Wii U - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 1142 Old 10-25-2012, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Great looking game(Zombie U) But doesnt look like anything that the 360 or PS3 couldn't do just as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1142 Old 10-25-2012, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 61
More Zombi U stuff:

18 Minutes of video - Gamesradar Preview

1up Preview
post #813 of 1142 Old 10-25-2012, 08:49 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaidonjin View Post

Great looking game(Zombie U) But doesnt look like anything that the 360 or PS3 couldn't do just as well.

Thats actually wrong because they cant do it because its not on the 360 or PS3, just sayin.
post #814 of 1142 Old 10-26-2012, 05:56 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone still looking to preorder should check out their local Target. I was able to get one yesterday. They put out the preorder cards yesterday morning my local store. Saw a post on cheapassgamer about them starting this week.

Gamertag: Fargus
Playstation ID: Fargus79
post #815 of 1142 Old 10-28-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

And even more Zombi U gameplay:

Gametrailers: Walktrough Part 1 and Part 2. About fifteen minutes total but is really well done.

And youtube links for the Gamesradar single player and multiplayer videos.

post #816 of 1142 Old 10-28-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I had the chance to play the Wii U on Friday at Best Buy. The kiosk only has Rayman Legends available to play. The other games were just videos. I had to wait a few minutes while a kid went through some videos trying to convince his mom to by him one. That took me back some years.

First impressions of the controller were good. It's light and comfortable despite it's size. It fit my hands really well. The buttons are well placed and easy to get to. The screen looked good. The console itself is very long and looked good, albeit pretty plain.

Rayman legends looked absolutely gorgeous. I played the Castle Rock level with Rayman and one I don't remember the name of where I controlled Murphy with the gamepad. Going to the gamepad was somewhat disorienting and will take some getting used to. The game itself was fairly boring by myself, but I think it would be fun co-op.
post #817 of 1142 Old 10-29-2012, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

The media got to play the final Nintendoland games:

IGN
Quote:
I've detailed nine of Nintendo Land's attractions, and there are still three more. That means I'm not even touching on the 20 levels in Metroid Blast's core 1-5 player Assault Mode, or its more competitive-aimed Surface-to-Air or Ground battles that each have their own five stages designed for multiple players. That means there's only so much space to describe the Pachinko-esque Coin Game, where you spend coins earned in attractions to win prizes that will populate the plaza of Nintendo Land. And some of those prizes can only be won when you've unlocked them by playing their respective attractions.

I want to tell you about Miiverse, and how it apparently will tie to Nintendo Land with some form of online leaderboards, though Nintendo has yet to truly dive into those details. (That's literally all I know.) There is the game's wide range of in-game achievements (called 'accomplishments') as well, which appear in a variety of ways, such as criteria-specific stamps, high score trophies in the single player games, or 'Master Rank' stars, which signify that you've mastered a particular attraction's challenge.

Here's one important detail - only two modes within Nintendo Land require Wii MotionPlus - controlling a ground-based character in Metroid Blast, and controlling a sword-wielding character in Zelda: Battle Quest. Anything else involving a Wii remote involves basic button commands (like Mario Chase, for example).

Gamespot
Quote:
Nintendo Land has morphed from a seemingly shallow launch game to the presumed successor to Wii Sports' almighty throne in my eyes because it understands that pandering to the casual crowd alone isn't enough to make people interested in this newfangled system. Instead, it merges two competing ideologies together so seamlessly that neither side quite realizes what's happening. Nintendo may strike gold once more, and it's because it understands that accessibility and novelty don't have to be perfect strangers.

post #818 of 1142 Old 10-30-2012, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

The Redemption of New Super Mario Bros. U
Quote:
Five months ago, I felt optimistic about one of Nintendo’s two New Super Mario Bros. titles. The other seemed far less impressive, lacking truly original ideas or execution. But that’s always been the challenge of this particular retro-themed series – can it simultaneously balance old school platforming while adding something we haven’t seen before?

If you asked me around E3 2012, I would have said New Super Mario Bros. 2 for the Nintendo 3DS would accomplish that. New Super Mario Bros. U seemed to lack those qualities. True, it was the first HD Mario title, but its level design seemed uninspired, and allowing a fifth player to place blocks in the world through the GamePad was hardly something that seemed noteworthy.

