamestop always used to take a $5 deposit, as did other retailers. So I stopped doing them altogether. Do they work differently now?

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
confidenceman is offline  
post #724 of 1142 Old 10-02-2012, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
Flavius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post

I personally do not have that experience and oddly enough wanted to experience one time. I hope Nintendo World in the city can work some magic for me, but it's seeming unlikely

Hahahahaha. Right. No, you don't want that experience. Freezing your butt off in the middle of November outside a Best Buy for HOURS at the 360 launch while you make your significant other keep your place in line while you go pee into a bottle in your car. Yeah, never doing that again.
I guess NYC will at least have public bathrooms open unless those are all locked down in the wee hours of the morning.

So glad I got my Deluxe order in at Gamestop.
Flavius is offline  
post #725 of 1142 Old 10-02-2012, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
Flavius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Man. Never again. Got in line at a Target. Coldest night in decades in the Bay Area. Giant thermos of hot tea. Sleeping bag. No sleep. Fifth in line (of about 100). Only ten of us got Wii's in the morning. Ugliness ensued. But I did get a Wii.
Have they changed their method? Gamestop always used to take a $5 deposit, as did other retailers. So I stopped doing them altogether. Do they work differently now?

Well I used Gamestop.com so no deposit or hold on funds. They only do pre-order deposits for the physical stores. Why? Because Gamestop.com can much more easily manage excess inventory that one rinky dink store out of thousands, taking too many pre-orders for a game that let's say, gets a bad review and no one shows up or calls the store to cancel the pre-order if they don't put $5 down. Then they're left with dozens of games no one wants that get price cut in like 2 weeks and then the store is losing money. Online you can either cancel your order more easily, or they can ship it to you if you do nothing.. And since they have your card info already from the online purchase, if you choose in store pickup and don't show up, they reserve the right to charge you a $5 restocking fee then. So you see, from a sound business perspective, they have excellent reasons for charging you $5 at the store for pre-orders but not online. For the Wii U, I don't think you needed to put down any money even in store, because they expect the demand to be so extreme, they don't think they'll have trouble at all not selling it immediately if you don't show up. Gamestop is a very well run company, at least from a business perspective.
Flavius is offline  
post #726 of 1142 Old 10-02-2012, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
Blackdevil77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nassau County, Long Island, New York
Posts: 866
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Looks like I'll be camping outside of Nintendo World for probably 20 hours on launch day lol. I called them just now and they said they are sold out of pre-orders of the deluxe unit but still have some base unit pre orders left. The guy also said they will probably have some available as first come first serve and they don't allow everything they are expecting go out to pre-orders so that looks like my shot. WIsh me luck on this one. It'll be a long LONG night in the cold big city
Blackdevil77 is offline  
post #727 of 1142 Old 10-02-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,625
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 1429
I did it for the Wii....never again. Bay Area cold lol...what is that, 55? It was like 20-30 something in NY, which you can deal with for a little while, but sitting still in the freezing cold all night....its a different kind of cold, the kind you dont look back and laugh about. Most people got so desperate we made a list of who was in line so we could all sleep in our cars and get some heat. It was awful. I can't imagine doing it in the city unless its unseasonably warm.

The PS3 guys had it even worse, there was freezing rain most of the night, the only people left in line by the morning literally had tents, one guy even had an RV. Everyone else would have died of exposure.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is offline  
post #728 of 1142 Old 10-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
moothemagiccow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 881
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post

Hahahahaha. Right. No, you don't want that experience. Freezing your butt off in the middle of November outside a Best Buy for HOURS at the 360 launch while you make your significant other keep your place in line while you go pee into a bottle in your car. Yeah, never doing that again.
I guess NYC will at least have public bathrooms open unless those are all locked down in the wee hours of the morning.
So glad I got my Deluxe order in at Gamestop.

Public bathrooms? NYC? Are we talking about the same city?

