Just received Wii as a gift- what next? (controllers, etc) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 02-05-2012, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Due to having three kids within just a few years, our gaming habits died with the GameCube. Well, that finally changed this past Christmas when we were given a hand-me-down Wii with one original controller and one with a "Plus" addition on the bottom.

I have done some research and understand the PLUS versions have improved motion tracking or something like that. Furthermore that the PLUS functionality has now been sucked into the remote itself and an "original" sized remote is now available called Remote Plus with the improved motion tracking included.

I am looking to buy FOUR of these remotes with Nunchucks as well as the Mario game that allows all three kids plus a grownup to play simultaneously. In recent years I have been (slowly, as time permits) taking my kids (7, 5, 4) through the true CLASSICS on our original NES: SMB, SMB3, Zelda, Metroid, and soon Castlevania. This may be leapfrogged now that the Wii is in the building though. That's okay though. I digress.

My three biggest questions are:
  • What are the available Remote Plus units, and which are best? Should I stick with the OEM "NINTENDO" brand for highest quality and reliability?
  • I'm a HUGE fan of Eneloop and LSD (low self discharge) NiHM batteries. But I have seen new "induction charging stations" and other fancy things for these remotes; what works best, what's most reliable? Should I just stick to my standard old Eneloop NiHM batteries? Certainly that seems to be cheaper (already have lots of both AA's and AAA's)
  • For good measure I ask, are the Remote Plus units really "all that much better" than the original remotes? No need to buy if it won't really make much of a difference...
So there is is- controllers, and batteries. My two biggest questions. I don't mind spending a few bucks, but I most definitely do NOT want to spend bucks on an off-brand only to have them fail and have to turn around and pay more bucks for replacements.

thanks so much!
..dane

audiodane's Panasonic Plasma Black Level Reset Widget
Self-contained widget based on work of mironto and others
Help for those battling HDMI extension
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-05-2012, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Stick with Nintendo brand. Use your LSD cells. Motion Plus only helps with games made specifically for it. So, buy one more regular cheap remote, and one Motion Plus included remote. That way you can play the few two-player Motion Plus games you come across. Also, I cant think of any 4-player nunchuck games, so two nunchucks should be fine.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-06-2012, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 114
You do not need four sticks. 2 tops. I would not recommend to anyone to spend more money on an already dead system.

Stick with the Nintendo brand though.
post #4 of 12 Old 02-06-2012, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Any controllers you do invest in will apparently also be put to use with the Wii U, or whatever Nintendo ends up calling the Wii follow up that hits sometime in 2012.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #5 of 12 Old 02-06-2012, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 198
In addition to the excellent advice that Darklordjames gave. here's some advice if you want to take advantage of the capabilities the Wii has of playing earlier software.

Your Wii has full GameCube capabilities (Only consoles sold in the last few months lacked GCN compatibility, so I'm sure your system has it). So if you want to explore the GameCube library of classics, consider buying some GCN controllers and a memory card (Those doors on the side of the Wii conceal GCN controller and memory card ports). That opens up a new console for you with many classics.

And a couple of Wii Classic Controllers will allow you to take full advantage of the Virtual Console library of classics available on the Wii for downloading. The Wiimote only works with systems older than the Genesis while the GCN controller is really lacking for most VC downloads beyond the Nintendo 64 releases. So a pair of Classic Controllers will allow you to enjoy some great Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo classics like Super Mario World if exploring some 16 bit classics sounds like fun to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post

I would not recommend to anyone to spend more money on an already dead system.

If they have an interest in it, now's the time to be acquiring things. I wanted a spare Playstation 2 to put away and seemingly overnight, new consoles had disappeared from retailers around here and many online retailers since I had apparantly waited a bit too long to acquire one.

Not everyone moves on to the latest and greatest thing immediately and not everyone never revisits an older console after buying a new one (Which I'm sure is a shock for many AVS users ). Especially when the poster mentions in his first post that they've been playing NES games, that should be a telltale sign that the Wii's impending obsolescence isn't going to be a roadblock to them enjoying the thing.

