Zero input lag is a 'must' for motion control based titles... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-18-2012, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Now, I've been gaming on CRT's since the 80's back on the NES and I have quite a few problems with both LCD/plasma and LED techonology.

As for the Wii, I have been using a Sony Wega 32" CRT via Component Cables with my Wii since launch....It wasn't up until last Oct when i finally made the plunge into the HD world.

I toyed around with several HDTV's and finally settled on an LG 42" 1080p LK450 2011 LCD. This VA Panel set for non-HD gaming produces around 16-20ms for gaming which is top of the line, thee' best it can basically get in the HD world. and while this result is fantastic(almost as good as my CRT) for traditional controlled games like 'anything' retro, be it sidescrollers, fighters, platformers ect ect....

That is, until you step into 'motion control' territory for the Wii. While it still performs good, every one of those precious milaseconds counts so dearly. Understand that titles like Metroid Prime 3 boast 1:1 realistic fluid movements with their pointer controls. and My LAG free CRT beats the crap out of my current LCD.....in combination with my CRT's perfect motion handeling metroid Prime 3 is flat out jaw dropping 'control wise'....It blew me away, an experience i'll never forget when i played it on my CRT. revolutionary LAG free controls in the palm of my hands which gave the most immersive gaming experiences I've ever had. On my LCD.....Naddah.

Even the tilting based controls in wario land shake it feels a bit off on my LCD....yet traditional controls feel almost as perfect as my CRT, but those motion controls....nope.

for now...as in 8 months before the Wii U's release i think i may go back to playing the Wii on a 32" CRT Tube.....While my LCD boasts incredible brightness, Pure whites, a wider and vivid color gamut, progressive scan and a cleaner picture and widescreen-oh wait....Wii games aren't really widescreen. they LOOK worse when set to widescreen considering the games are native 640x480 which is full screen. By doing so you're basically getting a softer/blurrier image where as playing wii games in 4:3 produces the 'real' resolution which looks crisp and charp.

As for my LCD, The motion handeling and input lag especially muck up motion controled experiences. the input lag is good but not CRT-amazing.

As for anything using traditional conrols i have no problem whatsoever with this LCD. I wonder if lag will be a thing of the past by the time the Wii U is released....ya i doubt it.
Also the only real benifit in playing wii games on an HDTV would be for the progressive scan, or getting that LCD/LED brightness, pure bright whites, cleaner picture and wider color gamut. Which is actually a lot...Wii games look more amazing on my current LCD i'll admit....But gameplay comes first, which has left me so confused with this whole CRT, plasma, LCD ordeal. Onc the Wii U arrives there's no doubt I'll snag a 55" 1080p Plasma or LCD considering it will boast true widescreen, HD graphics and an HDMI connection ect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-18-2012, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 200
From my experience, motion controls are the most forgiving and the less needing of the two for precision. The Wiimote isn't so accurate and timely that a few MS of screen response on the average HDTV is going to do much to hinder the experience.

Point the Wiimote at the screen and start twisting the remote and watch the cursor struggle to keep up (And that doesn't even utilize the Wiimote's accelerometers). It's no where close to 1:1 with your actual motions, particularly without the Motion Plus accessory that few games even support.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-19-2012, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

From my experience, motion controls are the most forgiving and the less needing of the two for precision. The Wiimote isn't so accurate and timely that a few MS of screen response on the average HDTV is going to do much to hinder the experience.

Point the Wiimote at the screen and start twisting the remote and watch the cursor struggle to keep up (And that doesn't even utilize the Wiimote's accelerometers). It's no where close to 1:1 with your actual motions, particularly without the Motion Plus accessory that few games even support.

Metroid Prime 3 on a CRT(lag free of course) for ex feels absolutely 1:1 with my movements. The same deal goes for 'Sword Play' in Wii Sports resort. It's quite amazing actually. Pointer controls work flawless when done right.....Elebits is another fine example. However the 'tilt' based controls could be a 'smidge better' in most wii titles I'll admit. and 16ms is a lot more than a few milaseconds and that's the best it can get which is rare to begin with on most hdtv's which are all across the board in the input lag department.

Also, I was just playing around with metroid Prime 3 on my 27" CRT...and god, once again i'm reminded by how amazing the experience was. Perfect motion handeling and ZERO LAG makes it heaven. :P I then went back to play it on my LCD.....ugh. the 16-20ms completely makes a difference with the pointer controls which is dissapointing and the inherent LCD motion handeling destroys all detail giving it a VHS tape effect. lol....i think it's time i ditched my LCD and scored a Plasma, at least I'll get better motion handeling(yucky dithering aside) contrast ratio and black levels. Which is a must especially for movies.

Hell I haven't watched a movie on my LCD like in a month, it's completely putting me off.
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page