Wii U - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1142 Old 06-03-2012, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 560
So some devs might leave the screen black or cop out with a map or score board only, making this controller very useful for those games.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1142 Old 06-03-2012, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

All of that social stuff just seems crazy. You're going to ask some dude for help with a game, and youre going to get called a ****** and maybe even get a live action shot of their junk.

lol. Yeah, I'm sure they have options to keep it to friends only. Who would want a bunch of randoms messages on their Mario map?

post #183 of 1142 Old 06-03-2012, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monger View Post

lol. Yeah, I'm sure they have options to keep it to friends only. Who would want a bunch of randoms messages on their Mario map?

I have a friend on psn called captain nopants, so that barrier may not help...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #184 of 1142 Old 06-03-2012, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

I saw nothing about the Wii U's gamepad being able to act as a tv remote control. All I saw was mention of the button you'll hit to switch the Wii U's video output between tv and the tablet's screen.

Doesn't sound like a bad idea if true. I have no complaints about being able to do something like adjusting my tv's volume level directly from my controller.

I think I'm going to wish I could use this new Pro Controller on both my 360 and PS3. Looks like the best of Microsoft's controller combined with a Nintendo d-pad.

There was channel up/down and a guide button at the beginning. It sounded like it grabs programming data too. My stuff is all rf controlled so I can't make use of it.

post #185 of 1142 Old 06-03-2012, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Yeah.. I probably wouldn't answer his calls.
post #186 of 1142 Old 06-03-2012, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Everyone see how voodoozen is copying your content out of this thread and in to another one? Man, that is awesome.
post #187 of 1142 Old 06-03-2012, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Thank goodness I have no content.

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
post #188 of 1142 Old 06-03-2012, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen View Post

Seems like it's only for multiplatform games and legacy/ported stuff, at least there was no mention of BW compatability specifically. I read that as "not all devs want to include screen functionality" rather than "we're gonna let you play DKCR with traditional controls", sadly.

Love to be wrong, but not getting hopes up.

Of course they're not going to suddenly allow this controller to work in something like Skyward Sword.

But I presume Wii software with existing Classic Controller and GameCube support could take advantage of this.
post #189 of 1142 Old 06-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

Of course they're not going to suddenly allow this controller to work in something like Skyward Sword.

True, but still thinking they meant ports could potentially use the tablet or the pro either/or, but pretty much all first party stuff will support the touch controller exclusively
Quote:

But I presume Wii software with existing Classic Controller and GameCube support could take advantage of this.

This for sure. But any kind of alternate control scheme/button mapping options where possible would be a real selling point for the gamer demographic N's trying to win back.
post #190 of 1142 Old 06-03-2012, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Well, I saw a familiar screen on the Wii U controller from Wii Fit plus, so I'm already primed.

(Yes, I know I'm not as hardcore as the rest of you, but a sale's a sale, eh??)

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
post #191 of 1142 Old 06-03-2012, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Thinking about it more, having the tv remote/guide in the pad is a great idea. It makes the Wii U the center of the living room. The pad is always in your hands. The social network is always in front of you. Add sports apps like gametracker that shows games/stats and a fantasy tracker for your fantasy teams you can seamlessly transition back and forth to while you switch games on the tv. You can put ads/notifications on there for new content added to the nintendo store to keep people informed and shopping.
post #192 of 1142 Old 06-04-2012, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Like my friends aren't going to call me a homo and send pictures of their asses

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #193 of 1142 Old 06-04-2012, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
On the one hand, I think Nintendo needs to move in the direction of social media, video content, etc. It's a refreshing, needed sign of change from them. On the other, I sort of miss their old attitude of just making a games console, and letting Sony and MS fight the battle to be the media center that mostly just does things that are done slightly better by other stuff.

