AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Youtube works in the browser.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1142 Old 11-18-2012, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Nintendo has been saying for 18 months now that BC will not be upscaled or otherwise processed, so I don't think that's accurate. Could what you're seeing be something like a reciever upscaling it and making it show as 1080p on your HDTV?
post #903 of 1142 Old 11-18-2012, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Nintendo has been saying that BC won't be rendered any higher. I don't think they've said anything concrete about simple scaling. Even if they have, when a PR drone hears "1080p scaling" they think "renderinglol!!1" I'd estimate 97% of the time.
post #904 of 1142 Old 11-19-2012, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Nope, they've specifically said that it won't upscale Wii software. I don't think anyone expected it to render games at higher resolutions due to the complexity (Which is a shame since the Dolphin emulator shows just how nice it can look).

Beyond their own Nintendo 64 emulator, has anyone on a console or handheld ever rendered emulated games at a higher resolution in a commercial product? Bleemcast perhaps?

If it does upscale Wii software (and I assume deinterlace when necessary) despite their repeated statements otherwise, that's a nice move for those that own HDTV's with weak scaling chips or those playing on a monitor which typically skimps on a scaling chip due to the ease of matching a PC with the native resolution of the monitor.
post #905 of 1142 Old 11-19-2012, 12:02 AM

Yup, early confirmation of BC upscaling is pretty easy to google up. This is a good. Source side scaling is almost always a better choice than display side. Display scaling is generic and intended to handle every possible source type. On the device end, the device knows what it's source content type is.
post #906 of 1142 Old 11-19-2012, 01:15 AM

Liked: 10
I'm also experiencing the overscan issue. Hopefully Nintendo can fix this. It's quite noticeable and no settings on my TV help.
post #907 of 1142 Old 11-19-2012, 01:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I can't find anything confirming it's true, but that's a nice little surprise.

Does it recognize when a game has anamorphic widescreen and scale accordingly? There's no reason why it shouldn't do things automatically if it's upscaling backwards compatible content, but you never know with Nintendo. Things that seem obvious don't always work out that way with them.

Edit - Just for the record, I changed my search terms and did find several reports about this discovery.
post #908 of 1142 Old 11-19-2012, 01:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I havent played any of my VC games on my Wii U yet, but when I went and did the system transfer I noticed the Wii menus were less blurry/fuzzy on the Wii U. Wii was hooked up to my Onkyo via component cable, Wii U in the same receiver but HDMI of course.

post #909 of 1142 Old 11-19-2012, 02:16 AM

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/General-Tech/NIntendo-Wii-U-Teardown-Photos-and-Video

PC Perspective tore apart a Wii U. I haven't read the article yet to know if it's any good as I came here to share it first. smile.gif
post #910 of 1142 Old 11-19-2012, 02:41 AM

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6465/nintendo-wii-u-teardown

Anandtech also tore apart a Wii U.
post #911 of 1142 Old 11-19-2012, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/General-Tech/NIntendo-Wii-U-Teardown-Photos-and-Video
PC Perspective tore apart a Wii U. I haven't read the article yet to know if it's any good as I came here to share it first. smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6465/nintendo-wii-u-teardown
Anandtech also tore apart a Wii U.

So I read both of these... I won't pretend that I'm some hardware expert (or even up to date anymore), but based on these tear downs, this feels like the hardware is definitely going to be limited this gen. Maybe not Wii level gimped, but it's certainly not going to hold up to a PS4/720 once they launch.

Which means dev support and 3rd party multiplats are probably going to go the same as Wii multiplats did. WiiU could very likely end up as another Nintendo 1st party machine. Not that we didn't expect that, I guess.

But the low power consumption. Wow! 33W while in a game is stunning, that's a third of PS3...
post #912 of 1142 Old 11-19-2012, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Opinions on the operating noise level of the WiiU?

I don't know if it's the disc spinning or not (I meant to take it out but forgot), but mine's kinda loud. And it appears to me the disc doesn't spin down if it's not used, but that's just based on perception and not any investigation.
post #913 of 1142 Old 11-19-2012, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I think it would be quite sometime before the average developer would be able to take significant advantage of next gen hardware. And the leap I suspect will be the smallest yet seen between two console generations. Going from native 1080p, lossless HD audio, and 60fps to the level consoles are at now where normal surround sound, 720p or lower, and 30 fps dominates doesn't strike me as a huge problem. Those projects will be able to be done justice on current gen specs with fairly minor downgrades and I'm sure most of these big licensable engines many developers go to will be supported on these consoles for years to come.

