Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #61 of 1142 Old 05-09-2012, 06:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 1386
I kinda liked it in mp3 and other single player stuff, but playing competitive online games like cod was terrible. Its the part where if you aimed outside of the deadzone that the screen would start drifting that I just never liked. Make the deadzone too big and you're turning was sluggish, too small and your precision dropped. It never followed through on the promise of being as precise as a mouse.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1142 Old 05-09-2012, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

Yup. The Wiimote forever ruined dual analog aiming controls for me. Once you learn to keep your arm steady and centered there's simply no going back. Aiming via dual analog when I play PS3 games feels being on tranquilizers while wearing oversized oven mitts filled with bricks.

[golfclap]
post #63 of 1142 Old 05-09-2012, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

I kinda liked it in mp3 and other single player stuff, but playing competitive online games like cod was terrible. Its the part where if you aimed outside of the deadzone that the screen would start drifting that I just never liked. Make the deadzone too big and you're turning was sluggish, too small and your precision dropped. It never followed through on the promise of being as precise as a mouse.

Admittedly I haven't done any competitive online in Wii FPS games but I had no problem destroying my local, classic-controller-using competition in Goldeneye Wii using Wiimote controls. That game was very tweakable, however.

That said, I don't think of the Wiimote as offering mouse-precision, either. More like a halfway point between dual analogs and a mouse.
post #64 of 1142 Old 05-09-2012, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

Yup. The Wiimote forever ruined dual analog aiming controls for me. Once you learn to keep your arm steady and centered there's simply no going back. Aiming via dual analog when I play PS3 games feels being on tranquilizers while wearing oversized oven mitts filled with bricks.

Before the MP Trilogy was released - but after MP 3 came out for Wii - I went back & played the GCN Metroid Prime on the Wii.

Controlling Samus in a 1st person view went from super fluid (MP3-Wiimote pointing) to basically "Samus as tank" with the dual analog of the GCN controller. Once the Trilogy disc came out, MP1 & 2 just felt more "right".

But to each thier own. I do think Wiimote pointing will continue to play a role in Wii U games.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #65 of 1142 Old 05-09-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

Before the MP Trilogy was released - but after MP 3 came out for Wii - I went back & played the GCN Metroid Prime on the Wii.

Controlling Samus in a 1st person view went from super fluid (MP3-Wiimote pointing) to basically "Samus as tank" with the dual analog of the GCN controller. Once the Trilogy disc came out, MP1 & 2 just felt more "right".

But to each thier own. I do think Wiimote pointing will continue to play a role in Wii U games.

It's going to be a really weird situation depending on what's coming in the box...cause that's what games are primarily going to be built for. Dual analog sticks is the baseline. We know it supports wiimotes, but we don't know if it supports nunchuks, and we don't know if any of that is being packed in. There might even be screen less classic controller that aren't tethered.

post #66 of 1142 Old 05-09-2012, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

MS is apparently beating Nintendo to the vitality senor, not that we were expecting it to be part of WiiU, but interesting. Kinect might actually eat the Wii's lunch in the exercise genre. I think MS is gonna have a sucky E3, but still... drama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theverge.com View Post

The Joule heart-rate monitor will let Kinect owners track their heart rate wirelessly and ensure any exercise is within a target goal for weight loss, strength, or cross-fitness workouts. Although EA currently ships its own heart rate monitor with EA Sports Active 2 for the Xbox 360, Microsoft's Joule monitor will be compatible with most Kinect games — but you won't need it to make use of the new exercise tracking feature of Kinect Fit Play.

We don't have a solid release date for the Kinect Play Fit system, but sources familiar with Microsoft's plans have indicated to us that a future dashboard update will introduce the system. We expect the company to detail some of its Kinect plans at E3 next month, alongside more Xbox Live content deals and additional software enhancements for the Xbox 360.

post #67 of 1142 Old 05-09-2012, 08:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Kinect play fit? Really? Whats next, kinect music sports resort?

post #68 of 1142 Old 05-09-2012, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

It's going to be a really weird situation depending on what's coming in the box...cause that's what games are primarily going to be built for. Dual analog sticks is the baseline. We know it supports wiimotes, but we don't know if it supports nunchuks, and we don't know if any of that is being packed in. There might even be screen less classic controller that aren't tethered.