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

moothemagiccow is offline  
post #729 of 1142 Old 10-02-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DaverJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 6,692
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post

For the Wii U, I don't think you needed to put down any money even in store, because they expect the demand to be so extreme, they don't think they'll have trouble at all not selling it immediately if you don't show up.

For me, the Wii U required a $25 deposit for Gamestop Power-up members, or $50 for non-members.

Don't forget it's being released on a Sunday, so if you want it on release day, store pickup is the safest bet.
DaverJ is offline  
post #730 of 1142 Old 10-02-2012, 12:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,625
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post

Hahahahaha. Right. No, you don't want that experience. Freezing your butt off in the middle of November outside a Best Buy for HOURS at the 360 launch while you make your significant other keep your place in line while you go pee into a bottle in your car. Yeah, never doing that again.
I guess NYC will at least have public bathrooms open unless those are all locked down in the wee hours of the morning.
So glad I got my Deluxe order in at Gamestop.

Public bathrooms? NYC? Are we talking about the same city?

Yeah, seriously. Maybe if you're lucky there's a McDonalds nearby. And depending how the supply is, people might not be so civilized and understanding if you need to break the line to find a corner to piss on.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is offline  
post #731 of 1142 Old 10-02-2012, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jwebb1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 8,339
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

I did it for the Wii....never again. Bay Area cold lol...what is that, 55?
"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco" - Mark Twain

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

jwebb1970 is offline  
post #732 of 1142 Old 10-02-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jwebb1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 8,339
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I have some doubts that Wii U is going to see the long-term scarcity that the Wii did. Holiday season? Probably...but come early spring 2013?

Holding off on a Wii U, although the system does look interesting. Actually planning on a living room TV upgrade soon - and perhaps adding a PS3 as the main BD player.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

jwebb1970 is offline  
post #733 of 1142 Old 10-02-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ThisOneKidMongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 2,634
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Yeah, seriously. Maybe if you're lucky there's a McDonalds nearby. And depending how the supply is, people might not be so civilized and understanding if you need to break the line to find a corner to piss on.
Actually there is a McDonald's right around the corner from Nintendo World. No idea if it's 24 hours though.

I thoroughly enjoy how this thread has turned into discussing places to pee while camping out for a game console.
ThisOneKidMongo is offline  
post #734 of 1142 Old 10-02-2012, 01:55 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,676
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Why even bother waiting in line. You order and have it shipped to you. I did that when the 360 launched. Now granted I got it that Wednesday, the day after launch, but all I had to do was open the door and get the package from the delivery person. I can't remember if I got a launch Wii. if I did I know I did not wait in line for it. I can't think of any material item that is worth it for me to wait in line for several hours.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is offline  
post #735 of 1142 Old 10-02-2012, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
Blackdevil77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nassau County, Long Island, New York
Posts: 866
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I'm may regret it after standing there for 10 hours and the cold wind is whipping in my face with hours to go. It'll make an interesting story lol. As far as staying up all night long, I've been trained for that. I have to plow snow for work for days at a time. As far as being still in the cold for hours, nearly a whole day, I don't know how else to prepare for that other then wear about 20 layers of clothing. Coffee may be out of the question since it makes me have to pee every few minutes. Not to mention the train ride back to long Island with the damn thing.
Blackdevil77 is offline  
post #736 of 1142 Old 10-02-2012, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
Blackdevil77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nassau County, Long Island, New York
Posts: 866
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Why even bother waiting in line. You order and have it shipped to you. I did that when the 360 launched. Now granted I got it that Wednesday, the day after launch, but all I had to do was open the door and get the package from the delivery person. I can't remember if I got a launch Wii. if I did I know I did not wait in line for it. I can't think of any material item that is worth it for me to wait in line for several hours.

I would, but it seems to be too late for that. Everywhere that is taking pre orders is sold out already, and the few that aren't, only have the base unit.
Blackdevil77 is offline  
post #737 of 1142 Old 10-02-2012, 03:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,625
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

Actually there is a McDonald's right around the corner from Nintendo World. No idea if it's 24 hours though.
I thoroughly enjoy how this thread has turned into discussing places to pee while camping out for a game console.

