Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 1142 Old 01-27-2012, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Nintendo assures us that there will be a good line up of games and a better-handled launch for the Wii U compared to the 3DS. Nonetheless, there are no specifics on anything.

Even the launch date is pretty generic: sometime during the year-end shopping season. Nintendo really knows how to put the snooze into its announcements.

Z--z-z-zz-zzzzzz...

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=145980689

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1142 Old 01-27-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 154
They have just recently said that it'll have online features that sound like it'll finally catch up though.

They announced Nintendo Network will have per-user accounts and digital distribution of games... you know, stuff that the PS3 did 5 years ago, and the original Xbox did a decade ago.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #3 of 1142 Old 01-31-2012, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There's "a report" that the Wii U name may be on the way out. Or maybe the report is way out.

http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-ent...lled-the-wii-u

http://www.geek.com/articles/games/n...-name-20120127

The on line naming frenzy has already begun.

http://www.giantbomb.com/wii-u/60-13...nge/35-533985/

post #4 of 1142 Old 01-31-2012, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I think it makes sense to keep the name if the controllers and games remain compatible. The 3DS confusion came about because there were 3 different models of DS already.

Wii 2 isn't that bad of an idea, that's what everyone called it first anyway. That or the Super Nintendo Wiinertainment System

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #5 of 1142 Old 02-01-2012, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

They have just recently said that it'll have online features that sound like it'll finally catch up though.

They announced Nintendo Network will have per-user accounts and digital distribution of games... you know, stuff that the PS3 did 5 years ago, and the original Xbox did a decade ago.

Better late than never.

As to the possible name change, Wii 2 seems boring but sensible as the Wii is rather ubiquitous at this point.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #6 of 1142 Old 02-01-2012, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I'd rather they kill the Wii name off completely. I won't debate the merits or pitfalls of keeping it or killing it off, but I didn't like it from day 1 and I still don't like the name.

It was a nice console that I will be playing for years to come, but the name stunk.
post #7 of 1142 Old 02-06-2012, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow View Post

Wii 2 isn't that bad of an idea, that's what everyone called it first anyway. That or the Super Nintendo Wiinertainment System

Ha! We could call it the Wiinie for short!

Doug
post #8 of 1142 Old 02-06-2012, 09:54 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

Sort of like how Sony came into the video game market years after Nintendo and Xbox came into years after that. I'm glad to see that Nintendo has "caught up," because they have been underrated these past few years by "hardcore gamers."
post #9 of 1142 Old 02-08-2012, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Maybe bring back the codename of the Wii: Revolution.

Still, I have not been that impressed with what I've seen of the Wii U. It seems like Nintendo is trying to catch up with Microsoft and Sony. Having played an Xbox 360, the next Xbox will blow away anything Nintendo puts out. The whole ecosystem is much more mature, and the built-in Kinect will grab the market that was attracted to the Wii.
post #10 of 1142 Old 02-08-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious View Post

Having played an Xbox 360, the next Xbox will blow away anything Nintendo puts out.

What do you mean by "blow away?" exactly? Xbox 360 has benefited primarily from:

(1) being first to market
(2) Xbox's online multiplayer service, superior to Wii and PS3 but also subscription based
(3) Wii's lack of HD adoption
(4) Wii's lack of third party titles like Read Ded Redemption, Mass Effect, Skyrim, Fallout, etc... which is really a side effect of #2
(5) PS3's absurd initial price
(6) Excellent marketing

None of my 6 points actually relate to the Xbox's ability to deliver superior game play over the PS3 or Wii. It literally is just a box, one which happens to be more powerful than the Wii. I won't even mention the Wii U. What have they done with the box to actually make a better game that Nintendo or Sony can't?

Frankly, the only thing that blows me away about the Xbox 360 is that if I purchase 3 TVs, 3 Xbox's and 3 copies of Forza motorsport and connect the 3 boxes together, I can actually play the game across 3 screens like one display.

To be fair, I am intrigued by the applications for kinect, and am hoping that they use this technology to make a great library of games (I will definitely buy a nextbox if this happens). I will also give a point to Xbox for having the best "traditional" controller, even though the D-pad sucks.

I do not want a nextbox to play Modewrn Warfair 17. I am passed the point where I expect every next gen consoles to catch up to last year's computer graphics. Either make the game fun to play with a controller or wand or kinect or wahtever. And don't sell me a console because it can be my home media center or whatever.
post #11 of 1142 Old 02-08-2012, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Having played an Xbox 360, the next Xbox will blow away anything Nintendo puts out.