Times have changed. Drastically.

Keep in mind New Super Mario Bros. 2 is not a bad game. But it’s fair to say it’s underwhelming and unremarkable. It squandered its ‘million coin’ gimmick, to the point where gamers had to effectively "grind for coins" to reach the lofty goal. That's a terrible thing to have to do in a platformer. The game simply wasn’t bold or brave enough with its unique angle. The entirety of the experience felt safe. And that’s not something this series can afford.

When NSMB2 proved disappointing, I still didn’t believe its Wii U counterpart would save it. Yet now, after spending several hours with the game, my entire impression of it has changed. This is precisely what this franchise needs. It’s simultaneously respectful of its heritage while adding numerous new ideas in what amounts to a fantastic mix. In fact, alongside ZombiU, New Super Mario Bros. U is now my most anticipated Wii U launch game.

Like I said, times have changed. Here’s why:

EMBRACING THE LEGACY

The Mario universe is so packed with ideas that Nintendo’s options are practically limitless. Because of that, the publisher is often judged equally on what it adds to that lore as well as the concepts it resurrects.

That’s why something new like the return of Big Island, the world of giants that originated in Super Mario Bros. 3, is just as important as the much-promoted Boost Mode. Actually, it’s probably more important, and ranks right up there (for me, at least) with the return of the traditional Raccoon Suit in NSMB2 or the Koopalings revival in NSMB Wii.

It’s clear that the team working on Mario’s inaugural Wii U adventure has a fondness for Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World. A great fondness. And for someone like me, whose childhood was defined by those experiences, that’s great news. The Torpedo Teds. The vast, continuous overworld that stretches and offers branching paths. The return of the Koopalings. Monty Moles. Perhaps more than any ‘New Mario’ game before it, this one brings back elements of some of Mario’s greatest adventures –some of the best in gaming history – and runs with them. And we’ll all benefit from that.

BATTLING BOSSES

I mentioned Koopalings. They’re back, and their boss battles retain the complexity Nintendo has brought to some of their more recent encounters. Morton Jr., for example, wields a giant hammer that can shape the platforms around you. But what’s more interesting is that the Koopalings aren’t your only boss threat.

I had just swept through and defeated one of Bowser’s so-called sons, and was moving to the next world. Suddenly, the King Koopa’s personal airship dived in from above, initiating a battle. It turns out that Bowser Jr. is prone to ambushing you at random. Although I had just bested a castle and its master, here I was engaged in another boss fight.

And Bowser Jr. was no slouch. This fight took place underwater, with Jr. in a Clown Submarine, launching torpedoes at me. Only by guiding these heat-seekers into my foe could I triumph, which was no simple task. Once again, NSMBU defies tradition while embracing it - and the game is far better because of it.

KILLING NABBIT

Nabbit is, quite simply, a thief. And you have to catch him if you want to recover the powerful prize he has stolen from the Toads – a P-Acorn that will give you the power of infinite flight. To do so you enter a stage you’ve already completed, this time risking life and limb to catch the little bugger.

Doing this is a bit harder than it looks, though for those of us who aren’t all that cautious when we play Mario games, this ‘mini-game’ of sorts feels right at home. Yet another twist, yet another success - chasing Nabbit is a thrill, and I found myself eagerly anticipating his sudden arrival, throwing caution to the wind in my pursuit of the purple-clad bunny creature.

MORE CHALLENGING THAN MEETS THE EYE

Mario’s so-called Story Mode is just the beginning of this adventure. And though the core game’s stages are nothing to scoff at, featuring level design that is significantly improved upon NSMB2, far better things await those of us who appreciate a good test of skill.

New Super Mario Bros. U features a Challenge Mode, which tasks you with insane, incredible objectives that will push Mario veterans to their limits. Each ‘level’ is very simple in its design and execution - say a single, narrow platform surrounded by spikes - with an insane request - like dodging fireballs thrown by two devious Fire Bros. You’re then graded, and assigned a bronze, silver or gold trophy based on your performance. In the aforementioned case of fire-dodging, you must survive for over 40 seconds to claim the best prize. It’s more challenging than you might expect, but it’s also considered one of the easiest tasks.

As you complete more of these objectives, more of them unlock in menus separated by broad type, such as a series focusing on Boost Mode, coin collecting, gathering 1-Ups or one simply called ‘Special’ - home to the Fire Bros. stage - and more twisted concepts.