From the looks of things, future WIi U games will incorporate original Wii controllers along w/ the Wii U tablet - as well as the system being BW-compatible w/ Wii games & accessories. No reason why the nunchuk would not be utilized that I can see, although perhaps less so w/ Wii U titles.

But we all should know more come E3.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #69 of 1142 Old 05-10-2012, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
Coming to Steam and Wii U: Cloudberry Kingdom. Didn't someone mention broken controllers earlier...

post #70 of 1142 Old 05-10-2012, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
I want that game. I love a challenge.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #71 of 1142 Old 05-11-2012, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

"I wanted a close shave, not a self sacrifice"

-VDZ, via Bill Cosby

I had enough trouble with DKCR and NSMBW
post #72 of 1142 Old 05-15-2012, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Scary thought, what if the Wii U had Steam intergration for their online storefront!? Online has always been a weakness on their part and this would help to fix it... It might also mean virtual console support on the PC if it happened.

I also finished Metroid Prime, I remember it being harder back in the day, Meta Ridley was a pushover.

Mario Sunshine is up next.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #73 of 1142 Old 05-16-2012, 03:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Scary thought, what if the Wii U had Steam intergration for their online storefront!? Online has always been a weakness on their part and this would help to fix it... It might also mean virtual console support on the PC if it happened.

I also finished Metroid Prime, I remember it being harder back in the day, Meta Ridley was a pushover.

Scary? It'd be the best thing to ever happen to them.

post #74 of 1142 Old 05-16-2012, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Google "Steam and Wii U".

Back in late 2011, it was being reported that Valve & Nintendo were talking about such things. Rumors, of course...but E3 is just 3 weeks or so away...

post #75 of 1142 Old 05-16-2012, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

Google "Steam and Wii U".

Back in late 2011, it was being reported that Valve & Nintendo were talking about such things. Rumors, of course...but E3 is just 3 weeks or so away...

Never saw that news, the thought just randomly popped into my head last night. It would be an interesting shake up to the industry to say the least.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #76 of 1142 Old 05-16-2012, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Don't see too much difference in my gaming experience if Nintendo handles their online storefront directly or Valve handles those duties.

The content doesn't change.
post #77 of 1142 Old 05-16-2012, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

Don't see too much difference in my gaming experience if Nintendo handles their online storefront directly or Valve handles those duties.

Just imagine if the Virtual Console came to Steam... That could be a gamechanger right there.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #78 of 1142 Old 05-16-2012, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'd love it too, but it'll never happen. Or if it does somehow you can bet Ninty will gimp it to be one way only... Nintendo doesn't play well with others. Didn't Valve mention a "Steambox" of their own at one point? If it was 100% steam capable and PC backwards compatible for VC you'd have to pick me up off the floor...

Quote:

I just finished SMS for the first time in March... controls do NOT hold up. It'd be amazing with Galaxy's controls, though...
post #79 of 1142 Old 05-16-2012, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I need to give Super Mario Sunshine a serious try since I never have. Just recently played through Super Mario 64 and had a blast with no control annoyances and with little camera issues, so I imagine I'd be able to get into it pretty easily. Kind of sad the New Play Control line fizzled out so quickly since this one seemed like a prime choice for Wiimote controls (Controlling the water hose with the Wiimote seems like it would be ideal for the game).

Quote:

Just imagine if the Virtual Console came to Steam... That could be a gamechanger right there.

How so? Hard to imagine PC gamers embracing the Virtual Console if you think Valve handling Nintendo's online storefront means they'd make the Virtual Console available to PC gamers as well (Which I promise you wouldn't happen).

The people that want to play this stuff on their PC already have been doing so for years and have emulation programs that surpass Nintendo's own efforts, full romsets, save states, and so on for free. Other than with the possible exception of Nintendo's N64 emulator, every console is easily emulated with superior PC software with romsets that are extremely easy to locate. And even N64 emulation has been more than playable for years now although it's still far from ideal levels where compatibility, ease of use, and so on are concerned.