Lol, he should just know what he's getting himself into. Ask yourself if you're willing to piss in an empty bottle of Gatorade while you're shoulder to shoulder with other dudes. If you're willing to be harassed by homeless guys who openly admit they just want your money to get drunk and high. If youre willing to risk a toe or a finger to frostbite if its a cold night. If you're willing to accept the risk of being trampled, mugged, punched in the face and/or stabbed for your Wii U. The Wii U that you're not even guaranteed to get after all that.

If the answer is yes to all of the above, you've merely qualified for the test.

But seriously, if you have a car and can get out to a target or best buy on Long Island that has stock, do that.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is offline  
post #738 of 1142 Old 10-02-2012, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
Blackdevil77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nassau County, Long Island, New York
Posts: 866
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Between now and then, I'll be trying to find a place on Long Island that may have some also.

Wait a minute.... what about PC Richards???? I haven't heard anything about them taking pre-orders and it's on their website
Blackdevil77 is offline  
post #739 of 1142 Old 10-02-2012, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ThisOneKidMongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 2,634
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Another site to keep an eye on is Newegg, who I don't believe has put the console up at all yet.

I think you should keep looking for preorders, but honestly I think camping out for a consumer electronics item is kinda fun to do once in your life, so long as you're aware that it may well be for nothing. The weather and pee situation are question marks, but otherwise I think you'd be plenty safe camped outside Nintendo World. It's a nice/touristy part of town, Nintendo nerds are generally on the friendlier end of the spectrum, and hell, there might even be a news crew or two around (either there, the Union Square Best Buy, or the Times Square TRU, one figures). Wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo made a mini media event of it, or at the very least would take measures to make sure no one gets stabbed or frostbitten in front of their retail store.
ThisOneKidMongo is offline  
post #740 of 1142 Old 10-02-2012, 05:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,625
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

Another site to keep an eye on is Newegg, who I don't believe has put the console up at all yet.
I think you should keep looking for preorders, but honestly I think camping out for a consumer electronics item is kinda fun to do once in your life, so long as you're aware that it may well be for nothing. The weather and pee situation are question marks, but otherwise I think you'd be plenty safe camped outside Nintendo World. It's a nice/touristy part of town, Nintendo nerds are generally on the friendlier end of the spectrum, and hell, there might even be a news crew or two around (either there, the Union Square Best Buy, or the Times Square TRU, one figures). Wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo made a mini media event of it, or at the very least would take measures to make sure no one gets stabbed or frostbitten in front of their retail store.

Yeah, I only kid about the getting stabbed part. tongue.gif

But I have a vague recollection of the news showing clips of the place before the Wii launch, and I could swear they had the line barricaded off. It might prevent cutters but it also prevents you getting off the line to attend to your....biological needs.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is offline  
post #741 of 1142 Old 10-02-2012, 05:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,625
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post

Between now and then, I'll be trying to find a place on Long Island that may have some also.
Wait a minute.... what about PC Richards???? I haven't heard anything about them taking pre-orders and it's on their website

I've never heard of anyone lining up outside PC Richards for anything...but you never know. Maybe there's a 6th ave electronics that will carry it. Target is always my go-to for this kind of thing, having your car nearby is essential.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is offline  
post #742 of 1142 Old 10-02-2012, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
Blackdevil77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nassau County, Long Island, New York
Posts: 866
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

I've never heard of anyone lining up outside PC Richards for anything...but you never know. Maybe there's a 6th ave electronics that will carry it. Target is always my go-to for this kind of thing, having your car nearby is essential.