The video above is yet another example from the ‘Special’ category. You certainly know Monty Mole, but this time you must get him to a goal. Simple enough, right? Except getting Monty to the finish involves placing him on a raft, where he will constantly charge at you. As you might expect, he can kill you - and you can likewise kill him, which you don’t want to do. Complicating matters is if you evade him poorly, he’ll blindly scamper right off that raft and into oblivion. Plus there are other enemies that board the raft, and obstacles that get in your way. Oh, and the raft has a capacity of two - if anything else gets on your aquatic vehicle, it stops moving. Good luck trying to stomp a Goomba when Monty is right behind you, by the way. Killing it and not him... not easy.

This is where New Mario U moves into a very interesting place. Its challenges are not entirely unlike some of the Coin Rush concepts in NSMB2, but they’re better, more inventive, and they get really, really hard. Try making it through a ‘Big Island’ level without killing a single creature. Try making it through a stage without touching the ground. What about using a single turtle shell to score a certain amount of extra lives? And that’s just the tip of the surface, as the biggest tasks remained locked to us.

That Nintendo thought to place these ideas in this game means its developers have realized its ‘New Mario’ series needed more than accessibility. It isn’t enough to have a few unlockables or alternate paths - the game needs something to satisfy those of us who will breeze through that Story Mode - which is definitely more difficult than previous New Mario games - in a weekend.

But they didn’t stop there...

A CONVERSATION ABOUT COINS

Coin Battle is yet another painfully simple concept: race to the end of a level and attempt to collect more coins than your friends. These levels are simply pulled from the main game - seemingly as you complete them or, perhaps, when you collect the three Star Coins tucked away in each.

Regardless, the levels progressively open offering you more and more of a playground to compete in. And that would be enough. But that’s not the end of this mode. For the first time ever, Nintendo will allow you to customize the level with coin placement. That’s right - you have hundreds of coins at your disposal, and can craft even crazier tasks for you and your friends, daring others to jump blindly off ledges or risk everything for just a little extra gold.

Sure, it’s not a full level editor, but even this amount of freedom in stages that are already exquisitely designed is the next best thing. And Nintendo retains the original concept on the menu as well, so if you wreck things with the editor, you can sheepishly go back to its initial iteration and pretend like you’re not terrible at game design.

And let’s face it - who here hasn’t sketched out some sort of Mario level on paper, complete with coins? Exactly. This mode is for the kid in all of us.
post #819 of 1142 Old 11-01-2012, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

post #820 of 1142 Old 11-02-2012, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Blech.

I don't think that does anything to sell consoles, I'd even venture to bet that people not following the WiiU, and that includes a lot of the casuals who already own a Wii, will be confused enough to assume WiiU is a tablet that hooks up to your TV somehow.

A better ad:

"Wii... would like to explain that this isn't just a tablet that hooks up to your Wii. Sorry for the confusion- and the lousy dubstep"
post #821 of 1142 Old 11-03-2012, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I played a demo of Rayman Legend at Gamestop. It looked beautiful but the game itself was kind of crappy. I wasn't a fan of Origins either.
There was a point at which I was supposed to switch to touchscreen play that felt a bit hamfisted.

The controller was all right - not as hefty as an ipad, the touch screen was responsive, etc.
I don't think the game was really improved at all by the touch screen. Hopefully some better demos will come along.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #822 of 1142 Old 11-07-2012, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Japanese Nintendo Direct - It shows quite a bit of the OS
NOE Subtitled Japanese Nintendo Direct - Accounts, Chat, and Unboxing

NOA Summary - WaraWara Plaza and Wii U Chat

And a summary from IGN so I don't have to:
Quote:
When you first power-up the Wii U, you'll be taken to Warawara plaza where you'll make a Miiverse account. Each Wii U will be able to support up to twelve different accounts, with each one containing unique save game data, browser bookmarks and other user-specific information. The interface is strongly reminiscent of the 3DS's.

Each account will have a Nintendo Network ID which can also be used on different devices other than official Nintendo hardware. Nintendo said over the coming years it will make some services like Nintendo eShop or Miiverse available on other devices PCs to smartphones.