The ability to buy for $5 Super Mario Brothers via Steam on the PC isn't quite what I'd call a game changer. In fact I think it would get about as much use as that feature on the Game Room app has. Why pay a couple of bucks more per 2600 game (To something like $5 per game if I'm not mistaken) and such to be able to play on both console and PC when I can download a far superior homebrew emulator that is virtually perfect along with an entire romset from AtariAge in just a minute or so (And with the permission of Activision and Atari I might add... the two big publishers from back then that are still around today).

Hard to believe being able to download $5 NES games is going to cause even a ripple in the pond for revenue for Nintendo. And it doesn't help the Wii U in the slightest if it does. It might even damage sales on Nintendo's platforms if they start to plant this seed in people's minds that Nintendo published software is going to be available on non Nintendo platforms.
post #80 of 1142 Old 05-16-2012, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen View Post

I just finished SMS for the first time in March... controls do NOT hold up. It'd be amazing with Galaxy's controls, though...

I'm the opposite. I can't play Galaxy because of the clunky controls, so far Sunshine has been a breath of fresh air. It has been about 4 years since my last playthrough and I have missed the smooth controls. (and the brutal difficulty of the no fludd areas)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #81 of 1142 Old 05-16-2012, 09:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

The difference would be you'd actually be able to find stuff in the store, and your purchases wouldn't be tied to just one console. Maybe youd get some wicked sales every now and then. then there's all the social and metagame stuff like achievements, fast updates, etc

The steam experience is fantastic. The Nintendo experience is horrible.

It's a nice dream, but the chances of this actually happening are .0000000000001%.

post #82 of 1142 Old 05-16-2012, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I really doubt if Valve is tasked with handling Nintendo's storefront that they'd be setting prices, deciding what software to make available, have the power to impliment an achievements system on the platform, etc. They'd be handling the technical side of things and managing the program for Nintendo. But you can be assured that Nintendo is going to be the one dictating things.

And I can find content on Nintendo's storefront just fine. Cutting down by 5 seconds the time it takes to locate The Legend of Zelda isn't exactly what I'd call a game changer.

What I primarily want to see from a usability standpoint is an account based system (Which I believe they confirmed they're going to do). Should be able to bring my account to any Wii U and access my content instead of this idiotic way they've done things so far where DLC is tied to the console itself.

The rest of my complaints about Nintendo's online distribution system is the software selection. And I don't see Valve handling day to day duties doing much to suddenly change things since they'd only be putting up what software Nintendo tells them to put up. Not going to suddenly see things like 3rd party Virtual Console releases blossum, new platforms being added, Nintendo's own arcade library appearing, having more than the occasional interesting original piece of software appearing, more meat appearing in the weekly updates, sales, and so on just because Valve is handling the technical side of things.

They wouldn't get free reign. If Valve indeed gets tasked to handle Nintendo's storefront and the world ends, I'd expect a more streamlined system, a more userfriendly system, and a more efficient system. But I don't understand the dreams of some of this other stuff. if they outsource this out, they're not just going to step out of the picture.

For good and bad, they're still going to be the ones making the decisions. Like I said, the content isn't going to change since the only things going up are going to be what Nintendo approves and sends to Valve to upload. And a few minutes on occasion in the Wii U Shop isn't something to get too worked up over no matter who is handling the day to day chores.
post #83 of 1142 Old 05-19-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
Analog sticks?

Full size
post #84 of 1142 Old 05-19-2012, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

http://m.kotaku.com/5911725/starfox+...ored-for-wii-u

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #85 of 1142 Old 05-20-2012, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elD0qD86abc

Kwing's E3 predictions.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #86 of 1142 Old 05-20-2012, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Hope that picture is accurate. I'd prefer proper analog sticks over analog sliders.
post #87 of 1142 Old 05-21-2012, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Same. The circle pad makes sense for a portable but it's not as precise as a real stick.
post #88 of 1142 Old 05-21-2012, 06:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I just hope they use a proper circle instead of those little notches that kinda force you into 8 directions.

post #89 of 1142 Old 05-21-2012, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Lucky you, it looks like the Wii U sticks now indeed have a circular gate instead of octagonal.
post #90 of 1142 Old 05-21-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:

No idea about Metroid, but StarFox was my favorite game on the N64. That would be a game that might get me to buy the WiiU.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Closed Thread Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page