Plus, like has been stated, these accessories will be compatible with the WiiU and likely will play a major role on the system even beyond Wii backwards compatibility (Nintendo isn't expecting people to wave around WiiU tablets in Wii Sports 3, no doubt).
post #6 of 12 Old 02-07-2012, 01:06 AM

"these accessories will be compatible with the WiiU"

We haven't seen confirmation either way so I can't verify this, but I would not be surprised if only the Motion Plus version of the Wii Remote works with Wii U titles, dropping support for the original Wii Remote. In that light, it may make the most sense to buy Motion Plus Remotes exclusively if you are planning to move to a Wii U at some point.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-07-2012, 06:20 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

We haven't seen confirmation either way so I can't verify this

Nintendo showed the Wiimotes and Wii Balance board in use in some of the demo videos that popped up around the 2011 E3. These videos are on the Nintendo website.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-07-2012, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeefxy1 View Post

Nintendo showed the Wiimotes and Wii Balance board in use in some of the demo videos that popped up around the 2011 E3. These videos are on the Nintendo website.

IIRC, Nintendo confirmed Wiimote support, but then hinted that only M+ remotes will work with WiiU. Shady, but as long as there's M+ adapters you can bet Ninty will find a way to sell them. So basically... forever

And the balance board recently set a Guinness World Record by selling 42 million (MILLION!) units, if WiiU were to loose BB support I'd loose the little faith I have left in their peripheral decision making skills...
post #9 of 12 Old 02-07-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Frankly, I'd be perfectly fine with only M+ Wiimotes being compatible. I'd rather have that as the standard for Wii U games going forward, rather than sticking to the inferior, aging original Wiimote tech just so people can keep using the controllers they bought for a previous system six years ago.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-07-2012, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

"these accessories will be compatible with the WiiU"

We haven't seen confirmation either way so I can't verify this, but I would not be surprised if only the Motion Plus version of the Wii Remote works with Wii U titles, dropping support for the original Wii Remote. In that light, it may make the most sense to buy Motion Plus Remotes exclusively if you are planning to move to a Wii U at some point.

I really doubt they're going to mandate that only Motion Plus equipped remotes work on it. A major reason for compatibility is for backwards compatibility and greater than 99% of the library doesn't even support Motion Plus.

For WiiU games, I suppose they might mandate that developers only support Motion Plus. Even though I'm sure there will still be plenty of instances where Motion Plus wouldn't add to a game, such as light gun style games like if the WiiU were to get House of the Dead IV (Coming to the PS3 at long last).
post #11 of 12 Old 02-07-2012, 05:41 PM

As Mongo said, it really would be the best thing for Wii U titles to mandate Motion Plus as the only supported remote type. Allowing original Remote to work with Wii 1 titles would be fine and make sense, but again, we can't verify either way yet.

BigBeef - If you are going to be posting here, then I recommend the order of action that you should take is A) Read, then B) post. Posting without reading reflects poorly upon you.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-08-2012, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Okay, okay, my thread is not going to be game for flame. Sorry guys. I asked some simple questions, and got some GREAT recommendations, thank you.

Maybe I'll check ebay/CL and try to find some inexpensive remotes (plus or otherwise) for now, until more definitive information unfolds about the future plans of the platform.

As a few of you noticed, we're playing classic NES, with original controllers and everything- obsolescence is absolutely NOT my concern. My brother took our SNES (otherwise I'd take them there as well), and I also still have my GameCube. I was aware that Wii supported GC games, so I will be moving the GC to the bedroom for occasional use there (Metroid Prime/etc), and will use the Wii in the family room for big-screen gaming. Have a few small details to work out yet (Wii up with the TV? If so, then I need a comopnent+stereo over Cat5e adapter, which will set me back a little; Wii in the component rack? Then I need some wireless GC controllers which I've always avoided for simplicity.

So, will look for some cheap immediate controllers for all three kids plus daddy to play the team games (the "new" Mario Brothers game, etc). I will be looking into the VC games as well, one slow step at a time.

Thanks all for your great suggestions so far!
..dane

audiodane's Panasonic Plasma Black Level Reset Widget
Self-contained widget based on work of mironto and others
Help for those battling HDMI extension
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page