Could've said the same thing about PS2. PS3 didn't end up doing nearly as well.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #12 of 1142 Old 02-08-2012, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeefxy1 View Post

What do you mean by "blow away?" exactly? Xbox 360 has benefited primarily from:

(1) being first to market
(2) Xbox's online multiplayer service, superior to Wii and PS3 but also subscription based
(3) Wii's lack of HD adoption
(4) Wii's lack of third party titles like Read Ded Redemption, Mass Effect, Skyrim, Fallout, etc... which is really a side effect of #2
(5) PS3's absurd initial price
(6) Excellent marketing

None of my 6 points actually relate to the Xbox's ability to deliver superior game play over the PS3 or Wii. It literally is just a box, one which happens to be more powerful than the Wii. I won't even mention the Wii U. What have they done with the box to actually make a better game that Nintendo or Sony can't?

Frankly, the only thing that blows me away about the Xbox 360 is that if I purchase 3 TVs, 3 Xbox's and 3 copies of Forza motorsport and connect the 3 boxes together, I can actually play the game across 3 screens like one display.

To be fair, I am intrigued by the applications for kinect, and am hoping that they use this technology to make a great library of games (I will definitely buy a nextbox if this happens). I will also give a point to Xbox for having the best "traditional" controller, even though the D-pad sucks.

I do not want a nextbox to play Modewrn Warfair 17. I am passed the point where I expect every next gen consoles to catch up to last year's computer graphics. Either make the game fun to play with a controller or wand or kinect or wahtever. And don't sell me a console because it can be my home media center or whatever.

I don't see the Xbox 360 as a gaming console anymore. You can do pretty much everything you can with an HTPC with it, plus many cable and fios providers are allowing subscribers to view live TV through the 360.

The rumors are pointing to the next Xbox having a blu-ray drive, and MS is making it a point to have the Xbox be the main box in the living room. Nintendo has no chance if they make a pure gaming console.
post #13 of 1142 Old 02-08-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:

I don't see the Xbox 360 as a gaming console anymore... Nintendo has no chance if they make a pure gaming console.

I actually commend Nintendo for making devices that have a narrowly defined scope and limiting additional features. No matter what MS did/does with a console, a Nintendo console would never be multi-purpose media hub. To quote Ivan Drago, "If he dies... he dies."

We may see the world with regard to gaming a bit differently, but that's okay.
post #14 of 1142 Old 02-17-2012, 03:37 AM

What will you all do with your Wii's when the Wii U comes out since it will support the Wii games?

I still have a bunch of games I haven't played, and I'm not sure if I should keep my Wii around to play them. I'd rather not sell it, but there is no real reason to keep it.
post #15 of 1142 Old 02-17-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Probably the same thing I did with my Gamecube and N64--stuff it in a closet and forget about it. Resell value is so low and it feels weird just throwing a system away.
post #16 of 1142 Old 02-17-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

Probably the same thing I did with my Gamecube and N64--stuff it in a closet and forget about it. Resell value is so low and it feels weird just throwing a system away.

I still remember the day when my mom made me give my NES to the neighbor's kids. And then later on, the SNES to a different neighbor; I still see that kid once in a while and all he does when I mention Nintendo is berate the Wii and praise the Xbox.
post #17 of 1142 Old 02-17-2012, 11:28 AM

Probably put the Wii U in the theater room and move the Wii to the workout room.
post #18 of 1142 Old 02-17-2012, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntennaMan1 View Post

Probably put the Wii U in the theater room and move the Wii to the workout room.

I was going to answer: "donate it, of course", but I like your idea better.

Doug
post #19 of 1142 Old 02-20-2012, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
I don't really want my gaming system to be too complicated. I've actually gravitated back towards the Wii from the Xbox 360... I just want to play fun games. If the Wii U will have the same 3rd party offerings as the other 2, and the solid first party games with HD (finally), I'm buying day one. I have a Blu ray player to cover my media needs. I think MS and Sony have lost that focus that these are gaming machines first and foremost.

Also, I hope the multiplayer and network access is free.

PSN - nnarum
post #20 of 1142 Old 02-20-2012, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntennaMan1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnarum23 View Post

I don't really want my gaming system to be too complicated. I've actually gravitated back towards the Wii from the Xbox 360... I just want to play fun games.

