AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Anyone playing Darksiders II on Wii U?
I notice it dropped to $50 on Amazon, and am kinda interested in it.

Digital Foundry did a face off here. It sounds a bit rough.
Quote:
Darksiders 2 on Wii U: the Digital Foundry verdict

And so another Wii U launch title arrives that doesn't quite hold its own against the existing PS3 and 360 versions. After the fairly impressive work done on the Wii U port of Assassin's Creed 3, we can't help but feel a little disappointed with Vigil Games' efforts here. The removal of light shafts and environmental detail doesn't overly harm the game considering that the core artwork is a close match in other areas, but the sharp drops in performance are hard to ignore when the low frame-rate has a noticeable impact on the feel of the controls, making them heavier and less responsive.

In terms of the Wii U-specific features, the added touch-screen controls do prove useful, making navigation of the cumbersome menus a breeze compared to using the standard controller on the other platforms, although we could do without having certain moves being mapped to the GamePad's motion sensing functions. In addition, with the poorer performance and reduced visual quality, it also means that there's little reason to pick up the Wii U version at full price when the PS3 and 360 versions can be purchased new for as little as £20 online (though obviously the DLC packs are not included).

In the final analysis, the PS3 version remains the most impressive version of the game with higher-quality textures in places and superior performance, followed by the 360 release, while the Wii U sits in last place. While short on platform-specific enhancements, the PC version is the one to play if you have the necessary horsepower to sustain higher resolutions and frame-rates. Regardless of its issues, Darksiders 2 is still worth picking up on Wii U if you don't have access to any of the other platforms: the game itself is large and rewarding to play, and the narrative nicely complements the original Darksiders with a concurrently running story that expands on the events of the first game. As a final recommendation though, we'd perhaps hold fire on a Wii U purchase until it comes down in price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1142 Old 12-13-2012, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Two more demos going up on the eShop today: Sonic Racing and Rayman Legends.
post #1083 of 1142 Old 12-13-2012, 06:47 PM

Liked: 93
These demos are the fastest downloads I have seen on the Wii U. Still far slower than the 360 or Steam, but at least somewhat in line with the PS3. It's still well in to "start the download and come back much later" territory, but it looks to be better. Maybe Nintendo has started to add some capacity to their network?

Also:

http://www.p4rgaming.com/?p=481

Nintendo has penis detection technology. The best quote?

"Kato: Kurisu-san suggested we study different types of penises in order to create figure out the relative shape and size people would draw. We spent a week doing that before we realized that we should have been looking at drawings of penises rather than real-life pictures. (laughs) We were very embarrassed about that."
post #1084 of 1142 Old 12-14-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I downloaded both demos in probably under half an hour, which is roughly on par with what I get on the PS3. The Sonic demo is hella fun. I already bought it but I'm not gonna open it till Xmas.

Every word of that penis-detection article is hilarious, but uh, that's just satire, right?
post #1085 of 1142 Old 12-14-2012, 07:40 PM

Liked: 11
Glad to see they are getting the picture on demos. $60 is a lot of money to drop for a video game without knowing if you like it. Downloading both of these now.
post #1086 of 1142 Old 12-14-2012, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Sonic Racing is worth every penny, had it since day one and love it.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #1087 of 1142 Old 12-15-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Sonic Racing is worth every penny, had it since day one and love it.

Just tried the demo... What a great game. Controls just feel right (something Sega seems to do well, IMO), and, unlike Mario Kart, the power ups are pretty fair.

Since you own the game, do you know what Gamespot is talking about regarding "broken modes" (link)? It dragged their review score down to a 6.0. Just wondering if the issue was fixed in an update or something.
post #1088 of 1142 Old 12-15-2012, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtiebird View Post

Just tried the demo... What a great game. Controls just feel right (something Sega seems to do well, IMO), and, unlike Mario Kart, the power ups are pretty fair.
Since you own the game, do you know what Gamespot is talking about regarding "broken modes" (link)? It dragged their review score down to a 6.0. Just wondering if the issue was fixed in an update or something.

Yeah, it was fixed with a patch last week.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #1089 of 1142 Old 12-16-2012, 10:09 PM

Liked: 10
Are the black levels in the netflix app horrible for anyone else? Amazon looks fine...
post #1090 of 1142 Old 12-16-2012, 10:55 PM