Sidenote: I am going to send drawings of soooooo many dicks. And maybe an occasional graphic close-up of a vagina. You know, for variety.
post #194 of 1142 Old 06-04-2012, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Credit goes to IGN, but looks like on that screen they also give us a first look at the "achievements" that will be on the Wii U. Cleared in under 100 seconds that shows up in gold. Really looking forward to seeing their press conference tomorrow. Once the price is in my range, daresay I'll be going back to an old friend after I skipped the last generation in Wii. It looks like Nintendo listened/realized that they need the hardcore gamers this go around to be successful.
post #195 of 1142 Old 06-04-2012, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

Sidenote: I am going to send drawings of soooooo many dicks. And maybe an occasional graphic close-up of a vagina. You know, for variety.

NSFW, but just absolutely guaranteed
post #196 of 1142 Old 06-04-2012, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow View Post

Like my friends aren't going to call me a homo and send pictures of their asses

Man... people in this thread have way more awesome friends than me... but back on track, Miiverse has the probability to generate a lot of NSFW Xbox Live-level 'exposure' (the bad kind). Not sure how the visual achievements/color bars/trophies will be received by hardcore enthusiasts, but that is kinda cool. Wonder if theyll do proper gamercards as well?

different subject: Pro controller will work only if third parties support it and gamerz move back to Nintendo... Coz Ninty doesn't have the best track record on supporting what could have been some great- and Nintendo official- HID's:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
ok ,a FEW could have been great. Most are just 'unique', but hey...

NES

GB

SNES

'Cube

Wii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schloob1 View Post

Once the price is in my range, daresay I'll be going back to an old friend after I skipped the last generation in Wii. It looks like Nintendo listened/realized that they need the hardcore gamers this go around to be successful.

Dude... no better time. Craigslist "Wii" and buy someone's bundle for <$150, you'll be in heaven. Many great games to catch up on, and on the cheap right now, plus they're all BC on the WiiU.
post #197 of 1142 Old 06-04-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 567
I would NOT buy a Wii now. The Wii U is said to be backward comparable and just on the off chance that the video output is better and/or Nintendo decides to offer HD redux's of their best games is a good enough reason, IMO, to wait.

Skyward sword is the hardest game I've ever played. Not because of the difficulty level but because the game is so fun and yet SO ugly to look at. I imagine it'd be like sleeping with a really cool ugly chick-- sure her personality is great and she's always a fun time but DAMN if looking at her isn't a cold shower if-you-know-what-I-mean.

Now, if Nintendo gives her a little nip here and a little tuck there... Ooh baby!

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #198 of 1142 Old 06-04-2012, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Man... people in this thread have way more awesome friends than me... but back on track, Miiverse has the probability to generate a lot of NSFW Xbox Live-level 'exposure' (the bad kind). Not sure how the visual achievements/color bars/trophies will be received by hardcore enthusiasts, but that is kinda cool. Wonder if theyll do proper gamercards as well?

different subject: Pro controller will work only if third parties support it and gamerz move back to Nintendo... Coz Ninty doesn't have the best track record on supporting what could have been some great- and Nintendo official- HID's:

* SPOILER *

NES

GB

SNES

'Cube

Wii

Dude... no better time. Craigslist "Wii" and buy someone's bundle for <$150, you'll be in heaven. Many great games to catch up on, and on the cheap right now, plus they're all BC on the WiiU.

FYI both of those "SNES" controllers are actually for the NES. I don't remember whether there were any for the SNES.
post #199 of 1142 Old 06-04-2012, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Bull View Post

FYI both of those "SNES" controllers are actually for the NES. I don't remember whether there were any for the SNES.

ah - good point. I meant the score master for SNES (just flat messed up the where I put power pad):

post #200 of 1142 Old 06-04-2012, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ah - good point. I meant the score master for SNES (just flat messed up the where I put power pad):

Super Scope.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #201 of 1142 Old 06-04-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Wii U is getting more interesting all the time. While the Wii has been collecting some dust these days, the major blame for that comes down in part to currently being a two 3DS household.

Seems that WiiU/3DS integration is part of Ninty's future plans.

I am curious to see if existing WiiShop purchases/account info will be transferrable to WiiU - and if so, will it go beyond WIiWare/VC stuff (i.e. - seeing as RockBand DLC is a WiiShop product & the system is BW-compatable w/ Wii - will it be transferrable to one's WiiU account?)