Iwata also demonstrated how Miiverse will provide a helpful, informative community while playing specific games. Say you only get a silver medal on a level in New Super Mario Bros. Wii U. You can now turn to the Miiverse community for advice on how to claim gold next time. If you die several times, you'll be asked to talk about your frustration on Miiverse. You can choose to follow reliable or particularly help contributors, and there's even a function to hide spoilerific contributions. Iwata also said that Miiverse functionality can be integrated without additional work for developers.

In order to use many of the online services, you'll need to perform a system update which will available on launch day.
post #823 of 1142 Old 11-07-2012, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Boy, Iwata and Reggie did a fine job of illustrating how awkward I usually find video chat. I'll file that under "stuff I'll ignore that is aimed at that nebulous consumer segment that is interested in the Wii U but doesn't have smartphones."

Other than that, am I the only one kinda disappointed that the Wii U (non-Warawara) UI is just a bigger version of the 3DS one? I mean, in the end, I don't really care, as long as it's functional, but they kept it under wraps so long that it's hard not to be a bit let down.

I am intrigued by the possibilities of Warawara though. I was down on it initially, thinking it'd just be a bunch of hostile nonsensical swearing, but A) it's moderated and B) given the very existence of GameFaqs I'm sure there will be lots of people happy, even proud to be super-helpful about the games they're playing. I've sort of gotten to the point where whenever I receive a new weapon in a game I'm almost immediately Googling it to see if it's worth using, so having all that info potentially at my fingertips just by pressing the home button mid-game is pretty compelling.

Also, I'm surprised they're keeping the WaraWara name. Doesn't really roll off the English tongue.
post #824 of 1142 Old 11-07-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

Other than that, am I the only one kinda disappointed that the Wii U (non-Warawara) UI is just a bigger version of the 3DS one? I mean, in the end, I don't really care, as long as it's functional, but they kept it under wraps so long that it's hard not to be a bit let down.
I am intrigued by the possibilities of Warawara though. I was down on it initially, thinking it'd just be a bunch of hostile nonsensical swearing, but A) it's moderated and B) given the very existence of GameFaqs I'm sure there will be lots of people happy, even proud to be super-helpful about the games they're playing. I've sort of gotten to the point where whenever I receive a new weapon in a game I'm almost immediately Googling it to see if it's worth using, so having all that info potentially at my fingertips just by pressing the home button mid-game is pretty compelling.
Also, I'm surprised they're keeping the WaraWara name. Doesn't really roll off the English tongue.

No, but I expected it. Hopefully, it feels less disjointed than the wii and 3ds versions. The 3ds and Wii tiles compartmentalize everything too much.

I do like how different users login. It will be nice to have the save files and preferences separated. I won't have to worry about how many save slots a game gives us. It could also be useful considering the browser seems capable which is different for a console.
post #825 of 1142 Old 11-08-2012, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/07/first-details-on-wii-to-wii-u-save-transfers

IGN gives the details on how Wii to WiiU DLC/save data transfers will happen.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #826 of 1142 Old 11-08-2012, 06:47 PM
HPQ
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I am strongly thinking of purchasing the Nintendo Wii U when it is released November 18, 2012

I have been trying to find out but so far I have not found if you need to buy a seperate hand unit (GamePad) if two people are playing at the same time..

Anybody know? I believe the unit comes with the U console and 1 gamepad..

At present I have no gaming system - wii, xbox, etc. So this will be my first gaming system..

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501. Pics here.
post #827 of 1142 Old 11-08-2012, 08:36 PM

Liked: 93
It comes with one Gamepad and no launch games use more than one at a time. You may need a second one next year, but that is a maybe. You will need a Wii Remote and Nunchuck for about $50-60, and likely two for a lot of games.

You also are not going to get a Wii U on November if you haven't already preordered one. Like me, you will be waiting until January or later, depending on how popular it is.
post #828 of 1142 Old 11-08-2012, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPQ View Post

I am strongly thinking of purchasing the Nintendo Wii U when it is released November 18, 2012
I have been trying to find out but so far I have not found if you need to buy a seperate hand unit (GamePad) if two people are playing at the same time..
Anybody know? I believe the unit comes with the U console and 1 gamepad..
At present I have no gaming system - wii, xbox, etc. So this will be my first gaming system..