And perhaps even more important is the two HD consoles that are already established. With two existing platforms out there with similar horsepower that will have extended stays in the marketplace after next gen hardware arrives (Unlike last time where the GCN was dead even before being replaced and with MS torpedoing the Xbox), I don't think the future for 3rd party development as far as the tech specs go is going to be as bleak for them as last time around. Most of your big 3rd party projects are going to make appearances on the 360 and PS3 for the first several years I bet making a WiiU port even easier from an economic viewpoint. Going to be lots of Call of Duty 3's, King Kong's, and similar instances from 5-6 years ago this time around where current gen and next gen releases are identical beyond the obvious technical adjustments.

Not to mention that they have at least a year, if not more for one or both competitors, before one or both of those threats even make an appearance. Hopefully by then the console will be considered a success, a viable area for 3rd party AAA content, and be a platform publishers will want to be at even if it takes a little bit of extra effort to bring Xbox 720 and Playstation 4 projects to it.

It will be a problem no doubt, but hopefully less of an issue than last time around.
post #914 of 1142 Old 11-19-2012, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 62
So I had a nightmarishly terrible launch experience at Nintendo World. I elected to show up around 2AM, after I was told that they'd stay open till 4 taking care of everyone in line. Well, long story short, they closed the store up a bit before 4 when there were NINE PEOPLE LEFT IN LINE (I was #5), due to some arbitrary wristband rule they had decided on around midnight (I called them twice earlier in the day and no one mentioned anything to me about wristbands). Like, we were literally right in front of the door, and they shut us out in the (literally) cold. I could not believe my eyes. I almost swore off Nintendo products right there.

It's not like I don't get where they're coming from -- it was a long, hellish day for the staff I'm sure, but clearing the rest of our orders couldn't have taken more than 15 minutes tops, and considering the four people in line in front of me had been there for well over 3 hours, I am still shocked they didn't just wave us all in. They made it clear that they had plenty of units, but kept saying they "had to cut it off somewhere" (even though almost no one showed up after I did, two hours earlier). Those people ahead of me begged and pleaded -- even some of the outside security guards they'd hired for the event were shaking their heads, saying the staff was being pretty coldhearted -- but the Nintendo World staff wasn't having any of it. They told us to come back in the morning around 9AM for when they'd open the doors at 11AM. They weren't even REALLY closing -- just locked the doors, and over the next seven hours there was staff constantly milling about inside.

At that point I was pretty pissed off so I became intent on not going home until I got what I came for. I figured going home at that point would only net me about 2-3 hours of sleep before I had to come back anyway. So, like a lunatic, I just stayed out until the next morning. I made an alliance with another of the nine leftovers, who had come in from DC just for the launch, and he agreed to hold my place as he stoically stood there for the next 7 hours straight, while I warmed up in a nearby coffee shop (even tried to sleep on the floor of my nearby office). I came back around 8, and was first in line when they reopened three hours later. This was a completely irrational decision of course, since they made it clear they had plenty of units and I had preordered besides, meaning I could've easily, leisurely come back later that Sunday. But I just could not deal with going home empty-handed after all that.

So, long story short, I stayed out in the cold for half a day, and went over 48 hours with no sleep, all to get a console I had A) reserved, and B) Is apparently readily available at a number of places. So yeah, uh, never, ever doing a midnight launch again.
post #915 of 1142 Old 11-19-2012, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