Liked: 93
If you are using the same HDMI input for 360/PS3/Blu input and have it calibrated to deeper blacks, then all of the Wii is too bright. Wii only supports 16-235, PS3/360 do 16-235 by default, but can both be set to 0-255 if desired. The best option is to run 16-235 on everything for maximum compatibility, assuming a single HDMI input from a receiver/switch. If you are hooking up Wii direct to a dedicated HDMI in on your display, then check out your Black Level settings on the display. smile.gif
post #1091 of 1142 Old 12-17-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I gotta say, I didn't think much of the Rayman demo when I played it in stores, but apparently I chose the wrong parts to play -- the Castle Rock section is amazing; it's fun, funny, inventive and engaging. I played it three times last night. I don't know if I'd want an entire game like that, or if it still quite sold me on the game as a whole, but man, that is a great showpiece.
post #1092 of 1142 Old 12-17-2012, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I didn't much care for it either, but it sure was pretty. Whatever team at Ubisoft that is responsible for these last two Rayman games are wizards at art direction (At least where the environments are concerned, I don't like the new look for the characters like Rayman compared to the classic games).
post #1093 of 1142 Old 12-17-2012, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I like the art style a lot, but not the character design. They all look "generic Flash animation character" to me. Still, the game looks damn good. Like a moving painting.
post #1094 of 1142 Old 12-18-2012, 10:39 AM

I'm going to have to be careful about the "balloon save" feature in NSMBU. Twice now, I've forgotten to use it, and, since I had previously used it, lost several hard-earned flags and coins.
post #1095 of 1142 Old 12-18-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtiebird View Post

I'm going to have to be careful about the "balloon save" feature in NSMBU. Twice now, I've forgotten to use it, and, since I had previously used it, lost several hard-earned flags and coins.

If you forget to use it, does it revert back to the previous save point?

post #1096 of 1142 Old 12-18-2012, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't own it, but the feature was present in at least the Wii version. If you don't do a temporary save, you just revert to the last "hard save". In the DS original, you had to spend coins to save anywhere or finish a castle or a fortress. So this feature was tossed in since then to make it a bit more convenient for the player by allowing them to do a temporary save at any time. Not sure why it's just not auto saved after every level but it's not much of a problem at least.

Just read a preview for Lego City Undercover. I'm not sure how well it will turn out technically nor do I know how well it will be executed. But the premise has my attention at the very least.

http://www.gamespot.com/lego-city-undercover/previews/absent-a-movie-license-lego-city-undercover-still-has-charm-to-spare-6401574/?tag=Topslot;LegoCityUndercover;AbsentAMovieLicenseL

I hope it turns out well.
post #1097 of 1142 Old 12-18-2012, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
ugh that makes me never want to buy this game

everyone but nintendo has figured out saving

even mario galaxy 1 saves after every level

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #1098 of 1142 Old 12-18-2012, 07:48 PM

Part of the problem is the auto shutdown. It would be nice if the game was smart enough to do a balloon save before shutting down.
post #1099 of 1142 Old 12-18-2012, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

At least you can manually save anywhere at anytime.

It was annoying with the original DS game having to replay certain levels when finished if you lacked enough coins to pay for a save.
post #1100 of 1142 Old 12-19-2012, 12:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
after you beat the NSMB game once, then you CAN save the game anytime. and the Auto Shutdown feature CAN be disabled. what are you guys complaining about? rolleyes.gif
post #1101 of 1142 Old 12-19-2012, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I never quite got the rationale behind the limited-save structure of the NSMB games (especially the portable versions). It kinda kills the "just one more level!" addiction of the franchise when you know you'll have to beat three more levels in addition just to be able to save.

On another note, Nintendo just confirmed the NA launch of the Wii U's "TVii" app on 12/20. I was beginning to wonder if they'd miss the previously announced December window. I'll be satisfied if this adds even one useful, convenient or fun aspect to my TV viewing experience, so uh, keeping expectations in check.
post #1102 of 1142 Old 12-19-2012, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

I never quite got the rationale behind the limited-save structure of the NSMB games (especially the portable versions). It kinda kills the "just one more level!" addiction of the franchise when you know you'll have to beat three more levels in addition just to be able to save.

I always assumed it's a throwback to old Mario games like SM3 on NES, but that doesn't make it fun... games have come a LONG way since then.

Saw this on engadget this morning. TVii is coming tomorrow, I await your impressions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by engadget.com 
Nintendo of America announced this morning that its delayed Nintendo TVii service for the Wii U will launch on December 20. Nintendo TVii, first introduced back in September, intends to tie all of your currently balkanized media services on the Wii U -- various streaming services, your cable box, and your DVR -- into a single, cross-searchable application. At launch, the service will tie in Hulu Plus and Amazon Instant Video, but Netflix and TiVo are skipping the party until some time in "early 2013."

Nintendo TVii was given a December 8th launch date in Nintendo's home country of Japan, lining up with the launch of the company's new console; the TVii service notoriously missed the launch of the console everywhere else in the world, remaining absent ever after its various support services were added (Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant, etc.) as individual apps. Like those apps, Nintendo TVii wasn't built by Nintendo itself, but in a partnership with i.TV. It's unclear what lead to the delay of the TVii service, but we're glad to see it arrive ahead of the various big present-giving days.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/19/nintendo-tvii-december-20/
post #1103 of 1142 Old 12-19-2012, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
One more article... this one is hilarious, mostly because it's clear the writer and editors have NO idea what a WiiU is, or what a Wii is, or what a 'portable console' is... despite the video obviously showing and mentioning this as WiiU's (highlights are mine):

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/2012/12/thieves-steal-2m-worth-of-wii-consoles/?
Quote:
Police in SeaTac, Wash., are asking for help in tracking down thieves who they said stole $2 million worth of Nintendo Wii gaming consoles.