No games support two gamepads yet. You need a wii remote if another player is involved

post #829 of 1142 Old 11-09-2012, 04:21 AM
HPQ
Advanced Member

Thanks guys for your input. Good to know that all I need to get is a wii remote for that second player. Sounds good. Thanks.

Also, any idea if Mario Kart will be available on the Wii U? If not, any other cool racing game?

I didn't pre-order, so will get it once it is available for the general public.

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501. Pics here.
post #830 of 1142 Old 11-09-2012, 05:18 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Thanks guys for your input. Good to know that all I need to get is a wii remote for that second player. Sounds good. Thanks.
Also, any idea if Mario Kart will be available on the Wii U? If not, any other cool racing game?
I didn't pre-order, so will get it once it is available for the general public.
It's pretty much a given there will be a Mario Kart game (but when?). I guess the closest analogue would be Sonic All-Stars, which is a launch title.

I have never failed. I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
post #831 of 1142 Old 11-09-2012, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:

Mario Kart is not announced yet, but a Wii U version is almost a sure-thing at some point.

The only racing game with solid info is this one:
-

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #832 of 1142 Old 11-09-2012, 07:02 AM
HPQ
Advanced Member

Cool. Thanks. That game Sonic and All Star racing looks great. I wonder if we need to purchase a steering wheel? Do you guys use that for Mario Kart on Wii ? Is it beneficial to have? The wheel that is?

post #833 of 1142 Old 11-09-2012, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

post #834 of 1142 Old 11-09-2012, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Cool. Thanks. That game Sonic and All Star racing looks great. I wonder if we need to purchase a steering wheel? Do you guys use that for Mario Kart on Wii ? Is it beneficial to have? The wheel that is?

I just hold the controller sideways. It's a pain removing the remote wrapper to stick it into any of those plastic prostheses.

post #835 of 1142 Old 11-10-2012, 02:41 PM
HPQ
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow View Post

I just hold the controller sideways. It's a pain removing the remote wrapper to stick it into any of those plastic prostheses.

Thanks for the information. smile.gif

post #836 of 1142 Old 11-11-2012, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
interesting article... Love ARS for this kind of stuff. Surprised at the size and 'round-ness' of the console, very small, albeit longer it's still miniscule by any standard

but the 'ol power brick got bigger. Not a shocker
post #837 of 1142 Old 11-12-2012, 04:46 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Mario Kart is not announced yet, but a Wii U version is almost a sure-thing at some point.
The only racing game with solid info is this one:
-

I love this game. thank you for your information. Hope Mario Kart will be announced recently.
post #838 of 1142 Old 11-12-2012, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Man, I can't believe we're less than a week away now. Not that I've been doing a great job already but my hype is set to get out of control. Case in point: I found uploads of various menu music from the Wii U. I mean, is it me, or is this a ridiculously good tune for a simple menu?

post #839 of 1142 Old 11-12-2012, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 360
I too am excited... ONE Wii-K AWAY! biggrin.gif

What's everyone's launch titles?

Mine are unexpected - of course the Nintendoland pack-in, and I thought I would be getting Zombi U and/or Mario. But it looks like I might be getting Epic Mickey 2 and possibly Assassin's Creed 3. I missed AC3 on Xbox, and now I really want to play it. I hope it's at least as good on Wii U as I hear it is on the 360. As for Mickey... I love a good platform game and had pre-ordered this back in April for the 360. But with the shiny new Wii-U coming out at the same time, I switched the pre-order over to the new console. I'm not expecting it to take advantage of any Wii-U capabilities, and my fingers are crossed it's not a botched port. AND to be a good game, which I guess isn't a given.

I'm also thinking on that Sonic kart game because it's cheap, but I'm waiting for reviews to make sure. A good, fast, dumb arcade racing game seems right on a Nintendo console. I don't care if it doesn't do multi-player or co-op correctly, I just want something colorful, smooth, and hopefully unlockables and/or progression.

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #840 of 1142 Old 11-12-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I think I'm good with just Nintendoland and New Super Mario for a while. Though I saw that Toys R Us is doing a Buy 1, Get 40% Off a 2nd deal on all Wii U games for Black Friday, if you feel like dealing with that. That might be enough for me to pick up Zombi U, Tekken Tag and maybe Scribblenauts.
Closed Thread Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page