So I had a nightmarishly terrible launch experience at Nintendo World. I elected to show up around 2AM, after I was told that they'd stay open till 4 taking care of everyone in line. Well, long story short, they closed the store up a bit before 4 when there were NINE PEOPLE LEFT IN LINE (I was #5), due to some arbitrary wristband rule they had decided on around midnight (I called them twice earlier in the day and no one mentioned anything to me about wristbands). Like, we were literally right in front of the door, and they shut us out in the (literally) cold. I could not believe my eyes. I almost swore off Nintendo products right there.
It's not like I don't get where they're coming from -- it was a long, hellish day for the staff I'm sure, but clearing the rest of our orders couldn't have taken more than 15 minutes tops, and considering the four people in line in front of me had been there for well over 3 hours, I am still shocked they didn't just wave us all in. They made it clear that they had plenty of units, but kept saying they "had to cut it off somewhere" (even though almost no one showed up after I did, two hours earlier). Those people ahead of me begged and pleaded -- even some of the outside security guards they'd hired for the event were shaking their heads, saying the staff was being pretty coldhearted -- but the Nintendo World staff wasn't having any of it. They told us to come back in the morning around 9AM for when they'd open the doors at 11AM. They weren't even REALLY closing -- just locked the doors, and over the next seven hours there was staff constantly milling about inside.
At that point I was pretty pissed off so I became intent on not going home until I got what I came for. I figured going home at that point would only net me about 2-3 hours of sleep before I had to come back anyway. So, like a lunatic, I just stayed out until the next morning. I made an alliance with another of the nine leftovers, who had come in from DC just for the launch, and he agreed to hold my place as he stoically stood there for the next 7 hours straight, while I warmed up in a nearby coffee shop (even tried to sleep on the floor of my nearby office). I came back around 8, and was first in line when they reopened three hours later. This was a completely irrational decision of course, since they made it clear they had plenty of units and I had preordered besides, meaning I could've easily, leisurely come back later that Sunday. But I just could not deal with going home empty-handed after all that.
So, long story short, I stayed out in the cold for half a day, and went over 48 hours with no sleep, all to get a console I had A) reserved, and B) Is apparently readily available at a number of places. So yeah, uh, never, ever doing a midnight launch again.

Ouch! I'm sorry to hear that. I'm glad I decided not to wait out at Nintendo World. I just went to walmart around 7am and picked one up lmao. I would of went to Nintendo World, but I just didn't have it in me. I've been working around the clock like a mad dog cleaning up after Hurricane Sandy. I was already low on sleep
post #916 of 1142 Old 11-19-2012, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

I am surprised that Nintendo World was that jerkish. Sorry to hear about that.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #917 of 1142 Old 11-19-2012, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Quote:

[Nintendo World Store sucks post]

Yikes, dude! Glad to hear you got yours, and hopefully you didn't have to ditch work today to get some rest.

Good News: Despite the cold and lack of sleep, it sounds like THIS was the real adventure... "ZeldaU" won't have anything over "Mongo's Midnight Launch"
post #918 of 1142 Old 11-19-2012, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I'm normally a pretty logical, rational human being, but Nintendo just brings out the dumb**** kid in me, for better or for worse. Never giving Nintendo World money again, I'll say that much. Well, not that I ever have before, since they never have sales.

The staff was kinda dickish to me recently before, too. I was playing the NSMBWU demo, and idly decided to press the "Home" button just to see what would happen. I figured all other functions would be locked out (as they are on the other demo kiosks) but much to my surprise I was able to access a menu with links to the e-manual, the home screen, etc. Next thing I knew some guy came running over with keys to unlock the kiosk to reset the console, scolding me super condescendingly about how I was pressing "the wrong buttons" and how I should "only touch A, B, X, Y, and the stick. Nothing else. Don't touch ANYTHING else. You got that?" I was like, dude, how was I supposed to know? There was no sign or any other sort of cue that I was never to touch the home button or I would release the vengeful demon of Retail Rage.

Anyway, I'm a little surprised my experience yesterday (and part of the day before) didn't color my perception of the console once I got it home, but well, I guess I was pretty brain-dead at that point anyway.

But as for general impressions, after basically spending all day playing:

-LOVE the hardware. Much more than I thought I would. The Gamepad is light, comfortable, responsive, and does almost everything I can imagine wanting a controller to do. The screen is vibrant and I can barely tell it's not HD. I think it might be the most comfortable controller I've ever held, which is funny since it's so massive. And I've already kind of fallen in love with being able to pick it up, turn it on, mess with settings, etc. for a while before even bothering to turn on the TV. For everyone skeptical of the appeal -- I sure was -- give it a chance. I'm betting after you put in some time with it, you will start to understand the potential here. This is the controller I want forever.

-I am, however, deeply disappointed that the Gamepad stops working when I take it into the bathroom (or my bedroom). It's almost like it knows where I'm taking it and decides to fake a coma instead. I was expecting to get better distance, as I live in a small apartment, but I've long suspected I have some sort of signal-blocking crap in my walls. You may experience better results.