The thieves managed to get away with 7,000 portable Wii gaming consoles after raiding a warehouse at SeaTac’s Seattle Air Cargo.

“I’ve been a cop for 28 years, and I’ve never seen anything like this,” said Sgt. Cindy West. “This has come straight out of the movies.”

West explains the thieves drove two large diesel trucks into a Nintendo distribution site inside Seattle Air Cargo on Saturday evening around 9 o’clock. The thieves worked together to snatch up thousands of consoles by operating forklifts within the warehouse. Afterward, they loaded the Wiis into two 53-foot semi-truck trailers waiting outside the center along with another large box-truck van.

Nintendo Wii gaming consoles retail for about $300. Check out our Wii U review here.

Be looking for these on eBay for less than retail!
post #1104 of 1142 Old 12-19-2012, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

I like the line "Nintendo Wii gaming consoles retail for about $300." I guess you wouldn't want to be specific when reporting news. rolleyes.gif

post #1105 of 1142 Old 12-19-2012, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 61
I'll take a two hour update if true.

Eurogamer
Quote:
Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has confirmed that the company is working on a fix for the system's obscenely long load times when switching between applications.

Iwata addressed the performance issue during the latest Japanese Nintendo Direct presentation (via The Verge), though there was no mention of when a possible patch will be released.

Engadget says by the end of December
Quote:
The Wii U launch didn't go quite as smoothly as consumers would've liked, with a major update to sit through right after unboxing, and support for various video streaming services absent on day one. Well, head honcho at Nintendo Satoru Iwata has taken to YouTube and announced from his cream studio that the next system update is due late December. It's primarily being pushed out to improve the frustratingly slow software loading times on the new console -- an issue we highlighted in our review. Iwata only makes a fleeting appearance at the beginning of the video before it moves on to talking up the latest Dragon Quest iteration, but if you've got a decent knowledge of Japanese, the embed awaits you below.
post #1106 of 1142 Old 12-19-2012, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Anything been done about Wii mode stretching all 4:3 content that didn't have an anamorphic widescreen mode that would automatically pillarbox the game for you when 16:9 was selected (A few 4:3 games did that like Mega Man 9/10, the Virtual Console demos on Animal Crossing, I think Super Mario All-Stars, and I assume the new Kirby compilation)?

I really want to transfer my WiiWare and Virtual Console software to this, but only if I can pillarbox them and maintain the correct 4:3 ratio while keeping the system in HD. Wii U's upscaling was stretching all Wii content at release even if there isn't an anamorphic widescreen mode.
post #1107 of 1142 Old 12-22-2012, 08:40 PM

Its
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

If you are using the same HDMI input for 360/PS3/Blu input and have it calibrated to deeper blacks, then all of the Wii is too bright. Wii only supports 16-235, PS3/360 do 16-235 by default, but can both be set to 0-255 if desired. The best option is to run 16-235 on everything for maximum compatibility, assuming a single HDMI input from a receiver/switch. If you are hooking up Wii direct to a dedicated HDMI in on your display, then check out your Black Level settings on the display. smile.gif

It's strictly netflix. Amazon and everything else looks fine and my display is set for limited rgb.
post #1108 of 1142 Old 12-31-2012, 12:44 PM

Got a Wii U for the Holidays. I enjoy it and it will get better with more time but ran into a couple quite major disappointments.

The Wifi seems broken. Whereas all my other devices hook up to the internet fine from the location, the Wii U refuses. Or it drops in and out. I had to use an ethernet adapter to pull down the update, thankfully I had one.
NO optical out. NO separating out L/R from HDMI. Its either 100% HDMI or 100% AV. Thus if you're receiver doesn't have any HDMI you are screwed. I'm saddled with 720p over component with stereo as my receiver doesn't have any HDMI. (My TV will only do up to 1080i over component)
Thus whereas I can run my 360 and PS3 beautifully with the same receiver the Wii U is a total cluster job.
The surround sound doesn't bother me too much as I'm 95% of the time using headphones anyway, Nintendo's inability to give us the option is really dumb. Hopefully they can patch in or sell an adapter to separate HDMI from A/V or maybe an HDMI adapter.

To others I'd probably suggest waiting on this. While NSMB and NintendoLand are fun, they aren't worth 350$ on a semi borked machine. Plus the 5 gig day one patch.
If anyone has any workarounds I'd be appreciative.
post #1109 of 1142 Old 12-31-2012, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
The day one patch is only a gig, this was confirmed by Nintendo.

As for your wifi problem, look here.

http://m.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/64663922

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #1110 of 1142 Old 12-31-2012, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
My kids have had the wii u since Xmas, pretty neat system, really like the game pad. Nothing special though, if Nintendo thinks they are going to get the hardcore gamers back with this. They are wrong.
Closed Thread Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page