Target is sold out of pre-orders also. I wonder if PC Richards is planning on having them on launch day. It says coming November 18th on their site, but nothing about pre-orders.
Blackdevil77 is offline  
post #743 of 1142 Old 10-02-2012, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
Blackdevil77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nassau County, Long Island, New York
Posts: 866
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

Another site to keep an eye on is Newegg, who I don't believe has put the console up at all yet.
I think you should keep looking for preorders, but honestly I think camping out for a consumer electronics item is kinda fun to do once in your life, so long as you're aware that it may well be for nothing. The weather and pee situation are question marks, but otherwise I think you'd be plenty safe camped outside Nintendo World. It's a nice/touristy part of town, Nintendo nerds are generally on the friendlier end of the spectrum, and hell, there might even be a news crew or two around (either there, the Union Square Best Buy, or the Times Square TRU, one figures). Wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo made a mini media event of it, or at the very least would take measures to make sure no one gets stabbed or frostbitten in front of their retail store.

I was thinking this to. Nintendo World is in Rockefeller Plaza, so odds of getting on NBCs morning show seem pretty good. Although I'm sure my appearance won't be camera friendly freezing and waiting in line all night. Aside from the pee problem, I got the other challenges tackled. I believe in being prepared wink.gif
Blackdevil77 is offline  
post #744 of 1142 Old 10-02-2012, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Monger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 62
ZombiU dev diary part 2
Monger is offline  
post #745 of 1142 Old 10-02-2012, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PENDRAG0ON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Frys.com seems to have the 8gb model still up for preorder...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
PENDRAG0ON is offline  
post #746 of 1142 Old 10-03-2012, 03:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
Blackdevil77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nassau County, Long Island, New York
Posts: 866
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Frys.com seems to have the 8gb model still up for preorder...

A couple of places do. Nintendo World does also.
Blackdevil77 is offline  
post #747 of 1142 Old 10-04-2012, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WizarDru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,031
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

I have some doubts that Wii U is going to see the long-term scarcity that the Wii did. Holiday season? Probably...but come early spring 2013?
Holding off on a Wii U, although the system does look interesting. Actually planning on a living room TV upgrade soon - and perhaps adding a PS3 as the main BD player.

We'll have to wait and see. No one expected the original Wii to be so constrained, either. The Wii U hasn't caught media fire like its predecessor, though, so I suspect you're right. On the other hand, it could also turn into THE gift, especially with a new Mario and if stuff like NIntendoLand turns out to be unexpectedly popular. Even so, that just means you might have to work at it a little harder.

The PS3 makes a great BD player. If it had been an equally good media streamer and game console, I'd have a second one upstairs, instead of Samsung player.
WizarDru is offline  
post #748 of 1142 Old 10-04-2012, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
WizarDru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,031
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post

I personally do not have that experience and oddly enough wanted to experience one time. I hope Nintendo World in the city can work some magic for me, but it's seeming unlikely

It's an experience worth missing. I didn't have to rough it too bad, but did get up around 5AM on a Sunday to traipse out to the local Target to stand on line in the 32 degree temperature with a coffee that didn't sustain me as long as expected. I expected a dozen people and found 67 already there. I got unit 68 OUT OF 70. Luckily, they'd already learned their lessons from the PS3 launch and had vouchers, a line and organized access to the store. It WAS fun to play Mario Kart with other dudes in the line, but not so great to have to keep telling folks there was no point in getting on line as they were sold out and that we had no idea if they'd have better luck at TrU, Best Buy, etc.

Luckily, my wife became a master at dropping by stores right when shipments came in, so I scored units for friends and my boss. Many brownie points were earned. smile.gif
WizarDru is offline  
post #749 of 1142 Old 10-04-2012, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
Flavius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizarDru View Post

but not so great to have to keep telling folks there was no point in getting on line as they were sold out )

Are you kidding? Telling folks who thought they could just waltz on line at 7AM that they were out of luck instead of toughing out in the cold like you had since 1AM or something was one of the best, most gratifying parts of the experience. Or maybe I am just EVIL. biggrin.gif
Flavius is offline  
post #750 of 1142 Old 10-04-2012, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
Blackdevil77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nassau County, Long Island, New York
Posts: 866
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I'll get on line at 7pm the day before if I have to lol. Not because I want it that ridiculously bad, just to do it. I know, wtf is wrong with me, right? lol
Blackdevil77 is offline  
Closed Thread Nintendo

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off