-I cannot understate how great it is seeing Miis and Nintendo properties in HD, finally.

-Can I just say how awful it feels to turn on a new Nintendo system and be greeted by an hour-plus firmware update? Welcome to the modern gaming era, Nintendo!

-The Wii-to-Wii U transfer is mildly confusing at first, but plays a cute as **** and wholly unnecessarily intricate Pikmin animation as it works. Such a Nintendo-like touch.

-Unfortunately, and there is no nice way to say this, the OS is a goddamn mess -- it's slow as molasses (emphasis on "ass"), clunky and unintuitive. It feels like little is where it should be and once you actually figure out where it is you can expect 10-15 seconds of loading time to get there. (It seems Internet connectivity functions are responsible for much of the slowness--Miiverse could take almost 30 seconds to boot up, at least before it went down completely.) Your friends list? Nowhere on the home menu. Nowhere on Warawara plaza. Nope, it's tucked away in the secondary menu that comes up when you press the home button. Audio settings? Under the "TV settings" (of course!) subsection of the Settings menu. Hey, Warawara Plaza looks neat! Too bad you can't actually interact with it at all unless you display it on the Gamepad or pull out a Wiimote! Another example: Warawara has a zoom function labeled with "-" and "+" buttons, and hey, you'd think the "-" and "+" buttons on the Gamepad might control that, but nope, pressing those buttons instead does...nothing. The whole thing is just riddled with terrible, nonsensical design decisions.

-The Gamepad cannot control your AV receiver. In any way whatsoever. Sorry. It paired remarkably easily with my cable box and TV, however -- of course, I'll never use those functions now, since doing so would just get in the way of using my Harmony.

-Nintendoland: Fun, with lots of creativity and charm, with some real gems in there, but man, it is no Wii Sports. You know how with Wii Sports the whole idea was that you could basically pick up this weird new one-handed controller and be like, "Hey, a tennis ball onscreen, I wonder if I swing the controller like a raquet...hey it worked! This is awesome, let's buy this immediately!" Well, Nintendoland replaces that feeling with miles and miles of tutorials and instructional lectures via an annoying and frankly creepy anthropomorphized monitor before each of the minigames. That, right there, is emblematic on why I think the Wii U will be a tough sell to the general public. This is not to say that Nintendoland is a bad game--Metroid Blast is awesome, and I want a full-scale Metroid game like it immediately; Balloon Fight and F-Zero are my other favorites right now -- I just think it's bad at its job of being a gateway drug. I think it will be a massive hit with kids, though.

-Oh, and by the way, it turns out your Nintendo ID is linked to your specific hardware, which I don't particularly care about personally, but is definitely that classic bit of "Baby you said you'd change" Nintendo magic.

Summing up, I think the system has TONS of potential, but is a pretty big mess right now. That's not uncommon for a new hardware launch, but the sheer awfulness of the OS and the fact that the original Wii arguably never quite lived up to its massive early potential make me less optimistic. Still, I bought this basically expecting a Mario and Zelda machine, except now in HD, so I'm pretty satisfied -- I just wonder how many other people will be. So as a dork and a man-child and a weird Nintendo fan, I'm happy I got it, but when friends and family ask me about it I tell them not to bother...yet.
post #919 of 1142 Old 11-19-2012, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Quote:

-I am, however, deeply disappointed that the Gamepad stops working when I take it into the bathroom (or my bedroom). It's almost like it knows where I'm taking it and decides to fake a coma instead.

Good review Mongo, especially that ^^^ part. biggrin.gif

I think my impressions are in line with yours, except that I would call the OS a "mild" mess. They kept it fairly simple, but I was also confused about the Friends list, audio configuration, what to do in Warawara Plaza, etc.. But after poking around, I eventually found it or figured it out.

But that new controller/second screen is a true game changer. NintendoLand was a very smart pack-in, and I can't wait to see what devs do with it down the road. I wish it had a better battery life, but still - love it.
post #920 of 1142 Old 11-19-2012, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Regarding the battery life for the gamepad, did you notice that the batter compartment has a TON of extra room besides the battery? I am guessing a much larger capacity battery pack is probably coming out soon.
post #921 of 1142 Old 11-19-2012, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Your friends list is the smile face box in the plaza.