I hope an answer either way comes out of E3 this week.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #202 of 1142 Old 06-04-2012, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

anyone following the MS conference?

They just announced "Xbox Smart Glass", which they called a a “second screen” feature and allows users to stream between any iOS, Android or Win8 phone, iPad or Win8 tablet straight to your TV through the Xbox. Smart Glass connected with both a movie and a game playing on the screen, shows info and tidbits on the movie, but allowed for selecting plays in sports games or view inventory on other games. Demo'd a bit of Madden using touch controls. Similar to Airplay.

Also announced you'll be able to use IE on Xbox as of this fall, controlled by Smartglass or kinect. Interesting how similar Ninty and MS are going on controls and inputs...
post #203 of 1142 Old 06-04-2012, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I honestly saw nothing I would use in the smartglass preview. My smartphone already does most of it better.

Though, the Halo 4 stuff felt like Metroid Prime's scanning.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #204 of 1142 Old 06-04-2012, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I honestly saw nothing I would use in the smartglass preview. My smartphone already does most of it better.

Question now is: Will WiiU handle it better? I like the idea of streaming my game to the WiiU gamepad, but the rest looked fairly compentent. I'll wait to see it in action, but the any phone/tablet part is unusually well thought out for MS...

Quote:

Though, the Halo 4 stuff felt like Metroid Prime's scanning.

no kidding. All I saw was literally MP:Halo. HUD was similar, enemies looked amazingly like space pirates, had visor swapping, and the environment was straight up Tallon Overworld
post #205 of 1142 Old 06-04-2012, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

no kidding. All I saw was literally MP:Halo. HUD was similar, enemies looked amazingly like space pirates, had visor swapping, and the environment was straight up Tallon Overworld

.... Holy crap your right, I thought it felt familiar, but I brushed that off as Halo (4) this is a straight up Prime knockoff in that gameplay segment...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #206 of 1142 Old 06-04-2012, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

.... Holy crap your right, I thought it felt familiar, but I brushed that off as Halo (4) this is a straight up Prime knockoff in that gameplay segment...

LOL - exactly. and the whole time all I could think was "C'mon, Retro... Please have an new HD Metroid tomorrow. Please have a new HD Metroid tomorrow"

E3 would be leveled from the roar of the crowd, and hype would literally shut down the internet. And I'd have to seriously reconsider my WiiU stance.

[edit] gameplay vid
post #207 of 1142 Old 06-04-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:

anyone following the MS conference?

They just announced "Xbox Smart Glass", which they called a a “second screen” feature and allows users to stream between any iOS, Android or Win8 phone, iPad or Win8 tablet straight to your TV through the Xbox. Smart Glass connected with both a movie and a game playing on the screen, shows info and tidbits on the movie, but allowed for selecting plays in sports games or view inventory on other games. Demo'd a bit of Madden using touch controls. Similar to Airplay.

Also announced you'll be able to use IE on Xbox as of this fall, controlled by Smartglass or kinect. Interesting how similar Ninty and MS are going on controls and inputs...

I do think that a new console and controller might be a tough sell for Nintendo if I can use my existing 360 and existing phone and tablet (with capacitive touch, not crappy resistive, to boot) to replicate the Wii U functionality. I'm sure I'll end up with a Wii U for the first-party games, but I just think it's going to be hard for Nintendo to sell. Again, this might change if they actually show some features I find compelling, but I really haven't seen much of that yet.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #208 of 1142 Old 06-04-2012, 12:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 1468
I get the feeling that the Xbox smart glass isn't going to be as widely supported or as impressive as the demo.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #209 of 1142 Old 06-04-2012, 12:21 PM

Liked: 93
When did this turn in to the Xbox section?
post #210 of 1142 Old 06-04-2012, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

When did this turn in to the Xbox section?

When MS showed off smartglass to try and steal some of Wii U's thunder.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Closed Thread Nintendo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page