My Wii has been in the fitness/music/game room since day one. It's been used every day for 165 weeks as of this past Saturday

OTOH, my XBox 360 Kinect hasn't been used in months. I just can't get excitd about it. I turned it on finally this past weekend, did some online updates, got sick of the on-again/off-again accuracy of the Kinect, the stupid player sign in, the idiotic UI inconsistencies, and powered it down.

I should probably just sell it, but I keep wanting to like it more.

post #21 of 1142 Old 02-21-2012, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh, I dunno, I've been enjoying Kinect quite a bit since my brothers got the Dance Central games. Not a bad workout, either. Although given my general performance I like to think there are plentiful issues with its accuracy, myself...
post #22 of 1142 Old 02-21-2012, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

Oh, I dunno, I've been enjoying Kinect quite a bit since my brothers got the Dance Central games. Not a bad workout, either. Although given my general performance I like to think there are plentiful issues with its accuracy, myself...

I've got Dance Central and Just Dance 3 on XBox. I also have Just Dance 3 on the Wii. The graphics on the XBox 360 are clearly more engaging, but my "performance," such as it is, is consistently better on the Wii. It seems I have to keep adjusting for the Kinect.

My GF complained about it so consistently ("I did that! Why didn't it register? I should have gotten points for that!") that I refused to compete on Kinect anymore. When we battle on the Wii, there's no griping whatsoever, except when I beat her. That hardly ever happens.

If the Wii U or whatever it's called can match the XBox on the visuals, then the Xbox and Kinect get dumped.

post #23 of 1142 Old 03-07-2012, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
According to IGN, the promised Assassin's Creed title for WiiU from Ubisoft will in fact be Assassin's Creed 3, which was announced for an October 2012 release.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #24 of 1142 Old 03-07-2012, 07:33 PM

Nintendo has also licensed Gameware and Havok developer's tools for all Wii U developers to use for free.
post #25 of 1142 Old 05-02-2012, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
News!

Probably (almost surely) false, but a reported Google ad shows the WiiU listed at $349 at WalMart. The ad has since been removed, but nothing's ever really gone on the internet....

http://www.gamefocus.ca/news/16600.h...GLOHfM.twitter

With the recent murmurings of the horsepower being only around what the 360 has today, devs outright admitting they don't plan on bringing games to WiiU for launch (Capcom with RE6), and Ninty's own admission of not focusing on specs... I think $349 sounds about right.

Ask me and I say that's still $100 too much if all it is adds to the gaming scene is a single touch controller and Wii backwards compatibility. They really need a good E3 showing to get me back on the hype train. WiiU needs, no, absolutely must have a great online interaction and a metric ton of games in the pipe. 3DS showed quite clearly what happens when you come into launch with only half the of your good ideas implemented and lacking games people want...

-vdz
post #26 of 1142 Old 05-02-2012, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 61
I was expecting 299.

I don't know how much a controller like that would cost to produce but for current gen hardware with their tablet controller, anything over 300 seems like too much. At 350, they will need a really strong launch line up.

I'm excited for the the Wii U though. It has the potential to be a fun console for the family to play together like the Wii was.
post #27 of 1142 Old 05-02-2012, 02:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 1380
There's no way in the world I'm paying $349 for the equivalent of 6 year old hardware. The Wii was basically that in 2006, and it was $249, so that's my expectation.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #28 of 1142 Old 05-02-2012, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
I remember reading somewhere that the wii u costs barely under $200 for everything, controller included.

That does not include shipping and marketing though and with Nintendo not wanting to sell stuff at a loss, we may see a $300 price tag.

Hopefully they instead choose to sell it at a minor profit and aim for a $250 price to get momentum and take advantage of being first out the gate.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #29 of 1142 Old 05-03-2012, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd be surprised if it retails for over $250, no matter the cost to Nintendo. They seems to realize that $199 is the magic price point, and really only went $250 for the Wii because they figured they could get away with it after Sony priced the initial PS3 at Eighty Billion Dollars (and then keep getting away with it since it became such a runaway success). And add that to their recent harsh 3DS lessons...then again, I guess they could learn the wrong lesson from that, launch the Wii U at a high price and then slash the price once the PS3 and 360 successors are on their way. Hm. Hopefully not. Arrogant Nintendo is worst Nintendo.
post #30 of 1142 Old 05-03-2012, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 424
I'll go with launching at $299.

My logic: It's a $199 (launching price) console with a $99 controller. And "Available for $299 this Christmas" has a ring to it.

Just a gut feeling, which often isn't very accurate.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
Closed Thread Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page