I do agree that the OS is a giant cluster of unnessessary stuff, just give me the entire menu like on the Gamepad/Wii/3DS, it works very well and you don't need this system memory hogging mess.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #922 of 1142 Old 11-19-2012, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Does the Wii U support HD over Component or is it limited to 480p?
post #923 of 1142 Old 11-19-2012, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
I'd love if Nintendo added away to control the volume on my receiver. Regardless, I'm loving the machine. I got COD, Scribblenauts, ZombieU, New Super Mario U and Nintendoland.

Does anyone know if epic Mickey has voice over work? The first one didn't and it was a big turnoff.

My Mii name is Teachinator if anyone is interested in building up their friends list.

post #924 of 1142 Old 11-19-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy View Post

Regarding the battery life for the gamepad, did you notice that the batter compartment has a TON of extra room besides the battery? I am guessing a much larger capacity battery pack is probably coming out soon.

Day one buy if it does!

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #925 of 1142 Old 11-19-2012, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I ordered from Newegg for the sales, but man did they screw this up. My Blops 2 order and my pro controller still hasn't shipped and my other orders aren't due until 11/26. All with 3 day shipping. The games were on store shelves all week, but they couldn't ship them out on Friday to get them here for thanksgiving? I haven't ordered from them before, but I'm not terribly impressed.
post #926 of 1142 Old 11-19-2012, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

All my Newegg Preorders are going to be delivered tomorrow based on the current tracking. Wednesday at the latest. Mine also say the 26th for delivery.

The Pro Controllers however are in very short supply, Newegg delayed all orders until next month.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #927 of 1142 Old 11-19-2012, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

All my Newegg Preorders are going to be delivered tomorrow based on the current tracking. Wednesday at the latest. Mine also say the 26th for delivery.
The Pro Controllers however are in very short supply, Newegg delayed all orders until next month.

Mine haven't made it to UPS yet, so I don't know what kind of track they are on. Did you get an email about the controller?
post #928 of 1142 Old 11-19-2012, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monger View Post

Mine haven't made it to UPS yet, so I don't know what kind of track they are on. Did you get an email about the controller?

I did some digging and saw the changed date, the estimated delivery date changed as well. This happened to everyone it seems.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #929 of 1142 Old 11-19-2012, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey, looks like Miiverse and Warawara Plaza are now working properly. Miiverse loads MUCH quicker than yesterday and Warawara is now populated with icons of the most popular (?) games. It's an interesting measure to see how popular a game is -- obviously Nintendoland and NSMBWU are crowded with Miis, but there's just a couple hanging around Ninja Gaiden III. Miiverse also now works properly within Nintendoland -- walk around the theme park plaza and you'll see lots of messages popping up, and more after you finish a minigame. I'm undecided how I feel about the whole concept yet, but it does make me feel a bit more connected to a wider world, and from this small sampling people seem helpful and nice. And I have to say, there seem to be a lot of talented artists posting through Miiverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Your friends list is the smile face box in the plaza.
I do agree that the OS is a giant cluster of unnessessary stuff, just give me the entire menu like on the Gamepad/Wii/3DS, it works very well and you don't need this system memory hogging mess.
Actually, now that Warawara is working properly, that icon's no longer there! But my point was there's not enough consistency or logicality to how the OS is set up. For instance, Miiverse, the web browser, the eShop and TVii can be found in both the bottom of the channel menu and in the home button menu. Meanwhile, your friend list, which you'd think would be at least as important, can only be found in the home button menu. It's weird that the first screen you see when you turn on the system is populated with strangers, but to see if any of your friends are online you have to press a button to open a secondary menu. Here's something that could potentially be updating every second, but its location in the OS seems to imply you'll only look at it as often as you calibrate the touchscreen or read the system e-manual.

You know, everyone shits on the PS3 XMB, but at least I can reasonably intuitively understand where everything is there (at least until you reach the overflowing toilet that is the "System Settings" subsection).
post #930 of 1142 Old 11-19-2012, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Under miiverse there is a section under notifications for friend requests. Anyone know what is supposed to show up there? Is it just friend requests through miiverse posts? A few people I've added from here had added me first, but nothing ever shows up under there.
Closed Thread Nintendo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page